Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-20-2019, 12:05 PM   #1
ausreaper
Human being with feelings

Default Need help with track monitoring issue - noobish

Hi,

On Track 2 - I have audio coming in from a keyboard which I've sent to Track 1 Keyboard Mix.
On Track 3 - I have a VSTi triggered by the keyboard I'm live playing on Track 2 and I'm sending the audio from this VSTi Track 3 to Track 1 Keyboard Mix.

Lets say we ignore the VSTi Track 3 for the moment.

So I want to send the audio coming in from Track 2 live to Track 1 Keyboard mix.
I do this by adding a new send on Track 2 to Track 1 which comes up as 'new receive' on Track 1 routing dialog.

The reason I am doing it this way is because I want to control the input level of the audio coming into Track 1 Keyboard mix, with the fader on 'live' Track 2 so that I can record a balance between Track 2 to Live audio and Track 3 VSTi live audio onto Track 1 Keyboard mix.

My problem is that I seem to get a monitor boost that I don't want and I'm worried that I may be recording 2 separate inputs for the live audio Track 2 onto Track1 Keyboard Mix.

I've tried a lot of different configurations to try to get the fader on Track 2 to control the audio Level on Track 1 KBmix and be able to record the Track 1 KBmix but either I can't control the input level with Track2 fader or I can't record the mix on Track 1.

I've messed about with ,monitor only no record, record buttons, multi-channels, force stereo audio, route here-receive there, but to no avail.

If its pre-recorded audio on Track 2 or the VSTi - its no problem, so it seems to me like you can't task a fader on a live audio input track to control the input volume being sent to a sub-master track.
I'm fairly sure this can't be right or that I've missed or don't know something simple about this but I'm noobish to PC DAW and Reaper.

Any pointers would be very much appreciated.

Aus.

Last edited by ausreaper; 02-20-2019 at 12:40 PM.
ausreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:38 PM   #2
ausreaper

I think I've figured it out, thanks to this guy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcP_CWwd1Ac

Master Send 'uncheck' for Tracks 2 and 3. Master Send 'checked' for Track 1 KBmix.
Monitor-On only for Tracks 2 and 3, Monitor-OFF for Track 1 KBmix.
Record Disabled Mon only for 2 and 3, Record Stereo/Mono for Track 1 KBmix.

This gets the faders to work the level live going into KBmix Track 1 while recording the live mix to KBmix Track 1 in my situation.
Makes sense, sort of.... ;-)

Aus.

Last edited by ausreaper; 02-20-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:04 PM   #3
ausreaper

Eh...actually no thats not it - though its clarified it a bit for me.
The above solution only controls the Monitoring level, not the interface input level.

I use an M-audio FastTrack Pro so on the input panel for Track 1 KBmix I can select various appropriate options eg Stereo input FastTrack 1&2. There is an option for Input 4 channel so I'm going to try messing about again with options for that now..

Like I could just record the tracks separately and mix them - but I'd like to get the feel of a live balance right..

Aus.