Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 11-02-2010, 09:07 AM   #41
Smurf
Human being with feelings

I got too busy to jump in on this (RATS!!!!) but I will give them a listen to in a few!
Old 11-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #42
Schmidty

Default Redeux

So I went back and tweaked some stuff on Camerondye's suggestion, Realised that the Rhodes was indeed overpowering everything once I got it off my monitors. Tried to bring the Vox out a little more.
Interested to get some feedback 'cause I was experimenting with using the Haas effect for most of the panning throughout the track.

MP3

RPP
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:59 PM   #43
dblack

Here's my render and .rpp:
http://www.box.net/shared/seg8ga9c84
(Someone let me know if I did this whole box.net thing properly)

I used Rea plugs except:
Camelcrusher (my crutch):
http://www.camelaudio.com/camelcrusher.php
TAL Reverb II:
http://kunz.corrupt.ch/?Products:VST_TAL-Reverb_II

Some unorganized thoughts:
1. The organ. The sound and the playing are fabulous. I had to let the organ "win" over the guitar and e-piano. The way it comes in late in the song clearly indicates (to me) a desire by the artist(s) to have a huge climax.

2. The guitar. Not a huge commanding rhythm guitar. More pop than rock, to me. The fact that the player goes up into a fairly high (for rock-rhythm guitar) range indicates to me that no one thinks that the guitar is the "commanding," super thick instrument of the mix. Also, the sound compliments and enhances the organ beautifully.

3. Mono room. I used this as a "snare enhancer."

4. I wanted a mix that feels loud during the climactic bits.

5. I'm relatively new to this. I've been working on a full length LP with my buddy for about a year now. We have so-so mics and no sweet outboard pres or comps so I'm not at all used to having tracks of this quality to work with. It was fun.

6. I love the conversation about the tempo at the end. Been there.

7. I don't know shit about de-essing. Listening to my mix on headphones I've realized that I really need to get this under my belt. Can anyone point me towards a crash course (preferably online and, like, completely free of charge)?

8. The vocals. I think I need to learn to fader ride. The guy has lots of low notes that he's too quiet on. I did a bunch of weird automation stuff but it's a bit tedious. I don't know if I really want to spend hours and hours trying to enhance a singer's phrasing so that it fits in my (probably overly) loud-ass mix. How do I learn this? How do you guys do this in Reaper?

9. There's some fidgeting with the tambourine at the very beginning that I didn't notice before I rendered.

Constructive criticism is completely welcome. Thanks for listening.
-Dan
dblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #44
sundevil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblack View Post
Here's my render and .rpp:
http://www.box.net/shared/seg8ga9c84
(Someone let me know if I did this whole box.net thing properly)

8. The vocals. I think I need to learn to fader ride. The guy has lots of low notes that he's too quiet on. I did a bunch of weird automation stuff but it's a bit tedious. I don't know if I really want to spend hours and hours trying to enhance a singer's phrasing so that it fits in my (probably overly) loud-ass mix. How do I learn this? How do you guys do this in Reaper?

-Dan
Haven't had a chance to hear the latest mixes, including your own...

But, the user guide goes into how you can record the fader positions for automation... It's in chapter 14... Look for the Automation Write example in section 14.5.
sundevil98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #45
dblack

Thanks for the automation tip.

I had to look up the actual released mix of this tune. Here it is (in a lossy streaming format, unfortunately):
http://www.myspace.com/strangefacestheband

You can hear it in a higher quality here (but it's only a thirty seconds or something):
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/str...04?i=288847532

The song is called Aren't You Proud.
-Dan
dblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:51 PM   #46
mrmoustache

nice mix slops, love how you made it sound real heavy.

Haven't checked out the others mixes thoroughly yet but will do soon.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:52 AM   #47
Toft

I've had a chance to listen to some of the other mixes now, and it is very educational!

Everyone has their own take on it, with varying degrees of polish.

I have discovered that I like drier and more forward vocals than most people, and a good deal less bass than some!

I liked what Xaenima did with Ryan's guitar - I can't really hear the tremolo in the mix, but it's an interesting way to do a panned delay. Slops' guitar was also very interesting, though I am not sure what Ryan would say about having his tone shredded in such a drastic fashion!

Some things I simply didn't understand, like why nafquo put a 30sample delay on the left OH (tiny stereo widening?)

I quite liked 'simple' treatments like Wolffman's, though I couldn't resist the temptation to mess with it, myself.

I look forward to any further such treats.
Toft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:57 AM   #48
Schmidty

I really like the song, but I can't help but picture it being sung by an animatronic deer head in a hunter's lodge.
Does that make me a bad person?
Old 11-03-2010, 09:36 AM   #49
Nafquo

I am quite too lazy to do a thorough review of all mixes, but I have listened to them all (i think), and can safely say the diversity is enormous.

Toft, I especially liked how your mix made me think of the creature in a different way, pulling the drums further back in the mix and doing the crazy harmonic guitar delay really made the song more melancholic and sad, than how i thought about it. I first felt it had a more angry touch to it, but now I'm not so sure anymore.

I also liked the mix with the fade in intro/ outro (wish i could remember which one it was), all i can remember is that at the time i heard it, i kept asking myself why i didnt do it that way. (i think it was kainz's because that's the only i can't open at the moment, and the rest isnt it, or i just dreamed it, you never know)

On the matter of the 30 sample delay, i always like to check if the snare hits on left and right overheads line up (same for the room mics), if they don't i usually try to delay the channel that's early by that amount and listen if it sounds better. Usually the snare gets more centered and the transient is just a bit clearer, but my ears are always the final judge.

Last edited by Nafquo; 11-03-2010 at 09:38 AM. Reason: wanted to clarify
Nafquo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #50
Reno.thestraws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafquo View Post

I also liked the mix with the fade in intro/ outro (wish i could remember which one it was), all i can remember is that at the time i heard it, i kept asking myself why i didnt do it that way. (i think it was kainz's because that's the only i can't open at the moment, and the rest isnt it, or i just dreamed it, you never know)
I made fade in/ out too..
Old 11-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #51
Nafquo

Yes, now i hear. I can't see how i missed that earlier, but yours was indeed the one that i meant. The bass guitar has just the right amount of power and for some reason i keep noticing how great the tambourine is in your mix.

I only think the part with the drum/ snare echo's is a bit shady, i like the idea, but i don't feel there is enough room for it, maybe if you cut a lot of the bottom end out of it. But overall i think it's a good mix.

Last edited by Nafquo; 11-03-2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: dutchism slipped by
Nafquo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #52
Reno.thestraws

thanks!
Old 11-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #53
Megagoth1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megagoth1702 View Post
Hey Wolf, call me Mega.

Absolutely love your mix, man... For me as a beginner it is really inspiring to see things done "the simple way" without all the fancy stuff.

Really love it.

All I need is to understand what to do when to get a certain result.

But that later. I got stuff to do right now. :-D Fuckin hate school dude, always a way to get distracted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by proto View Post
Yeah and also check out Xaenima - great mix and all reap.
Hell yeah, I sure did, amazing mix! So clean and nice! Love it, as I am unexperienced and pretty much love everything ahahaha. :-D
Megagoth1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #54
slops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafquo View Post
On the matter of the 30 sample delay, i always like to check if the snare hits on left and right overheads line up (same for the room mics), if they don't i usually try to delay the channel that's early by that amount and listen if it sounds better. Usually the snare gets more centered and the transient is just a bit clearer, but my ears are always the final judge.
interesting info right there.
definitely makes sense when its explained.
slops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:13 PM   #55
slops

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmoustache View Post
nice mix slops, love how you made it sound real heavy.
thanks alot man.

i tried my best to make the guitars have a bigger sound when they actually kicked in. but sadly i tried to make the drums lean more towards the room sound too, and i totally overdid it. hearing the drums (especially snares) in everyone else's mixes makes me realize the mistake i made. oh well.

this has definitely been a great learning experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toft
Slops' guitar was also very interesting, though I am not sure what Ryan would say about having his tone shredded in such a drastic fashion!
yeah, i was just trying to do something different from what i imagined everyone else was gonna do.

...but honestly i'd probalbly get hit in the back of the head with a guitar pedal if i did that in the studio while mixing a band.
lol.

Last edited by slops; 11-03-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:16 AM   #56
Kainz

Seems like quite a few peeps had problems opening my mix. So I decided to re-post it using the box.net wich seems to be the service most like to use around here. Hope it'll work this time!

It has been mixed using only Reaper plugins and freeware plugins (mainly Nebula3 Free and some Variety of Sound stuff) apart for mastering limiter and very slight sweetening EQ. It's still somewhat raw mix, especially the low-end and vocals could use some more work - I'm having hard time getting to lows right because I have rather bad monitoring enviroment currently at home, but well I tried my best heh.

http://www.box.net/shared/208vbaaii0
Kainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:05 AM   #57
Alteregoxxx

I want to start by saying that i'm listening trough a crap laptop integrated soundcard (that has an outrageous lack of bass) so my opinions must be taken with a grain of salt.

Some rough opinion on some of the mixes (to take with a grain of salt (remember...the carp audio card...):

Xaenima: too much compression (pumping could come from a masterbus compression or from the drum bus compressor...)...mix is really "mono-ish" also

Louie: the mix is not bad, but the drums "slightly disappear" in some passages, the mid and the side components of the mix sounds also a little detached

Camerondie:
Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye View Post
Alteregoxx – Nice mix, the only thing is dealing with the main guitar part coming in half way through is panned all the way to the left and feels lopsided.
...IMHO this is somewhat related with our different speakers placement/listening situation, because i instead think that your mix sounds really "mono-ish", a part from the drums OH (that are really really high in volume and "detached" from the rest, listen to the hit hat to understand what i say), the image is completely collapsed in the center (IMHO).Maybe is only a matter of taste however.

I think also that your mix can improve considerably if you revisit the panning choices, but, i repeat, is just my opinion. :-D
I want to clarify also that i like a lot the "vintage flavor" and sense of space that one or two element hard panned can give to this mix and this leads to my placement choices.

Sundevil98: the bass is too high!!!even on the crap audio card! and it has also a strong mid-presence/distortion that i don't like...drums is almost absent and has a lot of pumping, voice is low too

Slops: sincerely and without wanting to be presumptuous or offensive i think your mix should be completely redone: all sounds distant and "mushy"
(especially the voice..). Maybe you've a bad listening situation (bad room or speakers?)

Wolffman: i like your mix, good element placement and overall balance, maybe only a bit "thin sounding" FOR MY TASTES and a too dry voice.Still a good job.

51mon: the stereo image of your mix is very confused (too much delay "tricks"?). I don't like at all the voice processing.

K235: too much compression. Voice too low and thin sounding. Guitar and bass too high and detached from the rest. All sounds lifeless (see too much compression)

Keefee: not a bad mix but the voice is too dry and uncompressed (too much volume jumps and too much detached from the rest)...the mix sounds somewhat "shy".

L0calh50t: drum sounds "delocalized", not focused in other words,like a room sound only, piano is too high and detached from the rest...mono-ish mix

Kgarello:again i think this mix should be completely redone: all sounds distant and "mushy"...mid component of the mix is totally absent like it has only the side component...

Nafquo: the mix is not bad, the balance is good but it sounds really mono and has a thin sound for my tastes

Schmidty: the balance is almost good,a part from the voice that is too low. The mix sounds muffled,lifeless, there is a lack of high frequency content.

MrMoustache: the overall balance is passable, a part from the voice that is isolated and too high. I don't like the drum sound (a bit shy..).Mix sounds mono-ish.

Reno: the overall balance is good, but the mix sounds muffled and lifeless.

Toft: drum sounds thin and dry, voice and organ are too high and detached from the rest.The mix sounds mono-ish.

Dblack: hit hat jumps out of the mix, is detached from the rest.Mix sounds muffled and lifeless.All th elements of the song collapse in the center of the stereo image.

Bullshark: bass and voice are very high and detached from the rest, drums is very low and "destroyed" (too much compression with really fast attacks?)

Coerce: good overall balance, drums sounds too dry and thin. The mix sounds a little "midrangy" (nasal).

Mixerman: good mix. I like it. Only the organ is a little bit high and there is a little too much drumroom sound.But this is a matter of taste.

Proto:voice sounds too much compressed. Drum sounds too much compressed. Too much compression.The center of the mix is distant and annoying (read hypercompressed).All sounds mono-ish.

I clarify once again that this is only my umble and FRIENDLY opinion and I hope I have not offended anyone by expressing everything with honesty.

Apologize for my atrocious english, i'm italian (hoping that to you my mix doesn't sound terrible like my english)

Last edited by Alteregoxxx; 11-04-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Alteregoxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:11 AM   #58
bullshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alteregoxxx View Post
I clarify once again that this is only my umble opinion and I hope I have not offended anyone by expressing everything with honesty.
Anybody who get offended by such critique shouldn't post their work publicly. To the contrary, I thank you for taking the time to listen to all and post reviews.
bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:00 PM   #59
proto

Alteregoxxx great mix! i really hope you hang out here cuz your mix was great and thanks for listening and your critique.

i def kinda strangled it with compression.

Alteregoxxx did you use any multiband compression on the master buss
proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:36 PM   #60
Kainz

Alter hey, how about me then - you just skipped me like that hehe

You prolly think it's too compressed heh, I think yours could use tad more compression and the mid range and upper bass are somewhat bit too "hard" and veiled - it doesn't open up as much as it could.

I know mine has some work to do especially on vocals, but I really hadn't more time to play around with it (and free plugs heh).

P.S. Slops, feel free to update my link to this newbox.net link, I removed data behind other links.
Kainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #61
Alteregoxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by proto View Post
Alteregoxxx great mix! i really hope you hang out here cuz your mix was great and thanks for listening and your critique.

i def kinda strangled it with compression.

Alteregoxxx did you use any multiband compression on the master buss
Thanks for listening to my mix and thanks for the compliments too!. :-D

To answer your question
No multiband at all on my master bus neither on single elements of the mix.
However on the master bus i put DensityMKII in mid side mode (generally i start with the preset "Even mix" only to roughly ear what i can obtain with mid side processing, then tweak the compressor following my taste)

Last edited by Alteregoxxx; 11-04-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:33 PM   #62
slops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alteregoxxx View Post
Slops: sincerely and without wanting to be presumptuous or offensive i think your mix should be completely redone: all sounds distant and "mushy"
(especially the voice..). Maybe you've a bad listening situation (bad room or speakers?)
i pretty much agree 100% with everything you said.
everything in my mix sounds REALLY far away.
i also notice my mix is super quiet in comparison to everyone elses mix.
i'm definitely gonna do the whole mix over when i get some time.
this thread has helped me focus in on many, many issues i have to work on.
so i appreciate you taking the time to comment and point out what is wrong.
its the only way i can hope to improve.

and great mix btw.
you should definitely share the reaper session if you get a chance.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:29 PM   #63
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

hello ! my french version
MP3and RPP in rar
Old 11-04-2010, 10:12 PM   #64
Midnight

Default Awesome

No mix to upload (this time around) but just wanted to say, WOW, great post and thread! Excellent learning opportunity. Hope there are many more to come.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:15 PM   #65
doppelgangster

Default Why not have amateurish one for change

--

Last edited by doppelgangster; 02-16-2024 at 06:01 AM.
doppelgangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:24 AM   #66
Alteregoxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainz View Post
Alter hey, how about me then - you just skipped me like that hehe

You prolly think it's too compressed heh,
Hello Kainz, if i remember correctly, your link didn't work so i could not comment your mix :-D

So...
Drum in your mix sounds very very distant, the snare (this in particular but not only....) is totally destroyed (read hypercompressed...). Mid and side components of the mix are slightly "detached". I think this is because side in your mix come from "dry" guitar (on th left) and piano (on the right) only. In other words there is no "ambience" sound (think drum room, verb tail from other instruments of the mix etc) that "surround" the mid portion of the mix itself which, in your work, essentially consists in the voice only as the drums is extremely low in volume (think disappeared..) and the organ is placed somewhere in the mix (sincerely i can't ear where...it is simply spread everywhere), but sure not in the mid....
With this approach your mixes will always have a weak mid component and this will weaken the song impact too. Mid is the important component of the mix!more important then Side!
Your mix sounds also extremely compressed,dark,lifeless in other word: congested.

Quote:
I think yours could use tad more compression
I think is clear we have different tastes about the right dose of compression, as you can guess from my previous statement :-DD
By the way i would advise you to use less compression as compression sucks life from the music if you overdo it.
Then you must remember to leave a bit of margin for the ME.
Generally i do mastering also, and there i can apply another little bit of "glue" if necessary (2-3-4 dB of compression),but if the material is already overcompressed you can do nothing.

Quote:
and the mid range and upper bass are somewhat bit too "hard" and veiled - it doesn't open up as much as it could.
i don't understand clearly this statement (maybe because i'm italian...:-D ).
I think in fact that "hard" and "veiled" are one the opposite of the other...no?
If you say "this mix has hard high range.." you can't say also "this mix is veiled"... no?
Also i think high range can be "veiled", not bass range...no?
Please explain to a poor italian :-D

Quote:
...(and free plugs heh).
My mix also use only free plugs :-)
i can assure you can obtain award mixes with only high quality free plugs (there are plenty of awesome free plugs).
It's all in how you use them.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:16 AM   #67
mrmoustache

looking at others projects I can see that some use very heavy Eqing, boosting 5 to 8 dBs and cutting heavily! I always learned that EQing has to be subtle so I always tried to keep it that way in my mixes but hearing how you guys get a good sound with such extreme EQing I might try doing that!

I guess I should remember more that "if it sounds good, it is good"
Old 11-05-2010, 05:59 AM   #68
doppelgangster

Default self-criticism

--

Old 11-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #69
Schmidty

Ok. Havn't listened to all of them yet, but here are my notes.

Bear in mind that I'm listening to them on headphones at work (good headphones that I've been using for about 6 years on an almost daily basis but headphones none the less) so there may be something I'm missing.

kgarello - The B3 Sounded dry compared to the rest of the mix, and stood out a bit.
The hard panned guitar overpowers the rhodes at points.
The kick sounds over compressed and sounds like it may be hitting the master limiter (or at least a buss compressor) and bringing other things down with it.
As the song fills out the vox start to dissapear (my mix did the same thing only worse)

Bullshark - I noticed some low end distortion throughout. Not sure where it's comming from, but it muddies the low end.
The vox fade out noticiably at the beginnin of the first chorus and it is somewhat jarring.
The heavy limiting makes the song "bumpy" and may be where the distortion is comming from.

Keefee - The delay on the rhodes at the beginning seems to muddy the rythm until the drums come in.
The Hi Hat get's a little overpowering at about 2:00
Other than that I really like this mix. Very clean, with a nice tone.

Slops - The Rhodes seemed to clash with the guitar a little tone-wise. The Rhodes seemed dull while the Guitar felt harsh.
The reverb feels "boxy"
I'm not a fan of the moving delay on the Vox (granted this may be because I'm wearing headphones which Makes it much more dramatic).
Thinks start getting very muddy around 2:00

Sundevil - The same notes everyone gave you. Really nice bass tone... Too much bass.
I also really like the tone on the kick.

Wolfman - Yours was one of my favorites. The only thing that bothered me a little was that some of the ghost notes on the kick were getting lostin the builds. At first I thought it was a gate not opening, but after looking at the rpp file (which is VERY impressive by the way) it's the automation on the compresser ratio missing the early notes. I have to say that I am amazed at the elegant simplicity of what you are doing in the actual session file.

(l0calh05t) - The bass was sort of thin and seemed to be getting ducked by something (maybe a master compressor)
The Rhodes was too loud, and the Vox started getting losttoward the end.

Camerondye - I felt like there was too much movement in the vocals, especially the reverb panning at the end of each phrase.
Over-all the mix is very open and clean. I like it a lot.
The vocal reverb was especially nice, very transparent, but still present. I felt it was applied a little heavy-handedly though and could have been backed out little bit.

k335 - The snare is a little tinny throughout.
There is a little too much reverb on the guitars and they start getting muddy.
The drums are getting over compressed at the chorus.

I may get to the other mixes eventually, but time is not on my side.

Out of curiousity, how many people submitted a "mastered" mix vs one that they were assuming would go through a later mastering process with the rest of the album. I was always taught that mastering should be done on the whole album at once, and that any compression/limiting/multiband compression etc on the full mix should be left to that phase since a) the mastering technician probably has nicer gear than you do, and b) all of the tracks can be processed next to each other to ensure that they match/work well together.
Because of that, I have always put "mixing" and "mastering" in two very different phases, and submitted a completely un-mastered mix. I did notice though that a lot of the mixes seemed to be hitting master limiters, master compressors, exciters, master eqs and the like, and was wondering where everyone stood on that issue?

Last edited by Schmidty; 11-05-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:12 AM   #70
bullshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I was always taught that mastering should be done on the whole album at once, and that any compression/limiting/multiband compression etc on the full mix should be left to that phase since a) the mastering technician probably has nicer gear than you do, and b) all of the tracks can be processed next to each other to ensure that they match/work well together.
I'd agree with this, but this particular mix is a one off thing, there won't be a whole album for us to mix, there won't be a mastering house further down the chain so I did slam on an EQ and limiter on the master to try to bring the mix to today's standard as far as level and dynamics goes, and to low pass/high pass it and micro adjust the tonal balance.

BTW, you have good ears, I did fool around with a saturation plug later on in the mix stage, switching it on/off, decided that it wasn't doing anything that I liked but it was left "on" by mistake on the render that made it on here. By the time I realized what had happened, the file had already been uploaded and linked to, so I said fudge it, the only effect it seem to have anyway is add a tiny bit of distortion to the low/low mid anyway; you're the only one who caught on to that.

Last edited by bullshark; 11-06-2010 at 02:21 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #71
Megagoth1702

Hey guys, I am a total newbie with mixing and reaper, I only know the rough edges of how the basic tools work.

This is my very first mix. I have learned a lot by looking at other mixes.

I went for a standart mix, as I think. I just made everything sound ok to my ears and mixed it together.

I used reaper-stuff-ONLY, so you all can see what I did and can correct my mistakes, as there will be many.

I had many problems using the ReaDelay properly, I understand that it is a very powerful tool but I have no idea how to use it properly to fatten up vocals without making them robot-like, please give advise if you can.

UPDATED VERSIONS:

MP3 mixdown - download @ box

RPP session file - download @ box

Please give feedback on how to do things better, thanks in advance, bye!

Last edited by Megagoth1702; 11-06-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #72
slops

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmoustache View Post
looking at others projects I can see that some use very heavy Eqing, boosting 5 to 8 dBs and cutting heavily! I always learned that EQing has to be subtle so I always tried to keep it that way in my mixes...
one thing i have definitely learned from this thread is that my eqing is way too drastic. the mixes i liked the most had the most subtle eq cuts and boosts. i've been going too far on the cutting. i now realize that there is really no need to always go overboard on the eq, it really just hurts the sound in the long run. less is definitely more.

Last edited by slops; 11-06-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #73
Megagoth1702

I think less is more only if the source material is good.

Sometimes you will get crap that you will have to EQ into place, I am sure there are situations like this.

In the perfect world we would need no EQs anyway.

PS: Updated my files.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:47 AM   #74
camerondye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megagoth1702 View Post
I think less is more only if the source material is good.
Sometimes you got to pull out the crowbar...but hopefully not often
cam
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:28 AM   #75
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

I have not found it necessary to make drastic EQ and compression on these takes. I found them very clean... and maybe a little too clean.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:41 AM   #76
bullshark

So, are we into week "2" now? Time for a new one, and lock this one?
Old 11-07-2010, 08:12 AM   #77
Megagoth1702

I'd like to get feedback on my mix I posted earlier, but I updated it again, so here is the new version.

NEW FILES:
MP3 download

RPP file

Last edited by Megagoth1702; 11-07-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:46 PM   #78
slops

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullshark View Post
So, are we into week "2" now? Time for a new one, and lock this one?
yeah, i think its getting to be about that time.

i'll wait a day or two and then put up a thread with some links asking everyone to choose what stems they want to mix next. once that is decided i imagine we'll start having submissions by this weekend.

looking forward to doing this again with you all in the next coming days...
Old 11-08-2010, 05:21 AM   #79
doppelgangster

--

Old 11-08-2010, 06:46 AM   #80
Megagoth1702

Dude, you mixed the song using laptop speakers? Aahahaha, thats hilarious!
Not in a negative way at all dude, it's just ... Haha, imagine:
2 billion dollar project, everybody's expecting brilliant work thats gonna blow everything away. And then you see the guy doing the stuff on his laptop in starbucks, hahaha.

Sorry, I dont mean to be mean, the picture is simply funny.

It's all about learning here, comparing, looking like "aha, so thats how he did it, gonna make the same/kinda the same".

By the way - does anyone have feedback on my mix? It was the first time I mixed a whole song so I need any kind of criticism/feedback I can get. Thanks in advance.