Old 02-18-2019, 11:15 PM   #1
Vevolis
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Recorded MIDI is "offline"

Hi,

I've been using Reaper since 2013 and on the same PC which died last week. I've successfully reinstalled all of my software/VST's including Reaper.

When I record a piece of midi, it immediately shows up as "offline" and I can't play it back or see/edit notes... it would seem that the file isn't being saved to a location Reaper recognizes??? I'm clearly missing something, likely simple. I'm using one monitor (set media items offline when media is not active is turned off anyways), and I checked the project preferences, I've left the media save location blank so it should dump everything into my current project folder?

Any insight?

Thank you!
Vevolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:37 AM   #2
Curtis
Banned

[QUOTE=Vevolis;2096571]Hi,

I've been using Reaper since 2013 and on the same PC which died last week. I've successfully reinstalled all of my software/VST's including Reaper.

When I record a piece of midi, it immediately shows up as "offline" and I can't play it back or see/edit notes... it would seem that the file isn't being saved to a location Reaper recognizes??? I'm clearly missing something, likely simple. I'm using one monitor (set media items offline when media is not active is turned off anyways), and I checked the project preferences, I've left the media save location blank so it should dump everything into my current project folder?

Any insight?

Thank you![
Do you have your input set to midi as well as the destination for recording as midi.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:26 PM   #3
Vevolis

[QUOTE=Curtis;2096595]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vevolis View Post
Hi,

Any insight?

Thank you![
Do you have your input set to midi as well as the destination for recording as midi.
Midi input is set to Komplete Kontrol S61, destination for recording is audio/midi... still doesn't work. I notice if I make a second track and record the output audio from my VST (NI The Giant) it doesn't work either... bizarre.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:24 AM   #4
Curtis
Banned

[QUOTE=Vevolis;2096974]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post

Midi input is set to Komplete Kontrol S61, destination for recording is audio/midi... still doesn't work. I notice if I make a second track and record the output audio from my VST (NI The Giant) it doesn't work either... bizarre.

The audio/midi as destination I have had very little success using that, have you tried the other settings available there is one on the list that sends specifically to midi.

Do you have monitoring turned on?
I assume you have the track armed.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:25 PM   #5
Vevolis

[QUOTE=Curtis;2097097]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vevolis View Post

The audio/midi as destination I have had very little success using that, have you tried the other settings available there is one on the list that sends specifically to midi.

Do you have monitoring turned on?
I assume you have the track armed.
I've tried other settings, no luck.
Monitoring turned on, track is armed.

I reset Reapers settings and tried opening REASYNTH and it did record midi/was able to bounce audio onto the adjacent track and record that. I pointed back to my owned VSTS - I tried Serum, it worked as well.

Then I realized that I was missing my NI plugins, so I figured out where they were, and added them to the plugin scan.

I tried using one of those plugins, suddenly the midi is offline again. I closed the program and reopened and tried Serum (which did work) and suddenly it doesn't work again......... ??????
Old 02-20-2019, 03:18 PM   #6
Curtis
Banned

[QUOTE=Vevolis;2097324]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post

I've tried other settings, no luck.
Monitoring turned on, track is armed.

I reset Reapers settings and tried opening REASYNTH and it did record midi/was able to bounce audio onto the adjacent track and record that. I pointed back to my owned VSTS - I tried Serum, it worked as well.

Then I realized that I was missing my NI plugins, so I figured out where they were, and added them to the plugin scan.

I tried using one of those plugins, suddenly the midi is offline again. I closed the program and reopened and tried Serum (which did work) and suddenly it doesn't work again......... ??????

There are two other people I have seen posts from with issues all of them including yours has no in the mix. Have you tried to take no out of the scan to see if everything else works,

Also give ni stand alone player see if that works.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:57 PM   #7
Vevolis

Thank you for sticking with me. I figured it out!

Turns out that on installing Reaper on this new PC, it decided the default install location would be under C:/Users/...

For some lazy reason I played along thinking the software knew best.

I uninstalled Reaper, cleaned it out of the registry and reinstalled it on under Program Files 64 bit... sorted the issue right out. I'm assuming there are some brief privilege restrictions (or grants) in the user install that my plugins/audio were not able to save to.