Old 05-16-2019, 12:58 PM   #1
wolfdogg
Human being with feelings

Default Styx Cover w/ Reaper

Hello all. So I'm wanting to get into recording piano/vocal songs and this video is my first attempt. Granted, I didn't spend much time on the mixing because I'm just pretty new to the process so I'm curious as to what others think might help with my future mixes like this? My vox is going through FabFilter EQ and then into 2 compressors... with a send to FabFilter Reverb. Piano just has a little EQ to knock off the low end around 150 and very slight bit of compression.
Thanks!
wolfdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:04 PM   #2
Coachz

Double the vocal a few db below the lead and add harmonies at key points. Learn to volume automate and then drop the compressors to preserve the transients. Boost 12k to get that air but just a bit.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:06 PM   #3
wolfdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Double the vocal a few db below the lead and add harmonies at key points. Learn to volume automate and then drop the compressors to preserve the transients. Boost 12k to get that air but just a bit.
Thanks, Coach! Lots of great info in a quick list there. Love it!
Old 05-16-2019, 04:08 PM   #4
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdogg View Post
Thanks, Coach! Lots of great info in a quick list there. Love it!
You can also roll some highs and lows off the double to focus the lead while still thickening it. I high pass harmonies at about 300hz and boost 12khz.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:56 PM   #5
wolfdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
You can also roll some highs and lows off the double to focus the lead while still thickening it. I high pass harmonies at about 300hz and boost 12khz.
Thanks... going to play around w/ this audio track the next couple days and see if I can make this stuff work for me. Hoping to start making these videos a regular thing.. so just want to have a goal of making each one better than the one before.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:14 PM   #6
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdogg View Post
Thanks... going to play around w/ this audio track the next couple days and see if I can make this stuff work for me. Hoping to start making these videos a regular thing.. so just want to have a goal of making each one better than the one before.
Cool. Try to sing the double as closely as possible in pitch and phrasing to make it tight.