Old 07-08-2014, 10:20 PM   #1
SeanTypedThis
Human being with feelings

Default Time Signatures and Tempo over OSC

Hi, first of all I love Reaper, I love the OSC implementation, it's forced me to learn a lot of useful things about OSC; I think I'm almost close to giving up midi hardware faders...

Anyway, I had a question about Time Signature implementation, I don't see anything in the default reaper osc file about it and I'm wondering if there's anyway to transmit/display that info to a mobile device over OSC. I've actually got my former band teacher using Reaper for live shows, been teaching him about features and functionality he can translate to his needs, helped him design something with OSC but couldn't figure this out, it's not necessary but would be useful.

Also, another tiny quirk, I can get the tempo to display on my mobile devices, but I have to physically click on the BPM figure in Reaper itself for it to update, so if I have tempo changes inside of a project file, it will not update them on the mobile device automatically.

All of the other transport, Measures and Time, update just fine with no physical interaction needed.

These are two very small things, but it would be great if someone could help me figure them out or let me know if they have been implemented, I've done some searching on the forums but haven't found any discussion on time signatures over OSC.

Thanks again for a great product, it has really been more than I could've asked for; my former band teacher was using Ableton Live prior and commented that he was dissapointed at how limiting it was for his live usage compared to Reaper (routing capabilities, time signature and tempo changes, playback implementation such as lack of a pre-roll, etc), especially given the price tag, and I couldn't agree more.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:44 AM   #2
Tazzie

Default BPM

Sorry Sean I can't help you because I have a query myself. I have Reaper4.62 and I use it on a daily basis on 3 different laptops. The one connected to the internet is Windows 7 and it's just fine. When I want to change the BPM on a project it does it faultlessly. My other two laptops are XP and Vista Ultimate but neither of these does the BPM change that works on Windows 7. The project will play at the original tempo, but the metronome plays at the new tempo changed at the BPM window. Any clues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTypedThis View Post
Hi, first of all I love Reaper, I love the OSC implementation, it's forced me to learn a lot of useful things about OSC; I think I'm almost close to giving up midi hardware faders...

Anyway, I had a question about Time Signature implementation, I don't see anything in the default reaper osc file about it and I'm wondering if there's anyway to transmit/display that info to a mobile device over OSC. I've actually got my former band teacher using Reaper for live shows, been teaching him about features and functionality he can translate to his needs, helped him design something with OSC but couldn't figure this out, it's not necessary but would be useful.

Also, another tiny quirk, I can get the tempo to display on my mobile devices, but I have to physically click on the BPM figure in Reaper itself for it to update, so if I have tempo changes inside of a project file, it will not update them on the mobile device automatically.

All of the other transport, Measures and Time, update just fine with no physical interaction needed.

These are two very small things, but it would be great if someone could help me figure them out or let me know if they have been implemented, I've done some searching on the forums but haven't found any discussion on time signatures over OSC.

Thanks again for a great product, it has really been more than I could've asked for; my former band teacher was using Ableton Live prior and commented that he was dissapointed at how limiting it was for his live usage compared to Reaper (routing capabilities, time signature and tempo changes, playback implementation such as lack of a pre-roll, etc), especially given the price tag, and I couldn't agree more.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:14 PM   #3
SeanTypedThis

Hmm, that is a strange problem..I know I had quite the opposite when I was using REAPER on Linux over WINE, where the metronome click wouldn't speed up with the tempo, but that was several versions ago and I think that had more to do with the sound drivers...I'm on Windows 7 as well, so I can't speak for Vista or XP compatibility.

Are you sure it doesn't just appear to be going at the same speed? The beat grid does not shift at all when you change the BPM? I'd try enabling the Master Track view, then adding some tempo/time signature markers, then dragging the envelope points for the tempo markers on the Master Track up and down and see if they adjust the beat grid that way.

Other then that, maybe it has something to do with the project timebase? But I think that only has an effect on items, not the playback or transport itself.