Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 03-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #201
plamuk
Human being with feelings

does anyone else feel like the "fine" control in RS5k is still way too coarse?

especially when tuning a sample. i have to type in the numbers rather than using mouse+ctrl, which moves the parameter in ~.16 increments. i would greatly prefer a 1 cent increment, like in the main screen.

Last edited by plamuk; 04-18-2014 at 09:09 AM.
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:24 AM   #202
buddhajuke

Default Hold pedal (CC69) response?

Could reasamplomatic respond to the hold pedal on a midi controller? Bypass "obey note off" for example while receiving that midi message?
buddhajuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:45 AM   #203
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhajuke View Post
Could reasamplomatic respond to the hold pedal on a midi controller? Bypass "obey note off" for example while receiving that midi message?
^^^^Also CC64 (sustain). I agree, I successfully programmed a Rhodesy sound into RS5K and was going to post it on the forum but as I was testing I quickly found out the sustain didn't work so I abandoned it.

It would be nice if we could assign CC controllers to all of the settings and controls in RS5K.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #204
buddhajuke

Yep I was loading in a bunch of acoustic piano samples to see if i could get it to be half workable but it'll have to wait on sustain until it's usable.

As a workaround could you assign a damper pedal to control 'obey note on/off' instead of (or in addition to) just sending cc64?

Might get tangly though if you have a ton of RS5K instances for a bunch of note ranges
buddhajuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:43 AM   #205
nofish

small usability nitpicking thingy...

I used RS5K just yesterday again for quite some time now, so haven't checked out all the new stuff in there yet.

Tbh, I was a bit surprised that I can't enter note values (= not numeric values) for "Note start" and "Note end" directly.

I mean, when importing a sample I know that I want it to spawn from say F#2 to D#4, but I don't have the MIDI note numbers for these notes stored in my head to type it in. So I have to fiddle with the fiddly knobs to set Note start and end values (or "calculate" in my head, ugh) which is slower than if I just could type in "F#2" and "D#4" (like it works in MIDI editor note properties dialog).

edit:
Oh and for even more quickness, maybe a "learn Note start / end" feature would be nice.
Press "learn Note start" button, press desired key on MIDI keyboard, done.

Last edited by nofish; 03-23-2014 at 10:00 AM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:13 PM   #206
plamuk

regarding your edit, what you can do is double click the knob and hit your "start" button, hit the "start" note, and notice that it changes to the midi note number. then, double click the end button and hit your end button. then type in the start in the start field.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:50 PM   #207
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym View Post
regarding your edit, what you can do is double click the knob and hit your "start" button, hit the "start" note, and notice that it changes to the midi note number. then, double click the end button and hit your end button. then type in the start in the start field.
Didn't know, thanks for mentioning.

Helpful, I'll use it from now on,

Sidenote:
Somehow I feel that's another Cockos style "almost good" implementation.

Hit start note, double-click "Note start knob", same for end knob, done, would have been the right way to do it I think.
But no, it has to be one extra step involved with manually typing, as start and end note can only be "learned" to the same key, as you pointed out.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #208
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMM View Post
Question:

RS5k can use 64 samples at one time (sample limit).

I'm wondering if it is possible to have the developers
raise the sample limit to 128 ?
Hi SMM, as I've already mentioned to you, my tests show that you can load a sample in RS5K and make it a one layer velocity.

What I did was load a sample and set it for a maximum of 80 and a minimum of 80. Then in the Midi Track that I had directed to the RS5K track, I added a note set to the same key as I programmed it in RS5K and gave it a velocity of 80.

When I played that note, RS5K played it perfectly. If I raised the velocity of the note either up or down one level, then it did not play.

Although we've already discussed this SMM I thought others might like to know, it's a good question.

Also I'm not sure how practical 127 layers would be, for something like hi-hat it wouldn't be as bad because they are relatively short and take less space. However, recording 127 different levels whould be very difficult if not impossible. Even 64 different levels would be very dificult.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:33 AM   #209
reapercurious

is there some documentation on ReaSamplOmatic5000?

cant get round robin to work, stuff like that.

all i found was http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.ph...mplomatic_5000

seems out of date.
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:35 AM   #210
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapercurious View Post
is there some documentation on ReaSamplOmatic5000?

cant get round robin to work, stuff like that.

all i found was http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.ph...mplomatic_5000

seems out of date.
Yes, that looks pretty old.

Here's a post where Justin explains some.

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...0&postcount=85

This is a picture of another one of Justins posts.

https://stash.reaper.fm/20355/Justin...r%20RR%201.PNG

As you probably already know it takes a separate instance of RS5K for each RR (Round Robin).

Here's a little chart of the percentages to use for up to 16 RRs. Note it's rounded but I think it will still work. Remember to check Remove played notes from FX chain on all but the last RR.

Last edited by Tod; 09-27-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:59 PM   #211
plamuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym View Post
does anyone else feel like the "fine" control in RS5k is still way too coarse?

especially when tuning a sample. i have to type in the numbers rather than using mouse+ctrl, which moves the parameter in ~.16 increments. i would greatly prefer a 1 cent increment, like in the main screen.
nobody? i am troubled by this issue more and more as i use rs5k as my primary drumsampler. tuning deep electronic kick drums, in particular, to the key of the song is a chore when you really have no fine control over the knobs.

increments of ~.16 semitone are far too coarse to be considered "fine"
i'd be happy to use another modifier, "finer" control. let ctrl stay the same, let me use alt for 1 cent increments...please!

Last edited by plamuk; 04-18-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:48 PM   #212
plamuk

there is a huge 30000ms upper threshold for loop start offset, even if the sample is way shorter.

not only is it jerky to handle with the mouse -- it also makes midi ccs unusable for controlling this parameter, as you can see around the 8 second mark.
the same issue, to a much lesser extent, effects the amp envelope parameters and the xfade length parameter.

couldn't the length of the sample please be used to determine the upper limit? it would be much better to handle, particularly for midi ccs.

Last edited by plamuk; 04-21-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:58 AM   #213
reapercurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Yes, that looks pretty old.

Here's a post where Justin explains some.

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...0&postcount=85

This is a picture of another one of Justins posts.

https://stash.reaper.fm/20355/Justins...r%20RR%201.PNG

As you probably already know it takes a separate instance of RS5K for each RR (Round Robin).

Here's a little chart of the percentages to use for up to 12 RRs. Note it's rounded but I think it will still work. Remember to check Remove played notes from FX chain on all but the last RR.

Thank you Todd, that's very informative, should go on the wiki or in the manual (if its not already)

Last edited by reapercurious; 04-23-2014 at 01:57 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:59 AM   #214
reapercurious

User MWE just made a midi velocity randomizer that successfully tricks a single instance of Reasamplomatic5000 into Round Robin behavior.

I'd be interested in your thoughts if you get a chance to try this .rpp

forum.cockos.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21099&stc=1&d=13982430 29
Old 05-14-2014, 08:06 AM   #215
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapercurious View Post
User MWE just made a midi velocity randomizer that successfully tricks a single instance of Reasamplomatic5000 into Round Robin behavior.

I'd be interested in your thoughts if you get a chance to try this .rpp

forum.cockos.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21099&stc=1&d=13982430 29
Hi reapercurious, sorry, I just noticed this post. I haven't tried this but I took a look at it and it says it's a MIDI Velocity Randomizer, so I don't think it really has anything to do with Round Robins, at least not in the true sense of RRs?

Has anybody tried this to know for sure?
Old 05-14-2014, 08:08 AM   #216
Tod

On another note, I ran into some buggyness with RS5K and Parameter Modulation.

I posted it in the Bug thread.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=140083
Old 08-23-2014, 10:37 AM   #217
Argitoth

I think it's hilarious Kontakt would even be mentioned in this thread, as if Kontakt is some shining example of how a sampler should be done. As a matter of fact, Kontakt is like the toilet, insanely stupid invention, but it's the best we've got. We can do better.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:00 PM   #218
plamuk

edit, moved to bug reports.

one bump deep. no bites yet. this edit represents due diligence before submitting to the issues tracker.

link to "discussion" here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=146116

Last edited by plamuk; 09-23-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:11 AM   #219
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

Default ReaTchackpoum test

I made a sample library of acoustic drums "piccolo" 16 "12" 13 "10" multichannel wavpack http://www.tchackpoum.fr/Samples/wavPack.rar. and the RPP http://www.tchackpoum.fr/Samples/Rea...%20wavpack.RPP
http://www.tchackpoum.fr/Samples/JS%20tchack .In this adress there are four JS needed to operate this kit. The "change pitch bend to" and "midi mute group" are stored in the under "MIDI" folder "effect" folder Reaper resource files. If you do not already have the "CC hihat controller" should be placed in the file in Reno and the "midi velocity curve" in under "RisingTideJS" folder.
The Drum Mapping is special; I used the pitch bend wheel to be able to gradually open the hihat. I am still testing, your opinions and your comments will be welcome. Unfortunately, because of the multi-bank is heavy and the 32 bit version of Reaper does not open completely. I thought that with the wavpack I would not have problem (695 MB) but apparently the wavpack unpacks in Reasamplomatic. The justification of multichannel is to find the same condition with a real drum takes, with all the resonances I like to be used as close to the real.
With this realization I noticed that the round robin was a strange behavior. Although the box "Remove Played notes from MIDI sttream fx chain" is checked, the last sample set to 100% playing anyway.In fact I notice the snare, I do not hear the other.
I made adjustments only to the ear. For example, I found the answer to much velocity with just "Min flight" to "inf" without really knowing the exact impact of this setting. I increased the "Max voices" and "Xfade" in the same way, blindly, but there certainly has an optimum setting I do not know completely.

Special thank's to Reno

The (special) drumap:
Quote:
// MIDI note name map generated by Reaper
59 Cymb mute
58 Cymb Crash
57 Cymbale ride bell
56 Cymbale ride crash
55 Cymb efx bell
54 Cymbale ride crash efx
53 Cymbale Crash efx
52 Cymb mute
51 Tom 10 Rim
50 Tom 10 ctr
49 Tom 10 edge
48 Tom 10 ctr
47 Tom 13 ctr
46 Tom 13 edge
45 Tom 13 ctr
44 Tom 13 Rim
43 Snare Rim only
42 Hihat clo bow
41 Snare+rim
40 Snare ctr
39 Hihat clo edge
38 Snare ctr
37 Side stick
36 Kick
35 Kick
34 Hihat open bow
33 Hihat open Edge
32 Hihat foot pedal
30 Hihat clo bow
27 Hihat Clo edge
25 Hihat closed bell
24 Hihat semi B bell
23 Hihat semi C bell
22 Hihat semi A bow
21 Hihat semi A edg
20 Hihat semi B bow
19 Hihat semi B edg
18 Hihat semi C bow
17 Hihat semi C edg
Google trad and mine of:
J'ai réalisé une banque de samples de batterie acoustique "piccolo" 16" 12" 13" 10" en multipiste wavpack http://www.tchackpoum.fr/Samples/wavPack.rar.et le RPP http://www.tchackpoum.fr/Samples/Rea...%20wavpack.RPP .Dans ce dossier http://www.tchackpoum.fr/Samples/JS%20tchack il y a quatre JS nécessaire au fonctionnement de ce kit. Le "change pitch bend to" et le "midi mute groupe" sont rangé dans le sous dossier "MIDI" du dossier "effect" des fichiers ressource de Reaper. Si vous ne les avez pas déjà le, "CC hihat controller" doit etre placé dans le sous dossier Reno et le "midi velocity curve" dans le sous dossier "RisingTideJS" . La cartographie est spécial ; j'ai utilisé la molette pitch bend pour pouvoir ouvrir progressivement le hihat. J'en suis encore au test, vos avis et vos remarques seront bienvenue. Malheureusement, à cause du multipiste la banque est lourde et la version 32 bit de Reaper ne l'ouvre pas en totalité. Je pensait qu'avec le wavpack je n'aurait pas de probleme (695 Mo) mais apparement le wavpack se décompresse dans Reasamplomatic. La justification du multichannel est pour retrouver les même condition qu'avec une vrai prise de drum, avec tous les résonnances que j'aime utiliser pour etre au plus près du réel.
Avec cette réalisation j'ai remarqué que le round robin avait un étrange comportement. Bien que la case "Remove played note from fx chain MIDI sttream" soit coché, le dernier sample réglé sur 100% joue quand même. En fait je le remarque sur la caisse claire, je ne l'entend pas sur les autres. J'ai fait des réglages uniquement à l'oreille. Par exemple je trouve la réponse à vélocité beaucoup plus juste avec "Min vol" sur "inf" sans vraiment savoir l'incidence exacte de ce réglage. J'ai augmenté le "Max voices" et le "Xfade" de la même façon, en aveugle, mais il y a certainement un réglage optimum que j'ignore complétement.

Last edited by Vincent Sermonne; 10-27-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Vincent Sermonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:46 AM   #220
Tod

Hi Vincent, I've DLed it and will give it a try. I'm not sure I understand everything your saying here but maybe it will be obvious once I get it loaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Sermonne View Post
With this realization I noticed that the round robin was a strange behavior. Although the box "Remove Played notes from MIDI sttream fx chain" is checked, the last sample set to 100% playing anyway.In fact I notice the snare, I do not hear the other.
You do have to have the RRs set up exactly right to make them work properly. Check this post out where I explain a little more.

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=213

I recorded my voice counting numbers from 1 to 64, just for making tests in RS5K. I only tested up to 8 RRs but they did work. However they were not in perfect order which I think I expained somewhere in this thead. I started with "1" in the first RR, "2" in the 2nd, "3" in the 3rd, etc..

I don't remember exactly the order but it was something like:

57123468, 57123468, etc.

Quote:
I made adjustments only to the ear. For example, I found the answer to much velocity with just "Min flight" to "inf" without really knowing the exact impact of this setting. I increased the "Max voices" and "Xfade" in the same way, blindly, but there certainly has an optimum setting I do not know completely.
Here again, regarding the "Min Vol", which is velocity intensity, I made some rather extensive tests, here's the post that might hopefully explain this:

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=140
Old 10-27-2014, 11:11 AM   #221
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

Thank; you very much Tod ! but:

I see in the licecap that i forgot to unselect "remove played note..." with the 100% sample, but it's same

Last edited by Vincent Sermonne; 10-28-2014 at 07:19 AM.
Vincent Sermonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:45 AM   #222
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Sermonne View Post
I see in the licecap that i forgot to unselect "remove played note..." with the 100% sample, but it's same
Hi Vincent, I'm sorry, I had cataract surgery and got tied up some the last few days, and to be honest I completely forgot to check your project out.

I see in your LICEcap you don't have the box for "Round-robin" checked on the 100% "Probability" and of course you need to uncheck "Remove played notes".

So did you get it working?
Old 11-02-2014, 07:40 AM   #223
suleiman

I put a feature request for single instance round robin handling in RS5k.

Please vote !

Salamat
suleiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:46 AM   #224
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by suleiman View Post

Please vote !
I looked but couldn't find it Suieiman, have you got a link?
Old 11-02-2014, 06:42 PM   #225
hamish

Quote:
Originally Posted by suleiman View Post

Please vote !
Good idea, as Tod says, give us the link please!
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:00 PM   #226
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
Good idea, as Tod says, give us the link please!
Okay, I found Suleiman's FR. However, he doesn't list a discussion thread and I think we should discuss this a little bit. Suleiman has a good FR but I think we need to discuss it a little more to understand exactly what is proposed.

Here's the discussion thread.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=147360

Here's the FR.

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=5396

Old 01-21-2015, 05:22 AM   #227
Nick Ef

Hi guys!

I use reasamplomatic with a akai mpk mini and a Reno track template. With these I can load samples to my pads and play it live.
But I have a problem: it works only every two times. I mean when I hit a pad a first time it's alright, the sample is playing, I hit again the pad to stop it and then, when I hit the pad a second time it doesn't work (no sound but the light of the pad is on), I hit again to switch off...The third time its ok, the fourth not...
What is going on??
Need some help!
Thank you very much!!
Nick Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:06 AM   #228
fladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Ef View Post
Hi guys!

I use reasamplomatic with a akai mpk mini and a Reno track template. With these I can load samples to my pads and play it live.
But I have a problem: it works only every two times. I mean when I hit a pad a first time it's alright, the sample is playing, I hit again the pad to stop it and then, when I hit the pad a second time it doesn't work (no sound but the light of the pad is on), I hit again to switch off...The third time its ok, the fourth not...
What is going on??
Need some help!
Thank you very much!!
Sounds like your controller is set to toggle note on and note off?
Old 01-22-2015, 09:21 AM   #229
Nick Ef

Quote:
Originally Posted by fladd View Post
Sounds like your controller is set to toggle note on and note off?
Fladd, the pads of my controller are set to toggle. There is an other set up, momentary, but with this one I need to hold my pad to play the sample so I use the toggle mode.
Anyway, even with momentary, it works every two times...???
I really don't know what to do
Thanks for your help.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:25 AM   #230
fladd

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to achieve I think. How exactly do you want the controller to work?
Old 01-22-2015, 09:46 AM   #231
Nick Ef

The controller works like I want but every two times.
I want to hit my pad to play the sample and to hit it again to stop the sample, and this every time I do it.
I don't understand why it works a first time and not a second time, that's my problem! When I play a sample, I hit the pad to stop it. But if I want to play it again immediately I have to hit the pad 3 times!
Sorry for my crappy english
Old 01-22-2015, 03:29 PM   #232
hamish

It may be worth trying to UNcheck 'Obey note-offs' in ReaSamplomatic. If it was checked, un-check it. Or the opposite.

Last edited by hamish; 01-22-2015 at 03:32 PM. Reason: fixed
Old 01-22-2015, 04:18 PM   #233
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Ef View Post
The controller works like I want but every two times.
I want to hit my pad to play the sample and to hit it again to stop the sample, and this every time I do it.
I don't understand why it works a first time and not a second time, that's my problem! When I play a sample, I hit the pad to stop it. But if I want to play it again immediately I have to hit the pad 3 times!
Sorry for my crappy english
Hi Nick, okay, I'm trying to understand what your pads are doing and how you expect them to work, I'm a little confused by your wording. Normally with a keyboard controller you press a note to turn the note on and when you let go of the note, the note turns off.

Based on what you've said, when you hit the pad, it turns the note on, and then to turn the note off you have to hit the pad again, is this right?

Are you working with drums and is this the Hi-Hat you're talking about?
Old 01-22-2015, 09:28 PM   #234
Nick Ef

Woke up at 4am thinking at my problem and I've just find out: in the track template I've downloaded the probability in RS5k was set to 50...Set to 100 it's just working like I want, all the time...
Thank you very much for your help!!!
Have a good day.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:51 AM   #235
SMM

Default A tip for RS5k users:

RS5k has a sample limit of 64 samples per instance, but, you can get
a total of 127 samples by inserting two instances of RS5k (in series)
on a track channel.

Here is how to use 127 samples with 127 velocity layers, for a ride cymbal....

Create two instances of RS5k:

#1. First instance: Adjust the velocity range setting as "1 to 63".
Now, load 63 samples into the first instance.
MIDI note range "start/end" setting = MIDI note 49 (Ride cymbal).

#2. Second instance: Adjust the velocity range setting as "64 to 127".
Now, load 64 samples into the second instance.

Conclusion:
A total of 127 samples and 127 velocity levels (all on the same MIDI note).

Last edited by SMM; 07-12-2015 at 09:22 AM.
SMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:57 PM   #236
sambosun

Is it possible to slice an item, select the slices and apply a macro that sets up a new sampler track with these slices added?
sambosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:10 PM   #237
plamuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambosun View Post
Is it possible to slice an item, select the slices and apply a macro that sets up a new sampler track with these slices added?
i wish. would make stuff like MLR way easier
Old 06-11-2015, 03:10 PM   #238
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambosun View Post
I've always saved my samples in a folder on my hard drive, and then selected them and dragged them into RS5K.

There is a button to "Import item from arrange" but I just tried it and it didn't work well at all.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:41 AM   #239
reapercurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMM View Post
RS5k has a sample limit of 64 samples per instance, but, you can get
a total of 127 samples by inserting two instances of RS5k (in series)
on a track channel.

Here is how to use 127 samples with 127 velocity layers, for a ride cymbal....

Create two instances of RS5k:

#1. First instance: Adjust the velocity range setting as "1 to 63".
Now, load 63 samples into the first instance.

#2. Second instance: Adjust the velocity range setting as "64 to 127".
Now, load 64 samples into the second instance.

Conclusion:
A total of 127 samples and 127 velocity levels (all on the same MIDI note).
can a user set 8 samples to play with 8 different midi notes in one instance of reasamplomatic5000?
Old 08-24-2015, 02:20 PM   #240
hamish

I don't think so unless the mode 'Freely configurable shifted' does something I don't know about.

One instance can play a sample over a range of notes, or velocity layer a bunch of samples, but that's it as far as I can see.

To have sample per MIDI note would require tabs in the plugin at least, unless they radically change the stock plugin architecture.