COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 01-12-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
Alex18
Human being with feelings

Default Volume issue

Alright so I've recently noticed that in all of my NINJAM recordings I'm extremely quiet compared to everyone else which is really odd because my volume is almost clipping in every aspect (Master, Track, All FX and my input is set to 100) I'm wondering if maybe other people are too loud for there own good. Like I'm starting to think maybe local channel volume affects how NINJAM records (I'm set at -12db). Note to add is that my NINBOT recordings always have great volume.

If anyone can help me out figuring this that'd be great, thanks - Alex

Just search my name on NINJAM in music made (I'm a drummer)
Make sure it's the capital "A" Alex not small "a"
and it's sorry to say but i don't have a NINBOT recording up or any edits ATM.
Alex18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:40 AM   #2
pljones

Here's what I do.

With my local monitor level in ReaNINJAM set to zero, I get my peak level to be hitting about -6dB (maybe a little hotter). For drums, this is good, because that's the very brief transient peak. I use a mastering limiter to get the gain, because it ensures any really transient peaks get (gently) clipped.

(I tried using a compressor but it introduced too much latency into the signal path.)

I then turn my local monitor level back down to about -10dB so that when everyone connects at -12dB I don't have to chase around adjusting stuff.

I'll check a few recordings where I think the mix sounded good locally. (Too often other people are too loud or too quiet.) If necessary, I'll adjust the limiter to get a better balance. (I've currently got 10dB gain from the limiter, -3dB cut before going into ReaNINJAM and then about 10dB more make up gain on the way out in Reaper. Any further adjustments are made on my headphone amp.)
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
Alex18

thanks so much, i hope this works well ill find out soon - Alex
Alex18 is offline   Reply With Quote