Old 08-21-2019, 04:29 PM   #1
The Bunker
Human being with feelings

Default Some WAVES VST3 plugins won't open

Hey forum, I have a problem where Reaper won't open some WAVES VST3 plugins, even though it scans them and finds them and also opens the VST2 version of the same plugins with no problem. Also it is only having this issue with SOME of the WAVES VST3 plugins while it opens others with no problem. Anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

I am running 64bit Reaper, on a windows 10 system, and this is happening in a blank project with nothing else loaded so its not some weird issue with other plugins or having too many plugs open or whatever... I have also tried all the different bridging options to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.
The Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:23 AM   #2
ivansc

Have you done a clear/rescan in reaper vst plugs window lately? Also are you using the latest release of Waves Central?
Old 08-22-2019, 05:13 AM   #3
The Bunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Have you done a clear/rescan in reaper vst plugs window lately? Also are you using the latest release of Waves Central?
Do you think a re-scan would do anything? Reaper SEES the plugin it just wont open it... but I will try.

I don’t think its the latest as I haven’t updated in a while.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:50 AM   #4
The Bunker

I tried a re-scan and all that achieved was that now Reaper doesn't even see those plugins that I couldn't open before...

So now we have taken a step backwards.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:05 AM   #5
ivansc

Read my post again. Use the CLEAR/RE-SCAN option. Not the plain RE-SCAN one.

I and others have posted the "why" of this many many times. It has to do with waves wrapping their proprietary format plugins with a Waves Shell, which enables Window OSX and I believe Linux to access the plugins regardless.
The problem in Reaper (and probably other DAWs) is that in order to register Waves plugins, you have to clear out all the existing references to waves shell in order to get Reaper to re-scan the shell files, because to the outside world it appears that the same Waveshell files are still there in the same place so shouldnt need re-scanning.
Overly complicated but I want you to actually understand WHY you have to do this.

OK go ahead and make me look liks a fool by saying you already DID a clear/re-scan but wrote just "scan" for brevity
Old 08-22-2019, 03:01 PM   #6
The Bunker

Quote:
OK go ahead and make me look liks a fool by saying you already DID a clear/re-scan but wrote just "scan" for brevity
This. lol.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:00 PM   #7
ivansc

Can`t blame me for trying, though.... it might have worked!

The nastiest but surest way to fix this is to uninstall EVERY single bit of Waves software on your machine. This is not as simple as it sounds. When I initially had problems like yours after the introduction of Waves Central, I simply used IOBit`s Uninstaller, but later found out that it didnt deal with all the bits left behind by earlier Waves installs.
You have to go through your computer with a fine tooth comb and delete every single waves folder or file you can find. Once this is done, a clean reinstall of everything Waves that you own should fix this. Did for me and many others who I have given the same advice. Good luck.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:08 PM   #8
airon

That total purge can help. Google search where to find all Waves files left behind. But don‘t remove license files .

If the issue persists contact Waves support. They specifically support VST 3 plugins in Reaper.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:08 AM   #9
ivansc

Worth noting that even after I had originally googled waves file locations, I STILL found orphaned files and folders.
The old waves installers left shit all over the place.

Last edited by ivansc; 08-24-2019 at 12:50 PM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:27 PM   #10
The Bunker

Ahh seems like too much of a headache tbh... I'll just stick to the VST2s for now. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:22 AM   #11
ivansc

Blimey! I must have missed you saying that it was only the VST3 that didnt show up.
Totaslly different scenarion.
Quick double check: OK so the vst2s show up. I assume you already checked them all out iN Reaper to make sure they work?

Be funny if this just turns out to be the order you have the VST2 and VST3 directorirs listed in your list in options/preferences/plugins/VST
Old 08-28-2019, 03:41 AM   #12
The Bunker

Quote:

Be funny if this just turns out to be the order you have the VST2 and VST3 directorirs listed in your list in options/preferences/plugins/VST
They are all under the same umbrella folder and that is the folder that I have pointed to in Reaper's preferences.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:35 AM   #13
ivansc

Would appear that IS your problem. Steinberg (offical authors of the VST3 spec) claim all VST3 should be installed to C:\Program Files\Common Files\ VST3.

It could be as simple as the order in which the vst3 files are listed within your one folder. Worth trying...

To make it 100% clear, temporarily remove your VST3 files from where they are now and put them where I suggest above.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:57 PM   #14
The Bunker

Quote:
Would appear that IS your problem. Steinberg (offical authors of the VST3 spec) claim all VST3 should be installed to C:\Program Files\Common Files\ VST3.

It could be as simple as the order in which the vst3 files are listed within your one folder. Worth trying...

To make it 100% clear, temporarily remove your VST3 files from where they are now and put them where I suggest above.
I can try this, but the thing is I have the same folder structure on my other computer with no issues, so that is why I was thinking something weird was happening internally with Reaper.