Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 04-03-2020, 06:06 PM   #1
hexSPA
Human being with feelings

Default Markers Keep Relative Position When Changing Time Signature

Hi. I had a thread but maybe it was in the wrong place.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=227093

Currently in reaper, if you make markers in 4/4 time then switch to 3/4 then your markers keep absolute position as opposed to relative. In other words, reaper won't keep the markers 8 measures apart. I would very much appreciate if I had the option to make them do this.

Also, when changing tempo from the transport field, the arrange view scrolls - or perhaps doesn't scroll. I would love if I could pin the scroll value to the playback cursor. As it stands now, if you go from 150bpm to 100bpm then the arrange view will appear to move backwards. Since I use reaper for rehearsal, like a metronome, I would love if someone implemented this feature.

If these things are already possible then please tell me because I haven't been able to figure it out.

Thank you.

Last edited by hexSPA; 04-20-2020 at 01:30 AM.
hexSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 01:30 AM   #2
hexSPA

Just bumping. Can someone reply to confirm I'm not shadowbanned? Maybe someone on the development team can just tell me no or something because I really want this feature and it's killing me that nobody has responded.

My anxiety thanks you.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:18 AM   #3
Klangfarben

+1 there should be an option to keep markers on the beginning of the measure if that is where they were originally placed.

Also, the devs don't comment much in this thread. But as long as you've thrown it out in the world, there's a shot lol.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:11 PM   #4
hexSPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
+1 there should be an option to keep markers on the beginning of the measure if that is where they were originally placed.

Also, the devs don't comment much in this thread. But as long as you've thrown it out in the world, there's a shot lol.
Good to know that I'm still here and that someone else shares my request. I saw something about markers in the 6.09 update but I don't see it right now.

Thanks.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:21 AM   #5
hexSPA

Default Friendly bump

Having an option to keep markers at their relative bar position when changing the project time signature would greatly enhance reapers use as a rehearsal and compositional tool. Please consider implementing this feature in the next update.

Thank you.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:05 AM   #6
hexSPA

Default Here's hoping

Hi. I would love to see REAPER not have the arrange view move when changing tempo. This annoys me to no end. Yes, relative markers would be great as well.

Somewhat related, it'd be nice if the transport - including tempo field - could be bigger. I'm on a UHD screen and it's pretty small. Actually, I don't mind it but found it strage that it's the one thing that can't be resized.

PLEASE implement a non-moving arrange view when changing tempo. Live and Bigwig both do this and it's great.

Thanks.

EDIT:
* Give your Request a meaningful title and summary
Ok, I think I did this.

* Request
1. Markers maintain bar-relative position when changing global time signature.
2. Arrange view doesn't move when changing global tempo - HUGELY ANNOYING.

* Benefit
This seems to be standard implementation among all the DAWs I've tried that use a horizontal arranger. Benefit is that reaper works like normal and isn't darting around several bars every time you decide you don't want the tempo the same anymore. People who write, rehearse, etc. would benefit most - like me!

* Reason
Completely disorienting to change tempo and have the arrange view randomly move. If you use reaper as a rehearsal tool and change tempo a lot this is something that happens 10 times per session. Let's say during a day I sing and play two different songs on guitar. During each of those I might change tempo or time signature many times. Markers everywhere. Arrange view everywhere. Terrible.

* Implementation Suggestion
Like I said, Ableton Live and Bitwig are the two obvious standouts of how an arranger should react to a global tempo or time signature change. Actually, I haven't used Live in years and only demoed Bitwig briefly but I think they work like I'm saying. 99% sure.

thanks.

Last edited by hexSPA; 11-02-2020 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Rules
Old 03-26-2021, 07:49 AM   #7
hexSPA

Default Beat-Linear Timeline

Hi. I haven't updated this in a few months. This post is just to re-ask/bump my request. Actually, I figured out the actual name of this request: beat-linear timeline.

After using Studio One for a few months, I noticed this option is toggleable in that timeline. The only thing it does which I don't like is, when changing tempo in beats-linear mode, the cursor moves. Maybe its cursor remains in time-linear.

To sum up, reaper timeline is locked in time-linear. I think there should be an option for beats-linear. The result I desire is that, when I change tempo, the arrangement view doesn't move. Incidentally, no DAW, that I'm aware, keeps markers locked to a beat subdivision when changing time signature. For a beats-linear timeline to be complete, I think that functionality should exist.

Thanks.