Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 04-30-2019, 06:58 AM   #201
+NRG
Human being with feelings

I believe the V5 Forum Theme (REAPER 5) takes care of that issue automatically (resizing images). Bottom left of forum you can select which theme to use...
Old 05-05-2019, 01:15 PM   #202
MT_

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
oh sorry, I did not notice! It was a linked image, perhaps forum code needs a definition for this kind. Anyway now tagged as url instead.

Apparently forum page width depends on browser (no horizontal scrolling here on Firefox, but I see it affects iOS/Safari and probably other browsers).
Thanks for the edit. I’m using Firefox too (Windows).

Quote:
Originally Posted by +NRG View Post
I believe the V5 Forum Theme (REAPER 5) takes care of that issue automatically (resizing images). Bottom left of forum you can select which theme to use...
Nice, didn’t know about that feature, thanks.
MT_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:23 PM   #203
klong

Holy cow, how did I not find this before? I've been using an older MBP with a 4k external monitor and this theme looks SO much sharper than the default. THANKS !!!!
klong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:01 AM   #204
Nicce70

Default HiDpi Midi Editor

Anyone who knows if the HiDpi problems with some elements in Midi Editorn is being fixed?
Attached Images
File Type: png MidiEditorHiDPI.PNG (52.0 KB, 727 views)
Nicce70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:59 PM   #205
MT_

Default 2.5 years after initial HiDPI support and 5 years of 4K-monitor era

Yeah, after 2.5 years since implementing the initial HiDPI support and 5 years of the 4K-monitor era, it would certainly make sense for HiDPI support in Reaper to be finally completed.

“Constant Evolution” ;-)
Old 07-26-2019, 03:47 AM   #206
Rubrik

Hi I read the whole thread and I think I missed the solution to my problem.
I just got a 4K monitor and Reaper looked horribly blurry or incredibly tiny. Tried the HighDPI thing in preferences. It made it a bit better but still blurry.
Tried this HiDPI theme, looks awesome, but it's HUGE.
Is there a way to scale it down (the scaling in preference does not work as others already said) or I have to accept to work with a blurry program for 8 hours a day?

Me sad
Rubrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:27 AM   #207
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubrik View Post
H
Is there a way to scale it down
Why ? Is it bigger than 4K ?

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:34 AM   #208
MaXyM

what does "bigger than 4K" mean?
4K doesn't define a size. Not even pixel density. Just pixels quantity.

He likely has big monitor with 4K pixel number. In such case 200%/retina themes doesn't help because neither 100% or 200% scale are proper for such monitor.

@Rubrik
check out this theme.https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=219391
It is designed to cover needs of big monitors users as well as retina displays.
Regardless you like it or not, you can read an article about what and why happens to Reaper in such resolutions how themes might cope with it and why most of themes cannot scale well (mentioned theme is an exception).

Also you can try development builds. While they are improvements for current major version, already contain improvements in HighDPI department to be deployed in Realer v6 I think. As I saw recently, most themes should scale properly if you disable global_scale in a theme and use DPIscale in preferences instead. Keep in mind that scaling will result in some blurrines, especially up-scaling. Also it's a bit advanced subject so you might not feel comfy at beginning .

Last edited by MaXyM; 07-26-2019 at 09:47 AM.
MaXyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:53 AM   #209
krahosk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXyM View Post
what does "bigger than 4K" mean?
4K doesn't define a size. Not even pixel density. Just pixels quantity.
But density would describe it well. More density in QHD than FHD and even denser in 4K. Density is proportional to quantity, but with the additional information of the given quantity in space (volume).
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:20 AM   #210
MaXyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
But density would describe it well. More density in QHD than FHD and even denser in 4K. Density is proportional to quantity, but with the additional information of the given quantity in space (volume).
Density is proportional to quantity only if size is const.
4K defines nothing but number of pixels.
And if you were read previous posts, you would know the question about 4K is irrelevant.

But yeah.. maybe I'm too neat-picky

Last edited by MaXyM; 07-28-2019 at 08:06 AM.
MaXyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:49 PM   #211
MT_

Default Reaper 6 brings complete (?) HiDPI support

Looks like Reaper 6 finally brings complete HiDPI support enabled by default and available in the default theme. The only thing I’m worried about so far is that the maximum supported zoom specified is 200% (the other two are 150% and 100%). So with upcoming 8K monitors, we won’t be able to use e.g. 400%, or even use 300% with existing 5K monitors.

A better implementation would contain a built-in scaling mechanism that would upscale any chosen theme to any current OS-level zoom. For example, a theme that supports 200% at maximum, could then be upscaled to any higher zoom such as 400% (with 2×2 square pixels), 600% (with 3×3 pixels), 800% (with 4×4 pixels) with integer scaling with no blur, or any non-integer-ratio one like 300% (150%=1.5 relative to 200%) or even something unusual like 188% (1.88) by downscaling from 200% using bicubic or bilinear interpolation.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:10 PM   #212
Joe90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_ View Post
A better implementation would contain a built-in scaling mechanism that would upscale any chosen theme to any current OS-level zoom. For example, a theme that supports 200% at maximum, could then be upscaled to any higher zoom such as 400% (with 2×2 square pixels), 600% (with 3×3 pixels), 800% (with 4×4 pixels) with integer scaling with no blur, or any non-integer-ratio one like 300% (150%=1.5 relative to 200%) or even something unusual like 188% (1.88) by downscaling from 200% using bicubic or bilinear interpolation.
I think we have this already. In 'Advanced UI/System Tweaks' options in the preferences menu there are more HiDPI scaling options now, as well as a global scaling option for UI elements. I'm using 5.0 default nitpicky in 4k, Win10 is scaling at 150% and Reaper is scaling with it and looks great (for the most part).
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:46 PM   #213
srdmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I think we have this already. In 'Advanced UI/System Tweaks' options in the preferences menu there are more HiDPI scaling options now, as well as a global scaling option for UI elements. I'm using 5.0 default nitpicky in 4k, Win10 is scaling at 150% and Reaper is scaling with it and looks great (for the most part).
I don't think that's what the other user is asking for. I believe he's asking the DEVs to allow old 5.0 themes to 'uprez' and interpolate pixels for a smoother puree. That's not the same as just doubling the pixels with a scale.
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:51 AM   #214
MT_

Quote:
That global scaling didn’t work as expected — many elements weren’t properly scaled, otherwise we wouldn’t be awaiting true HiDPI support so eagerly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdmusic View Post
I don't think that's what the other user is asking for. I believe he's asking the DEVs to allow old 5.0 themes to 'uprez' and interpolate pixels for a smoother puree. That's not the same as just doubling the pixels with a scale.
At integer scaling ratios, I’m interested exactly in pixel doubling with no blur. Blur is only inevitable at fractional ratios when bilinear or bicubic interpolation is used (nearest neighbour results in distortion at fractional ratios), and such lossy blurry interpolation should only be used at fractional ratios.

My point is that Reaper should have a universal built-in scaling mechanism that would make it 100% future-proof in terms of not being limited by a specific maximum ratio such as 200% and flexible in terms of specific scaling ratios supported. And now that Reaper apparently has the infrastructure needed for true HiDPI support, such scaling is probably much more possible.

Last edited by MT_; 12-05-2019 at 03:57 AM.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:15 AM   #215
Joe90

[QUOTE=MT_;2211109]That global scaling didn’t work as expected — many elements weren’t properly scaled, otherwise we wouldn’t be awaiting true HiDPI support so eagerly.

Did you try 'multimonitor aware' mode? Reaper will scale with your OS scaling settings - is that not what you were describing in your original post?
Old 12-05-2019, 11:23 AM   #216
MT_

Quote:
Did you try 'multimonitor aware' mode? Reaper will scale with your OS scaling settings - is that not what you were describing in your original post?
“Multimonitor aware” is exactly the HiDPI mode available and enabled by default in Reaper 6, that I told about in the first of my recent comments above. But according to official information, it is limited to three fixed zooms: 100%, 150% and 200%, while I’m talking about potential universal support for any zoom by scaling any theme to any zoom. Did you read my comment entirely and carefully?
Old 12-05-2019, 11:30 AM   #217
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
But according to official information, it is limited to three fixed zooms: 100%, 150% and 200%
Really? It would be news to me; those are just the three sizes I did for the V6 theme.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:37 AM   #218
MT_

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Really? It would be news to me; those are just the three sizes I did for the V6 theme.
Would be glad to be wrong. Some first-hand clarification would be welcome.

What would Reaper 6.0 do at OS-level zoom of 300% or 400%? Would the theme be automatically scaled accordingly, or would the theme scale be limited to 200% (and therefore Reaper GUI would be 1.5x [at 300% OS-level zoom] or 2x [at 400%] smaller than should be)? Thanks.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:30 PM   #219
Joe90

Quote:
Would be glad to be wrong. Some first-hand clarification would be welcome.

What would Reaper 6.0 do at OS-level zoom of 300% or 400%? Would the theme be automatically scaled accordingly, or would the theme scale be limited to 200% (and therefore Reaper GUI would be 1.5x [at 300% OS-level zoom] or 2x [at 400%] smaller than should be)? Thanks.
I think there is some confusion here - there is no maximum zoom specified as far as I'm aware (and White Tie has just confirmed I believe). The additional scaled-up layouts are a separate option to the new HiDPI scaling modes, and probably won't be necessary for most users with standard sized monitors now that we have both 'multimonitor aware' and 'multimonitor aware+ignore'.

If you are using multimonitor aware mode, then surely you can see the theme IS scaling with your OS scaling settings, and it's not limited to only three sizes? Is that not what you are asking about? Or you could just set your own OS scaling to 300% and check it yourself...
Old 12-05-2019, 12:41 PM   #220
MT_

Quote:
If you are using multimonitor aware mode, then surely you can see the theme IS scaling with your OS scaling settings, and it's not limited to only three sizes? Is that not what you are asking about?
OS-level scaling in Windows is only applied to apps not declared as DPI-aware. Apps declared as DPI-aware are not scaled by Windows, such apps should scale themselves.

As for Reaper’s own scaling capability, we probably don’t have to guess while we could get a first-hand clarification. Let’s just see what Cockos officials say.

Quote:
Or you could just set your own OS scaling to 300% and check it yourself...
Yeah, hopefully I’ll be able to do such test on my 4K monitor in a couple of days.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:54 PM   #221
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
The V6 theme would limit you to 200%, because that's as high as I made it go. So at 400% you'd get a half size 200% theme. But if I went to the effort of doing a load of 400% images, my expectation is that would totally work fine.

Remember, this is all about removing the blurriness from autoscaled images. If you were okay with them, you could (still being 400% guy) go into the theme and tell it that 400% is a real size and then point it at the 200% images to use. That should work.

This is all brand new, so please note that I haven't actually tested all the permutations yet, but so far as a HiDPI system its pretty damn robust and future proof for a bitmap based UI.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:45 PM   #222
MT_

Quote:
The V6 theme would limit you to 200%, because that's as high as I made it go. So at 400% you'd get a half size 200% theme.
Thanks for the info. That’s what I suspected based on the official info and what makes Reaper not actually future-proof and not quite HiDPI-compatible. The whole HiDPI support is not just about hard-coded themes, but more about the application’s flexible rendering infrastructure.

For Reaper to be 100% HiDPI-compatible and future-proof, Reaper should be able to scale any theme automatically (with no need for user to manually edit any files with no guaranteed result) based on the data corresponding to the highest pixel density (scale, zoom) the theme supports.

So if the maximum scale a theme supports is 200%, the 200% part of the theme would be automatically upscaled with a ratio of 2.0 when OS-level zoom is 400% (400/200 = 2.0). And such scaling could be smart: either nearest-neighbour (nonblurry) or bilinear/bicubic (blurry) interpolation could be used depending on whether upscaling ratio is integer or fractional.

So for scaling a 200% theme to 300%, with a corresponding ratio of 1.5 (fractional), bilinear/bicubic interpolation would be inevitably used because 1.5×1.5 pixels are physically impossible without partially mixing sibling pixels of original image. But for scaling 200% to 400%, nearest neighbour would be used, resulting in perfect uniform square same-color 2×2 pixels. For example, that’s how Windows upscales non-DPI-aware (DPI-unaware) apps: with blur at fractional ratios like 150% (=1.5), and with no blur at integer ratios like 200% (2.0) or 300% (3.0).

TLDR: True future-proof HiDPI support (not tied to whether the theme supports a specific DPI or whether a higher-DPI theme will ever be created), would include a scaling mechanism built into Reaper itself, and that mechanism would automatically scale any theme selected by the user, according to OS-level zoom regardless of whether it is equal to one of those explicitly supported by the theme.

And do I understand correctly that HiDPI support in Reaper 6.0 (compared with 5.x) is not limited just to creating a more complete theme, but also includes some fundamental internal changes in its program logic? Do those changes include Reaper’s capability (either already available or allowing for relatively easy implementation) to autoscale themes, like I described before? Thanks.

Last edited by MT_; 12-05-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:19 PM   #223
MT_

Default Tested at 300% and 400% — themed elements are not scaled

Tested Reaper 6.01 at 300% and 400%: themed elements like transport panel or mixer are indeed not scaled beyond 200%. Nonthemed things like splash, settings and menu are scaled.

Full-size screenshots:
  • 200% (3840×2042, 490 KB)
  • 400% (5760×3004, 550 KB)
Note the sizes of the VSTi GUI (correctly scaled by Windows’ DPI scaling) and Reaper menu relative to the fixed 200% size of Reaper themed GUI elements.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:49 PM   #224
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
So if the maximum scale a theme supports is 200%, the 200% part of the theme would be automatically upscaled with a ratio of 2.0 when OS-level zoom is 400% (400/200 = 2.0).
This is actually easy to support in REAPER, and is more or less disabled by the theme itself at the moment -- once 400% displays come around we can turn it on.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:27 AM   #225
MT_

Default 5K monitors and 4K laptops on the market; 100%-only custom themes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
This is actually easy to support in REAPER, and is more or less disabled by the theme itself at the moment
Good to know, thanks.

Quote:
once 400% displays come around we can turn it on
300%-capable displays are already on the market for a while. Those are 27″ 5K (5120×2880) monitors (e.g. Dell UP2715K, Iiyama XB2779QQS-S1, LG 27MD5KA) and 13.3-15.6″ 4K laptops (e.g. HP EliteBook 840 G5, ASUS ZenBook 13), just not as popular due to their price. 13.3″ 4K is even equivalent to 26.6″ 8K display in terms of pixel density.

Also, this is not just about scaling the default theme. Afaict, there are multiple custom 100%-only themes that are tiny at 200%+ OS-level zooms. Yes, they can be scaled by Windows in DPI-unaware mode, but such scaling is blurry under Windows 7, and also text gets blurry/pixelated too in any Windows while could be rendered at native resolution if themes were scaled by Reaper itself.

Automatic theme scaling in Reaper is important right now. It’s also important for such scaling to be nonblurry at integer ratios (e.g. 100→200%, 200→400%). The great modern DAW deserves this.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:33 PM   #226
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Afaict, there are multiple custom 100%-only themes that are tiny at 200%+ OS-level zooms. Yes, they can be scaled by Windows in DPI-unaware mode, but such scaling is blurry under Windows 7, and also text gets blurry/pixelated too in any Windows while could be rendered at native resolution if themes were scaled by Reaper itself.
As it is now 100%-only themes *are* scaled by REAPER in DPI-aware mode. Such scaling is blurry, as the source images are 100%, though text is not.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:09 PM   #227
MT_

Quote:
As it is now 100%-only themes *are* scaled by REAPER in DPI-aware mode. Such scaling is blurry, as the source images are 100%, though text is not.
Wow, that’s much better, thanks for the info. So the only missing ingredients left for perfectly universal future-proof HiDPI support in Reaper are:

1. nonblurry scaling by pixel duplication/doubling (“Nearest Neighbour” instead of bilinear/bicubic) at integer ratios such as 2.0 (200%), 3.0 (300%), etc. while still using blurry scaling at fractional ratios such as 1.75 (175%) or 2.5 (250%);

2. OS-zoom-aware scaling for all themes regardless of whether they are 100%-only, and generate scaled versions of graphics based on the highest-resolution assets available in the theme.

Tested the built-in 100%-only themes “Default_4.0”, “Default_5.0”, “Classic_1.x”. They are indeed scaled, mainly with blur. But interestingly, some elements are already scaled with NO blur — namely the icons in the right column in the MIDI-editor window (track muting, track recording, etc.) opened via a double click on a MIDI item. So it probably gets even easier just to apply the same [already available] nonblurry scaling to other graphics in the theme as well, with no even need to implement nonblurry scaling from scratch.

Thanks for your attention.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:37 PM   #228
Tod

Is there a way to make the volume levels over the meters in the TCP a little brighter. Also the ones in the MCP over the meters as well as the fader levels. It's very hard to see them against the dark background.

I looked in the Theme Tweaker but couldn't find anything to do this. Is there a reason it's not there.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:04 PM   #229
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Is there a way to make the volume levels over the meters in the TCP a little brighter. Also the ones in the MCP over the meters as well as the fader levels. It's very hard to see them against the dark background.

I looked in the Theme Tweaker but couldn't find anything to do this. Is there a reason it's not there.
Humm, this suddenly all got shifted, does that mean my question is going into oblivion.

Does that mean I have to go back to Reaper Theme 3, I sure hop not.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:24 AM   #230
ernzo

Just out of curiosity..
Would it be possible to use/apply a xBRZ filter to upscale GUI elements,
or would that be too hard to implement/too taxing on the system/performance?

Last edited by ernzo; 04-10-2020 at 10:43 AM.
ernzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 10:08 AM   #231
kyotosound

Default download link not work

this download link not work anymore
https://landoleet.org/dev/Default_5....ReaperThemeZip
- plz - i need in this template - Share someone please
kyotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 03:11 AM   #232
kyotosound

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyotosound View Post
this download link not work anymore
https://landoleet.org/dev/Default_5....ReaperThemeZip
- plz - i need in this template - Share someone please

guys - anyone???
Old 10-06-2023, 03:29 AM   #233
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

That theme was only for experimental purposes during the development of Reaper v6's HiDPI functionality. It is deprecated because it does not properly conform to Reaper's HiDPI methodology as released.

It sort-of works, you probably shouldn't use it but it won't do any harm, I'm not offering any support or development of it, but if you're curious or have a use for it then HERE is the file. Good luck!
Old 10-06-2023, 07:50 AM   #234
kyotosound

Quote:
That theme was only for experimental purposes during the development of Reaper v6's HiDPI functionality. It is deprecated because it does not properly conform to Reaper's HiDPI methodology as released.

It sort-of works, you probably shouldn't use it but it won't do any harm, I'm not offering any support or development of it, but if you're curious or have a use for it then HERE is the file. Good luck!

Thank you so much - I loved this theme so much !!!!