Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 11-10-2019, 08:01 AM   #1
Baro64
Human being with feelings

Default Render: silently increment filenames + save prj leads to unrelate names

Hi group.
When rendering project sometimes I find useful to keep both the resulting mp3 and the related RPP.

In the "Render to File" dialog windows I check "Silently increment filenames to avoid overwriting"and "Save copy of project to outfile.wav.RPP"

Let's call the project mysong.RPP and suppose I have already a previous render mysong.mp3 alongwith the pertaining mysong.mp3.RPP in the output directory.

When I run a new render, in the render directory then I find:
- mysong.mp3 (the previous render)
- mysong-001.mp3 (the current last render)
- mysong.mp3.RPP (the project copy pertaining to mysong-001.mp3, current last render, that overwrote the previous saved version of the project).

Every further run of render creates a new mp3 with number in filenames incremented as expected, while the project is always saved as mysong.mp3.RPP, so that copy of project pertaining to previous render are overwritten, only the last is left).

Is this the intended behavoir?
I wish instead, when checking "Save copy of project to outfile.wav.RPP" having the projects saved with incremented file name alongwith the respective renders, without overwriting previous copy, i.e. if I render to mysong-00n.mp3 I wish to have mysong-00n.mp3.RPP whatever n is. Are you aware of a tweak to accomplish this task?

I'm using Reaper v5.984/64 on osX.

Thanks for the attention.
Andrea
Baro64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:07 AM   #2
schwa
Administrator

That is the intended behavior, yes. If you want to save different versions of the RPP that correspond to different renders with the same name, you'll need to save-as the project.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:30 AM   #3
akademie

Hmm, well the function to be able to automatically increment filenames of renders is good and very helpful, indeed.

But the situation Baro64 describes also shows how messy it can become in some cases

I would also suggest then that the "Save copy of project to outfile.wav.RPP" option would be more smart and respect that you are actually rendering incremented file and increment also the outfile RPP respectively. So we could always have corresponding filename of outfile RPP for any render, incremented or not. Please, consider it, schwa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baro64 View Post
When I run a new render, in the render directory then I find:
- mysong.mp3 (the previous render)
- mysong-001.mp3 (the current last render)
[]b- mysong.mp3.RPP (the project copy pertaining to mysong-001.mp3, current last render, that overwrote the previous saved version of the project).[/b]

I wish instead, when checking "Save copy of project to outfile.wav.RPP" having the projects saved with incremented file name alongwith the respective renders, without overwriting previous copy, i.e. if I render to mysong-00n.mp3 I wish to have mysong-00n.mp3.RPP whatever n is.

Last edited by akademie; 11-11-2019 at 05:44 AM. Reason: adding parts of orig.message ; typo
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:34 AM   #4
akademie

+1
Take it into consideration, please. Thank you.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:33 AM   #5
akademie

+10
bumping, please