Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-27-2020, 11:46 AM   #1
kenTheriot
Human being with feelings

Default Can You Apply ReaFir Noise Reduction While Recording/Livestreaming?

Originally I wondered if you could save a preset noise profile. That seems to be totally do-able. I believe I did manage to save a noise profile by saving as a preset after collecting the noise profile. I can then apply it - since I saved it with Automatically build noise profile unchecked.

My question now is - can you apply this preset WHILE you are recording or maybe live-streaming? Or does it only get applied/printed after the fact?

I certainly cannot hear the effect being applied while monitoring my recording. I'm just not sure if that is because what I'm hearing is pre-effect, or if there is a way to monitor "post effect" which would only be possible if the effect can be applied WHILE recording.

Hopefully this made sense :-P.

Last edited by kenTheriot; 03-27-2020 at 12:11 PM.
kenTheriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:17 PM   #2
EManBass

Have you tried putting it in the Input FX instead of as a regular FX?
EManBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:22 PM   #3
kenTheriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by EManBass View Post
Have you tried putting it in the Input FX instead of as a regular FX?
I confess that I don't know know how to do that :-P. I've only been using Reaper for 10+ years. Sigh. So no, I have not tried that.

I'll have a look at the manual to see how to try it. Thanks!
Old 03-27-2020, 12:30 PM   #4
kenTheriot

OK, I tried it and it DOES seem to work. Had to turn on "record monitoring" to hear it working. Thanks! I've never had any need for this so didn't know about it. But now I do.

My question now -- is there a way to only hear the "Record Monitor" version while recording. With Reocrd Monitoring turned on, I'm getting both the double audio of direct monitoring and the record monitoring.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:46 AM   #5
EManBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenTheriot View Post
My question now -- is there a way to only hear the "Record Monitor" version while recording. With Reocrd Monitoring turned on, I'm getting both the double audio of direct monitoring and the record monitoring.
I don't think I understand your question. Direct monitoring and record monitoring are the exact same signal, at least to my knowledge. In fact, I don't know of any other way of monitoring in Reaper other than input monitoring and playback, so maybe I'm about to learn something new myself =) Are you using any other means of monitoring? Does your audio interface has a direct monitoring option, and are you using that? If so, don't use the interface's monitoring since you'll hear the dry signal directly from your mic in this case, into the interface, and back into your headphones or speakers. Without it, your audio will go into your computer, get processed, and back into your playback transducers. You'll have to adjust your buffer size to get manageable latency but this should work, especially if you are using a low-cpu noise reduction tool.

And actually, even without putting this in the input FX should give you the playback *after* the noise reduction. The only thing difference is that the input FX will get printed in the track and you won't be able to undo it. That's why I wonder if you are using any other form of monitoring other than Reaper's native way.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:00 PM   #6
kenTheriot

OK I think I have this figured out. I do NOT hear the effect when only doing direct monitoring, which is coming from the M-Audio Mobil-Pre interface. I only can hear the applied effect if I toggle on "Record Monitoring." Without that, I just get the dry signal coming from the interface DM. But then I get the 2 signals (wet and dry) in the headphones. But when I toggle Direct Monitoring off on the Mobil-Pre though, I hear only the wet signal in the headphones as long as I have "Record Monitoring" turned on.

So that was really all was looking for :-). The only issue is the latency, which is not that bad.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:43 AM   #7
EManBass

That's what I thought! Yeah, don't use the monitoring from your interface, but the one from Reaper. And see if playing with the buffer size can help with the latency, but it sounds like you have a happy compromise =)
Old 03-29-2020, 09:09 AM   #8
kenTheriot

I do yes. Thanks!