Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 10-13-2017, 08:07 AM   #201
fundorin
Banned

This is what I've been waiting from Reaper devs for more that five years. Good attempt, Geoff!
It took me a couple of minutes to understand that ini file should go to AppData, while the plugin itself should be placed where other csurf plugins are.
Is it true that CSI is only useful for mcu compatible devices for now?

Since I'm using Novation SL MkII, I don't understand this part:
/ First thing to do is name your surface like Mix1
/ For this simple method there can be NO SPACES in the Control surface name

Where exactly should I rename my controller? Plugin itself doesn't have any settings. Windows isn't allowing to do such things. I can rename the device in Reaper itself, but would rather wait for your answer. Or I'll try and get back to you later.

I have a couple of questions, though.
Would it be possible to convert osc/midi data from reaper to sysex for displaying names/params on the controller's LCD?
Does it support any buttons/encoders/transport control at this stage? Only faders for now, without setting it's midi addresses?

P.S. Plugin makes Reaper to play single piano note at start and also each time when track is added. I suppose it somehow tries to communicate with Microsoft System GM Synth.
fundorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:22 AM   #202
nofish
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundorin View Post

Since I'm using Novation SL MkII, I don't understand this part:
/ First thing to do is name your surface like Mix1
/ For this simple method there can be NO SPACES in the Control surface name

Where exactly should I rename my controller?
In the CSI.ini file.
For example, the first line here reads (since I'm using a BCR):

MidiInMonitor=Off
MidiOutMonitor=Off
BCR200 8 5 8

edit:
I should clarify, the naming part is not crucial for functioning, just to help identify your controller(s) when testing. It shows this name when MIDI monitoring is enabled and data is received, as seen here:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=184

Last edited by nofish; 10-13-2017 at 08:47 AM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:37 AM   #203
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
edit:
I should clarify, the naming part is not crucial for functioning, just to help identify your controller(s) when testing. It shows this name when MIDI monitoring is enabled and data is received, as seen here:
So, if I have, for example, two controllers connected, both communicating with pc via channel1, how the plugin would distinguish, which controller should display which data?

Two controllers. 8 faders and 2 buttons in each. Faders on both used to control track volume in mixer. Buttons are for track bank switching.
Suppose, first controller is set to control tracks 1-8 volume with bank buttons.
Second is set to control tracks 9-16.
We move track 1 volume in reaper. What would happen? Which of the controllers would receive the feedback from Reaper?

Next, we select faders 1-8 with bank buttons of the second controller, so both controllers are set the same. We move track1 volume in reaper again. What would happen now?

My questions might be irrelevant, though, since it may be that at this state plugin is only allowing faders 1-8 to be set for the first controller, 9-16 for the second one and so one.
Anyway, since it seems that plugin is now set to work with MCU compatible hardware, I'll wait till the next release with my SL MkII.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:12 PM   #204
nofish

Yes, currently it's hardwired afaik.

Quote:
You will be able to tell where your surface is showing up by the Control Surface name at the left of the midi message in the debug window
Mix1 - tracks 1-8
Mix2 - tracks 9-16
Control - tracks 17-20
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=165
Old 10-13-2017, 12:36 PM   #205
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
So, if I have, for example, two controllers connected, both communicating with pc via channel1, how the plugin would distinguish, which controller should display which data?

Two controllers. 8 faders and 2 buttons in each. Faders on both used to control track volume in mixer. Buttons are for track bank switching.
Suppose, first controller is set to control tracks 1-8 volume with bank buttons.
Second is set to control tracks 9-16.
We move track 1 volume in reaper. What would happen? Which of the controllers would receive the feedback from Reaper?

Next, we select faders 1-8 with bank buttons of the second controller, so both controllers are set the same. We move track1 volume in reaper again. What would happen now?

My questions might be irrelevant, though, since it may be that at this state plugin is only allowing faders 1-8 to be set for the first controller, 9-16 for the second one and so one.
Anyway, since it seems that plugin is now set to work with MCU compatible hardware, I'll wait till the next release with my SL MkII.
Yeah, it's a very early pre alpha, some folks wanted a sneak peek, so it's up there, more for discussion purposes than anything.

As for banking nofish has it right.

When you say 2 controllers on channel 1, not sure what you mean, each controller would be on a seperate midi channel.

As far as how they layout, it's simple as shown in nofish's post.

Here's a sample file:
Mix1 8 1 1
Mix2 8 2 2
Control 4 3 3

The first number after the name is the number of faders, then midi in channel, then midi out channel.

So you see we have a logical surface of 20 channels -- 8 + 8 + 4

CSI will lay out the tracks on this surface as they are listed in the file.

So of you wanted the hardware with 4 faders to show the first 4 channels, you simply change the order:
Control 4 3 3
Mix1 8 1 1
Mix2 8 2 2

Simple as that !

Now as far as banking, the map will allow you to put in your bank page amount, 20 might work here as that's the size of the logical surface, but you can set it to anytihing you like, once maps are implemented, of course
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:59 AM   #206
fundorin
Banned

Will it be possible to use keymaps the same way as with OSC and oscii-bot script?
I mean, full customization, like you decide the behaviour of the controller. Simple match logic: "if this then that". "If shift button A is held, than faders control send, else if shift button A was pressed and released, than faders control panorama, else faders control volume".

Or, if button A is held, LCD is displaying first of current selected track's sends, else if no tracks selected, LCD is displaying sends of the first tracks that have any sends, else LCD is displaying volume level for 8 tracks from currently selected bank.

Last edited by fundorin; 10-14-2017 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:35 PM   #207
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Will it be possible to use keymaps the same way as with OSC and oscii-bot script?
I mean, full customization, like you decide the behaviour of the controller. Simple match logic: "if this then that". "If shift button A is held, than faders control send, else if shift button A was pressed and released, than faders control panorama, else faders control volume".

Or, if button A is held, LCD is displaying first of current selected track's sends, else if no tracks selected, LCD is displaying sends of the first tracks that have any sends, else LCD is displaying volume level for 8 tracks from currently selected bank.
Yes, exactly, that's the whole reason for the project
Old 10-14-2017, 05:06 PM   #208
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Yes, exactly, that's the whole reason for the project
Glad to hear. I wonder, why Reaper devs didn't write such plugin years ago. Yet, still, it's good, that it's finally happening.
I'm really insterested of how would those keymaps look like. It's easy to imagine such configuration files based on something like Lua scripting, but simple text with some logic that would allow to convert data from Reaper into sysex commands to display text and parameters on built-in LCD - that's should be a whole new level.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:33 AM   #209
studer58

This one looks useful, 8 more faders than the Faderport 8 !: https://www.presonus.com/products/Fa...-16/tech-specs

Is anyone using it yet ...and how well does it integrate with Reaper ?
studer58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:42 AM   #210
Geoff Waddington

Ok, VU meter response seems good enough to me, what say you folks ?

https://youtu.be/XdCO1633hGg

Also, added the ability to enter values for VU meter range.
This along, with the Reaper values for min/max VU in Preferences->Appearance->Track Control Panels are used to enable you tweak the meter to taste, as well as get generally more accurate values.

Now I'm going to apply the same rules to Faders, in an attempt to get more accurate tracking between Reaper and the surfaces.

Note that the values are set per fader/meter, so there's lots of room for flexibility there.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:33 PM   #211
nofish

Quote:
Ok, VU meter response seems good enough to me, what say you folks ?

https://youtu.be/XdCO1633hGg
I never had a real MCU in my hands so I don't have any comparison but looks good to me.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:23 PM   #212
semiquaver

looks snappy enough
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:39 AM   #213
Geoff Waddington

Ok, sends...

I like the idea of representing sends on faders, because sends have mutes, pans, etc., they feel like a channel.

Some people like sends on rotaries.

What's your preference and why ?
Old 10-18-2017, 06:46 AM   #214
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
As for me, Geoff, I prefer to assign any banking parameters (in pairs of 8) to any physical controls, i.e encoders, pots and faders. This freedom will allow one to customize his non-mcu controller the way he likes.

For example, with my SL MkII I want four independent global presets, accessible via user/fx/inst/mixer physical buttons.
Each preset could be anything, since I may not use extensively markers or regions in "user" preset for now (regular midi without feedback) and don't need them in my controller, but I might want them to be implemented later.
And I don't now, which type of control could be most suitable for those or any other Reaper tasks that I'm not aware yet.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:09 AM   #215
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
As for me, Geoff, I prefer to assign any banking parameters (in pairs of 8) to any physical controls, i.e encoders, pots and faders. This freedom will allow one to customize his non-mcu controller the way he likes.

For example, with my SL MkII I want four independent global presets, accessible via user/fx/inst/mixer physical buttons.
Each preset could be anything, since I may not use extensively markers or regions in "user" preset for now (regular midi without feedback) and don't need them in my controller, but I might want them to be implemented later.
And I don't now, which type of control could be most suitable for those or any other Reaper tasks that I'm not aware yet.
Yes, of course, you will be able to do all of that, I'm just looking for reasons one might like one over the other, so that the application can accommodate the thinking.

As you say, I'm looking for how people interact with what's available now, and how they use it (rotary, fader, etc.).
Old 10-18-2017, 08:17 AM   #216
orbiterred

Quote:
Ok, sends...

I like the idea of representing sends on faders, because sends have mutes, pans, etc., they feel like a channel.

Sends on faders for me. The way Klinke's plug works with the faderport 8 is great, select track hit sends and i've got all my sends/receives right there on motorized faders with ability to solo/mute. Can't get any simpler.
orbiterred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:56 AM   #217
fundorin
Banned

I have a question. What about touch sensitive controls? For example, SL MkII changes the info that is shown on the LCD, depending on what control have been touched. This works with every type of control, except buttons. The controller itself sends out specific CC's at that moment. AFAIR they're different values of the same CC for faders row, encoders row, pots row and one extra encoder in the middle of the controller.
Do you consider the plugin to react not only to 0-1 or 0-127 values, but the different values (or ranges) of the same CC as well?
Old 10-18-2017, 01:24 PM   #218
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
I have a question. What about touch sensitive controls? For example, SL MkII changes the info that is shown on the LCD, depending on what control have been touched. This works with every type of control, except buttons. The controller itself sends out specific CC's at that moment. AFAIR they're different values of the same CC for faders row, encoders row, pots row and one extra encoder in the middle of the controller.
Do you consider the plugin to react not only to 0-1 or 0-127 values, but the different values (or ranges) of the same CC as well?
Wow, I just tried to look up the midi implementation (saw your older thread on this in my travels), that is one strange beast, with extra "secret" USB port and such

Anyway , what matters is whether touching a control sends a midi message.

If the touch sends a midi message like MCU, you're good to go.

Have you any midi info on the sl mkii ?
Old 10-19-2017, 07:41 AM   #219
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Wow, I just tried to look up the midi implementation (saw your older thread on this in my travels), that is one strange beast, with extra "secret" USB port and such
That extra midi port is 90% the same as the second port, which is used for CC messages. It's not USB, but virtual midi port.
Quote:
Anyway , what matters is whether touching a control sends a midi message.
If the touch sends a midi message like MCU, you're good to go.
Yes, it does send a midi message, but not mcu-specific one.

Quote:
Have you any midi info on the sl mkii ?
Sure. Here's the link.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:04 AM   #220
Geoff Waddington

Looks like you are good, the sl mkii does emit separate messages for touch.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #221
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Looks like you are good, the sl mkii does emit separate messages for touch.
It sure does. Just not the regular way.
That third port is used to communicate with Automap software.
I've read MCU specs and must say that SL should be much easier to implement, except the LCD part, witch requires to encode long sysex messages.Good thing that it fully described in programmers manual, so I hope it won't big of an issue for me to implement them.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:45 PM   #222
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
It sure does. Just not the regular way.
That third port is used to communicate with Automap software.
I've read MCU specs and must say that SL should be much easier to implement, except the LCD part, witch requires to encode long sysex messages.Good thing that it fully described in programmers manual, so I hope it won't big of an issue for me to implement them.
Ummm...

Don't want to give the wrong impression here, you won't (at least at first) be able to do things like SysEx programming directly. that would have to be added from this end.

You could, of course, invoke the SysEx code through some kind of script that was triggered by an action hooked to update, so, in that sense you could program things.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:39 PM   #223
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Ummm...

Don't want to give the wrong impression here, you won't (at least at first) be able to do things like SysEx programming directly. that would have to be added from this end.

You could, of course, invoke the SysEx code through some kind of script that was triggered by an action hooked to update, so, in that sense you could program things.
To display text on LCD, one need to take a string from Reaper, like track name "Guitar Harmony", convert each letter to the corresponding hex code and decide, at which position on the LCD it should be displayed.
For example, we choose starting position for this text as first character of the second row of the left display (SL 25 have two displays, so one need to clarify which display should be used, even when MkII have only one LCD).

So, if one wants to display the state of Reaper buttons, he should construct the message for, using a template.
Then, sysex message for controller is constructed:

Will it be possible to do such things with the plugin? How does the MCU-compatible controllers displays info from Reaper now, using the existing csurf plugins?
Old 10-19-2017, 03:29 PM   #224
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Will it be possible to do such things with the plugin? How does the MCU-compatible controllers displays info from Reaper now, using the existing csurf plugins?
The MCU display uses similar F0 -data- F7 (SysEx) streams for text.

Once again the plugin will not allow you to code things at that level, that would have to be done in the plugin code itself.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:45 PM   #225
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
The MCU display uses similar F0 -data- F7 (SysEx) streams for text.

Once again the plugin will not allow you to code things at that level, that would have to be done in the plugin code itself.
These means that the customization won't be possible, then. Sad to hear.

Last edited by fundorin; 10-19-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:00 AM   #226
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
I'm just finalizing it now, I certainly will share it with you when it's done.

Do you already have your Mix and Control talking to Reaper in Mackie mode ?
I also have that setup but I don't have the units talking to REAPER yet. I thought that wasn't possible using the latest Eucon software. Could you please walk me through it? I'd really appreciate it because those things are collecting dust
Old 10-20-2017, 07:37 AM   #227
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
I also have that setup but I don't have the units talking to REAPER yet. I thought that wasn't possible using the latest Eucon software. Could you please walk me through it? I'd really appreciate it because those things are collecting dust
Ok, you mean you want use Mackie protocol with the Artist series ?

On a Mac just go into Settings EuCon and drag Reaper onto the EuCon window and tweak a couple of drop-downs, presume there's something similar in the Windows world.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:44 PM   #228
fundorin
Banned

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Geoff, but I feel like this might be interesting.

Has anyone tried the app that goes together with MadMapper - software for video mapping? It's called MadRouter and allows both simple and advanced translation between OSC and MIDI.
Simple translation is done similarly to OSCulator, while advanced is including python script creating and editing.
One can add a pair of devices (dmx, art-net, midi, osc, keyboard, ps3/4 gamepad) and create a translation, using wildcards and ranges.
After creating a pair, one can edit the script, using Python language.

Screenshot 1 - https://i.imgur.com/7b8UwVC.png
Screenshot 2 - https://i.imgur.com/EZIM32r.png

There's very little info on the official site and the app itself isn't available to download for free, though it's avaliable for registered users of MadMapper with no charge. I've managed to find osx version (asked a couple dozens of payed customers and few of them answered) and ran it on virtual machine just to test it out and make screenshots.
I'll find out tomorrow, if Windows version even exist and will try to create working midi<>osc bridge, if it does.

The info about MadRouter is at the bottom of this page. I also have a short manual for it in PDF format.

UPD. No Windows version at all. Only osx.

Last edited by fundorin; 10-24-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:26 PM   #229
lajibe

Quote:
Ok, sends...

I think that the possibility to have sends, with feedback, on the fader (or rotary encoder) is a great things. Really useful if you need to adjust separate headphones mix for musician for exemple (in this case the possibility to have all the send of the active track on motor fader by only pressing a button would be really useful). Or it is also important in a mix, if you want to quickly automate some effect sends. I read a lot of people searching how to do it with reaper, but the lack of midi feedback made it complicated.
lajibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:43 AM   #230
fundorin
Banned

Hi, Geoff. Any news?
Old 11-11-2017, 03:52 PM   #231
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Hi, Geoff. Any news?
Good timing !

Just today got the basics of FX maps working, Sends are next.

After that I think it will time to get the maps going, even though the whole solution is relatively incomplete, but, hey, that's what open source is, often released for alpha/beta way earlier than most other types of software
Old 11-12-2017, 04:36 PM   #232
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Good timing !
Good news, everyone! 😄

I'm more interested in variety of controllers to be supported from the start, rather than plugin maps, but, hey, all that you do is good.
Wish I could support you, but, I'm currently poor as a church mouse. 🐀
Old 11-12-2017, 10:49 PM   #233
mschnell

This might help creating some advanced OSC stuff, at least it does for me
-> https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...21&postcount=7

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 11-12-2017 at 10:56 PM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:27 PM   #234
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post

-Michael
No, it won't. At least, for me.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:03 AM   #235
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post

-Michael
Thanks, yeah, been following that thread, all looks good.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:33 AM   #236
Geoff Waddington

FYI progress update:

The concepts that will make up the first release have now been successfully tested.

Now refactoring starts, you can think of it as code cleanup, it's arduous and tedious and totally worth it

After this comes a final decision on file format and the 1st release will soon follow.

Take note that there will be NO GUI in the 1st release, manual editing of a text file will be necessary, although I will attempt to provide reasonable starting points for "the usual suspects".

Timeframe: sometime next year (hopefully early next year).
Old 11-22-2017, 07:32 AM   #237
nofish

Thanks for keeping us updated Geoff.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:48 AM   #238
ivansc

Love how this is just steadily bubbling away under the surface, Geoff.

I am a patient man and happy to wait for 2what i KNWO IS EVENTUALLY GOING TO BE SOME REALLY EXCELLENT CODE AND A GREAT END PRODUCT.

p.s. cOULD YOU ALSO SET YOUR MIND TO COMING up with a little subroutine for the forum that notices when I have accidentally turned my capslock on and notifies me?
Old 11-23-2017, 04:42 AM   #239
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Love how this is just steadily bubbling away under the surface, Geoff.

I am a patient man and happy to wait for 2what i KNWO IS EVENTUALLY GOING TO BE SOME REALLY EXCELLENT CODE AND A GREAT END PRODUCT.

p.s. cOULD YOU ALSO SET YOUR MIND TO COMING up with a little subroutine for the forum that notices when I have accidentally turned my capslock on and notifies me?
Old 11-23-2017, 07:32 AM   #240
_Stevie_

Has anyone tried to make this work with the Steinberg CMC series?
In particular the CMC-CH and the CMC-QC?
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote