Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-28-2020, 08:49 AM   #1
CrankyChris
Human being with feelings

Default Thinking about getting a small analog console.....

I'm thinking about buying a used API The Box or something at similar price point to enable a hybrid approach. Since I do a lot of singer/songwriter stuff, I only occasionally record > 12-16 channels simultaneiously. I figure I can get a lot of analog goodness going in. Also, something like a Box has a lot of utility I need anyway (master/monitor control section, pre-amps, summing...)

But am I crazy? It's what I <i>want</i> to do, and I actually have the budget to "go big". If I wanted to go console crazy, I could go up to $20k. But for...lets say $10k, I could make everything else in my studio top of the line. I could get a b3/c3/a100 or new Nord, a pair of schoeps SDCs, a U47 or some ATC monitors for that kind of coin.

I would appreciate your thoughts and/or advice? Especially from those who have or have had a hybrid analog setup.

Gracias!
CrankyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:42 AM   #2
DVDdoug

In your price range you should be able to get a mixer that doubles as a multi-tracking interface. (There are lots of mixers with stereo USB outputs.)

I believe Presonus makes mixers that also work as an interface or control surface.

Quote:
I figure I can get a lot of analog goodness going in.
Whatever that means... If you get audible analog distortion every analog device will be different and you may, or may not, like that particular distortion.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:09 AM   #3
cremationritual

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyChris View Post
I'm thinking about buying a used API The Box or something at similar price point to enable a hybrid approach. Since I do a lot of singer/songwriter stuff, I only occasionally record > 12-16 channels simultaneiously. I figure I can get a lot of analog goodness going in. Also, something like a Box has a lot of utility I need anyway (master/monitor control section, pre-amps, summing...)

But am I crazy? It's what I <i>want</i> to do, and I actually have the budget to "go big". If I wanted to go console crazy, I could go up to $20k. But for...lets say $10k, I could make everything else in my studio top of the line. I could get a b3/c3/a100 or new Nord, a pair of schoeps SDCs, a U47 or some ATC monitors for that kind of coin.

I would appreciate your thoughts and/or advice? Especially from those who have or have had a hybrid analog setup.

Gracias!
There are TONS of very good plugins that emulate analog distortion, such as Fab Filter saturn and waves saturator. You can also get two 500 unit preamps like API or BAE 1073's and drive the mix bus with those. I dont see the point in wasting space on a desk with a console when you can fill that space up with rack gear which also imparts analog saturation. This is my setup below.
fast image hosting
Old 03-28-2020, 02:19 PM   #4
Philbo King

I use a late 80s RAMSA mix console, a WR1242 (made by panasonic) that feeds my interface. Got it used for $300. 12 in, 4 submix buses, 2 output buses.

I wouldn't consider going without one; just having faders to pull down when something goes super loud by accident is worth it.

It gives me 12 extremely clean and transparent preamps with direct outs and inserts, and 6 output buses.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:56 PM   #5
CrankyChris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremationritual View Post
There are TONS of very good plugins that emulate analog distortion, such as Fab Filter saturn and waves saturator. You can also get two 500 unit preamps like API or BAE 1073's and drive the mix bus with those. I dont see the point in wasting space on a desk with a console when you can fill that space up with rack gear which also imparts analog saturation. This is my setup below.
fast image hosting
Very nice. Do you have a patch bay? How do you route to your signal processing?
CrankyChris is offline   Reply With Quote