Old 05-09-2014, 10:34 AM   #121
ReaperMadness
Human being with feelings

One comment (and I'm just a bystander, so take it or leave it):

All of the real VU's I "own" - on my reel to reel decks, etc. - are not stark white. Rather they are a pale, mellow, warmish yellowish/beige.

Not a criticism; just an observation.

Keep up the great graphics.

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:14 AM   #122
GregHolmes

My understanding of the 3D issue is that each meter in a row of meters would be slightly different. As Banned said, the light and camera stay in the same place, so the shadows on each meter would be different.

One way to do that without a lot of 3D hassle is to animate the shadow of the needle as if it were a twin to the real needle, but offset visually. In other words, the shadow is a fuzzy faint needle with the same number of frames, but it has a rotate origin that is offset down and to the side of the real needle, and is drawn "under" - before the real needle.

For each meter in the row of meters, the shadow origin would shift, and could be calculated from the audio channel number. This way, a multi-channel meter display would automatically draw appropriate shadows according to how many meters are shown. The shadow of the first needle would be to the left of the real needle, but by the 16th meter it might be to the right.

You would do the same with the shadow of the bezel surround.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:32 PM   #123
4x4uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
OK... I [for one] am liking this:

changes are:
1-the CLIP LED is now on the "VU" that is part of the white face, you see it RED [ON] here in the top meter and OFF in the bottom meter.

2-the designation for Left and Right is now a very [IMO] subtle L and R on the bottom left of the black frame... barely visible but it is there.

3- the name of the logo text near the needle is now Vu Du
....hahaha 'by golly, Less IS More!'

4- the Screw is the one from a knobman png stack... and is intended to turn as a ref control.
...my thought is that the read out number for that ref, could go right on the white face, nice and small, in the same light gray as the other white face texts, and could be
nicely located just above the right side silver screw, just above the small text at the right of that screw.

[IMG]http://imagizer.**************/v2/xq90/835/6hq5.png[/IMG]
looks fabulous in my opnion
4x4uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:56 PM   #124
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHolmes View Post
My understanding of the 3D issue is that each meter in a row of meters would be slightly different. As Banned said, the light and camera stay in the same place, so the shadows on each meter would be different.

One way to do that without a lot of 3D hassle is to animate the shadow of the needle as if it were a twin to the real needle, but offset visually. In other words, the shadow is a fuzzy faint needle with the same number of frames, but it has a rotate origin that is offset down and to the side of the real needle, and is drawn "under" - before the real needle.

For each meter in the row of meters, the shadow origin would shift, and could be calculated from the audio channel number. This way, a multi-channel meter display would automatically draw appropriate shadows according to how many meters are shown. The shadow of the first needle would be to the left of the real needle, but by the 16th meter it might be to the right.

You would do the same with the shadow of the bezel surround.
right and understood thanks much...
however, the coder is not planing afaik to:
make a meter bridge in that manner... in other words he needs I think, a single instance of the 'meter' that can then be told to repeat itself x number of time.

and also for the needle and shadow, the point of having him code the needle movement is so that it does not use a png stack.

IMO, at some point for a little project like this, good enuff is good enuff...

I do appreciate how much more realistic a 3D render can look however.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #125
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMadness View Post
One comment (and I'm just a bystander, so take it or leave it):

All of the real VU's I "own" - on my reel to reel decks, etc. - are not stark white. Rather they are a pale, mellow, warmish yellowish/beige.

Not a criticism; just an observation.

Keep up the great graphics.
yes for many that is true, but not for the ones that are the real ones for this... you can find many examples with a google image search.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:25 PM   #126
d.bop

Quote:
make a meter bridge in that manner... in other words he needs I think, a single instance of the 'meter' that can then be told to repeat itself x number of time.

and also for the needle and shadow, the point of having him code the needle movement is so that it does not use a png stack.

I do appreciate how much more realistic a 3D render can look however.
What I plan on doing is either having a +/- button to add/remove meters, or have them automatically added/removed depending on the amount of channels in the current track. In either case, the plugin window's width will grow/shrink to the right and each meter will be duplicated. No fancy 3D effects (and besides, the meter's accuracy would decrease the further the meter was from the camera..)

As for the needle itself, I typically use a single image with a slight drop shadow baked in (centered). The image is then rotated based on the audio level. BUT if you guys want a more realistic drop shadow, I'll try to work it in

Also, the algorithm for the VU ballistics will be the same one found in the Sleepy-Time meters (which isn't anything too fancy, honestly..)

I'll try to get a working prototype done this weekend!
Old 05-09-2014, 01:39 PM   #127
jpanderson80

I changed consoles and I REALLY miss my VU meters.

Great job working on this! Keep it up!
Old 05-09-2014, 01:42 PM   #128
hopi

thanks for that 'how you work' layout d.bop... sounds fine to me.

I will send you a fresh package of graphics later today since a few things have changed... in fact, just toss that last one I emailed please!

The screw, that will be the adjustment for the ref number...

I have just redone the png stack for that but we should talk about it in email.

thanks again
Old 05-09-2014, 03:47 PM   #129
babiuk

@hopi

Nice lessISmore name, yes!
About VUDU clips I find it is a good idea for simplicity but I see when red they are too visible being two VU candles. Red point on botton frame was better for me, as it was
the L and R turning red on white upper left corner(well, being my choice M, not L or R). And ref number on white text is superb, yes!
Could you use the bg grey R:161,G:156, B:147 for a good fitting into my theme?
Thanks!

@d.bop

I don't care about needle shadow, it's a nice detail but I think it is not a must, it would spend you more time.
Your ballistics will be fine, thanks. The option for adding/delete meters is OK. Will it be possible to select between two choices(stereo(stacked and labelled L and R) and mono(just one row and no label))? Other choice is trying to learn code if you upload it for being able to alter these things.
babiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:07 PM   #130
hopi

I made the background you called for and just sent it to d.bop.
[I can't say I love the color... too warm for me, but whatever]

Ummmm about the red VU indicating CLIP... I think I like that better than any other method... and after all, you only see the red IF you have a clip... right? Otherwise it is normal text gray.

I don't know what the M is about??? Is that meant to stand for 'mono'? If that is the idea... you don't need any letter do you?... if you only see mono [one meter] you already know it is mono.

I think d.bop's idea of + to add more meter faces is great.
Maybe he could just put a + and - function in the code, and make the clk point for + the right hand silver screw and for - the left hand silver screw?

IF a version is going to show stereo meters, IMO you want a L and a R ... don't ya?

I've not posted the image, but I have yet again improve the big black screw...

Last edited by hopi; 05-09-2014 at 05:27 PM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:29 AM   #131
babiuk

Clip keeping red when it happens is useful for me too, otherwise you must be stuck on meter.

And perfect idea using little screws for + and - faces, smart dress style.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:40 AM   #132
babiuk

so we're going for the VU lighting red when clip, ok, I must recognise the idea is perfect and minimal, but I still see too lights when red, so I had another idea: what about lightning just one VU? it still is elegant but it is more minimal and it still is not screaming(the two red VUs, being distant each other, make a big red area, it is a bigger warning). I do prefer subtle warning but anyway the idea is yours and I will find OK whatever you choose.

And thanks a million for all the work you both are doing and the time spent, you guys are so kind polite.

Gracias!
Old 05-10-2014, 12:52 AM   #133
4x4uk

just a suggestion with regards the the L/R labels and babiuk predominantly metering mono tracks. what if the labels were user configerable. L/R by default but right clicking allows the user to alter the text or remove the text. so you could have l/r a track number or a short track name.

Obviously this means its going to use some default text font rather than being part of the graphic
Old 05-10-2014, 10:07 AM   #134
GregHolmes

Quote:

Agreed, but what I mentioned was exactly for what you say: Code for one rotating needle, not a PNG stack. The "trick" is simply to have a separate shadow. One meter, repeating as desired, using the repeat count to determine the visual offset of the shadow. That's how I would code it, because I enjoy lateral thinking! :-)
Old 05-10-2014, 07:01 PM   #135
hopi

Greg, ...ok I see... well actually I don't cuz I'm not the programmer... and I am not a programmer. I'm a pixel pusher and audio stuff user...

This really is not 'my' project... I'm just a helper, ya know?

However I am hearing you and would certainly welcome some 'show and tell' from you.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:36 AM   #136
d.bop

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHolmes View Post
Agreed, but what I mentioned was exactly for what you say: Code for one rotating needle, not a PNG stack. The "trick" is simply to have a separate shadow. One meter, repeating as desired, using the repeat count to determine the visual offset of the shadow. That's how I would code it, because I enjoy lateral thinking! :-)
And this is exactly what the code is doing. Although, we won't be going for a realistic 3D perspective for the needles when it comes to multiple inputs/meters.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:38 AM   #137
d.bop

Progress Report:
I have a (mostly) working prototype. Reference level, shadow, and needle are all programmed in. Just need to add a few more things then work towards final builds for the single track and multi-channel versions.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:53 AM   #138
hopi

gawd DAMNIT! IF that shadow isn't exactly perfect for all meters no matter it be 1 or 100 then the whole project is useless!!! And IF I move my head so the light source seems to come from a slightly diff perspective, I want the shadows and hi lites to darn well adjust to my eye!!!

hahaha JUST kidding! remain calm.

thanks for the news d.bop... I'm watching emails today to see what more I can supply you with. Don't be shy, I'm here for it.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #139
ReaperMadness

Quote:
gawd DAMNIT! IF that shadow isn't exactly perfect for all meters no matter it be 1 or 100 then the whole project is useless!!! And IF I move my head so the light source seems to come from a slightly diff perspective, I want the shadows and hi lites to darn well adjust to my eye!!!
You had me goin' there for a minute.

Having said that, I would like to commend you two for the unbelieveable level of patience you exhibit daily, w/ all these suggestions flying at you from every direction. I would have lost it a long time ago...

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #140
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMadness View Post
You had me goin' there for a minute.

Having said that, I would like to commend you two for the unbelieveable level of patience you exhibit daily, w/ all these suggestions flying at you from every direction. I would have lost it a long time ago...
I have lost it a long time ago... WAY before this little fun...hahaha like about 20 yrs before...

won't go into the gory details but my motto became, "Don't get mad, get odd"...
Old 05-11-2014, 02:19 PM   #141
babiuk

Thanks for so great news, d.bop!
I am so exicted about it.
This tool will be very popular, I am sure.

d.bop and hopi, thanks again
Old 05-11-2014, 02:36 PM   #142
Lucian

I started with Reaper 2.5 and since then I think this topic of meters has come up three times or so in the past to eventually putter out due to something with the tech not quite mature enough. So, just out of curiosity, what has changed? I am guessing some third party dev tool got updated? Or is it just brilliant coding innovation with sheer will and determination?

Regardless, this is awesomely cool. On another note, Odd is nice but I think eccentric works better as a chick magnet because eccentric = independently wealthy where as odd....."Well, there was always something odd about that boy."
Old 05-11-2014, 02:48 PM   #143
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
I started with Reaper 2.5 and since then I think this topic of meters has come up three times or so in the past to eventually putter out due to something with the tech not quite mature enough. So, just out of curiosity, what has changed? I am guessing some third party dev tool got updated? Or is it just brilliant coding innovation with sheer will and determination?

Regardless, this is awesomely cool. On another note, Odd is nice but I think eccentric works better as a chick magnet because eccentric = independently wealthy where as odd....."Well, there was always something odd about that boy."
nothing has changed... except the names to protect the guilty...hahaha

we are just gonna do it anyway for whatever it's worth...
I think what you are referring to is meters in the themes... but this is not that... it's a vst plugin, with vintage vibes

Now about that 'odd' thing... you see, maybe we are not both versed in the same cliche of language, but in USA-ish, there is a saying, "Don't get mad, get even" ...so ya see what I did there? It's a groaner of a bad joke which is just my cup of coffee... you see? "Don't get mad, get Odd" ...now that oughta be eccentric enuff for ya, yes? Or at least Cone Centric enuff...

Ever on... d.bop is doing great work... a bit more careful work and I expect it will go live!
Old 05-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #144
babiuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
I started with Reaper 2.5 and since then I think this topic of meters has come up three times or so in the past to eventually putter out due to something with the tech not quite mature enough. So, just out of curiosity, what has changed? I am guessing some third party dev tool got updated?
I know there were topics for this kind of meters in the past but anything ended in a great way, just reapVU was the one, and it's ok but I find it too small not fitting on my own tastes. That is why I opened the thread and hopi and d.bop were sooooo polite to lend a hand and go for it. By the way, d.bop is the builder of great wellknown plugins so it is a real honour having him here. Hopi is a graphic master and he is getting the coolest face meter.

About why now and not then, I think it is not any new tool or updates it's just the point of doing it, maybe then it was not taken so seriously or there was no good developers who did appear to help. We are lucky to have d.bop who came to help, that's all
Old 05-12-2014, 09:02 AM   #145
d.bop

Progress Report:
Single meter is pretty much done. Just cleaning up some nitpicky things

Once this first one is complete, I'll be using it as a base for the multi-channel version.

We're getting there!

*back to my day job.*
Old 05-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #146
4x4uk

awesome work d.bop

looking forwrd to checing out the meters
Old 05-12-2014, 02:24 PM   #147
babiuk

Ok, d.bop, nice to know that progress, take your time and thanks again!
Old 05-12-2014, 04:42 PM   #148
hopi

we should call this one Meet Her and Greet Her...

d.bop is doing lovely work IMO.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:45 PM   #149
JHughes
Banned

Just wanna say, running d.bop's meter next to klanghelm's I see no difference in ballistics. Now compare the price difference.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:06 PM   #150
hopi

Mr. Huges.... yeah man

d.bop is da man! IMO, quite the good one!

so not to knock Mr. Klanghelm either... he certainly creates great things for the audio world.

people gotta make a living... durn it ...we all know that, yet there is this krazy reaper spirit that just seems to keep growing in spite of the rest of the 'normal' world...
Old 05-12-2014, 08:31 PM   #151
JHughes
Banned

Indeed!

And now with this spirit in abundance, it's important to identify what's most lacking in the free/donationware arena.

It's obvious that metering and perhaps some signal visualization is lacking if you're short on cash. If you want the coolest, and most importantly, relevant stuff, you will have to pay. See the plenty of threads on ITU, EBU, RMS, Katz, etc etc.

The VU Meter is an excellent, well focused, missing and needed starting point.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:38 PM   #152
planetnine

Try Toneboosters for EBU metering. Not freeware, but the demo works and Jeroen's prices are very reasonable...

>
Old 05-14-2014, 02:05 PM   #153
d.bop

Just checking in.

I was hoping to be able to work on this during the week, but it looks like this is going to have to be a weekend project. Sorry for the wait!
Old 05-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #154
babiuk

No need for hurry, d.bop, it is ok whenever you do it.
I thank you anyway the time you spend on this.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:05 PM   #155
hopi

hey d.bop.... I love it when people do that.. just stay in touch even if there is nothing much to say atm.

[does atm stand for All Terrain Money? ]

we are with ya... life does that and no one expects you too rush on account of a vst, eh?

or ... as I like to say, "I'll be like a pygmy at the doctor's office"

wtf?

....a little patient....
Old 06-25-2014, 09:36 AM   #156
jpanderson80

Has this project come to a grinding halt or did people just get too busy?
Old 06-25-2014, 10:04 AM   #157
babiuk

I think it is a busy thing, they are so kind to help on this but this is not a high priority project so they will do it when they have time enough.
Anyway I re-thank hopi and d.bop for their efforts
Old 06-25-2014, 10:07 AM   #158
d.bop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpanderson80 View Post
Has this project come to a grinding halt or did people just get too busy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by babiuk View Post
I think it is a busy thing, they are so kind to help on this but this is not a high priority project so they will do it when they have time enough.
Anyway I re-thank hopi and d.bop for their efforts
Meters are just going through some final testing now. I only have Saturdays to work on this project, but we're at the final stages!
Old 06-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #159
jpanderson80

Oh wow! Well I look forward to seeing the final product. I've enjoyed following this thread and learning some things along the way. I'm not a programmer, so much of the discussion was new to me.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:56 PM   #160
hopi

lemme tease yer selves...

I"ve been in on the testing and you will be amazed at the good work d.bop has done... just be like the pygmy at the doctor's office ...

" a little patient ".... hahaha it IS coming soon.