Old 09-08-2019, 08:03 PM   #1
Tone Ranger
Human being with feelings

Default Automation levels - what's going on??

Hi there all!!

Pretty new to Reaper here, ex Pro Tools guy. Loving things so far, really enjoy working in Reaper - much more so than I did Pro Tools. I'm still getting my head around some of the differences though - and this one is puzzling me.

In the screen shot below, you'll see a track I added an automation item to for volume. I'm in touch mode (I have a Faderport 16 attached, in case that affects anything). Even though my 'actual' volume setting is -20 in the non-automation item part of the song, the green line is very low, and difficult to adjust by hand because it seems to be compacted at the bottom of the automation lane, not relative to the actual volume. There's a white line about half way up, I have no idea what that signifies (it disappears if I change automation modes), but I'm guessing it may be the actual fader level on my Faderport (which is at 0, should it not be at -20?).

What's going on here? Is there a way to make the automation lane reset so -20 is in it's proper relative spot in the automation lane, and when I put the track in touch mode the fader on my Faderport is at the proper level of -20 (not 0, which I'd expect to see in trim/read mode not touch mode)?

Hope this all makes sense! Thanks in advance for any insight here!!

Tone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:10 PM   #2
Tone Ranger

I just realized that the fader on my Faderport will drop to -20 if I arm the automation lane.....so solved that part of things. LOL

Would love to know how to get the automation lane to better represent the actual volume, not have it all compacted at the bottom like that. It really makes manually automating parts with the mouse difficult, with only a slight movement of the mouse causing the volume to jump by over 10 dB! LOL
Old 09-17-2019, 10:57 AM   #3
krayziemario

Hey! Welcome to Reaper

If you right-click the lane and pick "Envelope Defaults > Volume Envelope: Fader Scaling" the envelope will act/look like a fader.

Also the SWS extension has actions that can cycle on/off fine control of moving segments or points, so if you need that surgical precision just map those to a shortcut and you're good to go! (I have a custom action that turns on fine control for both points and segments, and another that turns them back off)
krayziemario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:10 AM   #4
Tone Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayziemario View Post
Hey! Welcome to Reaper

If you right-click the lane and pick "Envelope Defaults > Volume Envelope: Fader Scaling" the envelope will act/look like a fader.

Also the SWS extension has actions that can cycle on/off fine control of moving segments or points, so if you need that surgical precision just map those to a shortcut and you're good to go! (I have a custom action that turns on fine control for both points and segments, and another that turns them back off)
@krayziemario - thanks very much man!! the 'fader scaling' was exactly what I was looking for - I found the preference to make it default that way from now on.

Much appreciated!