Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 08-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #81
Boray
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
What's there to deal with? just install MSE or virus protection of your choice and you're done.
That is probably it. Well good news then: Windows 8 comes with MSE built into Windows Defender.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #82
tal4jesus

Default My simple truth.....

For me, I started out on PC's. I did everything wrong that I could do.....you name it.I knew about analouge recording, but digital was very new to me. If you don't know what you are doing, you can really screw things up. Well, a friend gave me a ppc mac, and guess what?
It was just SO much more simple, to ME. The ONLY thing I miss about PC's is Sony Sound Forge, and I may get a PC just for that, or inastal windows as an alternative os on my new mac that I will be recieving this week. Truth be told, I can't really afford macs, but I just love them! That's my story!

Last edited by tal4jesus; 08-12-2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: mispelling
tal4jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:31 AM   #83
Boray

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
Mac vs PC discussions usually become like heated religious arguments. Just how it is.
This has however nothing at all to do with the actual computer systems discussed. It all has to do with how the human brain works. In the 80's it was Commodore vs Atari followed by Amiga vs PC. Now it's Mac vs PC but the discussions are just the same. If someone suggests the system of your choice is inferior compared to theirs, that will kind of be interpreted as: You are stupid and ignorant for not making the same choice I did. And you go: No I'm not. It's you who made the stupid choice. And there it is...
Old 08-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #84
serstickman

Started using PC's in Win 3.11 era. Stayed with them (used to build our own as well), till 2007. Lost too many hours of work to system crashes & Cakewalk memory leaks over the years. Finally bought a Macbook & haven't looked back. I've never lost an hour's worth of work using any of my macs. From Tiger thru Mountain Lion I've had rock solid service from my machines. I use Logic & Studio One most of the time. Experiment now & then with Reaper just cuz'.

My wife is a graphic artist who uses Windows 7 & Corel. She hasn't experienced an os crash yet with her HP. Now & then she loses some time to memory leaks in Corel but she's happy with what she uses.

These days the Mac vs PC argument reminds me of the old "Ford vs Chevy" arguments. It's about personal preference. Using a mac doesn't make me special. Just means I prefer Apple-made computers. Till I start having trouble with my Macs; losing hours of work from system crashes, I probably keep using Macs till I draw my last breath. YMMV.

Make music on whatever machine you feel best suits your needs. Enjoy it
Old 08-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #85
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boray View Post
10.6 is as old as Windows 7. Wow must be a huge difference... or not. And as if Windows hadn't been improved as well since the test was made?!
What's skewed there, is comparing a 64 bit OS to a 32 bit OS...

Besides, generally Windows feels brisker and will show better numbers in benchmarks. But who cares about running 110 compressors side-by-side.

If you see why Apple always preferred stability and ease of use over raw speed, you're glad to be able to use stuff like aggregated devices without spending a week configging.

Windows was conceived to be everything to everybody. Apple just designs appliances.
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #86
Kundalinguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsklaftsk123 View Post
Why is mac so popular in music/media industry? I mean, you can get the same specs on a pc for half the price. Im not hating on mac, i just wonder why.
Haven't read the earlier posts, but MAC was in the multimedia game first with Quark and all the magazine/advertising demographic. PC was IBM = accounting. That's why it began as a rather bland looking machine and software environment until it had to compete with what was being used on Mac at the time, Adobe, etc. Now that everything major is cross platform, mostly, there is little difference. However, there is a HUGE difference between buying a shitty monitor for a PC and the quality you get from Apple as stock. It's a more expensive technology that you have to pay a higher price to achieve on a PC (probably $700 +). Can't remember the tech specs on it.

The second reason Mac is so popular is because a lot of people heard I was using one in the 90's. Things just took off from there, as did the Apple stock prices.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:53 AM   #87
BobM

Funny, only a few years ago it was Bill Gate's Windows that was the evil empire.

How times change..

And still lovin' my MacBook.
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #88
BorsingPhoto

Default Back when it started

I'm glad I came back to the PC platform -- despite my Mac friends who all said that once I'd got used to a Mac I'd never go back to a PC.

Just goes to show how wrong people can be.[/QUOTE]

I would never invest in a Mac. As I remember how "corny" apple was back when it all started, you couldn't even get a utility to defrag your SCSI HD's. Because I use my PC workstation for all my Media production and have successfully managed my systems for decades I'd just be swapping one set of problems for a whole bunch of others...
Old 10-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #89
danfuerth

Look read your facts and timeline I do not diss on FreeBSD ( what apple calls os X).

1st thing is Apple ditched their own OS back in OS9 with the move to FREEBSD based UNIX and thus pissing off many developers

2nd Apple switched again to Intel in 2006-2007

Apple had a big number of the Studio work from 2000-2007, as it was a common machine in the studios due to apple buying out key critical studio applications ( aka Logic and Nothing Real Shake) and then forcing users to switch to the mac since they would kill off the other OS's support.

See the big developers always liked apple for one thing only- The MAC IS THE DONGLE!! that is why they invested so much money and time on the Mac it was due to piracy. You could crack or copy their apps but you would have to then buy a machine that cost well over $2000, so that was an expensive dongle.

When Apple sold off Pixar back to disney that was a key telling of them going somwhere else, PHONES and portable Gadgets.

Apple stop caring about the MAC, as they only used the MAC now so you can use your "I" Devices. Recently you seen where Apple was going with the FINAL CUT X release being released WITHOUT the STUDIO features!!!!. Obviously they do not care if studios have switched back to PC workstations again with Avid Media Composer and Premiere PRO CS6 mercury walking all over Final Cut now.

You see Apple changed it's name to APPLE inc.

Even Motu of all companies has come to release their stupit mistake of supporting only one platform, it comes back to bite you in the ass. Motu caved in and has put Digital Performer on the PC with DP v8.0

Mac users better wake up to the reality... Your company is now a cell phone and small gadget company, and not really interested in computers. I mean for the price of an IPHONE 5 you can almost buy 2 laptops these days.

Apple does what they want, they do not give a crap if tomorrow they licence MAC OS X to all PC users ( since they can since MAC OS X is not even theirs anyway it's just a FREEBSD distro with Darwin OS ( old NEXTSTEP )mixed in.

Many high end apps these days do not even get coded for the mac anymore, it's a year later that they show up on the mac. With Apple always changing the OS with small updates and killing compatibilities, is it any wonder that high end CAD, video and compositing, graphics runs much better on the PC with Windows an not on the MAC PC's.

Apple does switches all the time and piss everyone off, You can not piss off developers as soon enough you will not have any apps

Well I can guarantee that Apple will indeed GNU the Darwin portions in their FREEBSD distro (OS X)

The MAC reign ended with the switch to INTEL. A mac is just a locked down PC now.
danfuerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #90
timlloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfuerth View Post
A mac is just a locked down PC now.
Yeah, with really nice trackpads

But to be fair, one can still put Windows and Linux on A Mac if you wish. So 'the lockdown' is hardly as bad as all that ... for now ...
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #91
Boray

I think it's a bit funny when thinking of how Mac users in the old days claimed their hardware and OS was so superior, and today they are just running Unix on a PC clone.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #92
danfuerth

Well the issue here is competition, if apple is moving away from desktop computers and down the line even laptops what competition will there be?

As much as I do not like Apple's "SHOEHORN" approach to a Computer we need Apple to continue making Mac PRO's. If they don't then we will not be moving forward in hardware. Example look at processors, instead of giving us more speed and power we get Cores WTF for? There is really not that many Apps out there that can actually do something usefull with those cores, it's not like the cores are going to make your latency go away as that again falls back on pushing hardware limits forward.

We need to push CPU power forward, as no speed pushing has been done since the Pentium 4 days when they hit the 3 gigz mark.

All this Core crap is just pathetic. GIVE US MORE SPEED!!
Old 10-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #93
airon

Relax. Every architecture jump (the tick of the tick-tock cycle) gets you quite a good speed jump.

My three year old i7 920 is probably only 50-60% of the i7 I can buy today for the same money. There's still progress and it does not appear to be horrifyingly small either.

Then again, AMD are really hurting. Hope they stay put to keep the pressure on.

Hope Apple makes good new workstation machines as well, or it'll be Windows PCs for many pros.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:57 AM   #94
Cosmic

Macs are really for left handed people.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:14 AM   #95
airon

Macs do it left-handed.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #96
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Relax. Every architecture jump (the tick of the tick-tock cycle) gets you quite a good speed jump.
. Dan's a really swell guy but I wouldn't put too much stock in his Apple rants.

Remember, he was the guy who said Apple had already bought MOTU, to expect the announcement, and that there would be no DP on Windows because of some theory related to all that and desktop Macs.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #97
Banned

Cocoa is awesome. I just wish Cockos would also learn how to use it.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #98
gwok

- lolz - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf5-Prx19ZM
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #99
CaptainHook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
I'm left handed and i DO like Macs. :P
However, since building my first hackintosh a few months ago i don't think i'd go back. I still get to use OSX which i love, but i'm much more free to chose my components and upgrade as i need/want.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #100
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
Cor.. Patronising or what!?
No kidding.

I have spent the last 20 years of my life working with every high end advanced server platform you can name. I have more technical expertise than most people can stand to be around. I have worked on systems where failure meant someone could die, and where success meant a lot of people would die. I am a classic technology geek that goes way beyond the "I was an administrator at my college's computer lab."

I use Macs. Want to know why?

Because Core Audio means I never have to install drivers or wonder if driver X is compatible with system update Y. Because it is based on BSD, so when I do need to do something bizzare, I can drop to a real shell and access bash, Perl, awk, sed, and all my other favorite tools without having to deal with cygwin or dual boot or some other bolt on hack that simulates the same thing. It means that most installs are simply dragging a statically linked binary into an apps folder and being done with it. It means I get a highly polished, professional interface all the time.

I want tools to do the things I want to do, and Macs provide that better than any other platform out there. I use Macs because they *just work.*

Ego? Baloney. They're objectively superior.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #101
Boray

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil View Post
I have spent the last 20 years of my life working with every high end advanced server platform you can name. I have more technical expertise than most people can stand to be around. I have worked on systems where failure meant someone could die, and where success meant a lot of people would die. I am a classic technology geek that goes way beyond the "I was an administrator at my college's computer lab."
Ok... But the big question is... Are you left handed?
Old 10-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #102
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Ok... But the big question is... Are you left handed?
I write right, and bat switch.

Does that count?
Old 10-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #103
Jae.Thomas

Quote:

Because Core Audio means I never have to install drivers or wonder if driver X is compatible with system update Y.
strange, I've never had a system update create incompatibility with an audio driver...
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #104
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
strange, I've never had a system update create incompatibility with an audio driver...
Well I have. It's particularly bad for major version upgrades. And I've had to install various drivers for every single USB attachment I've ever picked up for my Win boxes as if the "U" in USB stood for something other than "Universal."

Core Audio has been plug and play for everything, without exception. In the time it used to take me to "install drivers" and ensure I've got the right patch level on my Windows machines, I'm recording and making music on the Mac.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #105
Jae.Thomas

very strange. I always found it pretty awesome that I just plug things in and they work... of course this can depend on the vendor at times. Maybe I've just been lucky. Patch level? I don't even know what that is. Windows user since 1999.

I did have to install a driver for my firepod. it took a minute. I guess that minute could have been spent writing my latest rock opus... oh well.

Oh and yes, I have seen older devices become incompatible moving from say, windows 98 to XP, or XP to win 7 - but I have also seen software and devices go absolutely crazy with mac updates too. Is there really much of a difference? Interesting seeing all of the mountain lion update hate threads. I am sure they will work stuff out - just sayin'. I have worked in studios with macs and my own with windows, and have not seen a real difference except for whatever the person is used to doing previously
Old 10-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #106
jerome_oneil

I haven't upgraded to Mountain Lion yet, and probably won't. I did muck about with it at the store once, and wasn't impressed. It's pretty bloated, and that is what surrounds most of the complaints I've seen.

It also does away with Front Row, and I loved Front Row because I dig movie trailers.

My larger point is, anyone that says "Mac users are just suckers for marketing and stroking their ego" hasn't met me and probably doesn't know as much about technology as they think they do. And I'm willing to compare resumes with anyone.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #107
Boray

Quote:
I did have to install a driver for my firepod. it took a minute. I guess that minute could have been spent writing my latest rock opus... oh well.
Maybe that minute was worth not spending 2-5 times as much money for the computer.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #108
Jae.Thomas

Quote:

My larger point is, anyone that says "Mac users are just suckers for marketing and stroking their ego" hasn't met me and probably doesn't know as much about technology as they think they do. And I'm willing to compare resumes with anyone.
well, that's interesting and all but I certainly agree about the "just suckers" statement - I think it really is a few other factors. I certainly wouldn't paint with such a broad brush!
Old 10-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #109
jerome_oneil

Quote:
well, that's interesting and all but I certainly agree about the "just suckers" statement - I think it really is a few other factors. I certainly wouldn't paint with such a broad brush!
I'll just leave it at "Windows is for people that don't know squat about technology and like to use inferior platforms to learn."
Old 10-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #110
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
I'll just leave it at "Windows is for people that don't know squat about technology and like to use inferior platforms to learn."
cool story bro
Old 10-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #111
Lawrence

Not to stick my beak in but "audio drivers" often give their audio hardware devices capabilities with the OS and software that only that driver provides, that no OS will ever do for that proprietary hardware, not even Core Audio.

Which is why people often install them.

If you ever see someone using (for example) ASIO DM without that mfg's ASIO driver installed, I'd sure the heck like to see it.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #112
BobM

Going back to the original post, "Why is Mac so Popular", posts like this carry a lot of weight for me.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...33#post1058133

Last edited by BobM; 10-25-2012 at 09:13 AM. Reason: changed url.
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:37 AM   #113
danfuerth

LOL Apple QUIT!! on their OS9 and had to switch to another OS get it they QUIT!! Going to a "already finished FREEBSD" was very lame

Apple pissed a lot of developers with that switch
Apple pissed a lot of developers with the Intel Switch

Apple bought many Applications and killed the other OS's versions YES including Linux!! and the later tossed them out into the trash bin

Even Motu of all people switched to the PC / Windows with Digital Performer 8

Apple is now Apple inc. they are a small portable device company this came out from Steve Jobs himself!! that means AXEY on the Computer AY

I am not a fan of Microsoft, I am a fan of having whatever application I want or can afford and BUY IT!! I do not give a crap if a company says "well that app is not availlable or try this inferior one"

Look at our entire life today it runs on Windows !!!. Where you work, the company that does payroll sends out your electronic payments via "Windows Apps" is received at the bank by "Windows" is then cashed out via "Windows" or from the teller who uses "Windows" which then you drive home in a car that was CMM measured and designed on "Windows with Catia D++ and other CMM Cad apps" which then you go home to a house designed on "Windows, Autocad and others "

Cad Apps- very few for Mac
High end Video- very few for mac ( final cut the only major one)
Graphics - from 2000 to 2006 yes Mac was heavily used, after Intel switch this is the reverse!!! since now all mac's are just locked down PC's
One critical app that made Avatar possible Speed Tree Cinema and special verions of Lightwave were PC / Windows only during the Movie development, in fact only now do we have those Apps available on the mac!!

The problem with Apple was the Intel switch, as soon as they did that every studio asked themselves: Why are paying Apple for a PC that is 3 times the price of a Dell or HP Z workstation?

In the final nail in the coffin was Final Cut X - removed the studio features, since apple wants to leave the Pro market, as there is more money in the little kids and teens market since they live at home!!!

I had an interesting visit to Pixar last year, since apple sold off their shares ( to have money to go into the phone business) to Disney, there is not many macs there now, it's all HP Z workstations, and I seen some Da Vinci Resolve workstations there as well ( about $50,000 each)

All the 3D applications are on Windows workstations, seen a lot of Media Composer workstations again Windows 7.

So the mac reign is over in multimedia, however Apple is telling a big FU to the pro market. Most of the Studios have switched over to Premiere pro (mercury) and Avid media Composer 6 after the Final Cut X Fiasco.

If apple get's in trouble now they will have a hard time coming back as the Pro users are not going to save their ass again as Microsoft did back many years ago.

think about it with the price of an Iphone I can almost buy 2 laptops these days, why would Apple want to keep the computer business LOL, there is no profit in anymore.

Pro users beware Apple is alienating you!!

For multimedia it's Windows 8 blowing everything out of the water now, why ? Because microsoft allowed me to actually have a part in Windows 8 and I contributed to it's services management . In windows 8 I can run a 12 year old application from XP all the way up to Windows 8, can your mac even attempt that with so many breaking up of applications from update to update?
Old 10-25-2012, 11:42 AM   #114
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfuerth View Post
Apple is now Apple inc. they are a small portable device company...
Small?

I'd like to see a big one, then.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #115
Boray

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Small?

I'd like to see a big one, then.
Small-portable-device company... maybe...?
Old 10-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #116
arpinity3024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hamm View Post
...They then went with a a Linux Based OS...
It's more appropriate to say that they went with a UNIX-based OS. If I know my history, Apple released an open source FreeBSD variant called Darwin, which was the major source of inspiration for OSX. The kernel for Darwin and OSX is not Linux, it is Darwin, and it's based on Mach.
arpinity3024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #117
cyrano

Quote:
Small-portable-device company... maybe...?
Do you know a bigger one?

HTC and Nokia are not dead yet, but they're starting to smell funny. And the rest? RIM, Motorola?

Only Samsung seems bigger than Apple, but not as a portable device company.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #118
Boray

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Do you know a bigger one?

HTC and Nokia are not dead yet, but they're starting to smell funny. And the rest? RIM, Motorola?

Only Samsung seems bigger than Apple, but not as a portable device company.
What I tried to say was that I though he ment a company producing small, portable devices. Not a small company producing portable devices.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #119
timlloyd

... and amphiboly strikes again ...
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #120
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
I am so left handed it ain't true - nary a Mac in THIS house, young man.
Cant afford them after buying the left handed scissors, pens, etc.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote