Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 12-05-2010, 04:52 AM   #1
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Default White Tie's WALTER theme experiment lab

Quickly now, before the peasant mob storms the castle, down into the dungeon where the failed and incomplete results of my experiments to breathe life into WALTER lie. I hide the dead flesh of these abominations down here, so that lessons of my failure be learned and that, perhaps, one day, I shall return again to bring my creatures to life. Mwahahaha etc.

Most of my experiments with Walter have taken the form of things like "red circle moving across green square" ...not very exciting, but I do have a number of bits an pieces where I did throw in some buttons and stuff to try styling ideas. Generally they have been abandoned because they were based on an idea that didn't work out or didn't continue to interest me. I'm going to nudge a few of them into a state where they can at least be looked at without causing nausea, and post here, starting with these two.

Note:

> None of this works. Its dead stuff, okay? <

> I reserve the right to be the first to use the elements from these themes, and maybe finish them one day. So please pick them apart and learn all you can, but don't take anything. I have hereby asked nicely. <

----------------------------------------------

WT_Static_Height
Theme File

Previously, in Reaper theming, we've been unable to do some things that are easily and commonly done in even very crappy hosts' UIs, such as using texture on panels or dB markings on faders ...because of the stretching. Walter gives us complete control over how much stretching goes on, and therefore we can define that no stretching goes on, and do all these things we've always wanted to.

I hereby predict this technique will be very popular with people copying other DAW's UIs. That's for you to decide I suppose; some bands only do cover versions, but I'd never join one However, doing original Reaper themes this way is a bit ...cheap, IMO... because you're dumping user flexibility (the stretching) in the cause of appearance. That's not to say I won't do it myself, from time to time, of course

This theme is some quick and dirty fixed height MCP stuff, with 2 reduced alternate layouts, and you can also amuse yourself by pointing and laughing at my crude attempts to draw a couple of Max style buttons.

WT_Swing
Theme File

Lots of TCP experiments in this one, and almost none of them worked out well To sum up:
  • Creating a fake TCP panel out of the elements themselves, instead of a panel image.
  • Using the 'fake panel' so the entire panel can appear to be offset as the folder depth increases.
  • Using the 'fake panel' to fix the apparent height of the panel to be no bigger than it needs to be when above a certain height. That worked, but making it meaningful when smaller ..er... didn't.

WT_Imperial

DOWNLOAD THEME FILE

So named because it wants to take over all your screen space.

Last night I did a bit of a sketch of this MCP, so today instead of doing any real work I've built it. Repeat; this is one day's work, so please feel free to expect vast amounts of casual half-thought-through-ness. And just the mixer.

This is something I've been looking forward to trying : WALTER plus overlay hacking. Have a good poke about in there to see what I've done; lots of bright glows on LEDs that stand away from a button, but thus respond to its state. Conclusion: The predictability of WALTER plus overlay hacking is an absolute license to be cool. Have a go!

I hereby bet you I could do k-metering on this. And I don't even know what it is. Anyway, maybe when next I get a chance to look at this I'll give it a go. Or, more fun, I might instead replace all my rough faders and buttons with nice 3D modelled ones. mmmm.

With all the lights on:

Last edited by White Tie; 12-08-2010 at 05:27 PM.
White Tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:02 AM   #2
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings

I'm actually loving the WT_Swing look on folders, and tracks have a very sensible (=similar to v3) positioning of buttons.

You should make it alive, it's IMHO better than v4 alpha default as it is now.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:02 AM   #3
karl

As my art teacher used to tell me when I thought I'd nearly completed what I was working on: Nice start
karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:05 AM   #4
Broman

Wow, nice.
Broman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:37 AM   #5
Eyes

My first reaction was to say wow outloud, looks awesome mate.

Now if someone made the PRV this pretty I'll won't be leaving my computer for a while...
Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:43 AM   #6
fuseburn

Can't bring anything more constructive to the table, but: Wow, great great great ! Excited for the things to come !
Old 12-05-2010, 05:43 AM   #7
j79

That mixer look really good...nice long meters/faders, and everything is quite clear. me like!
j79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:51 AM   #8
dub3000

wt_swing has some very nice ideas in it
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:13 AM   #9
musicbynumbers

Me too went wow, not only at the cool ideas but also at the potential!
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:22 AM   #10
xpander

Haha, just had to go Wow on both ones. I'm not worried anymore, beauties.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:39 AM   #11
BenK-msx

ooooh. nice, love those little pans on that mixer! ha.

i also like the 'you can't see anything else' feature, it focuses the mind.

its definately a mad dungeonesque lab with bubbling viles of coloured liquids!
Old 12-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #12
Pashkuli
Banned

White_Tie proves that he is a really good designer, no doubt 'bout that!

I have nothing to say. Walter just wants you all themers to climb the lurning curve. Walter is giving you freedom of choice.
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:35 AM   #13
run, megalodon

Yep, wow to both. I like the first one much more than the default theme. It has come true! Reaper is now a beautiful swan!

...Where's the smiley face that that shows that shows I don't actually talk like that in real life?
run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:38 AM   #14
Reflected

man...this is amazing.

speechless...
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:44 AM   #15
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by run, megalodon View Post
...Where's the smiley face that that shows that shows I don't actually talk like that in real life?
You can borrow one of mine, I got way too many!
Old 12-05-2010, 11:54 AM   #16
plamuk

you've got great style, man
i really like white/black/gray, with a couple extermely-visible-by-contrast colors...

please keep it up
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:05 PM   #17
Solar

Daaaaaaaaaaaamn it White Tie!!!

How do you do this!!! Ok this one to my opinion has to be Part of the Default Theme to be shipped with R4. Just forget it!!!

Loooooooooooooving it
Old 12-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #18
Solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I'm actually loving the WT_Swing look on folders, and tracks have a very sensible (=similar to v3) positioning of buttons.

You should make it alive, it's IMHO better than v4 alpha default as it is now.
So true.... please W.Tie, finish this theme, it's truly way better then the V4 alpha theme.

Cheers!
Old 12-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #19
AdamWathan

The static height mixer panels is an effing brilliant idea!!!

I love how when you resize them, you purely just gain sends and FX slots, no stretching. It keeps things nice, clean and consistent, and the size you have them there is a great workable size.

I would love a theme that did this sort of thing, sort of "forcing" standards for certain aspects. The backgrounds and stuff make it look so much nicer too.

WT, I love this experiment!
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #20
AdamWathan

The mix panels may look small even to some but compared to PT9, even though the panel is smaller the fader throw is still longer so it's even more usable, and "pros" mix all day long no problem using the non-stretchable mix panels in Pro Tools...

I love this so much WT, I really hope you decide to finish it one day!
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:05 PM   #21
Kundalinguist

re; WT_Swing

I think what creates the imbalance is that the larger/darker circles move to the right. If they were kept vertical with the smaller circles moving right to indicate folder depth, there would be more of a unified look, rather than the "free for all" look.

Just my opinion.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:26 PM   #22
SoulOne82

static_height is a killer! best theme EVARRRRR
SoulOne82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #23
Lawrence

So this one isn't done yet right? I downloaded and it has no TCP at all.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #24
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
So this one isn't done yet right? I downloaded and it has no TCP at all.
Me too.. Ouch!
Old 12-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #25
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Me too.. Ouch!
Wait... all of the theme colors are black. Maybe that's it?
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #26
jeffsanders

That does it. WT is officially the ONLY person who is allowed to create themes. Please let the ongoing shitstorm of ass user created themes end. Thank you.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #27
Tallisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsanders View Post
That does it. WT is officially the ONLY person who is allowed to create themes. Please let the ongoing shitstorm of ass user created themes end. Thank you.
a bit harsh no?

Yes whit tie is very good.

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:42 PM   #28
J3FFR3Y2692

White Tie is really good, but I mean some users here are REALLY TALENTED when it comes to themes
J3FFR3Y2692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:08 PM   #29
jhrv

Meh. Next!
jhrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:40 PM   #30
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
WT_Static_Height
Theme File

Previously, in Reaper theming, we've been unable to do some things that are easily and commonly done in even very crappy hosts' UIs, such as using texture on panels or dB markings on faders ...because of the stretching. Walter gives us complete control over how much stretching goes on, and therefore we can define that no stretching goes on, and do all these things we've always wanted to.

I hereby predict this technique will be very popular with people copying other DAW's UIs. That's for you to decide I suppose; some bands only do cover versions, but I'd never join one However, doing original Reaper themes this way is a bit ...cheap, IMO... because you're dumping user flexibility (the stretching) in the cause of appearance. That's not to say I won't do it myself, from time to time, of course

This theme is some quick and dirty fixed height MCP stuff, with 2 reduced alternate layouts, and you can also amuse yourself by pointing and laughing at my crude attempts to draw a couple of Max style buttons.
Some of the buttons work very well for me, some less so. The I/O button looks funny, but I could get used to that. When FX are on the track, it's not obvious enough that there are. Green perhaps?

The envelope buttons don't exist beyond the almost hidden little 'read' one we see here. Certainly a nice theme on an almost classic layout.

The monitoring button is easy to spot and is placed nice and close to the arming button. The layout's a little too classic for me, but a lot of folks would enjoy it I'd say.

Quote:
WT_Swing
Theme File

Lots of TCP experiments in this one, and almost none of them worked out well To sum up:
  • Creating a fake TCP panel out of the elements themselves, instead of a panel image.
  • Using the 'fake panel' so the entire panel can appear to be offset as the folder depth increases.
  • Using the 'fake panel' to fix the apparent height of the panel to be no bigger than it needs to be when above a certain height. That worked, but making it meaningful when smaller ..er... didn't.
Certainly the most interesting looking theme I ever saw. You do enjoy those track number highlights, and I must say they do look great up until track 9 . This one lacks some framing for all the other areas of the GUI. The arrangement could be garbed in a low contrast indentation bevel to cast it below the track panels.

I'd say this is an excellent recording theme, as the elements necessary for it stand out so well. If "Tint track panel backgrounds" is off, this look fabulous. It's missing elements but I'd find this panel helpful for recording.

Last edited by airon; 12-05-2010 at 10:46 PM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:24 AM   #31
east?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
The mix panels may look small even to some but compared to PT9, even though the panel is smaller the fader throw is still longer so it's even more usable, and "pros" mix all day long no problem using the non-stretchable mix panels in Pro Tools...

I love this so much WT, I really hope you decide to finish it one day!
Herein lies the rub - PT might use more space, but it uses that space effectively. The information PT conveys is done in a clear, logical and defined way - it is what makes the PT interface much more usable than anything Reaper has done so far.

There needs to be some unifying UI goals and thematic standards for Reaper to approach the usability of the other mainstream DAW's. The default UI in Reaper 3, 4 alpha or any of the mockups displayed still don't grasp the problem, nor the solution.
east? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:21 AM   #32
jhrv

Quote:
Originally Posted by east? View Post
Herein lies the rub - PT might use more space, but it uses that space effectively. The information PT conveys is done in a clear, logical and defined way - it is what makes the PT interface much more usable than anything Reaper has done so far.

There needs to be some unifying UI goals and thematic standards for Reaper to approach the usability of the other mainstream DAW's. The default UI in Reaper 3, 4 alpha or any of the mockups displayed still don't grasp the problem, nor the solution.
+1000!
jhrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:43 AM   #33
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Thanks all! Just to be clear, I'm posting these here so those getting into walter can pick them apart and maybe get some ideas. Picking apart the details of the design is like me nit-picking the drum sound on a Dictaphone demo you did to try out some chord progressions; a touch premature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by east? View Post
I'll try to take that for what its worth, but let me guess ...do you come to Reaper from PT? In preparation for the V4 work I sat down with an experienced Logic guy and an experienced PT guy and watched their workflow, and got them to talk me through some things and answer questions, and also to a less detailed and rigerous degree the same thing with a Cubase and an Ableton guy. It was all very informative, but I definitely came away with the impression that PT is the least well thought-through and efficient of those interfaces, that some things were the way they were I could only guess for legacy reasons, but as in all of them, a high level of operator experience outweighed all other factors.

Anyhoo, I'd be eager to have this discussion if we can boil it down to some objective experience-independent principles (not easy, but worth trying) and bring those lessons to bear on Reaper, but can we not do it in this thread please? We have some threads for feedback to the Theme Team and it would be great if you could join in the discussion there.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:04 AM   #34
pixeltarian

I pooped.

Quote:
Quickly now, before the peasant mob storms the castle, down into the dungeon where the failed and incomplete results of my experiments to breathe life into WALTER lie. I hide the dead flesh of these abominations down here, so that lessons of my failure be learned and that, perhaps, one day, I shall return again to bring my creatures to life. Mwahahaha etc.

Most of my experiments with Walter have taken the form of things like "red circle moving across green square" ...not very exciting, but I do have a number of bits an pieces where I did throw in some buttons and stuff to try styling ideas. Generally they have been abandoned because they were based on an idea that didn't work out or didn't continue to interest me. I'm going to nudge a few of them into a state where they can at least be looked at without causing nausea, and post here, starting with these two.

Note:

> None of this works. Its dead stuff, okay? <

> I reserve the right to be the first to use the elements from these themes, and maybe finish them one day. So please pick them apart and learn all you can, but don't take anything. I have hereby asked nicely. <

WT_Static_Height
Theme File

WT_Swing
Theme File

pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:55 AM   #35
thequietroom

All I can say is that Im very excited to see what R4 is going to look like. It is going to be so beautiful that our mix's should improve just from osmosis!
thequietroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:35 PM   #36
kindafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl View Post
As my art teacher used to tell me when I thought I'd nearly completed what I was working on: Nice start
LOL. I hear this about my mixes when I feel like they are ready for release...
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:29 PM   #37
BobM

WT Static Height is a beautiful job, but seems to work best with the Comp Monitor up full, whereas the PT has a lot of contrast at any level.
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:40 PM   #38
strunkdts

WT_Swing looks great!
strunkdts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:27 PM   #39
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Edit : added Imperial Mixer to post #1
Old 12-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #40
slops

Quote:
Edit : added Imperial Mixer to post #1
if that is just one day's work, i can't even imagine what the final product is going to look like.

amazing work as always...!!!
slops is offline   Reply With Quote