Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 08-26-2018, 11:24 AM   #1
paat
Human being with feelings

Default Support more than 64 channels of output from VST3 plugins

Vienna Ensemble Pro can be configured with a "virtually unlimited" number of outputs. This is useful for setting up a single instrument with hundreds of instruments, and routing each one to their own channel in REAPER.

However, REAPER supports VST multiple outputs by means of its channel routing – which is currently limited to 64 channels per track.

I would like to see REAPER support more than 64 channels of VST audio. Two ideas I have for that are:

1. Increase the maximum number of channels for tracks (why not unlimited?)
2. Route VST outputs directly to tracks, bypassing the multi-channel setup completely

I am solely interested in the end result of using more than 64 channels of VST output, so whatever way accomplishes that is fine with me.
paat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:07 PM   #2
Lokasenna

Out of curiosity, just because I can't find any mention of it anywhere, what's the maximum channel count you can get away with in other DAWs?

I've always been under the impression that Reaper was way ahead of the pack in this department.

+1 anyway though.
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:40 AM   #3
Michael Firmont

+1 as well!

I am prepping Reaper since several days and was close to start working in Reaper now, but now I saw that Reaper is limited with 64 outputs. It's not usable for me this way So sad! I would need at least 250 Outs for my VEP sessions, please update this issue!

I hope this is possible in any way, I was really looking forward to switching from Cubase to Reaper....
Michael Firmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:42 PM   #4
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by paat View Post
1. Increase the maximum number of channels for tracks (why not unlimited?)
Because of possible performance hit. Things may run more efficiently if the maximum number of channels is at some set limit. But this is speculative, the overall impact might as well be pretty minimal if the channel count is allowed to be dynamic.
--
Xenakios blog (about HourGlass, Paul(X)Stretch and λ) :
http://xenakios.wordpress.com/
Xenakios is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:06 AM   #5
hotzmarino

Hi,
My old DAW ( a great one) is a bit out of date, it is really a pain but I have to change. So I decided to switch to another DAW, REAPER in my opinion is the future. I’m super sure.

But, how to configure Reaper and Vienna?

If I have well understood (if not please help me to understand !!!) I must configure a single plugin every 16 MIDI channels and this mean a new instance in Vienna Ensemble Pro... difficult for a real workflow.

Midi is really important and crucial at that time: writing tons of controllers, switching from a track to another checking the score,the articulations, the sound, make audio of the midi, export the midi to another program for scoring...

Spending the time wondering where are the tracks, supercharge Reaper of tons of instances is superconfusing...

Best to all

Hotzmarino
hotzmarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:45 AM   #6
paat

You don't need a VEP instance per 16 channels of MIDI.

If you're using VST3 (which REAPER supports) then you can route MIDI to any of VEP's 16 MIDI ports – so you have 16x16 = 256 MIDI channels in a single VEP instance.

If you're using VST2, then there's a special Vienna plugin called "Vienna Ensemble Port" or something like that, that lets you select which VEP port to send MIDI to.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:48 PM   #7
hotzmarino

Thank you paat

256 is good even if sometimes I need more (without adding new VEP instances)
Is there a way to do that?

Last edited by hotzmarino; 12-15-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:23 PM   #8
paat

Not that I know of, someone in VSL forum may know though.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:43 AM   #9
ashcat_lt

JFC!!! I mean, do what ya gotta do, but are actually telling me that you move all 250 faders often enough not to just adjust whichever parameter in the VSTi does the same thing?!?
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:06 PM   #10
hotzmarino

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
JFC!!! I mean, do what ya gotta do, but are actually telling me that you move all 250 faders often enough not to just adjust whichever parameter in the VSTi does the same thing?!?
Sorry to not understand well your question ( english is not my mother language).
When I work with big templates 256 is good enough for quite the majority of projects.
But, sometimes, I have to deal with a lot of articulations, sounds layering and it is necessary to have a huge number of track.
(I do not move faders but surely I write all the necessary midi controls).
Old 12-20-2018, 06:41 AM   #11
Michael Firmont

Still struggeling as well...

I changed my hole VEP6 setup to 64 Outputs max each instances (now I have 14 of those...) but the next fight is there...

I can't adress the instruments, just the first (1 - 1, 1 - 2, etc) is working, all the following ones ( 2 - all, 3 - all, ----) are not working at all. Can't help myself with this
Old 12-20-2018, 06:53 AM   #12
EvilDragon

You need to map MIDI busses to VST3 MIDI ports, the option for that is there when you right click the in/out button in top right of the plugin window, and only if you use VST3 plugin for VEPro.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:01 AM   #13
Michael Firmont

THANK you so much, seriously... I would have never ever found this...

THis also solved another issue... Perfect!
Old 07-09-2019, 05:07 AM   #14
hotzmarino

Default VEP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
You need to map MIDI busses to VST3 MIDI ports, the option for that is there when you right click the in/out button in top right of the plugin window, and only if you use VST3 plugin for VEPro.
Thank you Evil Dragon!
I've also found this:

https://www.vsl.co.at/community/post...nce#post285538

Last edited by hotzmarino; 07-19-2019 at 05:05 AM.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:04 PM   #15
sklathill

Would definitely like to voice my desire for more than 64 channel output support on VST3s! Just like the OP, I'm using Vienna Ensemble Pro (now on version 7) which supports arbitrarily large channel output for my big ole orchestral template. Of course, I can have multiple VEP instances, but that makes things a little annoying when it comes to maximizing performance, as VEP allocates cores per instance and balancing that can be a hassle (and having to do that on the fly is not really feasible in something that should be a template).
sklathill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:07 PM   #16
jm duchenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Out of curiosity, just because I can't find any mention of it anywhere, what's the maximum channel count you can get away with in other DAWs?

I've always been under the impression that Reaper was way ahead of the pack in this department.

+1 anyway though.
- Pyramix up to 384, depening on the hardware !
- Ardour 100
- Sequoia and Podium only 32 ;-)

So yes, Reaper is definitely in the top 3...
jm duchenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:13 PM   #17
jm duchenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by sklathill View Post
Would definitely like to voice my desire for more than 64 channel output support on VST3s!
The problem is that it would need a complete update of the busses, and if it has not been thought at the begining, it may be a big work... for only a few people :-(

I am waiting for this since several years for a different reason (multichannel works) and I have actually to do weird things when I need more than 64, but I am afraid that it will take some time before there is a convenient solution.
jm duchenne is offline   Reply With Quote