Old 01-12-2019, 06:18 PM   #121
Coachz
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
LED's have been around for over half a century...
But with the current popularity of them in the last 5 years and all the hype around 20 year life I'm wondering how they will fare.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:07 AM   #122
cyrano

i'm fairly confident most LED's will last longer than any other light source. It's only getting popular the last decade or so, because of the availability of white LED's, and in the last few years, cheap white LED's...
Old 01-13-2019, 07:50 AM   #123
Coachz

longer yes but 20 years ? They make lots of promises when the technology comes out and then they cut corners and deliver less often.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:16 AM   #124
cyrano

The earliest LED's are still mostly alive. Besides, LED's don't fail much. If anything fails in LED bulbs, it's either the PSU, or a soldering point.

And the PSU is the biggest failure factor, because it needs to transform mains voltage to something like 3 volts. To keep it cheap, a series capacitance is used. So it all depends on the quality of that cap and if the series resistor is of adequate wattage.

But if you run a LED on the right voltage and current, it will last "forever".

It's not the LED's that fail, but the the entire assembly, contrary to incandescent bulbs, where there's only one part. And that will fail one day.

Interesting to know, the DDR developed incandescent bulbs with a 100 year lifetime in the sixties. None of the industries in the West was even mildly interested. Even our average incandescent bulb will last very long, if you run it at a lower voltage. That's what they do in traffic lights, fi.

OTOH, gas filled lamps are mostly a scam, for consumer use. They don't last long and are a waste problem because of the coating, which is highly toxic.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:06 AM   #125
Coachz

http://www.eenewseurope.com/news/big...t-led-lighting
(2nd half of article is dead). Wayback machine to the rescue.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170324...hting/page/0/1

From the article........
"The lifetime is not a function of the LED, but rather the total circuit solution.

Since LEDs have a lot more parts a failure of a part at 100 ppm means a failure of 1 out of 167 lamps.

After a quick look around my 2,200-sq.-ft. house, I counted about 50 light bulbs. Once again, applying the product rule, the incandescent lamp failure rate inside my house should be about 1 out of 200. And the LED lamp failure rate should be about 1 out of 4! A 25% failure rate is ridiculous for a product that costs $10 or more and does nothing more than a product that costs 50 cents.

I did a further reliability analysis on Amazon.com, looking at the ratings for LED lamps. Out of 400 reviews, 25 people gave a popular $10 LED lamp a rating of one. I started reading through the one-star reviews and virtually everyone who scored the lamp as a one claimed their score was because the lamps failed very quickly."

Also some of the comments are in line with my experience.

None of this really matters. What matters is the fact that 1) I'm experiencing LED bulbs failing well within a year of when I installed them. 2) I have bought LEDs from several sources (Lowes, Home Depot, WalMart) and evidently I have to keep track of when I installed each bulb, keep the receipts so when they fail I can get my money back. I don't know about you, but i don't have the time to do this. We were required to use this technology well be before it was perfected and now there are no alternatives since the incandescent bulb is now banned. If you haven't experienced this yet, just wait, because it will happen to you. You have to spend around 4 times what an incandescent bulb costs, but the LEDs don't really operate any longer. Is anyone else out there having these same issues. I can't believe i would be the only one.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:28 AM   #126
cyrano

Lowes, Home Depot, WalMart...

Should be obvious.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:35 AM   #127
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Lowes, Home Depot, WalMart...

Should be obvious.
It's not, enlighten me ? The BOSCH cordless screwdriver I bought there will probably last 30 years. They carry all levels of quality and you are trying to say they are the problem but they are not. The bulbs are.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:00 AM   #128
grinder

My experience as a New Zealander living in New Zealand is that the LED lighting provided here is very stable.
Our incandescent bulbs may last three to six months if we are lucky. Our LED
Lighting well in four years none have gone.
We are fortunate to have consumer laws here which may have a positive effect on longevity. All this said we are very happy with the LED's we get here.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:06 PM   #129
JamesPeters

My experience as a Canadian living in Canada is similar. I've used all kinds of LED bulbs, different brands (some more respectable than others, some outright bought simply because of how cheap they were). I've had...3 failures that I can remember, ever since LED bulbs were released for sale in Canada. Most of those bulbs were run in enclosed fixtures too, which they're not supposed to be (heat buildup can be a problem, so I'm shortening the bulbs' lifespans).

One of the 3 failures I can remember was a bulb I bought on a whim, no name brand at all, online, for maybe $1. I was experimenting with bulbs of different color temperatures and found it was difficult to find bulbs exceeding 5000K anymore. I found some 6500K bulbs which looked pretty crummy but I bought one anyway, and it only lasted a year (which is still more than I can say about incandescent bulbs, if used as frequently as this).

I have a dozen spare bulbs in a cabinet in this house. I've been here a year and a half and haven't had to use one yet. That's after replacing all the bulbs in the house with bulbs that I'd used in my previous home for 2 years (except the outdoor bulbs, oven bulb, and refrigerator bulb, which can't be LED bulbs due to the temperatures). A couple of those bulbs were from my home prior to that. I'd have brought more from that home but my former roommate didn't want me stealing all the LED bulbs in the house when I left.

They waste less energy, put out a lot less heat, and last long. The only things that have annoyed me: some of the earliest ones I bought had an audible buzz, and getting used to the color temperatures/brightnesses (I had to go through a phase of testing different bulbs to settle on what I wanted for those aspects). Oh also that street lamps being replaced with LED type can be annoying, since the city doesn't seem to understand what color temperatures/brightnesses to use. They might be learning about that though.

Something I find really nice about LED bulbs: if you put bulbs of more than one color temperature into a fixture, the blending of the color temps makes for a more natural light (like actual sunlight). I have a couple fixtures in the basement over my workbenches, which have 3 bulbs each of different color temperatures. I choose lower brightness/power for those bulbs so it doesn't blind me (5W max per bulb). It's so much easier to see what I'm working on with that kind of light. No incandescent bulbs can do that.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:22 PM   #130
lucas_LCS

back to something more on topic:
Since 120GB SSD drives are are fairly inexpensive now, are there any benefits to using one as a dedicated swap drive in Windows or Linux?
Old 01-14-2019, 05:27 AM   #131
EvilDragon

Yeah, it'd be faster than a regular HD
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:43 AM   #132
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
What would be the difference of these? For me RT CPU is the only bottleneck I see. Does RT CPU come into play when streaming lots of files and the drives are slow ? I currently don't see any drive issues here with 3 HDDs, OS, Samples and Project unless RT CPU can be affected by that.

Are there other metrics we can look at while running Reaper to determine if drives are a bottleneck ?

Once you are in SSD world totally do any of these setups offer benefits ?

SSD OS
SSD Swap Drive
SSD Samples Drive
SSD Reaper Project Drive

vs

SSD ALL ON ONE

vs

SSD OS / SWAP
SSD Samples / Reaper Project Drive
Old 01-14-2019, 09:21 AM   #133
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Should have clarified that I'm not using an HDD, already only using SSD.
Also, I currently have my swap file turned off, so no paging file at the moment.
with that in mind:
- what are the benefits to turning it back on?
- would a separate SSD as a dedicated swap drive be more beneficial that just getting a larger SSD?
Old 01-14-2019, 10:10 AM   #134
Coachz

https://www.howtogeek.com/126430/htg...ou-disable-it/

while Windows can run without a page file if you have a large amount of RAM, there’s no performance benefit to disabling the page file.

However, disabling the page file can result in some bad things. If programs start to use up all your available memory, they’ll start crashing instead of being swapped out of the RAM into your page file. This can also cause problems when running software that requires a large amount of memory, such as virtual machines. Some programs may even refuse to run.

In summary, there’s no good reason to disable the page file – you’ll get some hard drive space back, but the potential system instability won’t be worth it.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:15 AM   #135
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post

while Windows can run without a page file if you have a large amount of RAM, there’s no performance benefit to disabling the page file.

However, disabling the page file can result in some bad things. In summary, there’s no good reason to disable the page file –
All correct. There is the secondary caveat that if the machine BSOD's - it uses the page file to write the dump/log because it can't trust anything else at that moment. If you ever noticed that extra delay before you can login post BSOD, that is the OS copying the dump data from the page file to the dump folder.

The right answer is to determine if the machine is paging too much (perfmon.exe) and if it is, add more memory - but if we have enough memory to disable the page file, we already know the answer.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:38 AM   #136
Glennbo

Last time I had any concern over my swap file was in Windows 98SE when entering the line, "ConservativeFileSwapUsage=1" into system.ini would make Windows actually wait until memory needed to be swapped.

That said, I have two 250GB SSDs and a 1TB spinning platters drive in my DAW. The first 250GB SSD has Windows and Linux on it, along with all my apps. The second SSD is used for creating backups of both Windows and Linux, along with hand copied backups of select folders, like my REAPER data. Lastly the 1TB physical drive keeps all my wave data, video data, and select backups of other things.

At some point, I will probably swap the 1TB drive out for another SSD but the price for a 1TB will have to come down more before I'll pop for it.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:07 PM   #137
lucas_LCS

I'm running:
- Win 7 Pro
- 8GB RAM (the max for my board)
- 240GB SSD Main drive and a 480GB SSD data drive
- page file has been turned off for at least 3 years
- no BSODs, this system is stable.
- I don't appear to be maxing my memory except on one or 2 rare occasions, even when using Reaper.
Note that Reaper is being run on a dedicated Win 7 Pro PC identical to my main use PC.

I turned superfetch and the swap file off to cut down on write cycles for the SSD.
I can see that turning the swap file back on would possibly give the system more virtual memory.

The remaining question is this:
- other than cost, would an SSD drive dedicated to being a swap drive be more beneficial over just using a larger system drive?

Last edited by lucas_LCS; 01-14-2019 at 09:16 PM.
lucas_LCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:23 AM   #138
JSMastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
I'm running:
- Win 7 Pro
- 8GB RAM (the max for my board)
- 240GB SSD Main drive and a 480GB SSD data drive
- I don't appear to be maxing my memory except on one or 2 rare occasions, even when using Reaper.
Note that Reaper is being run on a dedicated Win 7 Pro PC identical to my main use PC.

I turned superfetch and the swap file off to cut down on write cycles for the SSD.
I can see that turning the swap file back on would possibly give the system more virtual memory.

- other than cost, would an SSD drive dedicated to being a swap drive be more beneficial over just using a larger system drive?

Other than raspberry pis and tiny VMs, I don't think I've used a computer with 8GB of RAM in fifteen years.

I'd fix that problem long before worrying about anything else. I don't see how you can get away with that in Windows.

I haven't used a swap partition in linux in about the same amount of time, again excepting RPis and tiny VMs. I never bothered changing the defaults in OS X or Windows...it doesn't seem worth the effort.
JSMastering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:24 AM   #139
Glennbo

Quote:
Prolly should fix that with some random tinkering, methinks!
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:58 AM   #140
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSMastering View Post
Other than raspberry pis and tiny VMs, I don't think I've used a computer with 8GB of RAM in fifteen years.

I'd fix that problem long before worrying about anything else. I don't see how you can get away with that in Windows.
What are you talking about? 8GB is more than enough for most people. If he uses lots of sample banks in Kontact or something, yes I would definitely recommend more RAM. It's easy enough to see the RAM usage for the system to know if that's a problem. There's a performance meter in Reaper and there's also utilities the OS has.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:07 AM   #141
Coachz

I've used 6gb without problems for the last 8 years. Just went to 12gb for $35. Was a no brainer at that price.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:48 AM   #142
JamesPeters

If somebody is buying a new system or at least a new main board it makes sense to just say get 16 GB of RAM or more. I probably wouldn't consider anything less these days "just in case", considering what software I might want to run in the future on that machine. The price these days doesn't really justify getting less RAM. However the only time I've come close to using the full 8 GB of RAM that I have, I was running multiple large sample banks in different VSTi. It was more of a test than anything since I don't normally do that. I know some people here do that kind of thing often and definitely need more RAM, but that's kind of obvious for them.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:56 AM   #143
karbomusic

It's a comparison of fairly bare minimum vs what it could be...

I'm using 6.5 GB just sitting here (24 installed), a bit of that is the newer compressed memory feature. In 2019, having something like 16-32GB increases performance because of the ability to keep that program you ran an hour ago (or even VST) in memory and load fast later (because the OS compressed the memory in case you launched again - which will be the case unless other memory pressure comes along - which won't happen if you have enough memory).

Meaning, unless the box only runs Reaper (and possibly even then), it will likely be faster across the board when there is enough memory to cover most scenarios. That's the big deal with memory, things run faster when the OS can keep the majority of stuff in memory all the time. I dig being able to watch youtube, edit videos, run visual studio while I'm mixing.

Can you run at 8GB, absolutely but the day to day experience will be better with 16-32.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:31 PM   #144
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
If somebody is buying a new system or at least a new main board it makes sense to just say get 16 GB of RAM or more. I probably wouldn't consider anything less these days "just in case", considering what software I might want to run in the future on that machine. The price these days doesn't really justify getting less RAM. However the only time I've come close to using the full 8 GB of RAM that I have, I was running multiple large sample banks in different VSTi. It was more of a test than anything since I don't normally do that. I know some people here do that kind of thing often and definitely need more RAM, but that's kind of obvious for them.
I totally agree. Even 24GB is reasonable.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:47 PM   #145
serr

It would be fun to put the full 128GB ram in the Mac Pro just because I saw the number written down...
32GB is silly overkill at present however!

If you use Soundtoys plugins, you can leave your project open all night and come back the next morning to follow the memory leak races.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:51 PM   #146
grinder

You guys were talking about cores earlier I think?
I have an Intel Xeon CPU E5-1650 0 @ 3.20 GHZ
When I do the Ctrl-Shift- Esc thing I get under performance
no details with "cores" written what I do get is 12 lanes I would call them
on the top section.
I googled and specs say my Intel has 6 cores and 12 Logical Processors.

What number should I place in Reapers tick box under Buffering -
Allow Live FX multiprocessing on.....

Reaper by default has the number 12 in the box and my online computer has 4
so I am guessing Reaper can see the cores?
Can you clear up whether I should allow 6 or 12 to be in that box?

Many thanks

Grinder
Old 01-15-2019, 02:17 PM   #147
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
If you use Soundtoys plugins, you can leave your project open all night and come back the next morning to follow the memory leak races.
That's a bug LOL. I don't see 32GB as overkill though, I see it more as "plenty of headroom" because you can run every app on the box at once.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:37 PM   #148
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
That's a bug LOL. I don't see 32GB as overkill though, I see it more as "plenty of headroom" because you can run every app on the box at once.
Yeah, I've only got 16GB ram, but in all honesty I haven't run into any problems with that. However, I wish I'd have just put the 32GB in in the first place and forgot about it.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:42 PM   #149
Tod

Quote:
I totally agree. Even 24GB is reasonable.
Isn't it best to double up rather then triple up? Probably not, just something I seem to remember and it's probably hogwash.

Ha ha, Coachz, it looks like you're having a "bad hair day".
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:44 PM   #150
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Yeah, I've only got 16GB ram, but in all honesty I haven't run into any problems with that. However, I wish I'd have just put the 32GB in in the first place and forgot about it.
I think 16GB is pretty dang good depending, it is nice to have the extra just in case but none of that is required if not seeing any issues. Everyone should keep in mind that my main computer is also my programming/development machine, my DAW, my business machine, my video production/editing machine, my TV and entertainment system and so on. Much of my use of extra memory is never really having to close down apps if I switch from one task to another - memory is much of the thing that controls how much you can do without slowdowns not taking CPU intensive tasks into account.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:47 PM   #151
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS
I take it no one has an answer to this question?

Old 01-15-2019, 04:52 PM   #152
karbomusic

Quote:
I take it no one has an answer to this question?

Answer to the original question: No. It's better to have enough memory in all cases because swap usage is directly tied to how much physical memory you have (by it's actual design) - there is no need to hyper focus on page file setup in 2019 for a DAW. Let the system manage it and move on. The whole point there is that if swap performance is an issue, it's because it's being utilized heavily, which it won't be if there is enough memory.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:29 PM   #153
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
The whole point there is that if swap performance is an issue..
Thanks, I appreciate your reply.
I understand the relationship between the swap file and the RAM size.
My current systems are limited to a max of 8GB RAM, so more RAM is not an option at the moment, so please ignore the RAM for now.

My question here is not necessarily just about swap performance.
I would like to know whether there are any benefits to running a dedicated swap drive instead of a swap file on the system drive.
These benefits can include, but would not be limited to swap performance.

Last edited by lucas_LCS; 01-15-2019 at 05:36 PM.
lucas_LCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:19 PM   #154
karbomusic

Academically for all of us, here's pretty much the de facto resource on virtual memory/page file..

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...irtual-memory/

Quote:
My question here is not necessarily just about swap performance.
I would like to know whether there are any benefits to running a dedicated swap drive instead of a swap file on the system drive.
These benefits can include, but would not be limited to performance
Most of this has already been answered earlier in posts or links included...

From a non-performance perspective, it's the same as I said before, if there were ever a BSOD and you wanted the crash dumps, there needs to be 256MB of page allocated to the system drive (regardless of what is allocated to dedicated drives). That's about it as far as non-performance benefits. Concerning the performance perspective, I noticed this from a previous reply...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS
If that is the case, there should be little performance benefit because that effectively shows you aren't paging the vast majority of the time (other than it can be argued there's a small potential performance benefit from 'having' a page file vs. not by freeing memory for stuff that isn't really needed often). I don't imagine placing the page on a separate drive is going to make much overall worthwhile difference based on the information you provided. Also note that memory is 10k to 100k times faster than disk (assuming random access) so the differences we are speaking concerning various page/disk configurations are a tiny sliver comparatively.

Last edited by karbomusic; 01-15-2019 at 06:40 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:52 PM   #155
chas51

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
You guys were talking about cores earlier I think?
I have an Intel Xeon CPU E5-1650 0 @ 3.20 GHZ
When I do the Ctrl-Shift- Esc thing I get under performance
no details with "cores" written what I do get is 12 lanes I would call them
on the top section.
I googled and specs say my Intel has 6 cores and 12 Logical Processors.

What number should I place in Reapers tick box under Buffering -
Allow Live FX multiprocessing on.....

Reaper by default has the number 12 in the box and my online computer has 4
so I am guessing Reaper can see the cores?
Can you clear up whether I should allow 6 or 12 to be in that box?

Many thanks

Grinder
hey Grinder,
I googled.
not sure if this helps, but in case it does,
this is what I found:
read serr posts #39 and #42 in this thread

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=164801

and
https://www.fathomsynth.com/reaper/

Last edited by chas51; 01-15-2019 at 09:18 PM.
chas51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:29 AM   #156
grinder

Good to hear from you Chas51
That post gives me at least the courage to just try 6 I think
Sounds like I will not melt the computer just trying!
Getting pretty deep into computer stuff when all this is happening hard to keep up.

I will let you know if my circumstances improve hope the Christmas was great. Happy new year too.

Grinder
Old 01-16-2019, 03:13 AM   #157
Coachz

Still wondering.....

Does RT CPU come into play when streaming lots of files and the drives are slow ?

I currently don't see any drive issues here with 3 HDDs, OS, Samples and Project unless RT CPU can be affected by that.

Are there other metrics we can look at while running Reaper to determine if drives are a bottleneck ?

Once you are in SSD world totally do any of these setups offer measurable benefits ?

SSD OS
SSD Swap Drive
SSD Samples Drive
SSD Reaper Project Drive

vs

SSD ALL ON ONE

vs

SSD OS / SWAP
SSD Samples / Reaper Project Drive
Old 01-16-2019, 07:58 AM   #158
dug dog

Quote:
But with the current popularity of them in the last 5 years and all the hype around 20 year life I'm wondering how they will fare.
I just replaced ANOTHER one this morning. Less than 5 years old for sure and, possibly, less than 3. (My memory is leaky.)
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:09 AM   #159
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
I just replaced ANOTHER one this morning. Less than 5 years old for sure and, possibly, less than 3. (My memory is leaky.)
Yup, not impressed with LEDs here either.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:21 AM   #160
chas51

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
Good to hear from you Chas51
That post gives me at least the courage to just try 6 I think
Sounds like I will not melt the computer just trying!
Getting pretty deep into computer stuff when all this is happening hard to keep up.

I will let you know if my circumstances improve hope the Christmas was great. Happy new year too.

Grinder
very good Grinder. hope you had a great Christmas, and Happy new year to you too!!