Old 05-02-2021, 05:49 PM   #1
panicaftermath
Human being with feelings

Default Envelope display settings

Somewhere along the line something changed in my setup for how envelopes are displayed, and since then they have never been right or quite made sense. This is for track envelopes displayed in the track (not in lanes) and also item envelopes. In what follows, the only visible and enabled envelope will be the volume envelope

The problem is what seems an inconsistent vertical position of 0db within the vertical height of the track or item.

For both tracks and items, sometimes 0 runs through the vertical center of the available height. Other times, 0 is located about 2/3 of the way up. Once upon a time, as I recall, 0db was always in the center for track and item envelopes unless it was sharing the space with another envelope, and I never had to orient myself to where zero was and I rarely had too much or too little resolution or granularity in making adjustments with the mouse.

I understand that in Preferences-Editing Behavior-Envelope Display the “Volume envelope range” setting is supposed to control this, and it does, but it sometimes seems the only way to get 0 to run through the center is to set this to -inf to -24db, which makes small adjustments difficult to make and to see.

Is there another related setting somewhere?

It appears that when the scale of the volume envelope range setting is changed, the absolute values remain intact even if they exceed the upper bounds of the new scale, which is as it should be.

But what determines where 0 is? In the screen cap below, the two tracks have their vol envelopes in different positions as I change the setting, even though on each track the vol env is the only one, both have their vol control set to 0db, no trim... as far as I can tell, all relevant settings are identical, but they are displaying differently. (Sorry for the large scale of the licecap capture... not sure why it is like that.)

Do I seem confused?

Last edited by panicaftermath; 05-02-2021 at 05:59 PM.
panicaftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:57 PM   #2
panicaftermath

So here we have 4 items, each with a volume envelope and no other hidden or enabled envelopes. All the envelopes show 0db across their length, but two of them display in the center and two display up near the top.

What accounts for this difference?

Old 05-04-2021, 01:22 PM   #3
panicaftermath

Testing 1...2...? Anyone?