Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 03-10-2021, 08:57 PM   #1
fawudd
Human being with feelings

Default A PC User walks into a MAC bar.......

Hello, I am planning a transition this weekend from my Reaper PC to a new Macbook (M1). Since I have to reinstall a bunch of items, I have a few questions about this rare opportunity to start fresh:

1. Is it ok from a performance standpoint to install Reaper on the internal SSD, but install everything else (Instruments, samples, etc) on an external SSD (USB 3.0)? Can I connect and copy from an existing PC external drive?

2. Will my Reaper config files saved to the cloud from my PC import seemlessly to Reaper on the Mac? Same for mouse modifiers? Same for themes? Same for FX chains?

3. Any tips to avoid iLok hell?

thanks in advance for any guidance.
fawudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 02:29 AM   #2
rstockm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawudd View Post
2. Will my Reaper config files saved to the cloud from my PC import seemlessly to Reaper on the Mac? Same for mouse modifiers? Same for themes? Same for FX chains?
In general: yes, yes, yes and yes. But there is some fineprint:

- not all VST Effects are already ported to the ARM architecture
- for maximum safety, try the "normal" Rosetta2 version of REAPER for VST
- keep in mind, that on Rosetta2 all JSFX-Effect will become really slow. As in - sloooow. Performance of JSFX on the native ARM release is a blast, though.
- there are some minor differences between Mac an PC as REAPER sees several keyboard-keys. So check your (custom) shortcuts, and fix problems if you see any.
rstockm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:26 AM   #3
fawudd

Thanks rstockm, I was planning to stick to the Rosetta path, and hopefully move to ARM native in a few months when the plugin vendors catch up. Apple's video makes it seem like a simple recompile that can be done in minutes, but it is obviously more involved or everybody would have an ARM version out already.....

My main goal is to get Reaper functional for continued recording and tracking work on a few projects. Fortunately, they do not involve JSFX. I am new to Mac, so there is a whole heap of newness involved.
fawudd is offline   Reply With Quote