Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-11-2021, 01:22 AM   #1
CVD
Human being with feelings

Default sound cuts out in reagate

Hi, I don't understand why the sound in my audio is cutting out when I try to set the threshold in Reagate to above -30 it starts to cut out and distort. I haven't had that before and do not know why it is happening.
CVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:26 AM   #2
uncleswede

That sounds like it's doing exactly what it is designed to do.
If you want to 'smooth' the cutoff of the gate, try increasing the Hysteresis value
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:34 AM   #3
DVDdoug

Quote:
Reagate to above -30
What's actual noise problem? If your noise floor is really around -30dB that's terrible!

Is this an old/existing recording or is it an on-going problem? If it's an on-going problem you should try to prevent the noise instead of trying to remove it.

Noise gates (and noise reduction) work best when you have a low-level background noise (when you don't really need it). So typically, your noise gate threshold might be around -60dB where you can't really hear it "working".

Electric guitars are usually noisier so you'll probably have to use a higher threshold but as long as the guitar is gated separately you probably won't hear the gating in the full-mix.

...I have some old black & white movies on DVD that were noise-gated. I'm not really noticing the noise until the noise-gate suddenly kicks-in and the background goes dead silent... For a moment I'm thinking the sound has failed and it's distracting.
DVDdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:42 PM   #4
CVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
What's actual noise problem? If your noise floor is really around -30dB that's terrible!

Is this an old/existing recording or is it an on-going problem? If it's an on-going problem you should try to prevent the noise instead of trying to remove it.

Noise gates (and noise reduction) work best when you have a low-level background noise (when you don't really need it). So typically, your noise gate threshold might be around -60dB where you can't really hear it "working".

Electric guitars are usually noisier so you'll probably have to use a higher threshold but as long as the guitar is gated separately you probably won't hear the gating in the full-mix.

...I have some old black & white movies on DVD that were noise-gated. I'm not really noticing the noise until the noise-gate suddenly kicks-in and the background goes dead silent... For a moment I'm thinking the sound has failed and it's distracting.
Question - what is the typical db for a quiet enough floor. When it is well insulated it is in the minus range. ACX wants -60. I have been worried whether I am in an insulated enough space.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:16 PM   #5
CVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post

I looked at the wrong place on the spectrum analysis. But when looking at the peaks it shows it fluctuates between about -54 and -60 without any editing.

Last edited by CVD; 05-11-2021 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:42 PM   #6
jrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVD View Post
Question - what is the typical db for a quiet enough floor. When it is well insulated it is in the minus range. ACX wants -60. I have been worried whether I am in an insulated enough space.
If this is a voice-over / speaking book thing - you can reduce the amount of room noise you pick up by screening your talent / microphone. Don't forget to high-pass to get rid of any traffic (etc) rumble.

If you've got your noise down nearly, but not quite, far enough - ReaFir can be more forgiving than simple gating. Especially if you can parameter mod the wet level, so that it's more active in pauses.