Old 07-24-2006, 05:22 PM   #1
Spon
Human being with feelings

Default delete envelope point

Edit an envelope, click on the line to make a point, move it around, decide you don't want this point at all.

It would be nice if, while the mouse button was still down, pushing the "delete" key deleted the envelope point, rather than whatever media item(s) happened to be selected.
Spon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:51 PM   #2
RokkD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spon
Edit an envelope, click on the line to make a point, move it around, decide you don't want this point at all.

It would be nice if, while the mouse button was still down, pushing the "delete" key deleted the envelope point, rather than whatever media item(s) happened to be selected.
But that's two handed, the quickest, easiest, movingrightalong way would be, Double click to delete. Right now the right click menu thing is a big slower downer..

--
RokkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:58 PM   #3
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RokkD
But that's two handed, the quickest, easiest, movingrightalong way would be, Double click to delete. Right now the right click menu thing is a big slower downer..

--
as it always is in any program.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:17 PM   #4
RokkD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill
as it always is in any program.
The right click menu thing, or the double click?........sorry if I seem a little dense, but Iv'e been up straight with no sleep for almost 5 hours now...

RokkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:33 PM   #5
Spon

doubleclick - I don't like, because I expect it to do something else - it doesn't seem normal to delete via double-click.

delete key - slows you down if you aren't already doing working keyboard/mouse. If you are, it's fast because you don't have to let up the click/drag you've already done. And it makes sense - press delete key, active object deleted. It isn't quite as good for deleting points already existing (click-hold-press delete), but timeline selecting and "remove envelope points in loop selection" is fast for a whole bunch of them.

Right-click menu - well, they're menus. They're a bunch slower. They're good for menuish things, like dynamic content.

How about just dragging the point substantially off the whole track? Leave some slop room so you can easily drag to zero or maximum without deleting your point by accident, but if you pull it far enough away, it dies.

My vote is for two-hand AND drag off track.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:55 AM   #6
Art Evans
Mortal

Yeah, the rubber band twang method is neat to delete.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 05:00 AM   #7
olzzon

I like it the way it is.
And if you wan´t to delete more than one, you just use the "Delete envelope inside loop point" when you rghtclick the envelope.
olzzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:32 PM   #8
Spon

bump

I was playing with using envelopes for mutes. It can be done, but isn't easy or graceful, and I sure want it easier to delete envelope points.

I still think that once you have the left mouse button down on a point, either having created it or clicked on an existing one, that you ought to be able to delete it without letting up the mouse button and having to hit it again.

I can't think of any OTHER reason anyone would hit the delete key while having the mouse button down on an envelope point, so I'll again request that this delete the point.

I also think that if you drag an envelope point off the track pane as far as the menubar or transport bar, that this would be another nice place for the point to get deleted. Again, hard to do by accident.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:56 PM   #9
Justin
Administrator

with the way envelopes are now (since the big overhaul not too long ago), if you have an envelope point selected and the envelope is active, delete deletes any seletced points.

-J
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:11 AM   #10
Spon

Yer right!!! just let go of the button (in the cases I'm talking about it's the only point involved), hit delete, and poof! Sweet!
Old 09-24-2006, 01:01 AM   #11
Art Evans
Mortal

Off the top of my head, you can ctrl/click multiple points (not necessarily consecutive) and do Stuff to them, including delete. It's a focus thing. (Hands up anyone who remembers that Focus thing, "Sylvia"?)
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:11 AM   #12
Spon

As likely as not, the point I'm trying to delete is the one I just created by accident when I tried to click on an existing point and missed, or tried to click on the clip but not on the envelope, and missed.

Having to go back and click it again, I'm liable to just make ANOTHER new point...

The only Focus thing I remember is Hocus Pocus.