Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 08-13-2022, 02:01 PM   #1
michael diemer
Human being with feelings

Default Can't Get LV2 LSP-Plugins Into Reaper (SOLVED)

I have a nice new Ubuntu Minimal install, and everything is working, except I can't for the life of me get the LSP plugins into Reaper. Tried LV version, tried vst version, nothing works.

I downloaded them, extracted them, put them in the appropriate folders; in fact, tried them all, creating new folders when necessary. I have succeeded with this in previous installations, and can't figure out what's going on here.

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by michael diemer; 08-15-2022 at 12:54 PM.
michael diemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 02:15 PM   #2
Mikobuntu

I know this might seem like obvious advice ( but this has happened me in the past ). Make sure that the folders are included on Reapers VST/LV2 path settings and to do a rescan.

Also obviously check the 'plugins that failed to scan' to see if there is a problem there.

Maybe even as a last resort try clearing the plugin cache and rescan all plugins again.
Mikobuntu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 02:39 PM   #3
michael diemer

Yes, I am putting the paths in, and hitting "apply" as well (which I sometimes forget to do). I have also cleared the cache and re-scanned.

No LV2 plugins at all are showing up in Reaper. I thought there were some included in Reaper by default, but maybe not.

I wonder if I'm missing something in this minimal Ubuntu install? Something essential for LV2 plugins?
Old 08-13-2022, 03:01 PM   #4
Largos

Is the lv2 package installed?
Largos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 03:26 PM   #5
Mikobuntu

I think the dependencies for the lsp plugins ( according to my install at least, tho i do remember when LV2 was new there were a lot more dependencies like lilv saul etc IIRC ) are : libc6 , libcairo2 , libsndfile1 , libstdc++6 and libx11-6

The lsp LV2 plugins need to be contained within the same folder, the structure is basically there are a 2 .so files that run all the plugins, unlike most separate lv2 plugins where there will be a .so file for each package. Then all the .ttl files will be in this folder too. The folder ends with the .lv2 extension

can you paste the output of the command:- locate lsp-plugins.lv2

Last edited by Mikobuntu; 08-13-2022 at 03:44 PM.
Mikobuntu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 07:26 PM   #6
michael diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikobuntu View Post
I think the dependencies for the lsp plugins ( according to my install at least, tho i do remember when LV2 was new there were a lot more dependencies like lilv saul etc IIRC ) are : libc6 , libcairo2 , libsndfile1 , libstdc++6 and libx11-6

The lsp LV2 plugins need to be contained within the same folder, the structure is basically there are a 2 .so files that run all the plugins, unlike most separate lv2 plugins where there will be a .so file for each package. Then all the .ttl files will be in this folder too. The folder ends with the .lv2 extension

can you paste the output of the command:- locate lsp-plugins.lv2
I'm getting "command not found" when I run that command.

I'm going to try again with the vst version. I had success with my previous "test" install of the same OS, so that did work, I just need to see if I can duplicate what I did.
Old 08-13-2022, 07:52 PM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
I'm getting "command not found" when I run that command.

I'm going to try again with the vst version. I had success with my previous "test" install of the same OS, so that did work, I just need to see if I can duplicate what I did.
Besides the normal .lv2 folder in your home directory, I had to add these paths to REAPER on the LV2 path panel.

usr/lib/lv2;/usr/local/lib/lv2
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 07:52 PM   #8
audiojunkie

Quote:
Yes, I am putting the paths in, and hitting "apply" as well (which I sometimes forget to do). I have also cleared the cache and re-scanned.

No LV2 plugins at all are showing up in Reaper. I thought there were some included in Reaper by default, but maybe not.

I wonder if I'm missing something in this minimal Ubuntu install? Something essential for LV2 plugins?
Your Ubuntu install should be fine. Did you install a DEB version? If so, the dependencies should be managed by your package manager. If you manually installed the plugins, then you will (as mentioned above) need to make sure you have all of the dependencies installed. You will also need to make sure everything is installed to the intended locations/paths. And finally, whether you are using a package managed DEB, or whether you are installing it manually, Reaper needs to know the correct path to look for the files. And also, as mentioned above, If something wasn’t configured correctly when you last scanned for plugins, you’ll need to do that again. Over all, I’ve been very impressed with the LSP plugins.

Edit: I did some searching

The Linux distribution requirements:

glibc >= 2.19
libsndfile >= 1.0.25
libcairo >= 1.14
libfreetype >= 2.10
libGL
Host compatible with LV2

The usual directories for LV2 are:

/usr/lib/lv2
/usr/local/lib/lv2
/usr/lib64/lv2
/usr/local/lib64/lv2
~/.lv2

The usual directories for LinuxVST are:

/usr/lib/vst
/usr/local/lib/vst
/usr/lib64/vst
/usr/local/lib64/vst
~/.lxvst
~/.vst

Last edited by audiojunkie; 08-13-2022 at 08:18 PM.
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 10:18 AM   #9
michael diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Besides the normal .lv2 folder in your home directory, I had to add these paths to REAPER on the LV2 path panel.

usr/lib/lv2;/usr/local/lib/lv2
I did put all those in, still no go.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:27 AM   #10
michael diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
Your Ubuntu install should be fine. Did you install a DEB version? If so, the dependencies should be managed by your package manager. If you manually installed the plugins, then you will (as mentioned above) need to make sure you have all of the dependencies installed. You will also need to make sure everything is installed to the intended locations/paths. And finally, whether you are using a package managed DEB, or whether you are installing it manually, Reaper needs to know the correct path to look for the files. And also, as mentioned above, If something wasn’t configured correctly when you last scanned for plugins, you’ll need to do that again. Over all, I’ve been very impressed with the LSP plugins.

Edit: I did some searching

The Linux distribution requirements:

glibc >= 2.19
libsndfile >= 1.0.25
libcairo >= 1.14
libfreetype >= 2.10
libGL
Host compatible with LV2

The usual directories for LV2 are:

/usr/lib/lv2
/usr/local/lib/lv2
/usr/lib64/lv2
/usr/local/lib64/lv2
~/.lv2

The usual directories for LinuxVST are:

/usr/lib/vst
/usr/local/lib/vst
/usr/lib64/vst
/usr/local/lib64/vst
~/.lxvst
~/.vst
Yes, that is from the Read Me file included with LSP Plugins, and I put all those in last night. Actually, most were already in.

I have yet to try today. I am thinking it has to do with the fact that, on my previous "test" Ubuntu install, the XFCE shell I installed was different than the one I installed in the "official" Ubuntu install. As evidenced by the fact that, on boot, the splash screen is Ubuntu, whereas on the other it's Xubuntu. I'm not talking about a full XFCE-desktop; that installs so much you basically have converted it to Xubuntu. It installs Libre, Thunderbird etc. I avoided that, as it would negate the minimal Ubuntu install.

But, I did do things differently on the test vs the official one. both are less than full XFCE-desktop, yet they differ somehow. I used different tutorials, I think. And possibly some dependencies did not get installed. There are some other anomalies, such as having to run Synaptic from the terminal, and also having no permission to install in the Snap Store. Which I may remove anyway, so no loss there. I much prefer Synaptic.
Old 08-14-2022, 12:14 PM   #11
michael diemer

Success! I got the vst version going. However, I was still mystified by not finding the impulse files where I thought they should be. Then I remembered that I had not installed them yet. so many things to do on a new install, I forgot that one. I guess my fibro-fog is bad lately. Or the aliens abducted me again. Or, hell, I'm 70 years old, and have earned the right to be spacey once in awhile...

Anyway, no dependency issues, no problem with my minimal Ubuntu install, or the XFCE shell I put on it. Everything is cool. time for a cup of tea.
Old 08-14-2022, 12:14 PM   #12
4duhwinnn

Hi, I just installed _all_ the lsp's listed in synaptic in linux Reaper 6.64 in avlinux EFL version rc2 with xfce as the desktop gui (don't even ask!!! )

...and all is well.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 12:17 PM   #13
michael diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
Hi, I just installed _all_ the lsp's listed in synaptic in linux Reaper 6.64 in avlinux EFL version rc2 with xfce as the desktop gui (don't even ask!!! )

...and all is well.
Cheers
Great! I didn't understand all of that, but we're both rocking now.
Old 08-15-2022, 01:02 PM   #14
michael diemer

Although I have LSP Plugins working in vst format, this thread was about LV2, so I don't technically have that solved. I don't have an LV2 folder in this minimal Ubuntu install. I think this may be the only thing to bite me by not using a tailor-made distro. No Carla or anything like that, no LV2 folder. I did make one of course, but still had problems. I'm pretty sure it was user error/stupidity, but I don't really need LV2 anyway. LSP has everything I will likely need. All I use so far is the Stereo Reverb.
Old 08-15-2022, 01:50 PM   #15
Glennbo

Quote:
Although I have LSP Plugins working in vst format, this thread was about LV2, so I don't technically have that solved. I don't have an LV2 folder in this minimal Ubuntu install. I think this may be the only thing to bite me by not using a tailor-made distro. No Carla or anything like that, no LV2 folder. I did make one of course, but still had problems. I'm pretty sure it was user error/stupidity, but I don't really need LV2 anyway. LSP has everything I will likely need. All I use so far is the Stereo Reverb.
Why not download the LV2 versions of the LSP files direct and unzip them straight into your ~/.lv2 folder? If you don't have a .lv2 folder in your home directory, create one and make sure that Thunar is set to show hidden files.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lsp.../Linux-x86_64/

I would un-install the current LV2 versions of the LSP files first, then unzip the newest archive of the LV2 version of the LSP files from the SourceForge page.
Old 08-16-2022, 01:03 AM   #16
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Although I have LSP Plugins working in vst format, this thread was about LV2, so I don't technically have that solved. I don't have an LV2 folder in this minimal Ubuntu install.
I installed using the MX repositories by way of AVLinux, and if you have
Kx-Studio repositories enabled, you should have this path below, if you install all the lsp items using synaptic:

/usr/lib/lv2/lsp-plugins.lv2

to move the folder as Glennbo mentioned, mkdir /home/you/.lv2

and sudo cp -R /usr/lib/lv2/lsp-plugins.lv2 /home/you/.lv2

then change owner from root to your username:

chown -R you /home/you/.lv2/lsp-plugins.lv2

Hope this works!
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:25 AM   #17
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
I installed using the MX repositories by way of AVLinux, and if you have
Kx-Studio repositories enabled, you should have this path below, if you install all the lsp items using synaptic:

/usr/lib/lv2/lsp-plugins.lv2

to move the folder as Glennbo mentioned, mkdir /home/you/.lv2

and sudo cp -R /usr/lib/lv2/lsp-plugins.lv2 /home/you/.lv2

then change owner from root to your username:

chown -R you /home/you/.lv2/lsp-plugins.lv2

Hope this works!
My 2¢ is that this feels overly complicated and inadvisable. Glennbo's suggestion to remove repo version then download and extract official LV2 plugins from https://sourceforge.net/projects/lsp...ar.gz/download and drag into ~/.lv2 is definitely the way to go.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:49 AM   #18
michael diemer

Quote:
Why not download the LV2 versions of the LSP files direct and unzip them straight into your ~/.lv2 folder? If you don't have a .lv2 folder in your home directory, create one and make sure that Thunar is set to show hidden files.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lsp.../Linux-x86_64/

I would un-install the current LV2 versions of the LSP files first, then unzip the newest archive of the LV2 version of the LSP files from the SourceForge page.
I'll prolly give that a go at some point, it's crazy not to have LV2 on a Linux setup; at some point I'm sure I'll need something. I had thought of extracting directly, as Ubuntu seems not to like me to have permission to do simple things like drag files from one Home instance to another. So that looks like a good bet. And using Makdir, instead of doing it by right-clicking in the folder (which you first have to open as root to do anything), is also clunky and invites user error, to which I am all too prone.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:54 AM   #19
Glennbo

Quote:
I'll prolly give that a go at some point, it's crazy not to have LV2 on a Linux setup; at some point I'm sure I'll need something. I had thought of extracting directly, as Ubuntu seems not to like me to have permission to do simple things like drag files from one Home instance to another. So that looks like a good bet. And using Makdir, instead of doing it by right-clicking in the folder (which you first have to open as root to do anything), is also clunky and invites user error, to which I am all too prone.
I go for the LV2 versions of plugins and don't even install the VST versions when they are both included. I don't want VST duplicates that I might accidentally use. If CLAP ever gets off the ground, and REAPER natively supports it, I'll likely start using it too, as avoiding Steinberg could avoid future trouble.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:13 AM   #20
audiojunkie

Quote:
I go for the LV2 versions of plugins and don't even install the VST versions when they are both included. I don't want VST duplicates that I might accidentally use. If CLAP ever gets off the ground, and REAPER natively supports it, I'll likely start using it too, as avoiding Steinberg could avoid future trouble.
Check the upcoming beta
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:19 AM   #21
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
Check the upcoming beta
Yeah, I have read they are working on it in the pre-release area. I'm going to just wait until it's in the release versions, since I don't expect using CLAP will really change anything for me.

Once CLAP is in the release version, if some of the VST or LV2 plugins I use add CLAP versions, I'll likely switch them out, especially the VSTs.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:24 PM   #22
michael diemer

Quote:
I agree, it makes sense to avoid vst in Linux if possible. for now, I'm just happy that I can actually work again on my music, instead of spending all my time setting things up. I'm pretty well set now, though, and have a LTS distro good until April 2027. Assuming civilization is still intact at that time.

but I will get LV2 up and running at some point.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:43 PM   #23
Glennbo

Quote:
I agree, it makes sense to avoid vst in Linux if possible. for now, I'm just happy that I can actually work again on my music, instead of spending all my time setting things up. I'm pretty well set now, though, and have a LTS distro good until April 2027. Assuming civilization is still intact at that time.
Just yesterday I got a notification on my Xubuntu MythTV server that an upgrade from 20.04 to 22.04 was available, but I didn't click install just yet. I haven't made an image backup of that machine in a while, so I want to do that before upgrading.

I've upgraded that machine twice through the easy upgrade button, and nothing went wrong, but doing it without a current backup isn't something I want to try.

Quote:
but I will get LV2 up and running at some point.
If you haven't used them, the X42 LV2 plugins are really quite good. The X42 Stereo Peak Limiter is my goto limiter. It works like I expect a limiter to work. A gain control, a threshold control, and an output control, and NO pumping make up expansion.
Old 08-16-2022, 01:30 PM   #24
chmaha

Quote:
If you haven't used them, the X42 LV2 plugins are really quite good. The X42 Stereo Peak Limiter is my goto limiter. It works like I expect a limiter to work. A gain control, a threshold control, and an output control, and NO pumping make up expansion.
I was using the x42 limiter before Realimit appeared. Realimit is just amazing.
Old 08-16-2022, 01:51 PM   #25
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethHarmon View Post
I was using the x42 limiter before Realimit appeared. Realimit is just amazing.
I personally don't like ReaLimit at all because its threshold control has make up gain that I don't want or like.

If I lower the X42 Stereo Limiter's threshold control, it does exactly what I expect a limiter to do . . . LIMIT! To the threshold I set, with NO expansion trying to make up for the gain loss.

If I want the overall signal to be louder, I increase the input gain, and the signal increases, but still gets lopped off at the threshold I set.

To my ears, ReaLimit always sounds like it's pumping because of the make up gain that can't be turned off. I just want to clip transient peaks transparently, and for me the X42 Stereo Limiter functions the best at that job.
Old 08-16-2022, 01:57 PM   #26
chmaha

Quote:
I personally don't like ReaLimit at all because its threshold control has make up gain that I don't want or like.

If I lower the X42 Stereo Limiter's threshold control, it does exactly what I expect a limiter to do . . . LIMIT! To the threshold I set, with NO expansion trying to make up for the gain loss.

If I want the overall signal to be louder, I increase the input gain, and the signal increases, but still gets lopped off at the threshold I set.

To my ears, ReaLimit always sounds like it's pumping because of the make up gain that can't be turned off. I just want to clip transient peaks transparently, and for me the X42 Stereo Limiter functions the best at that job.
You are mistaken about this. Leave the threshold alone at 0.00dB (be sure to uncheck constant gain) and just change the "brickwall ceiling". It has the same behavior as the x42 limiter with true peak check box as required.
Old 08-16-2022, 02:11 PM   #27
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethHarmon View Post
You are mistaken about this. Leave the threshold alone at 0.00dB (be sure to uncheck constant gain) and just change the "brickwall ceiling". It has the same behavior as the x42 limiter with true peak check box as required.
With the constant gain checked, lowering the brickwall ceiling is automatically pulling down the threshold control, and then I start hearing pumping.

On a limiter, the threshold is the control that is supposed to set the level which will not be exceeded. That's how I expect it to be, and that's how it is on the X42 Stereo Limiter.

A volume maximizer is more what ReaLimit seems like to me, where a peak limiter should just clip peaks and nothing more.

Edit: I just tried a few other limiters to see what their threshold control does.

The LSP Stereo Limiter has a switch on its threshold control so that make up expansion can be enabled or disabled. If ReaLimit had that, I would prolly use it.

The Xhip Stereo Limiter has no make up expansion, so setting the threshold lower only reduces volume like the X42 Stereo Limiter.

TL's 3113 Stereo Limiter has no threshold control and is evidently hard set at 0db such that you have to use the input gain to force it over the fixed threshold and then use the output control to lower it back down. No make up expansion, but way too fiddly for me.

The Windows W1 Limiter has a threshold control that behaves like ReaLimit such that lowering it increases the volume, and also like ReaLimit the make up expansion cannot be disabled. Not surprising though since it was modeled to act like the Waves L2 which is a volume maximizer.

The JS based Fairly Childish Stereo Limiter has a threshold control that does not have make up expansion, but does have a separate control for make up gain.

The JS based MDA Stereo Limiter has a threshold control that also does not do any make up expansion gain.

Really, my issue with ReaLimit is that the expansion that cannot be disabled, and I've been told by Schwa that that a switch like the LSP Stereo Limiter has, won't be added to it, so I use the X42 because it behaves the way I expect it to act.

Last edited by Glennbo; 08-16-2022 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-16-2022, 04:13 PM   #28
chmaha

Quote:
With the constant gain checked, lowering the brickwall ceiling is automatically pulling down the threshold control, and then I start hearing pumping.

On a limiter, the threshold is the control that is supposed to set the level which will not be exceeded. That's how I expect it to be, and that's how it is on the X42 Stereo Limiter.

A volume maximizer is more what ReaLimit seems like to me, where a peak limiter should just clip peaks and nothing more.
Huh? I use Realimit as a straightforward brickwall limiter on every project now. Uncheck constant gain and only use the "brickwall ceiling" fader. That's how you just clip the peaks and nothing more. Realimit can definitely do exactly what you want. I wouldn't/couldn't use it if it didn't do that!