Old 01-03-2018, 12:42 PM   #1
Faderjockey
Human being with feelings

Default CRASHING!! Help...

well don't need help with crashing it's doing that just fine..

I just built new DAW i7 7700K, Samsung 850Pro 512, 32gb ram board is Gigabyte Z170x gaming 7.

So my SSL Alpha Link converters died. I needed new converters was using SSL with RME Digiface for many years fine.

So I upgraded to Apollo16 MkII and I bought that MB because it was on UAD list as supported Tunderbolt MB.. works.

But now Reaper has been crashing was always stable of course few crashes here and there in the past. But now it's often and bad.
So I would open old session that had plugins I no longer have or decided I didn't like and didn't install. So normally on a working Reaper session..It would open and just Red out those plugs you don't have installed I've done many times with clients or friends and we all don't have same plugs. But now it was crashing if it didn't have those plugs.

So I would open offline FX and delete them save and reopen and it was fine. That shouldn't be what I have to do but I did.. Then I'd notice if I minimized Reaper and went to Apollo control and back Reaper would crash sometimes. SWeemed like the handshake for seeing interface would make it crash.

So todays test.. take another older Samsung 250gb SSD out of an older laptop and plug that in and (had a clean Win10 install on it) and just load UAD stuff and Reaper. That worked..then I loaded a couple Waves..didn't want to put Slate and all my others on yet.. But I could open sessions it would see missing plugs and open like it should with them in Red..Perfect.

But then I walked away and screen was asleep..Now I've turned off all normal stuff and tweaked this like you would for a DAW.. (this is just for the test still) but when I moved my track ball to wake it Reaper crashed. Then I realized it had a screensaver on from when it was in my laptop and I missed that..so I turned off thinking ok 1 thing I missed... Then I start more testing messing with a Waves plugin and then went into Reaper Preferences changed something exited out back to edit window and Bam Reaper crashed again.

Now these test were supposed to give me the answers and make me feel better about reformatting that 512 drive and seeing if maybe that Win install was just buggy and go forward.. But Reaper on this test is crashing so much I don't see the reformat fixing what has been going on..I thought that 512 drive just had some install issues with either the OS or apps plugins.. but now this 250gb drive with less installed is still crashing and it's not the Apollo it's Reaper that is crashing..

Is 5.70 not as stable? I don't know what to do and currently I'm working with 3 bands..and all have patiently waited and understood about the upgrade because the converters died.. that wasn't a easy swap.. totally had to Build new PC and buy that Apollo is for me that was a $$ Hit to the pocket and to now have this many crashes is crazy and I can't let them come in until it's fixed..

Sorry to be long winded but hard to explain/cover it all in few words.
Faderjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:53 PM   #2
karbomusic

Quote:
Then I'd notice if I minimized Reaper and went to Apollo control and back Reaper would crash sometimes. SWeemed like the handshake for seeing interface would make it crash.
I only read ^this far so forgive me but what is Apollo control, the SC mixer or the SC driver interface? I ask because if it is the drier interface and ASIO, you should always switch to it through reaper via the ASIO config button when reaper is running. I can explain why later but it is important.

Secondly, the action explained is in that same area even if the SC mixer, aka which option do you have enabled in reaper when it comes to letting go of the sound card when Reaper loses focus? Based on what it is and what you change it to might offer some relief regardless of the underlying issue.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:17 PM   #3
Faderjockey

No.. Apollo control is the App that controls your monitoring and cue/phones mixes for Apollo.. like in the RME I had TotalMix or Focusrite uses their software interface etc..

When I had that open which you use like I said to load plugins or whatever while you track..then you flip back to Reaper it would crash sometimes.

Now on this other drive I'm testing with that isn't happening..I've had other crashes
But flipping between those is one thing that's working "Famous last words"

But it's one of those things I'm having a hard time making Reaper crash the same.. It's little random and Def less crashes on this test drive then my main.. I think I'm just going to reformat the main drive and try again with fingers crossed on everything going well. Win10 updates always make me nervous but that Win10Pro I have may need an update in order for Thunderbolt to work..can't remember at this point..I'll see
Old 01-03-2018, 01:21 PM   #4
Faderjockey

I just said Famous last words..LOL

and it crashed.. Soon as I opened Apollo console and clicked on a Ampeg plugin and then went back to Reaper it crashed the session and quit.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:42 PM   #5
Faderjockey

Update if anyone else jumps in..

If I open Reaper and then a session then minimize Reaper then maximize it again it quits.

any answers? It says it's a windows issue I don't care but I can't figure how to fix it. It was on both these installs. I may uninstall this 5.70 and roll back to 5.62 and see if it still doing it..

Any help would be great thanks!!
Old 01-03-2018, 03:09 PM   #6
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey View Post
Update if anyone else jumps in..

If I open Reaper and then a session then minimize Reaper then maximize it again it quits.

any answers? It says it's a windows issue I don't care but I can't figure how to fix it. It was on both these installs. I may uninstall this 5.70 and roll back to 5.62 and see if it still doing it..

Any help would be great thanks!!
I think the thing I was hinting at still matters, when you minimize you are changing focus and when that occurs Reaper needs to decide if it lets go of the sound card or holds on to it based on which option you have set in Reaper's prefs. Since it crashes when you switch between, that hand off between SC mixer and Reaper is going south due to some access violation or handle that was invalidated during the switch, hence the crash so again, how to you have Reaper currently set to handle focus changes? That may not fix it but it might buy you some time.

I'm sure you have latest drivers because you are good like that but sanity check it because it's a little smelly in that area and a crash report wouldn't hurt if one exists.