Old 03-17-2018, 06:19 AM   #1
moderneagle15
Human being with feelings

Default Need Some Help with Video Window

Hello everyone,

I am fairly new to using Reaper.
I am trying to get a video to play through reaper for film scoring but always end up with a the audio on the track with a black video screen window.

I am running Windows 10 64x with Reaper 5 64x and I have also installed VLC 2.2 in 64x format. I even installed the FFMPEG builds from the aegis site (latest build 2012 64x)

Regardless of container type (mp4, mpeg, mov, etc.) I get the same result. Whether the encoder is FFMPEG or VLC I get a black video screen.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.
moderneagle15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:45 PM   #2
moderneagle15
Human being with feelings

Default Solved Issue (Unique to Windows 10)

Hello,

I figured out what was happening. An issue unique to Windows 10 users who may have had issues with the graphics driver update.

I am running Windows 10 and previously had an issue where the graphics driver update would send the screen to a second monitor (whether you have one or not) causing a black screen if you only have one monitor.

I had to block this update from automatically installing by enabling a gpegit.msc policy block on the driver update.

This affected my graphics driver and so when it came time to use VLC again I could not use it.

The solution was to remove the policy block and allow a revised update of the graphics driver to install automatically (now it no longer has the before-mentioned issue of the invisible second monitor). Once the graphics driver was updated VLC ran smoothly and I could see the video window once again.
moderneagle15 is offline   Reply With Quote