Old 02-16-2018, 09:32 AM   #1
WorldofNoise
Human being with feelings

Default Bootcamp

Hello,

I have a Late 2016 MacBook Pro i7 2.6 Quad, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD, that I'm thinking of using bootcamp on, as I continuously read Reaper works better under Windows.

Can anyone tell me if they've used Reaper in bootcamp and gained any performance or stability? Does this improve the graphic performance with a retina display? Thunderbolt still work as expected? I'd be using Windows 10 Pro.

Thanks!
WorldofNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:24 PM   #2
minotaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldofNoise View Post
Hello,

I have a Late 2016 MacBook Pro i7 2.6 Quad, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD, that I'm thinking of using bootcamp on, as I continuously read Reaper works better under Windows.

Can anyone tell me if they've used Reaper in bootcamp and gained any performance or stability? Does this improve the graphic performance with a retina display? Thunderbolt still work as expected? I'd be using Windows 10 Pro.

Thanks!
Late 2015 MBP here, 2.4Ghz, 16Gb ram, 256Gb SSD, boot camp with win10. Yes, the graphic response is genuinely faster. A user made a very good comparison video of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmdIOlI81Fg
A few times it's annoying. If you have a mouse with built-in double click, that might not work as well as on Windows. Dragging elements, composing midi notes in the editor sometimes requires two motion instead of one, as the grabbed item does not entirely follow the mouse. That's the worst I encountered so far, but honestly it's not that annoying.
It's probably useful to mention that I'm using Reaper only for audio, no video.

That said, OSX's way of handling the USB ports is way better than Windows'. I find having problems connecting the same amount of USB periphery on windows. I reboot it on OSX and it works just fine. (Have no Thunderbolt hardware.)
Oh, and for me bootcamp heats up the MBP chassis horribly, it's almost constantly on full cooling cycle, which is not only annoying cause it's loud, but also not very economic on your laptop. I still recommend OSX to be honest.

Last edited by minotaur; 03-13-2018 at 06:07 PM. Reason: secondary thoughts
minotaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:54 PM   #3
BenK-msx

i switched from win to mac and wasn't a fan of noticably slower gui initially as was slight surprise, but have frankly forgotten about it now, i do have blurry mouse cursors which i should be able to fix but haven't been concerned enough to invesitage.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:13 AM   #4
serr

I tried that a few years ago after reading the same things. Reaper was clearly snappier with OSX. However, it was Windows XP I tried at that time and I didn't do any tweaking. I see more comments that claim the opposite - Windows having faster GUI response.

My focus is audio so I'll take any GUI lags vs losing stability if that's the case now. And I'm just not going to buy a newer Windows install for an experiment. If I had some Windows only plugin that I just had to demo, I'd launch the Windows version of Reaper with Wine in OSX.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:53 AM   #5
Futur8me

Windows 10 on my iMac runs Reapers GUI loads smoother then on macOS 10.13.3.., I do not mind using windows 10 but prefer using macOS, both the GUIs of Logic Pro X and FL Studio on macOS are butter smooth so it is possible, after using those programs then using Reaper on macOS you really noticed the horrible lag.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:07 AM   #6
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futur8me View Post
...both the GUIs of Logic Pro X and FL Studio on macOS are butter smooth so it is possible, after using those programs then using Reaper on macOS you really noticed the horrible lag..
How does the audio performance compare? CPU use etc.?
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:15 AM   #7
Futur8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
How does the audio performance compare? CPU use etc.?

On my iMac the i7 6700k runs everything easy.., FL Studio running the exact same VSTs as I have in Reaper is about the same CPU use.., 1 or 3% difference.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:23 AM   #8
Judders

Quote:
On my iMac the i7 6700k runs everything easy.., FL Studio running the exact same VSTs as I have in Reaper is about the same CPU use.., 1 or 3% difference.

Cool, thanks.

Is FL all vector GUI now?
Old 03-14-2018, 10:27 AM   #9
Futur8me

Quote:
Cool, thanks.

Is FL all vector GUI now?

Yes it is.., its quite amazing to see and use.., pure eye candy, everything is movable and resizable.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:30 AM   #10
Judders

Quote:
Yes it is.., its quite amazing to see and use.., pure eye candy, everything is movable and resizable.

That is impressive.

I wonder how that would work with older machines... one of the big selling points of REAPER is backwards compatibility.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:38 AM   #11
Futur8me

Quote:
That is impressive.

I wonder how that would work with older machines... one of the big selling points of REAPER is backwards compatibility.

Yes.., but I guess it depends on how old do you mean?.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:43 AM   #12
Judders

Quote:
Yes.., but I guess it depends on how old do you mean?.

Well, for instance REAPER will still work on old PPC Macs, you can open REAPER projects from years ago (something not possible with Logic, for example).

The low system overhead makes it perfect for people with old and underpowered machines.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:35 AM   #13
Futur8me

Quote:
Well, for instance REAPER will still work on old PPC Macs, you can open REAPER projects from years ago (something not possible with Logic, for example).

The low system overhead makes it perfect for people with old and underpowered machines.

ok I understand.., but wouldn't updating reapers graphics for macOS be more to do with whether your graphics card can handle it rather than to do with not being able to open old projects from long time ago..?, meaning use an older less graphics intensive version of Reaper on older machines but on a newer computer use the newest version of Reaper and you can still open those old projects.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:44 AM   #14
Judders

Quote:
ok I understand.., but wouldn't updating reapers graphics for macOS be more to do with whether your graphics card can handle it rather than to do with not being able to open old projects from long time ago..?, meaning use an older less graphics intensive version of Reaper on older machines but on a newer computer use the newest version of Reaper and you can still open those old projects.

Yes, but it appears that both are important to the REAPER devs.