Old 03-27-2021, 02:50 PM   #1
Newman
Human being with feelings

Default Any Point In Buying A New Audio Interface?

Hi,
I have been using a Mackie Onyx 400f for a longggg time. Anyone familiar with it?

It is a relatively cheap interface, and works fine. It has 4 mic pres, 4 line in, 2 "guitar" inputs, 8 line out, 2 headphone jacks, and is firewire. I think it was around 400 bucks.

So I'm wondering if it's time for something new. I would want something with the same amount of connectivity. One thing that would be nice, maybe, would be an interface that is a controller/mixer, but I suppose that might be a lot more expensive.

If I were to get something new at around the same price, what would I gain? Anything? Or would it be worse? A lateral move? I suppose I would need a new computer, too. Would life be better, and recordings more awesome...or would it just be new for the sake of new?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 03:03 PM   #2
Winfield

If it aint broke dont fix it
I don't know your model of interface, but as some general rules of thump
- the interface should have ASIO drivers (and you should use them).
- Any (newer-ish) interface (that is set up properly) is not a barrier for great recordings/mixes - and is way down on the list of problems to fix first.
Winfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 04:39 PM   #3
PsychoCircuitry

Agreed wholeheartedly with Winfield. If it's working for you and your setup and theres no complaints with the results you're getting from it, probably not worth it. Marginal improvements in snr, ein, converter precision in a new interface? Maybe. But these things tend to hold way more power on a tech spec data sheet than real world implications. I'd say upgrade when you are forced to either thru equipment failure or unless you encounter a specific problem. Just my opinion.
PsychoCircuitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:32 AM   #4
martifingers

Yes I agree. Currently my main interface is a M-audio 1010 now hopelessly obsolete but operates just fine and within the other limits on audio (mics, per-amps, room treatment etc.) seems not to be a significant weak link.
BTW I love the idea of winfield's "rules of thump"... presumably for heavy metal especially? 😉
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:51 AM   #5
Coachz

These are just tools like a hammer. Use whatever tools you need to get your job done.

Coachz Repo
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:53 AM   #6
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winfield View Post
rules of thump
classic!
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:48 AM   #7
Winfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
classic!
Lol, yeah that was a typo, but seeing it i would perhaps change the 'h' - these are great rules, we have the best rules.
Winfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:33 AM   #8
Coachz

Coachz Repo
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 10:37 AM   #9
dna598

I concur with the "if it ain't broke" philosophy. However, if you were to look elsewhere, I recommend splashing out on anything by RME for the ultimate in "ain't broke".
dna598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 10:53 AM   #10
vdubreeze

I think it would hinge on what your current computer and OS is. Are they pretty old or not so old? And what your next computer would be and when you would do that upgrade. If you're not on the way to upgrading soon it makes sense to wait. Especially if you want the same amount of connectivity. it's the bump up of connectivity options that really make an upgrade attractive and an entry in to new things. A newer low cost interface with the same features not so much.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:10 PM   #11
jnorman34

I buy a new interface every 3 years, regardless. I can’t afford to have anything fail on me during a session so I regularly update each piece of gear including my computer. I highly recommend the focusrite 18i8 and clarett 4pre.
jnorman34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 12:08 AM   #12
ivansc

I bought my two rme interfaces used years ago.
Both have worked impeccably well since then (earlyish 2000s) and because I have two, I am safe...

I woudl suggest you stay with what you got, unless you really need 100% reliability of your system down to a one-day limit (grin) which only really seems to apply if you are a real "pro".

I am also on the same computer from back then, although the laptop is from about 2012 I think.

I do find it quite funny seeing people spend a fortune on going for the newest greatest when they really don`t need it.
FYI my studio machine is an i7 quad 4770 with 16gb of memory. One of the drives is an SSD, the rest are WD Blacks.
Laptop is a i5 dual 3210M with 8gb and a pair of SSD drives.

Both do a great job within the limits of what I need them for. YMMV.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:01 PM   #13
g4greg

The onyx is still a good home studio interface. If the latency is decent, I don't see the need for a new one. Pre 2010 cheap interfaces (like entry level M-Audios) DID have quite bad preamps and converters compared to nowadays.. But since 2010, you need to shell out a looooot of dough to hear a difference. And Even then, it's quite minimal.

I upgraded to an Audient from a Sapphire 1.1 a while back.. And yes, there is a difference in sound, but I mostly updated because of latency.

The Onyx preamps are quite transparent, so honestly, if it's fast enough, I'd hang on to it.

Of course, if you need more inputs, that's another story.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:53 PM   #14
eq1

fyi, here's a link to an SOS review of that unit: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/mackie-onyx-400f

I didn't read it, just skimmed a few things, looks like a decent unit... Oh yeah, I'm far from an expert on these things, but I use an old E-MU 1616 and looked into 'upgrading' some time ago. It seemed like anything offering even remotely similar in-out versatility, quality, etc., was way more expensive these days. It might be a similar case with your Mackie unit...
eq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 04:02 PM   #15
g4greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq1 View Post
fyi, here's a link to an SOS review of that unit: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/mackie-onyx-400f
I just realized this was a firewire unit. If you have to change computers down the road, THIS will be your undoing. Not the preamps or functionnality.

The unit in itself is fine.. the way it connects to the CPU... might not be available nowadays...
Old 04-02-2021, 04:40 PM   #16
Newman

Thank you all for the feedback.

With the 400f, I do find the latency somewhat annoying, in that I have to adjust the buffer depending...to play a vsti, I have to lower the buffer, disable effects in the DAW, etc. Doesn't seem very swift...but has that really been solved with newer interfaces?
Old 04-03-2021, 02:07 AM   #17
g4greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
Thank you all for the feedback.

With the 400f, I do find the latency somewhat annoying, in that I have to adjust the buffer depending...to play a vsti, I have to lower the buffer, disable effects in the DAW, etc. Doesn't seem very swift...but has that really been solved with newer interfaces?
see, that's usually down to how fast your processor is and how much memory you have. But then, if you upgrade your computer, the firewire interface won't work with newer boxes.

Vicious circle.

And yeah, firewire IS in theory very fast, but is also very finicky and can end up not being tat fast. USB, even 2.0 is more than enough to handle audio. Audio is quite light compared to video.
Old 04-03-2021, 02:21 PM   #18
Newman

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4greg View Post
see, that's usually down to how fast your processor is and how much memory you have. But then, if you upgrade your computer, the firewire interface won't work with newer boxes.

Vicious circle.

And yeah, firewire IS in theory very fast, but is also very finicky and can end up not being tat fast. USB, even 2.0 is more than enough to handle audio. Audio is quite light compared to video.
So with a newer system, you can leave your buffer at a low setting and have imperceptible latency, set it and forget it...and load up effects and tracks, etc?
Old 04-03-2021, 06:22 PM   #19
g4greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
So with a newer system, you can leave your buffer at a low setting and have imperceptible latency, set it and forget it...and load up effects and tracks, etc?
Having a new computer doesn't solve all latency problems, especially if you pile VSTis on a ton of tracks.. But I'm gonna say this: My older laptop (which is 8 years old now) could deal with everything I threw at it music wise once I upgrated its memory. Granted, I don't use a ton of vstis, but I do use some and have complex mixes.

And latency was never a problem with my usb 2.0 card.

The reason I updated was video streaming. Video is so much more demanding. But yeah, my new laptop has unholy latency response...

Honestly though, a post 2010 i5 or i7 with buttloads of memory (I have 16gb) and a cheap usb card can go a long way. I never touched my latency settings, unless I was dealing with video.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:09 PM   #20
Newman

Quote:
Having a new computer doesn't solve all latency problems, especially if you pile VSTis on a ton of tracks.. But I'm gonna say this: My older laptop (which is 8 years old now) could deal with everything I threw at it music wise once I upgrated its memory. Granted, I don't use a ton of vstis, but I do use some and have complex mixes.

And latency was never a problem with my usb 2.0 card.

The reason I updated was video streaming. Video is so much more demanding. But yeah, my new laptop has unholy latency response...

Honestly though, a post 2010 i5 or i7 with buttloads of memory (I have 16gb) and a cheap usb card can go a long way. I never touched my latency settings, unless I was dealing with video.
Thanks.

Any recommendations on a new computer that is, uh, inexpensive? I've been using an ancient HP, and it has been generally fine, but I suppose it would be nice to get something more up to date.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:09 PM   #21
Beat Machine

Default I couldnt give mine away

since they discontinued firewire your interface is a brick the resale value is nil

I had 2 1616s chained together they were about 400 each but thats like 7 years ago.

you wont get the same bang for your buck these days, and NEVER buy an interface w/o direct monitoring

you will get better signal to noise ratio and less noise and possibly better definition (unless u buy m-audio)
.....mackie have some noisy pre-amps

the reality is this is probably an it isnt broken so dont try to fix it situation

even if your mixes were 20% better would it change your life?
Beat Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:12 PM   #22
Beat Machine

Default p.s.

the problem your haveing is due to a lack of memory in the computer
the D.A.W. wont affect fx handling. computers generally get bogged down over time ,...

but if you replace the computer you probably will replace the interface
so back to square 1
Beat Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 01:26 AM   #23
Geoff-h3o

Default FireWire not quite dead🙂🙂

There are still PCI cards.... Unless you're using a laptop
Geoff-h3o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:23 AM   #24
hardplay

If it works then leave it all as it is, i still use 2 EWS88MT's in sync on a win 7 64 bit machine for recording, i then i have a Phase 88 rack FW as a demo station in the live room ! They all work a treat! With that money treat yourself to some nice equipment you don't have !
Old 04-11-2021, 01:28 PM   #25
eq1

Quote:
...Honestly though, a post 2010 i5 or i7 with buttloads of memory (I have 16gb) and a cheap usb card can go a long way.
Just in case you're still paying attention, and feel like chiming-in...

I have a ~2009 i7, can't remember if that's first generation or second or what, but I think it's one of the earliest. Can you say anything about what changed after 2010 that makes an earlier one not make your cut?

As far as I can tell I haven't had any issues...

It's an i7 920 'Bloomfield', 1366 LGA 'package', 45 nm, 1.12V, 2.67GHz. I have 9 Gb of RAM...
Old 04-11-2021, 10:49 PM   #26
g4greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq1 View Post
Just in case you're still paying attention, and feel like chiming-in...

I have a ~2009 i7, can't remember if that's first generation or second or what, but I think it's one of the earliest. Can you say anything about what changed after 2010 that makes an earlier one not make your cut?

As far as I can tell I haven't had any issues...

It's an i7 920 'Bloomfield', 1366 LGA 'package', 45 nm, 1.12V, 2.67GHz. I have 9 Gb of RAM...
TBH, 2010 was just a approximate year.

What I meant to say was that the i7s (and a bit more recent i5s) of yesteryear are still potent FOR MUSIC nowadays, as long as you have enough memory and a relatively decent interface.

Audio has not been very taxing for a computer for a very, very long time now.

Of course, if you use a truckload of VSTis (especially synths and some emulators) that use cpu cycles... You miiiiight need a faster processor.

Or if you work for the movie/game/TV industry and need to sync audio with video....

But basically, a faster rig won't noticeably improve your latency.

memory does, and An SSd does when you're playing with a bazillion tracks at the same time.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:55 PM   #27
eq1

^ OK, thanks. Your general summary is just about what I've thought/come to conclude.