Old 06-26-2022, 02:17 AM   #1
ajaym
Human being with feelings

Default Native Instruments.... arrggh

So... I migrate everything to a new laptop. Try and load a project with Battery 4 and it says the samples are missing. Fair enough, they are now on drive D:. I point it there and everything loads. Resave the project and.... reload and it's forgotten where the samples were.

Ok, fine. Delete the files in the user battery 4 prefs folder as NI suggests. It gets rebuilt but with the samples in the wrong path still.

Uninstall and reinstall Battery AND the sample library from Native Access. I'm not asked where I want anything to go, and after reinstalling it STILL thinks the samples are somewhere where they aren't.

I think Native have just become lazy and complacent with their dominant industry position. Their products have terrible UIs, often non-resizable, non-standard and weird user interfaces, and.... it's just so frustrating. I mean, it started with finding that they expect you to download 500G of stuff EVERY time you want to install - you CAN fool their software into creating local copies of the installers by hacking with Windows file permissions, but seriously?...

I'm just so glad Reaper keeps soldiering on. Yes, there are frustrations with the UI (why, oh why, can't you save MIDI merge for plugins as a global preference, for instance, rather than 'replace') but I don't think I've ever really had Reaper get confused over many years of use. And you can customise the UI in so many ways!.

It's a shame that so many smaller vendors got crowded out of the market. But this is what happens over time, and then the dominant player has no incentive to actually improve their products, since you have very little choice as a consumer.
ajaym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 02:42 AM   #2
ajaym

Eventually I had to copy the sample folder to the bogus path that Battery was convinced it was at, then remove the plugin from my project and add it back. This was the only way to get things working again.
ajaym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 05:31 PM   #3
Quasar

NI's switch from the old Service Center to Native Access remains the most terrible thing to ever happen in the history of sample libraries, on so many levels...
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 01:16 AM   #4
Fleeesch

Dealing with path errors has always been a dealbreaker for me when it comes to VST samplers. I kinda get the feeling that this is an issue that most developers don't take serious enough, or maybe their hands are just tied because of plugin standard limitations.

Things got easier as I started using Renoise Redux for percussive stuff. Stores all the sample data within the project file. Can be either a good or a bad thing, depending on your workflow.
Fleeesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 02:22 AM   #5
hexSPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleeesch View Post
Dealing with path errors has always been a dealbreaker for me when it comes to VST samplers. I kinda get the feeling that this is an issue that most developers don't take serious enough, or maybe their hands are just tied because of plugin standard limitations.

Things got easier as I started using Renoise Redux for percussive stuff. Stores all the sample data within the project file. Can be either a good or a bad thing, depending on your workflow.
What do you like most about Redux? I have the demo but never cottoned on to renoise because its routing is too limited.
hexSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 02:43 AM   #6
Fleeesch

It's actually the fact that sample data is immediately stored in the plugin instance and that's it. From there on it's destructive editing, with full undo support nonetheless.

Also, very tight pc keyboard integration. At least in Reaper. Never accidentally triggered something by pressing a false button, keyboard input goes straight into the VST. Highly important for longer editing sessions.

And it does sample. Like, THE process of no-nonsense sampling everybody keeps asking about, me included.
Fleeesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 12:35 PM   #7
hexSPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleeesch View Post
It's actually the fact that sample data is immediately stored in the plugin instance and that's it. From there on it's destructive editing, with full undo support nonetheless.

Also, very tight pc keyboard integration. At least in Reaper. Never accidentally triggered something by pressing a false button, keyboard input goes straight into the VST. Highly important for longer editing sessions.

And it does sample. Like, THE process of no-nonsense sampling everybody keeps asking about, me included.
Cool, thanks.
hexSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 12:40 PM   #8
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaym View Post
I'm not asked where I want anything to go, and after reinstalling it STILL thinks the samples are somewhere where they aren't.
Before installing, go to NA preferences and change Content Path to where you want samples to be. Then install. You can change this content path before any install, and it will be remembered per product.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:46 PM   #9
airon

Good to know, thank you.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote