Old 12-13-2018, 12:21 PM   #1
birdman
Human being with feelings

Default Another great mystery of life

I open project #1. I record a vocal track. I save and close the project.

I open project #2, a completely separate project. The vocal track I just recorded on project #1 has also recorded on project #2 over top of the existing vocal.

The only thing I can figure out is that I am doing something wrong in saving or closing the first project. It gets a little maddening after it happens a few times.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:08 PM   #2
lunker

Are both projects saving their recordings to the same directory, and are you using the same file name for both projects (e.g., "vocals.wav")?

If so, put the projects into separate directories, so that files don't overwrite each other.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:32 PM   #3
birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post
Are both projects saving their recordings to the same directory, and are you using the same file name for both projects (e.g., "vocals.wav")?

If so, put the projects into separate directories, so that files don't overwrite each other.

Tak sa mycket, Lunker! I save them to a general "project file" under the project name, like Project 1, Project 2, etc. I find it confusing when I want to close a project file im working on because Reaper keeps asking about saving it. Part of the confusion is that I have so many files under the same project name and in different directories, that to find the most current saved file can be really difficult. Can you tell me do i need to save the project before closing, then also 'close' the project before opening another project? I "save as", go to close it then Reaper asks again if i want to save it.
I really think my filing system is not set up correctly, and am going to have to listen to kenny's video again on setting up files.
Bill
Old 12-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #4
lunker

Hee's what I do.

Create a separate directory for each project. Like

D:\Reaper Files\Song #1\Take1.rpp

D:\Reaper Files\Song #2\Take1.rpp
D:\Reaper Files\Song #2\Take2.rpp
D:\Reaper Files\Song #2\Final.rpp

etc.

Somewhere there is an option to save the Media files in the project directory. I'm not at my Reaper PC right now, but if you can't find it someone else will probably have the answer right away. Or check the user guide (https://www.reaper.fm/userguide/Reap...Guide5961d.pdf) -- it's in there somewhere.

Also, try not to use generic file names (if you are). There is an option to add a timestamp to the files, so that "vocals.wav" gets unique-ified by the exact date/time you recorded it. (Again, not at my Reaper PC, but it's in the manual I think.) I use that option, and it certainly helps me keep track of which file I am using.

I use all three of those techniques, and find it is pretty easy to keep track of the files (as long as I use better directory names than "Song #1", "Song #2", !!!)

The basic idea is that the media files (MIDI, WAV, etc.) reside in the project directory, so are always easy to find. And each "Song" has a separate directory, so that the number of files in the project directory doesn't become overwhelming.

Last edited by lunker; 12-13-2018 at 01:50 PM.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:07 AM   #5
birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post
Hee's what I do.

Create a separate directory for each project. Like

D:\Reaper Files\Song #1\Take1.rpp

D:\Reaper Files\Song #2\Take1.rpp
D:\Reaper Files\Song #2\Take2.rpp
D:\Reaper Files\Song #2\Final.rpp

etc.

Somewhere there is an option to save the Media files in the project directory. I'm not at my Reaper PC right now, but if you can't find it someone else will probably have the answer right away. Or check the user guide (https://www.reaper.fm/userguide/Reap...Guide5961d.pdf) -- it's in there somewhere.

Also, try not to use generic file names (if you are). There is an option to add a timestamp to the files, so that "vocals.wav" gets unique-ified by the exact date/time you recorded it. (Again, not at my Reaper PC, but it's in the manual I think.) I use that option, and it certainly helps me keep track of which file I am using.

I use all three of those techniques, and find it is pretty easy to keep track of the files (as long as I use better directory names than "Song #1", "Song #2", !!!)

The basic idea is that the media files (MIDI, WAV, etc.) reside in the project directory, so are always easy to find. And each "Song" has a separate directory, so that the number of files in the project directory doesn't become overwhelming.

thank you so much!