Old 12-05-2018, 09:40 AM   #1
Xaos
Human being with feelings

Default Phase invert one side of stereo track?

Is there an easy way to invert the phase of one side of a stereo track in REAPER? The only way I can find to do it is to split it into two mono tracks, invert one, then make them stereo again. I guess I could create a custom action to do this, but it seems like there should already be a way to do it since it's a common way of dealing with phase cancellation issues.

I searched the forums and did my best to find a JSFX plugin that does it, but didn't find anything.

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2018, 10:02 AM   #2
ashcat_lt

JS Stereo Volume/Pan/Polarity control will do it. It's a bit more complex than you need, but I guess gives you more utilitarian tools for adjusting the stereo image.

A JS that just inverts whatever comes through it - on as many channels as you want - would be preset simple to write. You'd control which channels are affected with the plugin routing pins.

I think it would be super neat if we had this right at the Plugin pins, and I think I'll go make a feature request about it. (Edit - So I did)

Last edited by ashcat_lt; 12-05-2018 at 10:51 AM.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 02:29 AM   #3
Xaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
JS Stereo Volume/Pan/Polarity control will do it. It's a bit more complex than you need, but I guess gives you more utilitarian tools for adjusting the stereo image.

A JS that just inverts whatever comes through it - on as many channels as you want - would be preset simple to write. You'd control which channels are affected with the plugin routing pins.

I think it would be super neat if we had this right at the Plugin pins, and I think I'll go make a feature request about it. (Edit - So I did)
That's great to know. There seems to b be a JSFX plugin for just about everything. It's just a matter of know which one of the thousand or so you need for the task!

That's a little more functionality/complication than I want to deal with. I can just through a Pro-Q2 or just about any EQ on a channel that needs a phase flip on one side and do it with a click. Most tracks that need it are gonna have a plugin that can do it anyway. I just figured there must have been some simple button or modifier key I was missing in the TCP. Like, Cmd+Phase invert to just flip one side. Thanks for making the FR! Seems like it would be easy for them to implement it as a alternate function of the existing button. Fingers crossed. Been awfully quiet on the update front. I think they're working on great stuff for v6!
Old 12-21-2018, 04:17 PM   #4
vdubreeze

There are several free plugins that will flip the phase of one side of stereo, among the other things they do. Venn Audio's Utility for one.

https://www.vennaudio.com/utility/
Old 12-23-2018, 09:04 PM   #5
vdubreeze

Actually, for simplicity, the Jesusonic plugin "StereoPhaseInvert (stereo channel polarity control)" does exactly that, inverts both or one side of a stereo track, and nothing more : )