Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-30-2017, 06:44 AM   #1
Guerrilla Music LLC
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper + OBS + virtual audio cable/Voicemeeter signal chain confusion

Hello and thanks in advance for all constructive input.

My goal is to create a tutorial video in OBS (record it only, no live streaming) documenting my music production process. I want to capture the audio tracks being recorded and playing back in Reaper, along with real-time commentary via microphone input. My audio interface is a Steinberg UR44, which has its own ASIO driver. I am running Windows 10 Pro 64. I have both Voicemeeter Banana and VB audio cables installed.

Unless someone deems it useful, I will spare you the configurations I have attempted. Suffice to say they have all failed. Can anyone break down what my signal chain should look like?

Log file -- https://gist.github.com/fdc0bd91b626...6519cb9d811390
Guerrilla Music LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:01 AM   #2
cfillion

Have you tried the UR's loopback feature? You could have the audio going out of REAPER copied to the matching input channels that OBS can then receive.

Last edited by cfillion; 12-30-2017 at 07:11 AM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:41 AM   #3
Guerrilla Music LLC

I got it working, thanks.

Last edited by Guerrilla Music LLC; 12-30-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:35 AM   #4
Guerrilla Music LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
Have you tried the UR's loopback feature? You could have the audio going out of REAPER copied to the matching input channels that OBS can then receive.

Back again. I seem to be missing a step to get this fully implemented. Are virtual cables necessary?
Old 12-11-2018, 06:50 AM   #5
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Back again. I seem to be missing a step to get this fully implemented. Are virtual cables necessary?

ello-no,you do not need any extra cables...just switch your reaper driver to wave output and you should be gtg.
obs records directsound or wave,but you can hax it to rec asio streams as well..kinda.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:20 AM   #6
Guerrilla Music LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
ello-no,you do not need any extra cables...just switch your reaper driver to wave output and you should be gtg.
obs records directsound or wave,but you can hax it to rec asio streams as well..kinda.
Thanks for the input. For simple playback from Reaper, it seems that would work. But I am doing live recording with MIDI input triggering VSTs. I don't believe that is possible if I switch the driver to wave out. Does that throw a wrench into things?

Last edited by Guerrilla Music LLC; 12-11-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:32 AM   #7
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the input.

yep=no worriezz.. you should be ok.
as far your latency goes,well that could be a concern if set too high for smooth monitoring or playbacks with lots of vst/weak pc.
there is apparently options to actually load vst in obs itself (untested here,+you need to copy dll files for that to work)
can only further suggest further experimentations,your end.
make sure you also check all windows playback+recording devices are set correct rates+ speaker channels set correct+ advanced audio properties in obs- check everything twice,until you got it going==save setup.

glhf!
Old 12-11-2018, 09:10 AM   #8
azslow3

If you want record REAPER in ASIO mode and do not have RME...

1) Install ReaRoute (an option when you install REAPER)
2) Install ASIO for OBS https://github.com/pkviet/obs-asio
3) Add ASIO Inputs into OBS scene, for that:
3.1) close REAPER
3.2) Open OBS
3.3) Add ASIO input and open its configuration
3.4) Select UR44, un-check "Active"
3.5) Select ReaRoute, check "Active", select channels and format
3.6) Close OBS
4) Configure REAPER to feed ReaRoute:
4.1) start REAPER
4.2) add hardware Send to ReaRoute channels you have specified in OBS to the track you want record in OBS
4.3) if you want record Mic separately, make a separate track for it, set "Record, Monitor only" mode, enable Monitor and hardware send to ReaRoute
5) Start OBS
6) Start playing something in REAPER, you should see ASIO input monitoring in OBS indicate there is some signal
7) Start recording...

I recommend to follow the list verbatim, without skipping "close" and "open" steps
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:43 PM   #9
Guerrilla Music LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post

3.1) close REAPER
3.2) Open OBS
3.6) Close OBS
4.1) start REAPER
4.2) add hardware Send to ReaRoute channels you have specified in OBS to the track you want record in OBS
4.3) if you want record Mic separately, make a separate track for it, set "Record, Monitor only" mode, enable Monitor and hardware send to ReaRoute
5) Start OBS
6) Start playing something in REAPER, you should see ASIO input monitoring in OBS indicate there is some signal
7) Start recording...

I recommend to follow the list verbatim, without skipping "close" and "open" steps
This is my first order of business when I get in tonight. Thank you. Will report back.

Also, will the above steps allow me to port the feed from the microphone directly into OBS (bypassing REAPER, so as to avoid affecting the mix of the music tracks)?
Old 12-11-2018, 02:03 PM   #10
Guerrilla Music LLC

I should add that I do have a 2nd UR44 interface available that I could incorporate into the mix, if that would be useful. I am thinking that I could use that as the input for the microphone, to avoid mixing that feed in with the recording session in Reaper. Then I'd just need to mix the two feeds in OBS: (the music [once i get that sorted] and the mic).
Old 12-11-2018, 02:24 PM   #11
Bri1
Banned

heh-are we having fun yet ?
any problemz?
+yes-you can also use that 2nd interface-
for £178,765,872.72 i could give you this closely guarded secret!
Old 12-11-2018, 02:34 PM   #12
Guerrilla Music LLC

Quote:
any problemz?
OK
Haven't got home yet to fire everything up, but will be doing so ASAP. Once I get this working I might weep for joy.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:45 PM   #13
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Once I get this working I might weep for joy.
lol-reap,you mean?
^you will,with patience+knowledge+practical experiences.
make sure you pick up a box of tissues on the way home...
(you may return,possibly with newer questions!!) =yaaay! =)
Old 12-11-2018, 05:09 PM   #14
Guerrilla Music LLC

Quote:

3.1) close REAPER
3.2) Open OBS
3.6) Close OBS
4.1) start REAPER
5) Start OBS
7) Start recording...

Step 3.3 "Add ASIO input..."
I am unclear on how exactly to do this. In OBS, I added an "Audio input capture" as a source, but ASIO was not presented as an option. Instead, I get the attached list. Any thoughts? Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Add Audio Input SOURCE options.jpg (37.0 KB, 372 views)
Old 12-11-2018, 08:27 PM   #15
Guerrilla Music LLC

Quote:
any problemz?
I assumed you were serious/credible and attempted to run both interfaces. I'm dealing with the aftermath of that now, in addition to my original issue remaining unsolved.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:13 AM   #16
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla Music LLC View Post
Step 3.3 "Add ASIO input..."
I am unclear on how exactly to do this. In OBS, I added an "Audio input capture" as a source, but ASIO was not presented as an option. Instead, I get the attached list. Any thoughts? Thank you.
If ASIO for OBS is installed correctly, there will be an extra "ASIO Input" source in OBS. So check/understand why it is not there.

For Mic I have already recommended a separate track with "Monitor only" option. So it will not be recorded in REAPER and you can feed it to ReaRoute without leaks into REAPER mix.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:18 AM   #17
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
I assumed you were serious
ello- oh? what you mean the money? of course! paypal is fine if your a nigerian prince by any chance? lol.

seems you might have missed step 2-installation.
try this link and run the .exe

i have 4 interfaces, and have run at least 3 all at once before(not using obs though tbh) =possibles.
check the obs forums/blogs/youtube postings for further experiences by others.
follow instructions to the letter in most cases.
latency will be a problem,trust.

cheerz.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:52 AM   #18
Guerrilla Music LLC

Quote:
ello- oh? what you mean the money? of course! paypal is fine if your a nigerian prince by any chance? lol.

seems you might have missed step 2-installation.
try this link and run the .exe

i have 4 interfaces, and have run at least 3 all at once before(not using obs though tbh) =possibles.
check the obs forums/blogs/youtube postings for further experiences by others.
follow instructions to the letter in most cases.
latency will be a problem,trust.

cheerz.
I may have grabbed the wrong file from the repository. I just used the link you provided and will update with results. Thank you, and apologies for the frustration.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:08 AM   #19
Bri1
Banned

heh- prepare to weep as you reap.
you may be messing around with settings for minutes,hours,days-possibly weeks-- but just be certain you will get results of some kind.

i cherish mottos - "be prepared" "we train to serve" "who dares wins" "love for all,hatred for none" "the possibilities are infinite" =)
Old 12-12-2018, 06:09 AM   #20
Guerrilla Music LLC

Quote:
I may have grabbed the wrong file from the repository. I just used the link you provided and will update with results. Thank you, and apologies for the frustration.
I installed the linked file, and upon opening OBS, was informed that an update was available. I assume the ASIO capability is not version dependent (as in, it is OK to update to the latest version of OBS without losing ASIO functionality?)
Old 12-12-2018, 06:34 AM   #21
Bri1
Banned

you should be fine- as a precaution- try to get into habit of making system restore points before you go making any game changing system updates or upgrades-- so you can roll back to before failures.
sometimes- experimenting is the only way of finding out some stuff.
most programmes can easily be uninstalled,or deleted,with a fresh install afterwards-normally fine,but there are cases of registry changes that still take effect even so.
ok?
Old 12-12-2018, 06:41 AM   #22
Guerrilla Music LLC

Quote:

3.1) close REAPER
3.2) Open OBS
3.6) Close OBS
4.1) start REAPER
5) Start OBS
7) Start recording...

Are there any substeps between 2 and 3? I installed the github file (specifically the link that Bri1 directly linked to; see attached confirmation). However, when I go back into OBS and attempt step 3.3 (by adding a "source" to the default scene), ASIO is not mentioned at all. I have tried adding a new Input audio source, and an output audio source. Neither makes any reference to ASIO. Can I somehow point OBS to the ASIO plugin that was installed? Can you give a screenshot of what it looks like when you get to the point where you are adding the ASIO input in OBS? Many thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ASIO_OBS.JPG (30.8 KB, 414 views)
Old 12-12-2018, 10:16 AM   #23
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Can you give a screenshot of what it looks like when you get to the point where you are adding the ASIO input in OBS? Many thanks
ello- um,if you can hold a few hours a video can be made to show some settings you might find suitable.. i may learn a few things in the process of doing that also,as obs asio seems to work,but not fully..
tbh i always used the wave route for quick examples.
you may see errors in methods or doings,as this would also be a new setup for me to try today.. +only have 2 interfaces connected right now--onboard sound is temporarily disabled,so your milage,will definately vary.

once shown to be successfull-you can safely deposit the full amount owing-> to the paypal account.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:36 PM   #24
Guerrilla Music LLC

Quote:
ello- um,if you can hold a few hours a video can be made to show some settings you might find suitable.. i may learn a few things in the process of doing that also,as obs asio seems to work,but not fully..
tbh i always used the wave route for quick examples.
you may see errors in methods or doings,as this would also be a new setup for me to try today.. +only have 2 interfaces connected right now--onboard sound is temporarily disabled,so your milage,will definately vary.

once shown to be successfull-you can safely deposit the full amount owing-> to the paypal account.
Thank you, and truth be told, I am very much prepared to pay for a working solution. In fact, I have paid for the time of people who have come by my studio to troubleshoot the issue(s) with me, but have not yet gotten everything to line up. So if your videos (or just information relayed in whatever fashion) works, I'd be happy to tip your Paypal account!
Old 12-12-2018, 01:49 PM   #25
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
I'd be happy to tip your Paypal account!

lolz-- no m8-honestly-my wealth is=infinite
if you actually feel like donating- there are quite a few users/scripters/jsfx writers,who contribute greatly to reaper+it's user base...> please donate to any,or all of these peoples instead.=thanking you.
buy an extra reaper license if you want to support cockos.
i can only show what occurs on 1 system,nothing will be narrated (maybe some text) + i go at a brisk pace sometimes tweaking stuff-
someone else may have more permanent solutions for your particular needs.
try to see the bigger picture if anything shows well enough!!

vid will probably be up in 2/3hrs from now..cheerz.

Last edited by Bri1; 12-12-2018 at 06:17 PM. Reason: apparently,mistakes happen :)
Old 12-12-2018, 02:22 PM   #26
Guerrilla Music LLC

Quote:
If ASIO for OBS is installed correctly, there will be an extra "ASIO Input" source in OBS. So check/understand why it is not there.

For Mic I have already recommended a separate track with "Monitor only" option. So it will not be recorded in REAPER and you can feed it to ReaRoute without leaks into REAPER mix.
Thanks for this. Just a normal installation is necessary, at the default C drive location? Don't need to specify a folder in the Reaper installation location or anything? I don't have any answer about why it is failing to show up...
Old 12-12-2018, 04:32 PM   #27
azslow3

I have just uninstalled OBS (completely, with removing user settings) and OBS-ASIO.
Then I have downloaded:
https://cdn-fastly.obsproject.com/do...taller-x64.exe
and
https://github.com/pkviet/obs-asio/r...ller_1.3.0.exe

I have first installed OBS, then OBS-ASIO.

And I (again) have ASIO in the top menu and as a possible source.
I use Window 10, 64bit.

During installation, notice into which directories everything is installed and any errors/notices. Both programs are small, there is no reason to install them into unusual locations. Check that in C:\Program Files\obs-studio\obs-plugins\64bit
you can see obs-asio.dll

PS I have explicitly checked that mentioned setup works with my M-Audio... which I do no longer use. There are real audio interfaces and there are toys, took me a while to understand.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:13 PM   #28
Bri1
Banned

ello-apologies for delay-- seem to be having problems with this obs asio setup myself heh.
will look into this further just why am not getting the results that's expected......hmm.. another windows update just previous to looking at this..
will post findings after better inspection.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:31 PM   #29
Guerrilla Music LLC

Quote:
ello-apologies for delay-- seem to be having problems with this obs asio setup myself heh.
will look into this further just why am not getting the results that's expected......hmm.. another windows update just previous to looking at this..
will post findings after better inspection.
Welcome to the party and no problem! I appreciate your input and efforts.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:11 AM   #30
Guerrilla Music LLC

This looks promising. Going to give it a shot today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmaPa8pSI-o
Old 12-13-2018, 08:26 AM   #31
azslow3

There is important difference between ReaRoute and other software solutions, including voicemeeter.

ReaRoute is the ONLY software way REAPER can continue to work in normal ASIO mode directly with your interface while simultaneously providing the output signal for recording. The only because REAPER can not work with any other real or virtual interface in parallel with real hardware.

The difference is latency. If you continue to use REAPER with real interface ASIO you have usual latency. If you route the signal to and from some "software mixer", that unavoidably introduce quite big extra delay. Playing slow strings or auto-arpeggios with MIDI keyboard may be possible in such setup, playing normal soft-synths will be hard, playing guitar throw soft amp sim will be impossible...
How to quickly check it is worse to try other software solutions: set ASIO buffer size to 512. If you can not play with that setting, you can forget about any software mixers (except ReaRoute). Note that 512 is optimistic, you almost certain can not make better setup then that but you easily can be stuck with much worse number...
Old 12-13-2018, 09:33 AM   #32
Bri1
Banned

ello- well i found some stuffs.. this asio hax does not really work right here..

it works,but it's broken as far i can tell... if you still want to see a vid demo maybe it's better sent pm.
are you still interested in any info+results Guerrilla Music LLC ?
i must clearly be missing something here.... wasapi is giving results,but not asio as intended to be.
+ you can only max out @ 8 channels?- that must be a set limitation for window audio files via wave drivers...as there are no more speaker outputs provided by windows to go over 8 channels.
it could be either obs,or reaper @ fault- not sure @ this moment which...
obs was definitely crashing a whole lot while tweaking settings for this.
what say any youz?

++ also confirmed a gremlin with rearoute...i thought it was there,and it became obvious while tweaking settings..

Last edited by Bri1; 12-13-2018 at 09:54 AM. Reason: 1xtra.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:19 AM   #33
Guerrilla Music LLC

Quote:
There is important difference between ReaRoute and other software solutions, including voicemeeter.

ReaRoute is the ONLY software way REAPER can continue to work in normal ASIO mode directly with your interface while simultaneously providing the output signal for recording. The only because REAPER can not work with any other real or virtual interface in parallel with real hardware.

The difference is latency. If you continue to use REAPER with real interface ASIO you have usual latency. If you route the signal to and from some "software mixer", that unavoidably introduce quite big extra delay. Playing slow strings or auto-arpeggios with MIDI keyboard may be possible in such setup, playing normal soft-synths will be hard, playing guitar throw soft amp sim will be impossible...
How to quickly check it is worse to try other software solutions: set ASIO buffer size to 512. If you can not play with that setting, you can forget about any software mixers (except ReaRoute). Note that 512 is optimistic, you almost certain can not make better setup then that but you easily can be stuck with much worse number...
Rearoute makes a lot of sense. What my problem continues to be is getting the ASIO inputs to be recognized by OBS. I think I must have some odd setting activated on my built-in sound card (Realtek), because I can't see any other reason why the directions you provided would be failing on my system, but working on yours. What I am trying to achieve is really extremely simply -- just two audio feeds in OBS. One stereo channel out of Reaper and one mono (microphone) channel directly from my UR44 interface. The UR44 has a loopback feature that is supposed to facilitate livestreaming. And yet nothing is working. I wonder if has to do with what devices are set as defaults in Windows? This is why I am striving to identify someone who can do a comprehensive troubleshoot either locally or remotely to go through every setting that affects the signal chain.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:23 AM   #34
Guerrilla Music LLC

Quote:
ello- well i found some stuffs.. this asio hax does not really work right here..

it works,but it's broken as far i can tell... if you still want to see a vid demo maybe it's better sent pm.
are you still interested in any info+results Guerrilla Music LLC ?
i must clearly be missing something here.... wasapi is giving results,but not asio as intended to be.
+ you can only max out @ 8 channels?- that must be a set limitation for window audio files via wave drivers...as there are no more speaker outputs provided by windows to go over 8 channels.
it could be either obs,or reaper @ fault- not sure @ this moment which...
obs was definitely crashing a whole lot while tweaking settings for this.
what say any youz?

++ also confirmed a gremlin with rearoute...i thought it was there,and it became obvious while tweaking settings..
I am definitely happy for any clues that you might be able to provide. If you care to send me a link to whatever you put together, please do PM me.

Thank you!
Old 12-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #35
Guerrilla Music LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post

By activating loopback, are additional output(s) supposed to appear that I could in turn receive audio on in OBS?
Old 12-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #36
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
This is why I am striving to identify someone who can do a comprehensive troubleshoot either locally or remotely to go through every setting that affects the signal chain.

^yep- i basically done that with 2 different asio/wave devices.. and honestly--it was a nightmare!!! looong story...looong..
but!
with patience i managed to get it going somewhat .... both reaper + obs were being very very stubborn to co-operate with focused intentions!!!! heh-anywayz=results=success!

try these 2 videos (excusing qaulities of source materials+methods of doing!)
vid 1 shows 1st stages of settings etc--watch how it crashes obs though while tweaking
vid 2 shows different routes-- it all worked towards the end of running out of options to keep trying!!

i hope you can make something with this info+there's some older vids on that page that also use reaper/obs in the more...traditonal way enjoyz.

there is also a heap of places in windows where audio can be affecting signals--pre record,or post video recording...it's like a mine field of signal flow really..
i got heavily distracted by.... something... ..
Old 12-13-2018, 11:53 AM   #37
Guerrilla Music LLC

Quote:
By activating loopback, are additional output(s) supposed to appear that I could in turn receive audio on in OBS?
My computer is a Thinkpad, which does not have "stereo mix" as an option (see https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht003577). I believe that is blocking the effective implementation of the loopback function.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:36 PM   #38
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Rearoute makes a lot of sense.

What my problem continues to be is getting the ASIO inputs to be recognized by OBS. I think I must have some odd setting activated on my built-in sound card (Realtek)

lolz-m8, your problems lay in the very fact your using that realtek--it's a wave device-not asio-- there is a asio patch for it though i do believe-in holospace.
do yourself a massive favour- upgrade to some decent asio/wave interfacing-with modern drivers etc.
a roland dj505 is giving me like 48 samples latency bruv-- that's insane mode!!
Old 12-13-2018, 12:57 PM   #39
cfillion

Quote:
The Steinberg UR's loopback mode mixes audio from MIX 1's output into input 1/2. It does not add additional I/O channels.

In OBS (I'm using version 21) you'd select the input as usual. It will receive the DAW output mixed with the microphone when loopback is enabled.

Last edited by cfillion; 12-13-2018 at 01:51 PM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:45 PM   #40
Bri1
Banned

ey-some extra notes:
while messing around i did actually manage to get 2 asio devices streaming into obs @ the same time-- i even tried to make 2 scenes,and crossfade transistion the audio like that between interfaces=no go.
as obs also seems to encode at a max of 320kbp,it also makes little sense to set the rearoute driver @ 32bit as in the video..it makes more sense between daws-yeah fo sure..but in obs recording>that's a lossy compression that goes on @encoding time.
there are also settings to adjust any latency offshoots--in both reaper+obs (did not try that yet,tbh)

the stranger thing for me is-- i also chose them 3 files @ random- check the vocal and recheck previous posts.... heh.
quantum @ work. glhf!

@ devs-- the rearoute gremlin i came across is where i tried to run rearoute from a portabled/full instal that was not in ( c: ) drive- the hosts will report the rearoute driver--but apparently will not initiate like that!
so basically portable reaper instals of rearoute--needs considering further perhaps??
had deleted my main ( c: ) instal going portable as many do....(installed to desktop actually)
it totaly worked when reaper is installed at default locations.ok!
cheerz earz.