Old 12-02-2018, 08:35 PM   #1
puke
Human being with feelings

Default Drum machine? or VIRTUAL drum machine?

OK, I have ZIPPO experience with midi, and nearly zippo with my drum machine (an old roland tr707 or something like that...can't remember the part #). I am dying to get some drums on some tracks, but there are no drummers to be found,..and the more I try to look at tutorials on youtube...the more confused I get about midi (which seems to be the direction drums will go). My drum machine has a hum in it so I have to get something else going anyway. (My Korg M1 also has drums in it but it's hard to play drums on piano keys with your fingers.) Can anybody point me to a drum machine that I could scrape up for under $500 bucks? Or am I going to need to learn how to do the software based drum machines. I have a relative in another town that is telling me I need to learn software drums and that it is very easy,.. But I swear...it's the hardest thing to learn this stuff without someone to teach me in person. I think it would be easier if I bought another old fashioned drum machine. Yes, there are things that a drum machine won't do that I think software might,..but I need to start somewhere. Please chime in with opinions.
puke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:22 PM   #2
prom

"I think it would be easier if I bought another old fashioned drum machine."

Hello puke

*2nd thoughts....please ignore my previous recommendation about hardware,it was unresearched.

VSTi + a decent MIDI Pad controller or exactly what tarantula says in next post.

Last edited by prom; 12-03-2018 at 05:07 PM.
prom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:28 PM   #3
tarantula

NI Maschine I've had micro version and I just felt in love with it. Also you'll get couple Native Instruments products like Massive and drum packs
tarantula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:16 PM   #4
puke

What you just said is so greek to me.
puke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:24 AM   #5
ivansc

Why not try downloading and installing one of the excellent FREE drum VSTis out there?
This one used to be a commercial project and is now free, but still supported by the author
https://www.powerdrumkit.com/download76187.php

None of this stuff is any harder to get your head round than actually using a hardware drum machine, so dig in and yell for help as and when you need it.

Also MTPD2 does come with some sequences built in, in the form of MIDI sequences that you can even pick up and put in the track where you have the MTPD plugin (VSTi) inserted. In other words not only the drum parts but a way to build them into a song really easily.

Good luck!
Old 12-04-2018, 07:34 AM   #6
dug dog

Another vote for a virtual drum solution. In fact, I suspect there are very people who will advise the hardware option unless you have a functioning unit, which you don't.

+1 to what Ivan said.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:20 AM   #7
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by puke View Post
What you just said is so greek to me.

Ha Ha Know what you mean!
Seriously, at least having a go with a *FREE* drum plugin wont cost you anything but a little time. FWIW I own a Roland TD8 electronic drum kit, heavily enhanced & augmented even though I don`t play drums too well.
I have it mostly for when visiting drummers need to play but I use my little Korg Nanopad to enter MIDI drums for the most part these days. but its just about as easy to mouse all the MIDI notes in by hand for one bar & then copy that bar over & over
Old 12-05-2018, 07:59 AM   #8
thejetsonics

What about approaching this from another angle. You have little experience with MIDI. Little experience with programming or using a drum machine. So....how do you currently make music in Reaper? Knowing that, might be useful info to guide you.
thejetsonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:42 AM   #9
foxAsteria

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...hine-mikro-mk3

Can be used standalone or inside Reaper. Great sounds, pretty easy to learn. It's using MIDI, but until you want to record straight into Reaper, and playback through Maschine, you won't need to know anything about that.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 12-05-2018 at 11:54 AM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote