Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 08-12-2018, 08:19 AM   #1
rc5781
Human being with feelings

Default FX chain on all channels vs send to one channel with fx chain

Let's say I have 4 takes of the same vocal part. I stack them on separate tracks and add the same fx chain to each track.

I've tried sending the 4 takes to one channel with one instance of the fx chain but the results sound different. I prefer the same fx chain on each different track.

Are these 2 routings identical?
rc5781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:34 AM   #2
domzy

obviously the routing is not identical & it is highly unlikely that the signal post-FX is identical as well. Depending on what FX you are using in your chains, they will be responding based on the signal they are receiving. I'm assuming the takes are all slightly different and i'm guessing that you have some sort of dynamics in the chain, compression, for example. The volumes of each take possibly differs slightly as well.
So each chain will be affecting the sound slightly differently & then combined when you use separate instances, as opposed to combining & then affecting the sound, if you use one chain on a send. Dunno if i've explained this well, basically just use your ears and decide what sounds best.
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:38 AM   #3
rc5781

Is there any way for each track to have it's own fx chain (all the same) and be able to add/remove/adjust all fx chains at the same time?
Old 08-12-2018, 08:46 AM   #4
domzy

I'm not sure if there is an easier way, but you could probably do it by linking them together with parameter modulation / MIDI, perhaps?
Old 08-12-2018, 09:56 AM   #5
Lokasenna

Parameter modulation doesn't work across tracks, and Reaper doesn't natively have anything for linking like that.

Options you do have include:

1. Use some of the "copy fx chain" actions provided by SWS to quickly replace the other three track's chains when you make a change. This can even be put into a larger custom action/script.

2. Route the tracks to individual channels on a bus track, put four copies of every effect on it, and have them each operating in a single channel. Then you can link them with parameter modulation and only have to adjust the first one.

3. Depending on the order of your chain, take all of the FX that respond the same with multiple signals (EQ, probably reverb and chorus, etc) and put them on a bus but leave the dynamics-related effects (compressors, limiters) on the individual tracks so you only have to transfer a few settings over when you make a change.

Last edited by Lokasenna; 08-12-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:21 AM   #6
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Parameter modulation doesn't work across tracks,
No, but you can assign the parameters on each track to the same MIDI CC, and use an instance of ReaControlMIDI to send to those tracks -
Old 08-12-2018, 11:05 AM   #7
rc5781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
2. Route the tracks to individual channels on a bus track, put four copies of every effect on it, and have them each operating in a single channel. Then you can link them with parameter modulation and only have to adjust the first one.
Is this method an equivalent "signal structure" to having the same fx chain on different tracks or are there nuanced differences? Thanks...
Old 08-12-2018, 11:14 AM   #8
Lokasenna

If the effects use PDC, Reaper won't recognize that they're operating in parallel and will add the PDC requirements together, but aside from that they should be identical.