Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 04-30-2010, 03:14 AM   #81
smasha
Human being with feelings

Don't understand point 5 onwards.
smasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:16 AM   #82
Obitheincredible

Did you hit the "F" key? That toggles the floating tool bar. That is what tripped me up when I did it. Took me 2 days til I figured it out. Then I felt sooo stupid.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:18 AM   #83
smasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obitheincredible View Post
Did you hit the "F" key? That toggles the floating tool bar. That is what tripped me up when I did it. Took me 2 days til I figured it out. Then I felt sooo stupid.
AAH.

So that's how you do it?

Thanks mate.

Been wanting to try this toolbar out for months but got so depressed when I couldn't understand point 5.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:21 AM   #84
smasha

I'm stuck again.

How do I do the next part,point 6?

P.S don't worry I figured it out.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:23 AM   #85
Obitheincredible

Just like it says "load up the Color Toolbar.ReaperMenuSet file. It should be located in your Reaper\ColorThemes folder."
Old 04-30-2010, 03:24 AM   #86
smasha

Argh.

How do you save it?

Like a normal save?

Most people on the reaper forums explain things in a non noob way so I have to try to read between the lines.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:54 PM   #87
Moraha

I have a little problem...I reinstalled Reaper (3.451) and when I got to the step where I loaded the color toolbar in the Customize Menus/Toolbars window, it wouldn't load the graphics for the toolbar. All of them say "set track" except the last one that says "color man". So technically, it works when I color a track, but I don't see the colors on the toolbar.
Moraha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:59 PM   #88
Moraha

Any help? I followed it step by step 3 or 4 times and still no luck.
Moraha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:22 PM   #89
bobby yarrow

In case this is helpful to anybody else, I'll report that the toolbar didn't work for me (in XP) until I dragged everything into the corresponding user//appdata/reaper folders. The instructions say to unzip everything into the folder where reaper is installed, which I read to mean, /programs/reaper.

I'm still having trouble editing the colors themselves. I understand I'm locked to the existing icons, but as somebody else said the colors on the toolbar are darker they look once applied. I'd like the first one to be a much darker red, for instance. Editing in the palette menu doesn't seem to do anything.

Thanks.
bobby yarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:42 PM   #90
EricM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby yarrow View Post
The instructions say to unzip everything into the folder where reaper is installed, which I read to mean, /programs/reaper.
This was changed with a recent Reaper update, the instructions
were written prior to this. Time for an update ED :P
EricM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:48 PM   #91
EvilDragon

Good call.

Editing the Wiki now.

DONE!

Last edited by EvilDragon; 05-30-2010 at 11:56 PM.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:20 AM   #92
bobby yarrow

Nice. I thought I was being mulish and got lucky.

Any thoughts on why custom colors won't edit, or at least not as expect?
Old 05-31-2010, 05:49 AM   #93
EvilDragon

You have to open the SWS Color properties (search the action list), and then you must load the .SWSColor file which comes with the archive in it. Then it colors propertly.

Or am I missing something here?
Old 05-31-2010, 06:30 AM   #94
bobby yarrow

Thanks, especially for responding so quick. I am able to load your color set using the method you've described (I think). 2 or 3 of the colors look identical on my monitor, and a coule look the same whether the track is selected or not, but it's basically working.

Trick is if I want to change one of the colors. Let's say I want to make the red in custom 1 darker. I can do the adjustment accessing the palette via the button on the toolbar (or using the normal custom color action), but it doesn't change the color when applied to a track. Thank you again.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:56 AM   #95
EvilDragon

I think this is not so much related to my toolbar, but to your theme settings and PNGs which that theme uses, that's more likely. Which theme are you using?
Old 05-31-2010, 07:22 AM   #96
bobby yarrow

I'm using the default theme, actually.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:23 AM   #97
bobby yarrow

(The toolbar works just like it says on the tin. I have the same problem if I manually select "Custom Color 1.")
Old 05-31-2010, 07:34 AM   #98
EvilDragon

Oh, I tried it with default skin. Yeah, the difference is there, but it's too subtle.

I recommend playing around with some other skins, or edit the default one so that it has more difference between selected and unselected tracks. I think the file is called "tcp_bgsel.png" for selected backgrounds. Perhaps make it brighter?
Old 05-31-2010, 09:56 AM   #99
bobby yarrow

Thanks. I haven't really looked under the hood much on the GUI. Appreciate the help.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:51 PM   #100
bobby yarrow

Spent some time today trying to get to the bottom of my color problem. Different themes don't solve the problem. It's as though I'm limited to a narrow color set. If I put dark red in custom 1 and a light red in custom 2, both look the same in actual use.

My sense from your earlier is that I should be able to get fairly fine distinctions, and in any event that this behavior is wrong.

Maybe I need to reinstall the extension.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:08 PM   #101
crytek

Having problems with resetting the colors back to Default.

I have the Shoelace them. I can change the colors no problem, but when I select the "Set Track/Item to Default color" option, The color that's default doesn't matches the theme's default color.

[img]http://img249.**************/img249/5439/colorproblem.png[/img]

The freedom progress drone track is a greenish color. This is what the color changes to when I hit the "Set Track/Item to Default" option. The track "Hats untitled Midi..." is the default color I want it to set to.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

EDIT: Nevermind. I had two tracks stacked in the same channel. It's sorted now.
crytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:35 PM   #102
qwaycee

hey folks. I've done everything in the instructions several times, and when it comes time to import the Colour Toolbar Reaper Menu I get this message: ReaperMenu file does not have menu for 'Main Toolbar'"

I genuinely have no clue what's going on here.
qwaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:26 AM   #103
EvilDragon

Me neither. The menu file that's in the archive indeed doesn't have "Main toolbar" in it, only "Floating toolbar 2".

What version of Reaper are you using?
Old 06-06-2010, 07:38 AM   #104
qwaycee

thanks for your response!

I'm using version 3.52.

***I've solved that now actually. the colours seem to be off i.e. Red actually equals Blue. strange.
qwaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:59 AM   #105
Subside

My toolbar was working before and now it doesn't change the color of any track does it have to do with the update?
Subside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:07 AM   #106
EvilDragon

I'm afraid it doesn't have anything with the update, since the toolbar is working here correctly on v3.651.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:54 AM   #107
xpander

This is a nice tool, thanks EvilDragon for creating it. Unfortunately it still doesn't work on my PC. I already managed to install the color toolbar once when it was first introduced, although I had to figure it out by myself thru trial and error, instructions didn't help there. The toolbar was also working, kinda. This brings up my first question, any plans for a short manual? Not that there are too many buttons, but nevertheless, their functions seemed too random to figure out a solid way to work with them....at least on quick try.

My second and 3rd installs with later toolbar versions were not that succesful, now the toolbar works like this; press any color button and you'll get any color BUT the one in the button. More so, keep pressing the same button and the colors will step thru sequentially...eventually you'll get even to the color that's actually showed in the button. Again, is this correct behaviour that is just not mentioned anywhere, something depending on settings (which ones) or a bug?

Don't get me wrong, I really do appreciate your work on this. But having had just quick tries with this toolbar, I have to say I have succeeded easier and faster with SWS color extensions so far.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:24 AM   #108
frankielouis

Yeah, ED, I got this working this morning. Great work. Thanks a bunch!
frankielouis
frankielouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:42 AM   #109
tombuur

Is the install procedure in the first post still valid?

For instance I can't find any import/export in the actions list. I have installed latest SWS and ReaMenus.

I have somehow managed to get the color toolbar, but it doesn't work.
Reaper 5, latest release, 64-bit w SWS |GA Z270 UD5|Intel i7 K7700|32 GB RAM|Fireface 800|500GB SSD sys, 1TB SSD Rec, 4TB HDD samples|Win 10 64bit|Dynaudio BM6A|Softube Console 1|Sonnox|Waves|Melda|Superior 3|Komplete 12U|Melodyne|Slate|Izotope.
tombuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:59 AM   #110
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombuur View Post
Is the install procedure in the first post still valid?

For instance I can't find any import/export in the actions list. I have installed latest SWS and ReaMenus.

I have somehow managed to get the color toolbar, but it doesn't work.
It's valid.

How can you NOT see the Import/Export in the actions list?!

[IMG]http://img808.**************/img808/5241/28453108.png[/IMG]
Old 07-29-2010, 06:25 AM   #111
tombuur

I see. I thought I should search for an action called "import", but it was the button below I should press. Didn't see it.

Maybe for fools like me you should change "select import" to "press ímport/export button" ...

Now I just need to figure out how I can color the toolbar buttons with my own chosen colors.
Reaper 5, latest release, 64-bit w SWS |GA Z270 UD5|Intel i7 K7700|32 GB RAM|Fireface 800|500GB SSD sys, 1TB SSD Rec, 4TB HDD samples|Win 10 64bit|Dynaudio BM6A|Softube Console 1|Sonnox|Waves|Melda|Superior 3|Komplete 12U|Melodyne|Slate|Izotope.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:37 AM   #112
EvilDragon

Quote:
Maybe for fools like me you should change "select import" to "press ímport/export button" ...
Will do, thanks.

Quote:
Now I just need to figure out how I can color the toolbar buttons with my own chosen colors.
You are going to need Photoshop or GIMP for that. Here's the PSD file with layers which I used to make the icons, you can then use the "Desaturated WT icon" layer with "Colorize" function, to change the color of the button to what you want.

Attachment 8592

Remember that icons have to have the SAME NAME for them in order to work, either that, or you will have to save the icons with your own names, put them into Reaper appdata folder/Data/toolbar_icons, and then use Customize menu to edit all 16 toolbar icons... it's not quite easy to do it if you're a proud newbie in this.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 12-08-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:52 AM   #113
tombuur

Thanks. I will look into that if I get time. I thought the customize thing for colors did it, but it only changes colors, not icons.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:55 AM   #114
EvilDragon

Quote:
Thanks. I will look into that if I get time. I thought the customize thing for colors did it, but it only changes colors, not icons.
Yep, changing icons is a whole different complication. Bear in mind that when this feature was introduced to SWS, there were no floating toolbars in Reaper at all.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:40 AM   #115
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Thanks for this EvilDragon! I already made my own custom color toolbar, but haven't yet changed the icons, this will help with that! So far I've simply assigned blank (text) icons to the toolbar. Basically my version differs from yours mainly in that there are no specific setting changes to be made in preferences, it works in default theme as is.

---

Ok, got my first version done. Some colors still missing, but I will probably change button style and colors later anyway. Did it with Inkscape after all, and realized soon enough that the latest versions have a funny bug...at least on some win32 systems; it seems you can't save anything!
Luckily there are couple of workarounds for that, I took the blind way.

Now, this is absolutely not to steal your thunder, EvilDragon, but to thank you for the inspiration and a kick you gave to do this. Thanks again!

<edit:removed bad image link>

---

edit2
For anybody reading thru this later;

The official release version of Inkscape 1.48 seems to have fixed the save screen problem mentioned above.

Last edited by xpander; 09-02-2015 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:01 AM   #116
Xplora

Has 3.66 broken the toolbar?
Xplora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:05 AM   #117
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplora View Post
No, it did not.

Xpander, what do you mean by "you can't save everything"?
Old 08-07-2010, 04:51 AM   #118
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Xpander, what do you mean by "you can't save everything"?
Actually what I said and meant quite literally was "it seems you can't save anything". The bug in Inkscape 1.47 and also in the 1.48pres that I've tried is that when you choose the "Save as..." option, it seems that the screen just freezes and nothing happens. I spend quite a while trying to get this to work, and eventually just spent most of the day doing all my stuff without saving. That's why my icons are not as even and smooth as I wanted them to be, I simply lost track of all the changes, undos and redos without any reference.

Then I learned from some other users that the "Save as..." screen IS actually there, but because of the bug, you just can't see it. So I would just choose "Save as.." and then, without actually seeing anything on the screen, would type in the file name I would like and hit Enter. "The blind way". There's an option in preferences to save to the last used directory, so you'd also know where the stuff went.

Apparently this bug, which they for obvious reasons titled critical, doesn't appear on all systems. Hope they get it fixed, unfortunately the new pres so far have had the same thing happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplora View Post
Mine has worked just fine, but last night I did lose one of my custom colors? The funny things is, all I was doing was messing with MIDI stuff and menus, I never even touched the floating toolbar or its settings while doing that. Then when I went to change some colors, one of them was missing. The icon was still there, but the color was something else. To top that, after that I couldn't even record new MIDI tracks anymore, no matter what I tried. Got frustrated, closed the puter and played gtr for 4 hours, now that felt good. Maybe I'll get back to Reaper today, and see where we're at...

---

edit2
For anybody reading thru this later;

The official release version of Inkscape 1.48 seems to have fixed the save screen problem mentioned above.

Last edited by xpander; 08-30-2010 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:03 AM   #119
Xplora

Something isn't working for me. Can't seem to add the colours... I'll have another play tomorrow.
Xplora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #120
EvilDragon

Ladies and gentlemen, I HAVE SLIGHTLY UPDATED MY COLOR TOOLBAR!

The one and only difference is that I changed the filenames of all the icons! Now every icon is preceding with "toolbar_", which will enable Reaper to recognize the icons when they are packed within a .ReaperThemeZip file or theme folder!!!

This means that you don't need to have the icons in %appdata%/Reaper/Data/toolbar_icons anymore, you can PACK IT DIRECTLY IN YOUR THEME FILE!!! (Provided that you have "Allow themes to override" activated in Properties->Appearance->Theme Editor!)

This is going to be extremely important for themers, so take heed and update your color toolbars, today!

The install procedure is much the same. Just remove the old icon names, and reimport the Color Toolbar .ReaperMenu file! The link is also the same - just click in my signature!

Enjoy, people!