Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 05-22-2020, 09:53 AM   #1
zackpassman
Human being with feelings

Default Exploding Multi-Channel tracks after comping takes

Hi. I apologize if this has been answered but I couldn't seem to find it after some searching.

I was watching this tutorial video on recording and comping takes on a multi-channel track. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu9n5AQetfI

My question is once takes are comped and you're happy with the performance, if you explode this to their own tracks do the takes go with it? are they still comped? how does that work?

Thanks
zackpassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:57 AM   #2
ashcat_lt

From my sort of quick experiment, the answer is no. It explodes the active take of each item only. That part I’m okay with. If I’m “done comping”, then I already know what takes I want. I’m done.

That though made me wonder why I’d bother exploding anyway. I could just send each channel to its own track and add any further processing on those tracks. But I suppose there are some things we might want to do to the individual items depending on what they are. Normalize or at least adjust gain independently is one.

The one important one that came to me, though, is that I might want to fine toon the splits on each individual channel separately. I found the takes I want, I got the split points about right for the whole thing, but each channel wants to split at a slightly different spot and trying to split them in one place forces me to compromise some or all of them. This could happen even on a multichannel drum track, but if we’re doing something like recording an entire band to a multichannel track, then it’s pretty much guaranteed we’ll want to tweak each channel a little bit. So you’d think you just get the splits as close as you can, explode, and then slip exit each to taste...

...but no. The exploded items are individual.wav files exactly the length of the item they came from, and all the information that the original take still has beyond the split is gone. It’s as though you glued each item to itself and then exploded. It really kinda sucks actually, and the only workaround I can think of is to just duplicate the track however many times and set each item to single channel mode. Then you’d still have all your original takes, too. I’d imagine somebody’s got a script for that somewhere...
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:10 AM   #3
valy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post

...but no. The exploded items are individual.wav files exactly the length of the item they came from, and all the information that the original take still has beyond the split is gone. It’s as though you glued each item to itself and then exploded. It really kinda sucks actually, and the only workaround I can think of is to just duplicate the track however many times and set each item to single channel mode. Then you’d still have all your original takes, too. I’d imagine somebody’s got a script for that somewhere...
Could you use subprojects somehow for that workflow? I've never used them, just curious.
valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:59 AM   #4
zackpassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
From my sort of quick experiment, the answer is no. It explodes the active take of each item only. That part I’m okay with. If I’m “done comping”, then I already know what takes I want. I’m done.

That though made me wonder why I’d bother exploding anyway. I could just send each channel to its own track and add any further processing on those tracks. But I suppose there are some things we might want to do to the individual items depending on what they are. Normalize or at least adjust gain independently is one.

The one important one that came to me, though, is that I might want to fine toon the splits on each individual channel separately. I found the takes I want, I got the split points about right for the whole thing, but each channel wants to split at a slightly different spot and trying to split them in one place forces me to compromise some or all of them. This could happen even on a multichannel drum track, but if we’re doing something like recording an entire band to a multichannel track, then it’s pretty much guaranteed we’ll want to tweak each channel a little bit. So you’d think you just get the splits as close as you can, explode, and then slip exit each to taste...

Thank you. This was very helpful. Exploding the active takes is fine. I guess my thinking was if the particular take was good but maybe there's a weird click or pop on an individual mic that I might need to fix or something along those lines.
zackpassman is offline   Reply With Quote