Old 05-21-2020, 10:13 AM   #1
mrsiegel
Human being with feelings

Default Sustain pedal misbehaviour

Hi folks

I hope someone here can shed some light on this strange issue I'm trying to fix.

Reaper is refusing to play nice with my sustain pedal, even though I can see it's printing to CC64 as it should. It's there, but it doesn't create any sustain (actually this isn't strictly true: there is 'sustain' if I first hold a note, then press the pedal, then play another note, providing I don't release the initial note. Once the initial note is released, the sustain cuts off).

This only happens with my master keyboard which uses an old sustain pedal that writes from 0 through 127 as opposed to acting as an on-off switch. If I use my spare keyboard and its sustain pedal, it works fine. (I don't have space to keep the spare set up and I much prefer playing the master keyboard.)

My setup is as follows:

Windows 10
Steinberg UR22 MkII interface (USB)
Technics PX30 keyboard
(Incidentally this problem began with my old interface, the tascam US-122 MkII USB - I thought upgrading it to a more recent one might help)

I've tested this with protools first (sorry), and cubase AI, and it works fine in both of them. But I would much prefer to use reaper.

One other thing: my interface is listed twice in Reaper settings, and when I run reaper, it throws an error message that the 2nd instance of the interface is missing/ disconnected. I have no idea whether this is part of the problem or a separate issue.

Any help very gratefully received.
mrsiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:10 PM   #2
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsiegel View Post
Reaper is refusing to play nice with my sustain pedal, even though I can see it's printing to CC64 as it should. It's there, but it doesn't create any sustain
Welcome to the Reaper Forums !
Reaper is not supposed to pay any dedicated attention on Sustain (CC64). It will just transport store, replay it like any other Midi message.

The thingy that should "create sustain" is you sound generating synth - be that a plugin or some hardware.

Supposedly Reaper once saw the interface on a different Midi port of your PC and thinks there might be a second one that is currently switched off. You might want to delete the not workable instance of the interface in the list

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:03 AM   #3
mrsiegel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Welcome to the Reaper Forums !
Reaper is not supposed to pay any dedicated attention on Sustain (CC64). It will just transport store, replay it like any other Midi message.

The thingy that should "create sustain" is you sound generating synth - be that a plugin or some hardware.

Supposedly Reaper once saw the interface on a different Midi port of your PC and thinks there might be a second one that is currently switched off. You might want to delete the not workable instance of the interface in the list

-Michael
I know what you're saying - the instrument translates the midi messages into sound, not the DAW. But why is it that the same plugins are behaving in cubase but not in reaper? I can't help thinking that Reaper is failing to manage the midi information from this particular keyboard.

I've been searching around trying to delete the second instance of the interface but can't see where to do it. Maybe someone on this thread can give me instructions? Thanks
Old 05-23-2020, 09:55 AM   #4
mrsiegel

I just figured out a workaround!

If I keep one key pressed down on the keyboard, the sustain pedal works... So I've got a little weight balanced on the low Bb, and now everything behaves as it should!

I would still love to know how to fix this properly, but so happy to at least be able to play.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:32 PM   #5
mschnell

Extremely weird.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote