Old 05-17-2020, 10:26 AM   #1
RobertP
Human being with feelings

Default Toolbar Icons

I have managed to get my toolbars done how I like them except for one thing.
I have used icon symbols mostly but also have a few text ones. These text ones show as white text on black background which do not suit my old fart eyes.

I like amagalma's colour enhancer but the contrast slider makes white on black icons disappear.

I would like to make the background a more distinctive light colour with black text.
Searching the forum leads to 100's of references but not what I am looking for. The excellent videos on toolbars are in the main about making toolbars, using stock symbols and placing them.

I found two references that suggested tweaking "toolbar_Blank.PNG" or tweaking "toolbar_bg.png" (which one?) would allow me to re-colour the background in the packed theme. In this way I could open it in paint, change the black to a colour then save it by overwriting?

But then how about the text?

I guess an easier way would be for me to make new text icons. I have tried that - 30 x 30 but just get a narrow 10 by 30 image??

Please advise or point me to a relevant tutorial
Many thanks
Old 05-17-2020, 03:19 PM   #2
nzdutchie

I used ButtonMaker 7 to create text buttons the size and colour I wanted. Background and font colour is adjustable. Can be downloaded from here. https://download.cnet.com/Button-Mak...-75217158.html. God bless.
Attached Images
File Type: png Apply FX in stereo.png (1.8 KB, 244 views)
nzdutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:01 PM   #3
RobertP

Thank you nzdutchie.
However, that was a weird program seemed to want me to buy ready-made icons. I gave up after a few minutes.

However, persevering, I discovered this in this forum
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....ht=buttonmaker
and it works a treat - simple and effective. So now I have icons with bright blue/green background and black text, so easy to see. Works well even if I darken the whole theme. I could even have borders to the icons if I wanted and size does not seem to matter - I have 30x30, 60x30, 80x30 and 90x30, can choose font and font size to match... excellent!!

One thing, the download is called Buttonmaker6_WIN, but inside the zip it is called Buttonmaker 7.
It was a shame the video is no longer available but there, half the fun is trying it out.

I wonder if someone could answer:
This little prog allows me to "save button as..." which saves a .csv file - looks like an excel file, and also allows me to "save PNG horiz" and "save PNG vert".
For safety I saved both the .csv file and the PNG horiz and put them in the toolbar icon folder in Reaper where the icon is then usable via the customise option.
Do I need both of these to make it show up?
Old 06-04-2020, 03:33 PM   #4
nzdutchie

Haha, the link you gave, is the buttonmaker program that I'm using. There must be an updated one around. Yes, a handy program.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:36 PM   #5
nzdutchie

For safety I saved both the .csv file and the PNG horiz and put them in the toolbar icon folder in Reaper where the icon is then usable via the customise option.
Do I need both of these to make it show up?

No you don't need both to load an icon into Reaper but the csv is good if you want to change anything later.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:44 AM   #6
RobertP

Ah, ok, many thanks
Old 06-05-2020, 05:42 AM   #7
Tobbe

What a great app. Works super on Linux. Wonder if we could change the button to round corners as you like. Maybe to that in Gimp, if I can figure out how

Thanks for this, and thanks to you above who find it. Didn't know it existed.