Old 05-08-2020, 09:34 PM   #1
danmc
Human being with feelings

Default video fade in troubles

I'm having some video fade in troubles.
Reaper 6.08, 64-bit windows 8

Track1 = main video
Track1 FX: "Item fades affect video"

Track2 = overlay video filmed in front of a green screen (that needed some ironing)
Track2 FX:
"Item fades affect video"
"Image overlay"
"Chroma-key (RGB version)"
"Horizontal wipe" (to crop and help remove a wrinkle in my green screen that is to the left of the part of that video item that I wanted to keep.

Track3 = audio

Everything looks right and sounds right and then I wanted to fade in on the video. I tried adding a fade-in on both Track 1 and Track 2 and Track 1 does what I wanted but Track 2 doesn't seem to fade. I've tried messing with the order of the Track2 FX and also tossing "Apply track FX only wehre track has video" into the mix and I can get various versions of not working but nothing that just looks like the equivalent of a master video fade.

Thanks so much in advance.
-Dan
danmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:18 PM   #2
danmc
Human being with feelings

replying to myself here.

What I figured out is the following. I created a solid black PNG file of the same number of pixels and aspect ratio (1280x720 in my example) in an external program (gimp). Then I added a new track, added this as an item and stretched it out to be several seconds long from near the start and again near the end of the video. Then on this track I set up the video processor FX chain and added "Item fades affect video". Then I just did the fade on this track. Worked like a champt. I'm guessing the black screen part could be programmed directly in Reaper but that will be a project for a different day. I scanned over enough of the EEL docs to get a feeling for the syntax but haven't read enough of the API to understand the various functions that would be helpful.

Does this seem like the right process? Generate a track that is basically the master fader for video? I did notice a visible glitch when the fade in ended when viewing in reaper but not in the rendered output.

Hope this follow up helps someone else!
-Dan
danmc is offline   Reply With Quote