Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 04-27-2020, 02:49 PM   #1
halfbeing
Human being with feelings

Default How do I get the percussion sound in Cabaret Voltaire's "This Is Entertainement"?

I wonder if anyone could have a guess as to how to create the strange echoey slappy percussion sound in Cabaret Voltaire's "This Is Entertainment"? I first heard this track nearly 40 years ago, but I've never got tired of the extraordinary sound world that it builds. I have a vague idea that a flanger with very high resonance and a wide sweep might have something to do with it, but beyond that, I really don't know how the effect might have been created, or what sound they started with before putting it through the effects (or specifically, what sound band member Chris Watson started with — this is the Chris Watson who, incidentally, went on to become a highly respected wildlife sound recordist).

Here is the song on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyYDv-eF6M8
and here it is on Spotify https://open.spotify.com/track/7rGZ4...TLuU4bm8LhKfhA
halfbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:13 PM   #2
prom

Maybe it is phaser?
I used NI Phasis plug on an early beat box emulator and that is closer to me than flange but yeah 95% feedback and 6 notch/stages with a very wet signal.
prom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 02:06 AM   #3
planetnine

It sounds like there’s a short delay and then quite resonant phaser-type ringing on it, but I don’t know what short, multi tap devices were available back then. I know they liked to build and modify their own effects and used tape delays.

Are there more than 4 taps on it? How fast could a copycat go.

>
Old 05-13-2020, 01:43 PM   #4
Hex Enductor

great taste! have always loved them and this. Both suggestions above are good. One thing though is the Cabs always had very primitive and cheap instruments/effects in those days, (even for those days) and like you mentioned Chris Watson is a gifted recorder. They may have rigged something that was made out of a battery and gum to make do and get the effects they needed lol.
Hex Enductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 03:35 AM   #5
beingmf

Sounds like an analog drum machine like some sort of a Korg Minipops or, more likely, given the low-budget aspect, a built-in organ rhythm machine through a tape delay and a phaser.