Old 10-26-2019, 02:04 PM   #1
Trav
Human being with feelings

Default VSTs & VSTIs missing

Hello!

Frustrated old guy here. I've been using Reaper for years now, but lately plugins have started disappearing from my projects. Now almost all that I've spent years accumulating are gone.

I've cleared cache/re-scanned repeatedly, checked the paths, read forums, restarted the PC and so on. It's past my limited abilities. I have the latest version of Reaper running on a very amply Dell PC, Window 8.1.

Maybe it's coincidence, but it seemed the problems became bad after the last Reaper update.

I'm wimping out here...but was wondering if a Reaper expert might agree to schedule a remote control investigation of my problem. It would be greatly appreciated. It seems my plugs and .dll files are still in the VST folders, but it could be that there are 32 and 64 bit mix-ups.

Anyone willing to take a shot at this? Thank you!
Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 05:23 PM   #2
sjb66

Default No expert

Im no Reaper expert, but I am having the same issue. I do think it has to do with a 32bit/64bit issue, had you upgraded Reaper recently?

Karl
sjb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 06:34 PM   #3
Trav

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb66 View Post
Im no Reaper expert, but I am having the same issue. I do think it has to do with a 32bit/64bit issue, had you upgraded Reaper recently?

Karl
Hello Karl,

Sorry you're also having problems. Yes, as I mentioned, the plugs seemed to vanish after the last Reaper update and like you, I was wondering if not having the 32-bit and 64-bit VSTs/VSTIs might be the culprit.

My computer skills are very limited and I tinkered with the folders and paths so much I decided I should stop before I make a bigger mess.

Hope you get yours sorted, and if so, maybe you could share your solution.

Thanks, Karl.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:25 AM   #4
nait

I don't know if this helps at all or if your issue is completely different, but I have also recently experienced some troubles with "missing" VSTs.

In my case though, what I'd discovered is that only some of my 64-bit plugins were missing. I keep my 32-bit in one folder, and 64-bit in another folder. What I found was that if the 32 bit file and 64bit file were named the same, Reaper would only show the version of file that was in the folder that was listed most recent in the VST plugin directories setting (for anyone wondering, I only have 64bit Reaper installed, so always running that version).

So for example, if I had my plugins dir as: C:\VSTs\64;C:\VSTs\32 ....

.. I wouldn't see some 64bit versions of plugins (if the 32 bit file had the same filename). If I reverse the order, then I don't see some 32bit versions.

I don't know if that is usual/expected behavior or not. Something to check though. The real tip off was when I noticed I only was seeing 32-bit Native Instruments Komplete VSTs in spite of both 32-bit and 64-bit VSTs being installed in their proper folders (and my plugins dir matching the folder names correctly).

Some troubleshooting I found that didn't solve my issue, but you can maybe try:

Remove all folders from your vst path setting. Rescan (so you're basically getting an empty list, outside of Reaper's built in plugins). Shutdown/relaunch Reaper. Put the directories back, re-scan.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:03 AM   #5
Trav

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
I don't know if this helps at all or if your issue is completely different, but I have also recently experienced some troubles with "missing" VSTs.

In my case though, what I'd discovered is that only some of my 64-bit plugins were missing. I keep my 32-bit in one folder, and 64-bit in another folder. What I found was that if the 32 bit file and 64bit file were named the same, Reaper would only show the version of file that was in the folder that was listed most recent in the VST plugin directories setting (for anyone wondering, I only have 64bit Reaper installed, so always running that version).

So for example, if I had my plugins dir as: C:\VSTs\64;C:\VSTs\32 ....

.. I wouldn't see some 64bit versions of plugins (if the 32 bit file had the same filename). If I reverse the order, then I don't see some 32bit versions.

I don't know if that is usual/expected behavior or not. Something to check though. The real tip off was when I noticed I only was seeing 32-bit Native Instruments Komplete VSTs in spite of both 32-bit and 64-bit VSTs being installed in their proper folders (and my plugins dir matching the folder names correctly).

Some troubleshooting I found that didn't solve my issue, but you can maybe try:

Remove all folders from your vst path setting. Rescan (so you're basically getting an empty list, outside of Reaper's built in plugins). Shutdown/relaunch Reaper. Put the directories back, re-scan.
Sorry you haven't found the solution. I'll try your suggestions and hope for the best. Did your problem happen after the last Reaper update?

Thanks for your time and suggestions, Nait! Have a great week!
Old 10-29-2019, 06:24 AM   #6
nait

I don't think it happened after the last update, in my case. I think I would have noticed that. I do have the latest update though, but I'm pretty sure things were fine until I uninstalled all my VSTis and reinstalled them on a new drive. Maybe tonight I'll take a look at the ini files that are in the Reaper folder and see if anything there sticks out, or anything else noticeable. I hope you get yours working!
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:54 PM   #7
ivansc

nait: I can imagine this happening BECAUSE you moved your VST/VSTis but if you really did uninstall them properly using the developer`s uninstall routine and then reinstall them pointing them to your new location again using the manufacturers installer, you really shouldn't have any problem once you did all this & then clear/rescan`ed in Reaper.
My guess is you probably bypassed the manufacturers official uninstall or reinstall software & did it "DIY" style.
Sorry if I am wrong.

Oh and of course this assumes you didn't do what so many of us (myself included) have done before, downloaded a new version of reaper & replaced an old 64bit install with a new 32bit install, or vice versa. That definitely gives the same symptoms. If you do find out this is the problem, its really easy just to download the correct version and install it over the top of the existing one on your computer.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:17 PM   #8
blumpy

Default Lots of plugins

This has happened to me. The solution was to change the order of the plugin folder scanning, Clear cache/rescan. Seriously, it sounds stupid but that was the trick.... the order of folder scanning.

Last edited by blumpy; 10-29-2019 at 06:27 PM.
blumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:48 PM   #9
Trav

Quote:
I don't think it happened after the last update, in my case. I think I would have noticed that. I do have the latest update though, but I'm pretty sure things were fine until I uninstalled all my VSTis and reinstalled them on a new drive. Maybe tonight I'll take a look at the ini files that are in the Reaper folder and see if anything there sticks out, or anything else noticeable. I hope you get yours working!
Thanks, Nait. I agree, your plug-in losses are probably not related to the update. Good luck getting it all sorted!
Old 10-29-2019, 06:50 PM   #10
Trav

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumpy View Post
This has happened to me. The solution was to change the order of the plugin folder scanning, Clear cache/rescan. Seriously, it sounds stupid but that was the trick.... the order of folder scanning.
Yes, that's odd! I wonder why what worked before suddenly doesn't. Oh, haha, that applies to about everything; even us! Thanks for the suggestion. I guess I'll try your tip.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:45 PM   #11
nait

@Ivansc: I uninstalled everything using add/remove programs, and reinstalled everything using the installers (where installers were available, as some, like the freebies, you just drop the dll in the folder). Komplete 9 (what I have) was one that only can be uninstalled from Add/remove programs, and that's how i did it. I'm thinking I'm maybe creating a problem from something that's actually expected functionality though..

Quote:
That's exactly what I personally did for my issue to get mine working, but in this case it only gives me one or the other for Komplete.. either 32 bit or 64 bit, depending on the order. That said, it's not exactly a problem I care too much about since I really only want the 64 bit anyways. That's not normal though, is it? Or am I creating a problem that doesn't exist? I seem to recall always seeing both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of each plugin (where both exist). Maybe I'll try shuffling my other paths around as well. Or maybe I'll just leave well enough alone since I do have the 64-bit plugins showing, at least, since swapping the folders in my plugin paths around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post
Thanks, Nait. I agree, your plug-in losses are probably not related to the update. Good luck getting it all sorted!
Thanks Trav, sorry to hijack your thread a bit. I'll get out of your hair! lol My problem isn't as bad as what you are facing. Actually, I'm starting to think that this is actually how it's supposed to work, but I just never noticed until I reinstalled everything. I think in cases where the 32bit and 64bit filenames are the same, Reaper will load whichever one is latest in the path. I could be wrong, but at this point, I don't think it matters, for me. I hope you get your issue solved though.

Maybe start with identifying what plugin is missing (or start with a small handful) and share where you have it located, and what your plugins path is?
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.

Last edited by nait; 10-29-2019 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:08 PM   #12
ivansc

nait: Yeah we really need to get that bit about the order of scanning of plugins ( 32 or 64 bit) being governed by the order of the locations in your plugin scans list out there in BIG BOLD LETTERS somewhere. A very very common newb problem & embarrassingly, it is the one I always forget to mention when offering help locating missing plugins.
Sorry!
Old 10-30-2019, 05:12 PM   #13
Trav

Quote:
@Ivansc:

Thanks Trav, sorry to hijack your thread a bit. I'll get out of your hair! lol My problem isn't as bad as what you are facing. Actually, I'm starting to think that this is actually how it's supposed to work, but I just never noticed until I reinstalled everything. I think in cases where the 32bit and 64bit filenames are the same, Reaper will load whichever one is latest in the path. I could be wrong, but at this point, I don't think it matters, for me. I hope you get your issue solved though.

Maybe start with identifying what plugin is missing (or start with a small handful) and share where you have it located, and what your plugins path is?
Hey, no problem, Nait. All the information is helpful, now or later . I've been away with a lot of hospital tests and so on for weeks now, so haven't been able to focus on Reaper too much. I'd sure like to get all those plugs back, though, and when I can I'll do as you suggest. Thanks; wish you the best!
Old 05-24-2020, 09:19 AM   #14
Ulrich

Default More vanished VSTs ...

Quote:
I tried this and it brought back sever of my missing VSTs – however, not all of them.

Maybe this is a silly question: What *is* the "right" sequence of plugin folder paths in Reaper? And why does that matter? I always felt Reaper should have the common file paths as presets anyway.

Thanks for any answer!
Ulrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:42 AM   #15
ivansc

There really isnt a right or wrong way in Reaper.You do it how you want it.

FWIW I decided to move to as close as I could to going 100% 64 bit. My computer & Reaper are both running 64bit & all my plugins are now 64bit, with the exception of my UAD-1 cards & their power plugins which are not available in 32bit and of coruse my beloved Native Instruments B4II organ. I dont miss any of the earlier 32bit plugs I used to use and it ahs removed all the risks of gettint ghings in the wrong order in Reaper, so well worth the effort.

Good luck.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:25 PM   #16
Ulrich

Default Ah ... ?

So it's a thing of 32 versus 64 bits?

Maybe we are miscommunicating – I feel that if I could do it the way I want, it should simply be working, no matter what. So, must there not be some logic behind this?

Thanks a lot!
Old 05-25-2020, 12:05 PM   #17
Ulrich

Strange things are afoot!

I installed Reaper 6.11 today (Optionals selected), then copied my oldest full list of instrument paths back into the VST settings ... and they are back!

May all that have been a mix of no bridging and my meddling with the paths? Confusing enough it was ...

Anyway, can get back to work, so all good for now. Thanks to all who cared!
Old 05-26-2020, 11:57 AM   #18
Bob Lyn

Default Similar issues

I have not changed any directories in a long time but I am missing all Plugins when I try to add FX. All the titles are visible under FX options but no plugins. The strange thing is that all VST's in previous projects work just fine (except Native instruments) and can be copied into a new project if desired. I did notice that Native Inst was missing under preferences-VST, so I added it. At least it now works. I believe it happened after the v6.10 upgrade. But I could be wrong!
Bob Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote