Reno.thestraws
Human being with feelings

Just watch this... no need for script

https://drive.google.com/open?id=178...u_jn8A0P92Z3pf
Old 04-14-2019, 05:16 AM   #42
Reno.thestraws

Quote:
This kind of 'safety' can be seducing for fast editing cause less ambiguous.
Safety and fast?

Let's say you want to work on 16 areas...

you're editing the lenght of the 14th wrong and want to delete just this one?

ctrl Z?

and you removed all the areas. With classic reaper workflow you have steps and you can undo just small parts of process

On the long run, you'll always be faster with small undo blocks
Old 04-14-2019, 05:35 AM   #43
nofish

@Reno

Can you show how you would do this, second gif (deleting multiple non-continous envelope parts) as efficiently?
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:39 AM   #44
X-Raym

@Reno
Undos is a very valid concern ! and I also prefer small project change incrementation.

Quote:
and you removed all the areas.
Actually, nope.

As you can see in Sexan GIF,
the Area selection isn't erased after script execution,

so CTRL+Z is possible without having to remake all the sections by hand. They are persistent.

I think the ability to remove parts of a section is the only thing missing for propper section edges adjustement (unless I missed it on Sexan GIF).

Quote:
Safety
This was a visual consideration. I think everyone at least once use a "split a time selection edges" actions and realize he split all the items on all tracks EDIT(or at least some others but the rigth one) because he forget to select the right items before. This is error is just not possible with area selection, as you don't need to have tracks or items selected to show the Area of action. You see instantly the area of action. No selection consideration required (for better or for worse, but at least for "different").
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:57 AM   #45
Reno.thestraws

@ nofish

just like this

or like this

Why to you REALLY need to select all area first THEN erase ?
Old 04-14-2019, 06:28 AM   #46
_Stevie_

Workflow and efficency.
Concerning the undoing of the deletion.
The correct path would be: undo the deletion and restore the selection.
Then you can adjust the selection and delete again.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:30 AM   #47
todd_r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
Anyway @everyone check this shit out
Hot shit!!!
todd_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:50 AM   #48
_Stevie_

Examples of workflows that aren't possible (yet) with Reaper:
(Again, it's not about deleting but about copying/pasting/duplicating data)

Old 04-14-2019, 07:50 AM   #49
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno.thestraws View Post
No need area selection for doing this
Hey Reno, we get it. You don't want this. Your opposition has been noted. I mean no offense by this but this is a script. You can either use it or not. So don't use it.

The rest of us are very much looking forward to something that Sexan literally just started working on and would like to discuss Sexan's work and his progress on this. His Pro Tools playlist script went from a few features when he started to a full blown amazing script with grouping and swipe comping.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing where Sexan takes this so please show some respect and allow him to discuss and code whatever he wants without derailing the thread he started. It's his script.

Thanks!
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:51 AM   #50
Reno.thestraws

@_stevie_

Il think you did'nt watch this

https://drive.google.com/file/d/178f...A0P92Z3pf/view

and ->

and

and on your second and third gif, what's the finality? you just draw selection and then... what?

What you do not seem to understand where I am coming from is that there is no difference between:

draw X selection and apply a Y process to these selections

or

Draw the selection, apply Y (repeat 8 times)

You end up with same result. It's just a question of state of mind
Old 04-14-2019, 08:00 AM   #51
_Stevie_

@Reno, I did watch it. But don't you realize how complicated this shown workflow is?

On a different note:
I really absolutely respect your skills, your scripts and your contributions to the community! But I really wonder why you are being so intolerant on this topic.
Isn't the Reaper community all about flexibility, respect and helpfulness?
Old 04-14-2019, 08:07 AM   #52
Reno.thestraws

@klangfarben & _stevie_

I understand your point of view, but I find it so sad!
There is Reaper, Justin and a good twenty talented script writers who are part of this community. For the last two years, I have been under the impression that the 20 script writers spend their time trying to reproduce mostly features of other DAWs and that justin spends his time correcting the bugs that result from requests to add functions that resemble other DAWs.

What is this feeling of inferiority to PT, SO3, ABleton live? If we talk about finality, there is nothing that one of these DAws can do and that RPR can not do.

In addition, in case of transition from a DAw to RPR, trying to recover its old habits is the worst way to apprehend RPR! The proof in this thread! Some prefer to use a script rather than the basic functions of RPR.

In short, if Justin and the 20 great writers here were spending their energy and talent on creating new things, shaking up barriers and putting their creativity to work for innovation, rather than trying to reinvent the woodwheel, I think the whole community would win and that RPR would be 10 times more powerful and ergnomic than it already is.

Last edited by Reno.thestraws; 04-14-2019 at 08:12 AM.
Reno.thestraws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:08 AM   #53
Klangfarben

Reno, you're being a broken record and it's annoying now. Time to shut it down now mate. This is not your script. If you don't like this particular script again don't use it or go write your own. Clearly this thread is not for you.

Here's how this works on this forum. One, be nice. You don't need to say multiple times (in multiple languages) that you don't get it and you don't see the need. It's rude and unnecessary.

And two, while you have done some really good work yourself, stop disrespecting Sexan because YOU don't get it. You don't work that way? Fine. You don't see a need for it? Fine. Then ignore it and get off of Sexan's thread. There's stuff that film and media composers do that you will probably never do just like there's stuff I'm sure you do that others don't. You don't need 12 posts on someone else's thread to point that out.

You do realize that all you have to do if you don't like the script is NOT load it, right?

Avancez un peu dans le fond s'il vous plaît!
Old 04-14-2019, 08:15 AM   #54
Klangfarben

Furthermore, Sexan being the "talented" and "great" writer he is can write whatever the eff he wants. Pretty sure he's earned that right. It's not your job to be telling this talented group of script writers what they should and shouldn't be working on. Not to mention you are going off on something he's spent a couple days coding. That's pretty pretentious of you. So don't do it. C’est enervant.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:16 AM   #55
Reno.thestraws

I do not disrespect sexan (nor any other person here), I just find all this SAD

In short, I want everything to be like the good old days of Jeffos and Breeder! : D These guys understood everything! They did not copy, they innovated and are, for a good part, the origin of feature that made REAPER what it is today

Have a nice day

Quote:
Avancez un peu dans le fond s'il vous plaît!
Et devant, relevez un peu le nez du guidon!
Old 04-14-2019, 08:27 AM   #56
Klangfarben

Quote:
I do not disrespect sexan (nor any other person here), I just find all this SAD

In short, I want everything to be like the good old days of Jeffos and Breeder!

Calling someone's works SAD is pretty disrespectful. No matter what country you are in. And saying you want the "good old days"? Sorry to break it to you but Justin and Schwa is what we have along with a host of talented scripters. And they are doing fantastic work. You want them to focus on something else, make a feature request like the rest of us do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno.thestraws
Et devant, relevez un peu le nez du guidon!
Je ne vous raccompagne pas...

P.S. Sexan, back on topic here, donation coming your way!
Old 04-14-2019, 08:37 AM   #57
_Stevie_

Quote:
They did not copy, they innovated and are, for a good part, the origin of feature that made REAPER what it is today
And that's exactly what all scripters, do. You know that! People catch stuff from other DAWs, not because they want to copy it, but because they want to improve it. Most features from DAWs come from intrinsic motivation, because there is a certain need for a workflow. And some functions became basically "common sense" over the time. Like working with an item based system. No one would ever think: oh geez, get rid of items: Cubase, Logic, PT and Live already use them!

I'm constantly writing scripts for note and CC manipulation (hence my signature). All these scripts were inspired by my workflow and not by my previous DAW. That's stuff that I would really have loved in Cubase, but it wasn't possible, due to Cubase' limitations.

It's like you said: a woodwheel is a woodwheel, we don't need to re-invent it. But we can improve it (change the material for less friction, etc...).
Old 04-14-2019, 08:43 AM   #58
todd_r

This looks amazing Sexan, will it be in Reapack soon?
todd_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:08 AM   #59
vdubreeze

Quote:
there's an option To automatically create AI when using enveloppe...

lol.

from a guy trying to turn reaper into a copy of Ableton, it's hilarious.

[off topic] why the hell the other daws refugees always think that their old shitty software is the THE TRUTH and so RPR need to copy it... It was funny to read the trolls in 2013 but now it become very, very, very annoying
This misses the whole point. If this looks like trolling to you I would respectively say that you're being stubborn and closed minded. It's hardly trolling. I don't think my other DAWs are THE TRUTH, but selection is a facet where some have it over Reaper's and I welcome this.

You say you don't need area selection but I don't need Reaper's ability to do so many ultra niche wonders of programming and customizability that I would never use if it doesn't do a simple thing that I do want from a DAW in a sensible, fast workflow compatible way that isn't a 90% solution. To say that Reaper can't possibly have its usefulness improved for many by functions such as this is like that Reaper has every function, feature and usability one could ever need, including anything on any other DAW, where everything's so shitty only fools bother with them.

Just ain't the case.

Respectfully.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:17 AM   #60
amagalma

Great work, Sexan!
Old 04-14-2019, 12:07 PM   #61
Sexan

Core is shaping up really nice so soon will be adding lots of stuff to manipulate other stuff with it
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:10 PM   #62
_Stevie_

I was about to ask, if you could add "resizing", haha, already done :P
Old 04-14-2019, 03:12 PM   #63
amagalma

For the resizing: could you make the mousecursor to change when is over an edge of an area selection, so that it is clearer visually that resizing is possible?
Old 04-15-2019, 02:32 AM   #64
Mottemania

Whoopwhoop! I don't know what to say.
I tried some "solutions" of area selection within the timeselection, but its pretty confusing for the eye to look at which track is selected and so on ...

I need it, I want it Donation almost send (I just had to post first)
Mottemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:56 AM   #65
reapero

Finally! Great addition Sexan! This feels like Reaper 6 almost :P

My humble suggestion from me, as i mentioned in the other thread, its about folder tracks. It would be really useful if we could use this to manipulate the contents of a folder track, but from its fully collapsed view. That means we dont have to open the folder to drag the area on the subtrack´s items, but just doing it on the master folder track would select and split all of the items.

X-Raym put it nicely: "This would allow selecting items right from the folder faintpeak... interesting. Not sure how useful it can be but... interesting ^^"

Its amazing how everybody uses a software on their own way, cause to me the application is damn obvious:

-you get a trailer to add sound to with 2 versions: a 1m and a 30sec version
- You do the 1m length version first and add different folders for foley, vo, environment sfx, tonal sfx, etc.
- Once you are done you do the 30s version which contains some edits from bits and pieces of the longer 1m version. Some of this bits are identical so you can reuse what you just did for the longer version.
- You´ll use this rectangle tool select whole folder bits, or some of them, and ctrl+drag the desired parts to the 30s version on the right (i´d keep both trailer versions in the same project -1m version would be first region, and 30s the second one.

Makes sense?
reapero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:46 AM   #66
Sexan

I have that working in my WIP script, if you make AS over folder it will create AS for all stuff that is inside, it does not matter in what state the folder is.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:03 AM   #67
Mottemania

How about using the AS to make a crossfade with its length?!
Old 04-15-2019, 04:17 AM   #68
vanhaze

OMG !

I just stumbled on this thread and this is making me so happy !
Never thought that decent, easy, complete area selection in Reaper would be available,
but now it seems.

Julian and Sexan: You are True Hero's, thank you so much for the effort !

Warm Regards.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:25 AM   #69
musicbynumbers

Living the dream!

I will keep my eye on this and try it when I get some downtime!

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2019, 05:04 AM   #70
Sexan

When the core of the script is finished, rest is just a matter of what to do with AS:
1. Del
2. Copy
3. Paste/draw Paste/duplicate
4. Fade/crossfade
etc

Anything

it spits out range and you can do whatever you want with it. I've prepared another separate script that will contain all the functions that will manipulate items/envelopes etc so it will be easy to add/modify stuff. But the crucial one is the core.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:08 AM   #71
_Stevie_

Quote:
When the core of the script is finished, rest is just a matter of what to do with AS:
1. Del
2. Copy
4. Fade/crossfade
etc

Anything

it spits out range and you can do whatever you want with it. I've prepared another separate script that will contain all the functions that will manipulate items/envelopes etc so it will be easy to add/modify stuff. But the crucial one is the core.
Weeeeeeeeee!
Old 04-15-2019, 05:10 AM   #72
Mottemania

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Weeeeeeeeee!
Weeeeeeeeee!²

Can we have it like... now?

I'm really excited. I still want to convince my boss to use Reaper instead of PT and this would be a big plus
Old 04-15-2019, 05:49 AM   #73
vanhaze

Quote:
1. Del
2. Copy
4. Fade/crossfade
etc

Anything

AMAZINGGGGGG !!!!
Old 04-15-2019, 05:50 AM   #74
benf

Quote:
No need area selection for doing this
Sometimes, you react in a strange way.
You told once you think it's a way of working that seems to you to be a regression. OK. It's your opinion and I respect it.
In return, accept that other users have other use of Reaper than yours, other ways of using it and moreover, other ways of thinking.
If people think that selection mode is of good use for them, whatever the reason, just accept it as I do. It's just another script...
Old 04-15-2019, 05:59 AM   #75
nofish

@ Reno

As there have been some rather negative comments about your posts here I wanted to say I actually like how you show possible alternatives.
But I think it doesn't fit here so good as it's the Area(51) announcement thread.

Maybe start a dedicated area selection vs. native Reaper functionality thread?
I'd certainly read it with interest.

Just a thought....
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:19 AM   #76
Sexan

BTW I will need some help from someone who played with envelope lanes heights... I'am aware of the "problem" that BR_EnvGetProperties returns 0 when the height is at default level, has anyone found what is the factor that lanes are calculated?

I've searched the forums,looked at walter etc but could not find anything

Want to make AS for envelopes specifically (so they are separated from tracks)
Old 04-15-2019, 06:36 AM   #77
strachupl

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Don't use Chomikuj for images, because the image is broken or you've pasted it improperly. Better to use https://stash.reaper.fm/ or imgur.

Sorry, I repaired this. I use chomikuj because the ease of use. It was my fault, last time I used application I set default folder for uploads and it was folder with password so that is why images couldn't be displayed.
strachupl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:37 AM   #78
strachupl

Quote:
Originally Posted by strachupl View Post
Outstanding script.
For me it doesn't work unfortunately. I can't make it work properly, don't know why.

Last time GIF wasn't work so I quote myself to bring it again. What I do wrong?
strachupl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:43 AM   #79
Sexan

That is the first prototype, you need to make selection from the far top of the track (where midi and that suff are). At my github there is another script Area_51_Core.lua that has most up to date functionality (except manipulating with items, this one is pure). Core has only ESC key implemented to remove all AS from the screen
Old 04-15-2019, 06:46 AM   #80
_Stevie_

Did you check this thread regarding envelope heights?
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=203785

Edit:
And if that doesn't help... there is a script called smart contextual zoom from amalgama.
When you hover the envelope lane and execute the script it will zoom it, on a second execution it will restore
the original size.

Last edited by _Stevie_; 04-15-2019 at 06:52 AM.
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote