Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 11-15-2018, 07:50 AM   #1
nitsuj
Human being with feelings

Default ReEQ and ReSpectrum, parametric equalizer and spectrum analyzer

ReEQ - Parametric Equaliser

ReEQ is a sixteen-band high quality parametric equaliser. It's highly transparent, ideal for both mixing and mastering. It supports a wide variety of filter shapes, high/low pass filters from 6dB to 96dB, mid/side and stereo per band, and oversampling (default) for filter curve shape preservation at high frequencies.

Details

The filter code itself is based on Andy Simper's (Cytomic) SVF filter algorithms. These are the same zero delay filters used in Ableton's EQ8 which is well regarded for its high quality.

ReEQ supports filter low and high pass slopes ranging from 6dB to 96dB in increments of 6dB.
Also provided are a range of other filters including Butterworth filters for steeper (but more resonant) slopes, tilt filter, a Pultec style shelf and analog channel style low and high pass filters.

Each filter band supports mid/side or left/right for control of the stereo field.

Features

- The spectrum display type has a gradual decay effect (as used by many other commercial EQs). I find this much more useful for musical applications.

- The 'Settings' menu at the top allows various spectrum display settings to be adjusted. That's which spectrum to show (mid/side/left/right etc), whether to fill the spectrum or use lines, the ceiling and floor range, the tilt of the spectrum (it tilts around 1k freq), window type, window size and whether to show the spectrum as it was before the EQ affected it.

- The buttons at the bottom are: Oversample mode, mid/side or left/right mode, the scale of the filter bands, total gain, mid/left gain, side/right gain. The numeric values are altered by clicking on the button and dragging the mouse up or down.

- Double clicking in space creates a filter band node. Depending where the mouse x is on the spectrum you'll either create a high pass, low shelf, peak, high shelf or low pass filter.

- Click on the filter band node and move mouse to alter its frequency and dB.

- Alt Double click deletes a node.

- Double clicking on a filter band node will toggle enable/disable.

- Low and high cut filters Q is altered by dragging the filter node. For other filter types, hovering over a node and using the mouse wheel will adjust the filters Q value.

- Command (Mac) or Ctrl (Windows) and mouse wheel hovering over a slope filter will adjust the slope dB.

- Right click over a filter band node will bring up a menu. Options are: Disable/Enable, Invert gain, Select shape of filter, dB of slope (only for high/low pass filters), Stereo placement (mid/side, left/right), Split node which will split the node into mid/side or left/right and delete.

- When a filter node is in mid/side or left/right mode, some triangles are displayed around the node to give an indication of such.

- Clicking on the top-right yellow EQ dB number will show a menu allowing to select the EQ range from 6dB - 30dB.

- The info box at the mouse cursor when over a node or in listen mode will show useful information such as the frequency of the mouse position or node (if hovering over one), the music note and cents, dB of mouse or filter, filter Q and filter slopes.

- The drawn view scales to fit the full window and when the mouse isn't hovering over the window the programs turns off distracting menus and node handles.

- Holding the left shift key down puts the EQ into solo/listen mode. This mode works either with selected bands or as a freeform listen function. For freeform mode, simply press shift and move the mouse around. You'll see two boundary bars which specify the part of the audio spectrum that will be audible. Pressing the mouse button and moving vertically will increase or decrease the listening volume and you'll see a horizontal bar to tell you where the dB volume is. To solo a band, hold click when hovering over the band node and hold shift down. The soloing works differently for each filter type to accommodate what you may want to be listening for. Dragging filter nodes and altering Q works as normal in this mode so that you can make these adjustments whilst soloing. NB: filter band soloing also respects the mid/side or left/right assignment of the filter node.

- Axis lock for gain and frequency: ALT+drag will lock the frequency axis. CMD (or WINDOWS)+drag will lock gain but allow drag in Y axis to alter Q. CMD (or WINDOWS)+ALT+drag will lock gain and lock Q.

- Press CMD (or WINDOWS) whilst dragging a filter node will lock gain and allow Q tuning.

- Press ALT when dragging a filter node or turning a panel dial allows fine tuning.

- Select multiple filter nodes by holding the left mouse button and dragging a region box to encompass filters. Group selected filters are shown with a glowing halo around them. Holding CMD (or WINDOWS) then dragging the region box will not deselect already selected nodes and will toggle the selected state when the filter node falls within the region.

- When multiple filter nodes are selected the menu available by right clicking operates on all selected filters. The individual filter panel display at the bottom of the screen ONLY affects the currently focussed filter.

- There is a limit function which can be toggled using the 'LIMIT' button on the bottom button row. It hard clips any overflowing signal to prevent loud surprises. It's here as a safety measure.

- AGC (Automatic Gain Control) toggled by clicking the 'AGC' button on the bottom button row. When toggled on, ReEQ will attempt to match the output gain with the input level. A small button with 'S' (for Set) appears next to the AGC button when toggled on. Pressing this 'S' button will set ReEQ's master volume to the matching value and disable AGC once more. To cancel AGC mode simply click the AGC again.

- By default, when a filter node is selected you'll see the bottom centred panel reflect it's properties. You can adjust freq, gain and Q by dragging the mouse on the corresponding dial. To hide or show the panel click on the 'PANEL' toggle button at the bottom of the window.

- There's now a manual courtesy of enroe who made it. Many thanks!

Press ALT or CMD (or WINDOWS) and double click on a value in the bottom row to reset the numeric values to default.

ReSpectrum

- The same 'Settings' options as ReEQ.

- 'keys' button toggles a piano roll. Hover over the piano keys to see a vertical beam to pinpoint spectrum frequencies.

- 'peaks' button toggles the spectrum display of maximum peaks.

Caveats

- Only the first five filter bands are exposed as sliders for automation. This is a Reaper JSFX restriction.

- A reasonable CPU is required depending upon how many filter nodes you activate and whether you're running in ECO or HQ mode. ECO is fine for most purposes, is twice as fast, and has no latency.

Installing

The repository URL to add to ReaPack is:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Ju...ster/index.xml

I also supply here a zip file which can be unzipped to your Reaper effects directory.

The best method for installing JS plugins for Reaper, which works on any operating system and any install type of Reaper.

Or, you can read it in the current REAPER User Guide on page 113.

ReEQ is a labour of love and whilst I'm doing it for fun and to give something to the community, I've been asked if anyone can buy me a beer. If you so wish you can do that using the following link.

https://www.paypal.me/nitsujdsp

v1.2.0 / 1st Dec 2021
* Node drag on Low cut and High cut filters now modifies resonance.
* Panel 'gain' and 'Q' knobs now fade for bands that don't need them.
* Bug fix: ECO rendering of low cut at Nyquist caused a visual glitch.

v1.1.3 / 29th Nov 2021
* Bug fix: gfx_char() had been removed. It's necessary though because without it, the mouse_caps for CMD/ALT/SHIFT don't register unless the mouse is clicked first.

v1.1.2 / 25th Nov 2021
* Bug fix: ReSpectrum now uses SVF naming (zdf_ to svf_)
* Added version to menu in ReSpectrum

v1.1.1 / 25th Nov 2021
* Fixed version number

v1.1.0 / 24th Nov 2021
* Can now draw region to select multiple nodes
* Selected nodes can be moved and Q altered
* The right-click menu affects group selected nodes, the filters panel affects single filter nodes
* Holding CMD (Mac) or Window (windows) and clicking on a specific filter node will toggle its group selected state
* Holding CMD (Mac) or Window (windows) key whilst region selecting toggles filter select states
* Clicking on an empty part of the display will deselect all group selected filter nodes

v1.0.12 / 13th May 2021
* Node dragging - more precise selection, pressing ALT key now drags node slower allowing fine tuning.
* Dial dragging - pressing ALT key now turns dials slower allowing fine tuning.
* Denormals - now uses JSFX built in denormalisation.

4th July 2020
* Minor fix - filter types in panel were missing last two filter types. Fixed.

1st June 2020
* New filters! Low and High Channel (Analog)
* Added version to Settings menu
* Fixed a menu indexing problem

21st May 2020
* Now supports up to 16 filter nodes instead of 8. Maintained backwards compatibility in the serialisation files so you should be fine with projects already using ReEQ. HOWEVER, you won't be able to go back to the older ReEQ after using this version.
* Cross platform rendering is improved. The PC version should now have improved drawing of buttons etc.
* Attempt to fix denormalisation issue.

15th March 2020
* Fixed a bug where a filter band being in listen mode wouldn't continue listening if the mouse left the viewport.
* Altered line thickness for both retina and normal when the view becomes very compact (for MCP & TCP).
* Added a manual PDF - many thanks to enroe who kindly made it!

18th December 2019
* ReEQ now gracefully handles smaller view sizes for Reaper 6 TCP & MCP views.
* ReSpectrum brought up to date with some rendering and the above view handling.

15th November 2019
* Minor update - fixed the gfx_showmenu positions for retina mode as the latest Reaper no longer requires adjusted coordinates
Attached Files
File Type: pdf eq re manual 1.0.12.pdf (225.8 KB, 14347 views)
File Type: zip ReJJ-1.2.0.zip (54.3 KB, 31764 views)

Last edited by nitsuj; 11-30-2021 at 06:23 PM. Reason: New release
nitsuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:15 AM   #2
Eliseat

What the heck!

This thing is amazing. It seems that the Reaper community got its Christmas presents a bit early this year.

Many thanks.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:54 PM   #3
Reaperto

Great job! Thanks for sharing.

By the way... resizible window... what a luxury!

And Shift+left click enable band pass, with adjustable range via mousewheel!

Last edited by Reaperto; 11-15-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Reaperto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:51 PM   #4
Bri1
Banned

yep- some amazing shares going on in the world!
very clever for fun!
variety is a spice to really taste.
thanks 2 all that share/care like this with reaper-- the creators.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:19 PM   #5
Eliseat

nitsuj,

your EQ is amazing. But one thing I recognized: If you modulate the frequency, its impossible to catch the same band afterwards because it moves with the LFO. Is there a way to select this band another way? I didn't find a way except going back to the modulation panel to deactivate the LFO.

But anyway. You did a great job here. It feels just intuitive to use this EQ. Many thanks again.

Old 11-15-2018, 02:22 PM   #6
Sju

Holy shit. Sounds really good. The spectrum analyzer is extremely good! Thank you!

PS. the font size of the bottom left info box is smaller on ReSpectrum. It's a bit difficult to disinguish the numbers.
Sju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:37 PM   #7
DaveKeehl

Can you put it on the ReaPack?

Also I found a few things that can be improved:

- It would be really nice if we could double click the boxes at the bottom to reset the initials values
- Also tooltips after a few seconds on those boxes could be useful
- If I change M/S to L/R or viceversa the whole box disappears until you move the mouse
- If I double the click the mouse in that lower part where the boxes are, bands are created and this shouldn't happen I guess
- When I scale the interface up there is some weird stuff being displayed until you release the mouse button
- Is it possible to smoothen out the band lines?

Last edited by DaveKeehl; 11-15-2018 at 02:50 PM.
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:49 PM   #8
nitsuj

Thanks for the kind words all, it's much appreciated. I hope you get some great use out them.

Sju, I'm on a Mac 15" laptop so everything is kind of calibrated on that although I did support non-retina. In theory ReSpectrum is using Verdana with a fixed size of 9 for non-retina. Can you tell me what machine / OS / screen size you're on? I'll investigate.

Eliseat, I think you might have the same issue too if you tried to do it with another EQ. I'll have a think about a solution. I could introduce an offset for frequency and dB - it's those that you'd modulate. The code would keep the handles in place but add the offsets for audio processing. That'd take another 10 slider slots bringing the total up to 62 - pretty close to the 64 limit!

Reaperto, thanks for reminding me about the listen feature I'd implemented. I'd forgotten all about it! ReSpectrum has it too.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:04 PM   #9
nitsuj

Quote:
Can you put it on the ReaPack?
Yes, I was going to get a round or two of feedback then I'll put it on ReaPack.

Quote:
- It would be really nice if we could double click the boxes at the bottom to reset the initials values
Yep, good one.

Quote:
- Also tooltips after a few seconds on those boxes could be useful
You're right that would be nice.

Quote:
- If I change M/S to L/R or viceversa the whole box disappears until you move the mouse
Do you mean the buttons disappear? That'll be because the mouse is outside of the main window after you've selected and I coded it so that when the mouse is outside, those features including filter handles disappear to leave a clear view of the filter bands and transfer lines. I agree though that it can feel a little unexpected so I'll have a think if there's anything to do about it.

Quote:
- If I double the click the mouse in that lower part where the boxes are, bands are created and this shouldn't happen I guess
You're right, that's a bug!

Quote:
- When I scale the interface up there is some weird stuff being displayed until you release the mouse button
I think this might well be a Reaper issue. They've improved this lately but you still get garbage on the right and bottom side momentarily when resizing.

Quote:
- Is it possible to smoothen out the band lines?
On my Mac in retina mode I fudge smoothness by overdrawing lines with alpha adjustments and they look pretty good thanks to the pixel density. Outside of that I'm at the mercy of how Cockos handle larger displays/pixel densities inside JSFX. The technique I'd used for retina mode left the lines looking very thick in non-retina, so I had to downgrade them. I wish Cockos would round out their JSFX rendering functions with thickness options with anti-aliasing to avoid trying to fudge it.

Great feedback though thanks!
Old 11-15-2018, 03:33 PM   #10
DaveKeehl

Thanks to you for this awesome plugin! Looks like we have a Pro-Q2 for Reaper users
I'm using a 15'' MBP with Retina display so I see the plugin as you do. By smooth I meant like for example in the Fabfilter Pro-Q2 where (I don't know how they do it) but everything is soooo smooth) but yeah I get it no anti-aliasing no party

I'll let you know if I find something else!
Old 11-15-2018, 03:54 PM   #11
nitsuj

Thanks DaveKeehl!

Yeah, Pro-Q2 is a wonderfully well crafted piece of software. Looks gorgeous, silky smooth (high refresh rate) and superbly designed. Fabfilter are well known for it and they deserve their success.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:03 PM   #12
Reaperto

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj View Post
Reaperto, thanks for reminding me about the listen feature I'd implemented. I'd forgotten all about it! ReSpectrum has it too.
You're my hero!
Keep up the good job!
Many thanks again!
Old 11-16-2018, 12:10 AM   #13
Eliseat

Quote:
Eliseat, I think you might have the same issue too if you tried to do it with another EQ. I'll have a think about a solution. I could introduce an offset for frequency and dB - it's those that you'd modulate. The code would keep the handles in place but add the offsets for audio processing. That'd take another 10 slider slots bringing the total up to 62 - pretty close to the 64 limit!
No, I didn't mean to overhaul the whole thing. Maybe a context menu to select the active bands would be okay. In reaEQ you can't run into this problem because you always have the ability to show the tabs. If a band runs wild thru animation you have a place where you can select it. In your EQ its impossible to get back to the band because its moving. And this even makes it difficult to stop the LFO from running. Maybe you could add a button next to the oversampling which opens a list of all active bands. Do you know what I mean?

Greetings
Eli
Old 11-16-2018, 02:47 AM   #14
Sju

Quote:
Sju, I'm on a Mac 15" laptop so everything is kind of calibrated on that although I did support non-retina. In theory ReSpectrum is using Verdana with a fixed size of 9 for non-retina. Can you tell me what machine / OS / screen size you're on? I'll investigate.
I'm using Win10 at 1920x1080. Here's a size comparison between ReEQ and ReSpectrum info boxes:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IkA...ew?usp=sharing
Old 11-16-2018, 03:10 AM   #15
nitsuj

Thanks Sju!

The font size is correct (Verdana 9pt) but it is too small for your resolution. I'll see if there's a way to get screen size in JSFX so that I can at least set the right font size.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:52 AM   #16
nofish

This is amazing, thanks for sharing.

One thing got me wondering though:
Could it be that the spectrum analyzer in ReEQ is a bit off somehow?

Here I'm running pink noise through it (tilt set to 3 dB/oct) with a notch set to ~1 kHz, but the analyzer is showing the dip at ~ 2 kHz.
Or am I misunderstanding something?

nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:55 AM   #17
ramses

Wow, what a treat! Tremendous work, I'll make sure to give it a spin for a while and see if I have any suggestions for improvements or whatever.

Thanks!!!
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:56 AM   #18
Sju

About the parameter modulation problem, one solution would be to add individual band controls to the bottom of the GUI, like there are for the master volume, oversampling, etc. Pro-Q is a good example of this feature, and I think the floating UI is nice. This would require a node selection mechanism though (lasso for multiple selection?).

The advantages would also include being able to adjust just the freq or gain without touching the other parameter like you might do when adjusting via the 2D graph. Another cool feature could be adjusting the freq or scaling the gain of multiple bands at once.

Well, just throwing ideas out there. Really enjoying it as it is; I like the sound so much I'm using it over EQuilibrium at the moment. :P
Old 11-16-2018, 04:33 AM   #19
pepe44

This is great. well done.
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:51 AM   #20
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Could it be that the spectrum analyzer in ReEQ is a bit off somehow?

Here I'm running pink noise through it (tilt set to 3 dB/oct) with a notch set to ~1 kHz, but the analyzer is showing the dip at ~ 2 kHz.
Or am I misunderstanding something?
Curious! I tried the same thing and got the following.

Could you run a different spectrum analyser after it to clarify whether it's the spectrum display that's offset or if it's the notch filter itself?

Does it happen all the time and does it happen for other filter types?

Last edited by nitsuj; 11-16-2018 at 06:58 AM. Reason: More questions
Old 11-16-2018, 07:00 AM   #21
Sju

I'm getting the analyzer offset too. Using 96kHz sample rate here.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:08 AM   #22
nitsuj

Ah, it may be a sample rate issue. I'll give that a go.

EDIT:
Ok, if you're sampling rate is any other than 44.1kHz then for now deselect oversampling (the x2 button at the bottom - put it to x1). If you're running at higher sample rates then in theory you don't need the oversampling as its primary purpose to get better response curves near Nyquist.

Last edited by nitsuj; 11-16-2018 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:01 AM   #23
nofish

Yes, that's it.
I was running 48 KhZ, 2x oversampling in that screenshot.
Running at 44.1 or not 44.1 and not oversampling fixes, as you say.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:09 AM   #24
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Yes, that's it.
I was running 48 KhZ, 2x oversampling in that screenshot.
Running at 44.1 or not 44.1 and not oversampling fixes, as you say.
I've fixed this now. Updated files in the top post.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:41 AM   #25
nofish

Great, thanks.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:38 AM   #26
Sju

Analyzer works as expected now, and the fonts are visible again cheers!
Old 11-16-2018, 11:57 AM   #27
Ozman

Really loving these.
They are beautiful!

Please add to ReaPack.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:51 PM   #28
pepe44

is it possible to make it less CPU consumer ?
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:21 PM   #29
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe44 View Post
is it possible to make it less CPU consumer ?
It may be possible. Close the window when not using it as it takes CPU to draw.

Best thing is to use Reaper's performance view to see how much CPU the DSP is taking. I'd be happy to see feedback to see how it's performing on different machines.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:09 PM   #30
Fabian

For real...? Holy cow!

Thanks.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:34 PM   #31
mawi

Great work, thanks for sharing!!!

Last edited by mawi; 11-16-2018 at 06:51 PM.
mawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:53 PM   #32
Justin
Administrator

This is really awesome, thanks!

I'm using it to test my very-early SSE-optimized JSFX branch, seems to have helped spot a bug in it for me too (now to figure out why...).

Last edited by Justin; 11-16-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:32 AM   #33
Not_Here

color me <---- newbie

I have the files from the .zip located in;

c:\program files\REAPER(x64)\installdata\effects
and they are in their folder ReJJ

but I can't seem to find this in Reaper. I tried clear cache and re-scan and still no luck?

any ideas or help would be tremendously appreciated!
Old 11-17-2018, 01:13 AM   #34
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Here View Post
color me <---- newbie

I have the files from the .zip located in;

c:\program files\REAPER(x64)\installdata\effects
and they are in their folder ReJJ

but I can't seem to find this in Reaper. I tried clear cache and re-scan and still no luck?

any ideas or help would be tremendously appreciated!
That folder isn't to be used for anything other than what Reaper installs.

Find the location of the Reaper resource folder on your computer, where the JS effects are installed. From Reaper:

Options -> Show Resource Path in Explorer/Finder
(JS effects are located in there, in the "effects" subfolder.)
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:38 AM   #35
Not_Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
That folder isn't to be used for anything other than what Reaper installs.

Find the location of the Reaper resource folder on your computer, where the JS effects are installed. From Reaper:

Options -> Show Resource Path in Explorer/Finder
(JS effects are located in there, in the "effects" subfolder.)
Awesome! Grinnin' from ear to ear!

...and now I know

thanks a ton sir!

THIS ReEQ is amazing! If only many other stock plugs were up to this level...

running it on master channel with a few things goin ( like 50 or so other fx on 45 tracks)my whole cpu usage is between 3-5%

FFT at 16k stretching it across a 35" monitor at 3440 x 1440 resolution and it's running smooth as glass

sounds great just noodling around with it...

Thank you from making this nitsuj.... what a gift!

Last edited by Not_Here; 11-17-2018 at 02:11 AM.
Not_Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:01 AM   #36
pim van dorst

Default reapers pro Q

Quote:
ReEQ and ReSpectrum:

Thought I'd share this with you. It's a couple of pet projects I've been working on for fun recently.

My question was: is it possible to create a FabFilter or EQ8 style high quality filter in JSFX?

ReEQ

This is an eight band filter. It defaults to oversample x2 so that the filter shapes are preserved near Nyquist but no oversampling is also an option. When oversampling, there is a 16 sample delay introduced and it uses a steep FIR filter at high frequencies to remove aliasing. It's highly transparent in either case.

The filter code itself is based on Andy Simper's (Cytomic) SVF filter algorithms. They are far higher quality than the usual RBJ cookbook filters. These are the same zero delay filters used in Ableton's EQ8 which is well regarded for its high quality.

In addition, I've provided 6db slope filters and increments of 6db thereof (a combination of one and two pole filters) with cutoff slopes for high and low of up to 96dB. I've also provided Butterworth filters for steeper (but more resonant) slopes.

Full mid/size or left/right stereo filter bands are implemented.

Feature wise I see it as an improvement over ReaEQ (more filter types and slopes, mid/side or left/right processing).

Features

- The spectrum display type has a gradual decay effect (as used by many other commercial EQs). I find this much more useful for musical applications.

- The 'Settings' menu at the top allows various spectrum display settings to be adjusted. That's which spectrum to show (mid/side/left/right etc), whether to fill the spectrum or use lines, the ceiling and floor range, the tilt of the spectrum (it tilts around 1k freq), window type, window size and whether to show the spectrum as it was before the EQ affected it.

- The buttons at the bottom are: Oversample mode, mid/side or left/right mode, the scale of the filter bands, total gain, mid/left gain, side/right gain. The numeric values are altered by clicking on the button and dragging the mouse up or down.

- Double clicking in space creates a filter band node. Depending where the mouse x is on the spectrum you'll either create a high pass, low shelf, peak, high shelf or low pass filter.

- Click on the filter band node and move mouse to alter it's frequency and dB.

- Alt Double click deletes a node.

- Double clicking on a filter band node will toggle enable/disable.

- Hovering over a node and using the mouse wheel will adjust the filters Q value.

- Command (Mac) or Ctrl (Windows) and mouse wheel hovering over a slope filter will adjust the slope dB.

- Right click over a filter band node will bring up a menu. Options are: Disable/Enable, Select shape of filter, dB of slope (only for high/low pass filters), Stereo placement (mid/side, left/right), Split node which will split the node into mid/side or left/right and delete.

- When a filter node is in mid/side or left/right mode, some triangles are displayed around the node to give an indication of such.

- Clicking on the top-right yellow EQ db number will show a menu allowing to select the EQ range from 6dB - 36dB.

- The info box at the bottom left will show useful information such as the frequency of the mouse position or node (if hovering over one), the music note and cents, dB of mouse or filter, filter Q and filter slopes.

- The drawn view scales to fit the full window and when the mouse isn't hovering over the window the programs turns of distracting menus and node handles.

- Holding the left shift key down puts the EQ into listen mode. You'll see two boundary bars representing the bandwidth being listened to. Use the mouse wheel to shrink/grow the area. It uses a band pass to isolate frequencies. (Thanks to Reaperto for reminding me!)

ReSpectrum

- The same 'Settings' options as ReEQ.

- 'keys' button toggles a piano roll. Hover over the piano keys to see a vertical beam to pinpoint spectrum frequencies.

- 'peaks' button toggles the spectrum display of maximum peaks.

Caveats

- I've only tried it on OSX as I develop on Mac.

- It should support both retina and non-retina displays.

- Only the first five filter bands are exposed as sliders for automation.

- You'll need a reasonable machine performance wise. Closing the window when not in use helps.

- I've used showmenu() for the menus. Technically it's not documented for JSFX so I don't know how well it works on other platforms.

- Oh, I should say I borrowed Theo Niessink's RBJ filter code but only for the display magnitude calculations, not for sound processing.

I've attached a zip file which can be unzipped to your Reaper effects directory. I'd consider using ReaPack if there was a call for it.

Updates
* Minor font fixes - still some to do.
* Fixed oversampling issue. Oversampling correctly ignored for sample rates > 48kHz.
thank you great options grtz from holland
pim van dorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:29 AM   #37
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
This is really awesome, thanks!

I'm using it to test my very-early SSE-optimized JSFX branch, seems to have helped spot a bug in it for me too (now to figure out why...).
SSE optimized branch? Nice. Let me know if it's a bug in my code that you've spotted. I'd like to get bugs ironed out before I ReaPack it.

BTW, great job on JSFX. Making it fast enough to do this kind of processing is really cool.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:48 AM   #38
DaveKeehl

Would it be possible to simply click on the eq line and immediately both create a new band and being able to drag it around from the point I have clicked? Right now you have to double click and then the band is positioned in a sort of average position.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:54 AM   #39
TonE

Thanks for sharing, and I like your initially asked question.

Why did you not ask this as well?
Would it be possible making something in JSFX, which sounds like Ebbe und Flut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Uo0uwS9aE
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:03 AM   #40
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
Would it be possible to simply click on the eq line and immediately both create a new band and being able to drag it around from the point I have clicked? Right now you have to double click and then the band is positioned in a sort of average position.
Double clicking should create the band node exactly where the mouse cursor is. Is that what you're seeing? So you should be able to double click and then click&drag straight away.