Old 06-13-2018, 06:49 AM   #1
hanstheman
Human being with feelings

Default HansTheMan's Reaper scripts

Hey guys, just finished my first Reaper script for the MIDI editor,
This script is made for making a glissandi scale between two notes.
You can also choose gradual ease-in or ease-out and note repetitions.
The script is especially useful if you want to replicate the orchestral harp glissandi like John Williams.
Just select two notes, run script and choose the notes you want in your scale and if you want ease-in or out. The range knob is the percentage of number of notes effected by the ease-in/out. The curve knob is the exponential curvature for the ease-in/out.
Holding down ctrl while mouse dragging a knob will increment in small steps.
Then hit the create scale button to create the scale. Ignore the preview button since it is not yet implemented.

You can download the script here,
https://github.com/TheOriginalHansTheMan/glissandi

you will also need to download Lokasenna's GUI library and setup the correct path.
In the next version I might include the GUI library for easier installation, and in case he makes changes to it.
I plan to include "ease-in and ease-out" for the next version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gliss1.jpg (49.1 KB, 727 views)
File Type: jpg gliss2.jpg (45.4 KB, 637 views)
File Type: jpg gliss3.jpg (29.4 KB, 591 views)
hanstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:22 AM   #2
hopi

thanks and yes, please do make it so the GUI lib is included already...

perhaps you could also then put it up on ReaPack?
Old 06-13-2018, 08:07 AM   #3
X-Raym

@hanstheman
Nice one for a first script :P

Thanks for sharing !

Small enhancement:

https://github.com/TheOriginalHansTh...issandi.lua#L1

The dependency are hardcoded, your should consider using relative path (and maybe even pack the GUI library in your repo).
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:10 AM   #4
Lokasenna

Always nice to see people using my GUI. Cheers.

I'm currently in the process of tidying it up for a "stable" release, so I can then make some major rewrites and changes to the structure without pissing anyone off. I'll only ever touch the release version for bug fixes, so it'll be put on ReaPack. I forget the syntax, but I think ReaPack headers can require other packages to be installed somehow.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:38 AM   #5
hanstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Always nice to see people using my GUI. Cheers.

I'm currently in the process of tidying it up for a "stable" release, so I can then make some major rewrites and changes to the structure without pissing anyone off. I'll only ever touch the release version for bug fixes, so it'll be put on ReaPack. I forget the syntax, but I think ReaPack headers can require other packages to be installed somehow.
Sounds nice! I guess I can just include the version of your GUI I'm using for next update of the script. Then in the future when it's included in ReaPack I can look at it again.
It is an amazing GUI thank you so much for making it.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:51 AM   #6
hanstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
@hanstheman
Nice one for a first script :P

Thanks for sharing !

Small enhancement:

https://github.com/TheOriginalHansTh...issandi.lua#L1

The dependency are hardcoded, your should consider using relative path (and maybe even pack the GUI library in your repo).
I will do that for next version

Merci pour tes tutoriels, ça m'a aidé beaucoup!
Old 06-15-2018, 07:12 AM   #7
hanstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
@hanstheman

I'm not entirely sure how this is done. The GUI is located in a folder with subfolders. Do you know how to do this so that it will work on both mac and windows ?
I've tried a couple of ways but it seems difficult to do since Lua is run through Reaper.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:24 AM   #8
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanstheman View Post
I'm not entirely sure how this is done. The GUI is located in a folder with subfolders. Do you know how to do this so that it will work on both mac and windows ?
I've tried a couple of ways but it seems difficult to do since Lua is run through Reaper.
You can copy/paste all of Core.lua in place of the loadfile("Core.lua") command, and likewise for each of the classes. My Script Compiler (I think it's still available on ReaPack) does this, but it looks for a custom function - there's an example on the Help tab, or you can see it used in all of the Example scripts.

Relative paths would require the library to be installed in the same place relative to your script, which is a little trickier. The upcoming release will include an "install" script that saves the library path as an ExtState for scripts to quickly access.

But yeah, at the moment your script requires all users to have the GUI in C:/Users/J/Documents/REAPER Media/Scripts/Lokasenna_GUI-master, which I can pretty much guarantee nobody will.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:28 AM   #9
hanstheman

Default Uploaded final version 0.1 of Glissandi (including Loka's GUI)

Final version 0.1 (including GUI)
https://github.com/TheOriginalHansTheMan/glissandi

In the future I am considering publishing two versions, one including GUI and one without (for those who have it installed).
Old 07-04-2018, 04:00 AM   #10
reapero

I got this error message when running the script, after selecting a couple notes. Any idea?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg delete_glissandi.JPG (20.0 KB, 295 views)
reapero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:40 PM   #11
reapero

Just confirmed this happens in another computer. I am running 5.91..might that be the issue?
Old 07-04-2018, 01:29 PM   #12
hanstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapero View Post
Just confirmed this happens in another computer. I am running 5.91..might that be the issue?
no it should work, and you are using win10 also ?
I also checked on my 2nd computer and it works fine.
I do believe the error is from Loka's GUI since I checked and my script does not use that sign that generates the error. I don't know if the GUI has any dependencies such as SWS, but I'm sure you have that extension installed anyway?
Old 07-04-2018, 01:52 PM   #13
Lokasenna

You've most likely saved the script as HTML when you downloaded it, rather than the actual Lua code.

Try right-clicking this link, choose Save As, and make sure the file ends with .lua: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Th.../Glissandi.lua

Hans - I'd really recommend distributing your scripts through ReaPack. It's simpler, easier for people to find, and keeps this issue from happening (some browsers don't play nicely when you try to download a .lua file).
Old 07-05-2018, 01:01 AM   #14
reapero

You are correct Lokasenna.

Weird thing is i already right click and Saved as, and got a .lua file...so everything looked fine on the file.

I guess i´d be better if i just go and copy the raw text then paste it into a lua file myself when downloading scripts from Github.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:30 AM   #15
Lokasenna

If you're using Safari, this is actually a known issue dating back ten years.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:45 AM   #16
reapero

win10 + chrome here. I guess its not only Safari then!
Old 07-08-2018, 12:38 PM   #17
hanstheman

I usually download as zip from github.
How do I distribute through Reapack ?
Old 07-08-2018, 12:50 PM   #18
Lokasenna

If you're comfortable with services like Github and using Ruby, you can set up your own repository and give out the link for people to add to their ReaPack: https://github.com/cfillion/reapack-index

If you're not comfortable with those, the easiest way is to upload your scripts to the ReaTeam repository: https://github.com/ReaTeam/ReaScripts#contributing
Old 07-08-2018, 12:53 PM   #19
_Stevie_

Oh, we can actually upload our stuff to the ReaTeam repo???
I thought that needs to be acknowledged by the admins.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:56 PM   #20
Lokasenna

ReaTeam members on Github can push files to the repo themselves.

Literally anyone with a Github account can create a pull request though - it creates a duplicate ("fork") of the ReaTeam repo on their account, with their changes/additions, and then requires a team member to check it over and merge it into the main repo.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:31 PM   #21
_Stevie_

I see, thanks for the info!
Old 04-28-2020, 10:49 AM   #22
DANIELE

Could it be possible to add a save scale option so I could save the scales I use more frequently to recall them when if I need to use them often?

Last edited by DANIELE; 04-28-2020 at 11:18 AM.
DANIELE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:30 AM   #23
hanstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANIELE View Post
Could it be possible to add a save scale option so I could save the scales I use more frequently to recall them when if I need to use them often?
Sure I actually planned it all along but haven't been programming for Reaper for the past year or so... I'm slowly getting back to composition and thus will get more motivation for reaper scripting
I checked out your stuff, I'm a bit in the same direction composition wise so could be cool to hear what you'd think Reaper is missing.
I had some ideas to program a better workflow for cinematic-midi users, better ways to save and manipulate MIDI data etc... Keep an eye on this thread - you might find future scripts useful!!

Oh if you are curious you can check out my stuff,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ4UYE61NpE
https://soundcloud.com/hans-jonathan-hummelgaard
Old 04-29-2020, 05:59 AM   #24
DANIELE

Quote:
Sure I actually planned it all along but haven't been programming for Reaper for the past year or so... I'm slowly getting back to composition and thus will get more motivation for reaper scripting
I checked out your stuff, I'm a bit in the same direction composition wise so could be cool to hear what you'd think Reaper is missing.
I had some ideas to program a better workflow for cinematic-midi users, better ways to save and manipulate MIDI data etc... Keep an eye on this thread - you might find future scripts useful!!

Oh if you are curious you can check out my stuff,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ4UYE61NpE
https://soundcloud.com/hans-jonathan-hummelgaard

Ehi thank you so much for answering. I'm full of ideas but lacking in time so I accept with pleasure your invitation.

I'm really an engineer with some little skills in programming (I'm not a programmer but I find easy to learn new languages). Having a few time I have to choose and actually I'm trying to write music for the most part. I hope some day I will have the time to learn lua language (I remember I played with it a bit some years ago). Maybe this collab could be useful to learn something more.

I find Reaper pretty good for me but I must say I had to change my workflow sometimes to adapt to the software due to the lacking of useful functions I would need. I have to re-think about that.

In the mean time I have some useful idea to improve this great plugin. I'm doing a Star Wars like track so I started to write many runs by hand, then I remembered I had your great plugin so I started using it and it is so useful.

Saving favorite scales and maybe get to the user the ability to choose from a predefined range (classic scales, major, minor natural, harmonic, melodic, maybe the various modes and something special like octatonic, pentatonic, diminished and so on...) is one of them.

Maybe instead of pre-configuring all the scale in a menu they could be build them with some simple user settings (tonic, scale type). Then if you want a more specific thing (repetitions etc...you could use the already pretty good interface).

Another idea is to add the ability to do multiple direction scales...well I think I'll stop for now, I don't want to over spam you.

I will follow the thread and I'll check out your links after work.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:00 AM   #25
TonE

Having additionally a huge pull down menu with preset scales would be great, there are many scale jsfx already, data from there could be used. One could load from those presets quickly, then modify further if necessary.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:18 AM   #26
hanstheman

I can make it so that custom scales and data are saved WITH the Reaper project. But sharing data between projects would require writing to desktop file, haven't worked with that before. I'm a Windows user, so would NOT support Mac if I figure it out.
However, right now I'll work on custom MIDI controllers - I managed to communicate between Unity3D and Reaper through the OSC protocol. So you could as an example control Reaper knobs through an XBox controller , or even better through VR!!
You can also trigger scripts inside Reaper, so in terms of one-direction communication you can do almost everything!
I plan to make everything OpenSource and available on Github!
I would DEFINITELY recommend you study LUA scripting, it's made to be one of the easier programming languages.I think it would make the most sense if I tidy up my LUA code so that you or others can easily contribute adding data lists etc... I could make Youtube videos explaining things... I'm still a novice programmer so could use the Github practice of working with others

Funny you mention Star Wars - studying John Williams Star Wars sheet music was my main inspiration behind the plugin

Mm, I think a live VR version of Glissandi would be easy to do, do you have a SteamVR device ?

I'll take your ideas into consideration Thank YOU

Quote:
Ehi thank you so much for answering. I'm full of ideas but lacking in time so I accept with pleasure your invitation.

I'm really an engineer with some little skills in programming (I'm not a programmer but I find easy to learn new languages). Having a few time I have to choose and actually I'm trying to write music for the most part. I hope some day I will have the time to learn lua language (I remember I played with it a bit some years ago). Maybe this collab could be useful to learn something more.

I find Reaper pretty good for me but I must say I had to change my workflow sometimes to adapt to the software due to the lacking of useful functions I would need. I have to re-think about that.

In the mean time I have some useful idea to improve this great plugin. I'm doing a Star Wars like track so I started to write many runs by hand, then I remembered I had your great plugin so I started using it and it is so useful.

Saving favorite scales and maybe get to the user the ability to choose from a predefined range (classic scales, major, minor natural, harmonic, melodic, maybe the various modes and something special like octatonic, pentatonic, diminished and so on...) is one of them.

Maybe instead of pre-configuring all the scale in a menu they could be build them with some simple user settings (tonic, scale type). Then if you want a more specific thing (repetitions etc...you could use the already pretty good interface).

Another idea is to add the ability to do multiple direction scales...well I think I'll stop for now, I don't want to over spam you.

I will follow the thread and I'll check out your links after work.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:18 AM   #27
DANIELE

Quote:
I can make it so that custom scales and data are saved WITH the Reaper project. But sharing data between projects would require writing to desktop file, haven't worked with that before. I'm a Windows user, so would NOT support Mac if I figure it out.
However, right now I'll work on custom MIDI controllers - I managed to communicate between Unity3D and Reaper through the OSC protocol. So you could as an example control Reaper knobs through an XBox controller , or even better through VR!!
You can also trigger scripts inside Reaper, so in terms of one-direction communication you can do almost everything!
I plan to make everything OpenSource and available on Github!
I would DEFINITELY recommend you study LUA scripting, it's made to be one of the easier programming languages.I think it would make the most sense if I tidy up my LUA code so that you or others can easily contribute adding data lists etc... I could make Youtube videos explaining things... I'm still a novice programmer so could use the Github practice of working with others

Funny you mention Star Wars - studying John Williams Star Wars sheet music was my main inspiration behind the plugin

Mm, I think a live VR version of Glissandi would be easy to do, do you have a SteamVR device ?

I'll take your ideas into consideration Thank YOU

I have a Rift S so yeah I have a VR device.

About saving stuff if you don't manage to do this as I said you can build scales based on user settings.

I'll do some Lua tutorial for sure but then I have to learn how to use it inside Reaper, it is not an easy journey.
I tried to look at your code but there are so many lines that I lost myself, obviously it contains the gui code also so I had to find who does what.

Maybe some tutorial about your code would be useful to edit it while someone is learning Lua.

About JW...yeah JW and Glissandi are the same thing.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:19 PM   #28
mek42

Would it work to write all the scales you use into a project template and use that to start new projects?

I'll check out this project after I get my instrument templates sorted. Thanks!
mek42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:40 PM   #29
musicbynumbers

Hans! You're other idea about osc integration for unity is very interesting to me as a sound designer for games

My personal music has gone into the realms of ambisonic/binaural and intend to release it via vr (in the future) so that proper binaural tracking can be done so things like being able to take vr headset positions and send them over vr is going to be super useful so..

Keep up the amazing work!
Old 05-24-2020, 05:13 AM   #30
reapero

Quote:
I can make it so that custom scales and data are saved WITH the Reaper project. But sharing data between projects would require writing to desktop file
Sorry if i didnt get this clearly but, shouldnt ExtState (instead of ProjExtState) work in this context?

Quote:
So you could as an example control Reaper knobs through an XBox controller , or even better through VR!!
Wow, that sounds interesting! Please do share your advances (i am a game audio dude too!)

Quote:
Having additionally a huge pull down menu with preset scales would be great, there are many scale jsfx already, data from there could be used. One could load from those presets quickly, then modify further if necessary.

You know what i always wanted for this and other glissandi tools? A Learn mode where you can click on notes on a simple piano roll gfx (we could steal Reaper´s MIDI input as well i guess and just bang the notes on your MIDI controller), with option to delete the last note just in case you clicked on the wrong one to define the scale.
I suck at theory and, more often than not, i am using custom scales so its easier for me to just play the notes i am interested in than think "well yeah this is a b5 dominant with flat 11th add semi altered diminished 6th..this is just too painful to me.

Thanks Hans
Old 05-24-2020, 11:43 AM   #31
alex_

great script, I'd appreciate a learn function but a pull down menu for scales should be easier to accomplish I guess. I tried to force Midi notes to key signature with key snap enabled, but it messes up the glissando.

hans, do you think it is possible that your script could write the glissando in the key signature of the key snap the piano roll is set to?

Thanks for the script!
alex_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:24 AM   #32
DANIELE

Ehi Hans I had a few hours of time to play with your great plugin and I managed to add Scales and Chords as user settings.

I still don't know the lua very well so maybe my code could be optimized a bit but it works really great.

I studied a bit also the guy system but it lacks in examples and tutorials so I managed only to do basic things.

I put in the main loop some code that set the sliders based on tonic and scale type choosed by user.
You can also do chords arpeggios.

To allow the user for manual sliders editing I added a button that avoid the scale to be forced by drop down menus.

Thank you so much for writing this awesome script. Now I'm able to set scales only by choosing tonic and type.

Old 05-25-2020, 03:12 PM   #33
alex_

Quote:
Ehi Hans I had a few hours of time to play with your great plugin and I managed to add Scales and Chords as user settings.
damn, this looks like a great addition!
Old 05-25-2020, 10:48 PM   #34
DANIELE

Ehi Hans is it ok for you if I share here this addition?

All the credits go to you, you did the job I only added a few lines of code.

Thank you.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:29 AM   #35
_Stevie_

Oh wow Daniele, that looks really awesome. looking forward to this addition!
I'm sure Hans will agree on releasing it.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:30 AM   #36
DANIELE

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Oh wow Daniele, that looks really awesome. looking forward to this addition!
I'm sure Hans will agree on releasing it.

Thank you Stevie. I'm planning to do some more things even if I'm pretty satisfied with this one.

For example the two "manual" buttons you see do the same thing but I decided to replicate them because it is more user friendly I think.

Maybe I could move the buttons in another area and rework the interface, I don't know.

Let's wait for Hans permission, then I will share this little work I did.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:44 PM   #37
DANIELE

I get the authorization from Hans to publish this little addition I made.

You can overwrite the previous one (I leaved the same name to avoid confusion). The functions are the same of the original but now you can set a scale based on the tonic and the type. You can also do some chord arpeggios using the same method.

The scales and chords type lists could be expanded obviously, especially the chords one.

The UI should be quite intuitive but here's a short explanation:

• By default the interface works with the scale tonic and type selection, if you want to set it manually you have to press the button "Manual Scale Set". If you want to came back to the menu selection you have to press "Menu Scale Set";
  • Same thing for the chords, if you want to use those menus you have to press "Menu Chord Scale Set" before. Same thing as before if you want to manually edit the sliders;
  • The button "Reset all to 0" set all the sliders to 0 (incredible, right?!?) if you want to start from scratch doing something yours.
In the future Hans told me that he want to implemet a save scale function, maybe I will try to do the same when I have time.
I would also like to remove that buttons and doing the things automatically based on mouse click but I have to do some more experiments to understand how lokasenna gui works using that methods.

If you have suggestions or if you find bugs feel free to share them here.

PS keep in mind I'm not a professional coder so I did this for my usage and I like to share it with you.

Enjoy.
Attached Files
File Type: lua Glissandi.lua (126.1 KB, 97 views)
Old 05-29-2020, 03:43 AM   #38
alex_

Quote:
I get the authorization from Hans to publish this little addition I made.
Enjoy.
Great, thank you Daniele, and of course thanks Hans!
Old 05-29-2020, 11:24 PM   #39
hanstheman

Default Saving data to Reaper..

Hey all, I'm super happy there is so much interest in the script! And thanks Daniele to extending functionality!!

I found my old script that also uses the GUI ver. 2, where you can store basic midi notes and a few other data along with your Reaper project file (among other things, mostly experimental stuff!), so should be super easy to incorporate that into the Glissandi script..

It uses a modified version of the GUI's block class... I'll upload it for reference but I haven't looked at it for years.
BUT the serialize and deserialize methods for storing data could easily be modified to save data into the Glissandi script...

I apologize if it isn't working, I haven't checked it with newer Reaper versions..

I don't know when I will have time to work on it so anybody feel free to do it yourself XD
Attached Files
File Type: lua Class - Block.lua (6.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: lua dmg.lua (27.1 KB, 62 views)
Old 06-12-2020, 07:00 AM   #40
reapero

Great script! Would be very nice to intercept the MIDI notes with it so at least you could enter the scale tonic with the keyboard.

Thanks hans and Daniele!

EDIT: Well, maybe just a change in the UI displaying the notes and scales directly instead of the dropdown would be enough for starters. That would make 2 clicks instead of four.