Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 01-13-2009, 11:17 AM   #81
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiboss View Post
I'm not saying, that Toontrack's Drumtracker is bad (Also has visual control of tracking), but we have a free altREAnativ here and working GREAT!!!!
Thanks a lot, midiboss! Once the basic features of DrumReaplacer are perfected I'll look inte having visual control of the tracking as well.

Regards,
- Jonas
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:40 AM   #82
Smurf

Here are some samples that I have used before. They sound good and the price is right!

Tom Hicks Samples
http://kondratko.com/TomHicks/tom_hicks_samples.html

Tchackpoum - Grab the Lagrosse Set
http://tchackpoum.free.fr/

Michael Kingston Ruffrider & Easyrider
http://www.michaelkingston.fi/kingstondrums/files.html

G&S Custom Work Drum kit Sample Library 1.0
http://www.autodafe.net/dblog/storico.asp?s=Samples

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Smurf; 01-24-2009 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Bad Links
Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:08 PM   #83
midiboss

Excellent! I have just one question;
What's the logic behind DrumReaplacer's several decreasing dynamic samples in single wav file with digital pause between?
Is it like MIDI, so samples are triggered according to their velocity?
midiboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #84
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiboss View Post
Excellent! I have just one question;
What's the logic behind DrumReaplacer's several decreasing dynamic samples in single wav file with digital pause between?
Is it like MIDI, so samples are triggered according to their velocity?
Exactly, when the incoming audio contains a hit DrumReaplacer compares the strength of that hit with the different samples in the sample source file (ssf) and chooses the best matching one (so the samples in the ssf can really be in any order).

The one thing to remember when making ssf:s in to have at least 50 ms of digital silence between each sample, this is how DrumReaplacer knows where the samples begin and end.

Regards,
- Jonas
Old 01-19-2009, 11:31 PM   #85
Masr

Default VST ....?

So when can we expect the VST version? I have some projects also in Cubese LE4 and I would love to use it there too.
Masr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #86
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

I have thought about making a VST version but it will take some serious work on my part since I haven't done any programming in c++ for years. In short, it might happen but not anytime soon.

But if anyone is up for teaching me c++ I'd love to be the student

Regards,
- Jonas
Old 01-21-2009, 06:01 AM   #87
AdamWathan

This plug in is fantastic, thanks so much! My only suggestion is to add a slider that lets you control how sensitive it is to the incoming velocity... I tend to use samples to reinforce my recorded tracks and in apTrigga I set it so that the sample that plays is the same volume no matter how loud the original track is. This way it sort of works like a compressor and a sample replacer at once. Also, a lot of guys in the metal scene for example like to replace their kicks with samples and they want each hit the same volume which you can't do with this plugin unless the drummer who was being recorded managed to record a flawless kick track with no dynamics at all... I guess you could copy the original track, throw a limiter on it that catches even the quietest hits and then trigger from that as a work around, but it would be cool to have it incorporated into the plugin. Thanks again!
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:54 AM   #88
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
This plug in is fantastic, thanks so much! My only suggestion is to add a slider that lets you control how sensitive it is to the incoming velocity...
Thank you for your kind words! I am planning to add a Velocity stretch-slider (0-100%) to control how much DrumReaplacer adjusts the volume of the samples to that of the incoming audio. Then all you have to do is set that slider to 0% and DrumReaplacer will play back all samples exactly like they are in the sample source file.

Which also means that if you use a sample source file containg only hits of the same velocity (meaning "hard", if you're a metal guy : ) all replaced hits will have the same velocity. Does that sound like a good solution?

Until then the simplest way to acheive what your after would be to add a ReaGate before DrumReaplacer and set it to emit only noise when the gate opens.

Regards,
- Jonas

Last edited by Jonas_Eriksson_Swe; 01-21-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:34 AM   #89
Frankie Carroll

Thanks Jonas for such a great Plug In! We just spent all of last week recording drums and we were unhappy with the kick drum sound, we were contemplating going into a proffesional recording studio to re-record the drums to get the sound we wanted when I found out about REAplacer - withen a few minutes of installing it we had a fantastic sounding kick drum! We were so impressed we are currently doing the same for the snare and toms!

I think the drums are one of the most important things in a track and it is really important to get a good sound. REAplacer has saved us a lot of time and effort and put us back on schedule.

Thanks again Jonas - Keep up the good work

www.officialbandwagon.com
Frankie Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:00 AM   #90
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Carroll View Post
Thanks Jonas for such a great Plug In! We just spent all of last week recording drums and we were unhappy with the kick drum sound, we were contemplating going into a proffesional recording studio to re-record the drums to get the sound we wanted when I found out about REAplacer - withen a few minutes of installing it we had a fantastic sounding kick drum! We were so impressed we are currently doing the same for the snare and toms!

I think the drums are one of the most important things in a track and it is really important to get a good sound. REAplacer has saved us a lot of time and effort and put us back on schedule.

Thanks again Jonas - Keep up the good work

www.officialbandwagon.com
Thanks a lot, Frankie! Do let me know if there's anything that could be modified to make DrumReaplacer work even better.

I listened to a few songs on your myspace page and I liked it. Do post any of the new songs once they're done so I can hear DrumReaplacer in action! (You might wanna listen to a song called 'Banka vett i mig' by my band Inspektionen, the bridge and the chorus are a bit Thin Lizzyish: http://inspektionen.se/musik/Inspekt...vett_i_mig.mp3)

Regards,
- Jonas
who still has a few things to fix before releasing (unleashing?)DrumReaplacer 1.0
Old 02-02-2009, 03:17 PM   #91
pipelineaudio
Mortal

arranging these into manual dynamic groups would be cool somehow, maybe when more stuff is opened up to js

Being able to say "if trigger level is >x1<x2 then use random samples from this group for instance
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:38 AM   #92
Alxi

Hi all

1st thanks for sharing this with us Jonas.

This would probably be ne noobiest ( for lack of a better word ) question of this thread.

I'm new to reaper. How do you instal it ? All i see is code.

Thanks

-Alxi-
Alxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:54 PM   #93
pipelineaudio
Mortal

hopefully he will edit the install instructions into the first post

Here's how mine is

Old 02-04-2009, 11:06 AM   #94
Alxi

Thanks pipeline.
Alxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:43 AM   #95
TheArchitect

Iam intrigued by this tool. I apologize if I missed it but will this utilize commercially available sample libraries like the Andy Johns or Steven Slate collections?
4gb Geil RAM / WD Caviar SE16 7200rmp SATA2 drives / Antec 650w Trio PS
RMA Hammerfall 9632 w/ 4input daughter board

Reamote Slave
Reaper v3.12
Intel P4 2.6gh / 2gb RAM / WD Caviar SE16 7200rmp SATA2 drives

Apps
Antares v5 / Kompact v1.04 / Melodyne
Kjaerhus GCO-1Compressor
Kjaerhus Classic Plugs / SIR1
TheArchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:31 PM   #96
pipelineaudio
Mortal

there's another thread about multisamples for this plugin, hopefully itll be merged somehow in the first post. You'll have to place them yourself but it can be done
Old 02-05-2009, 05:31 PM   #97
Shan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
arranging these into manual dynamic groups would be cool somehow, maybe when more stuff is opened up to js

Being able to say "if trigger level is >x1<x2 then use random samples from this group for instance
Ya, and on my wish list for this killer plug-in is to use multi mic'd samples that would get sent to your Overhead and Room channels etc. I have a lot of custom multi mic'd samples that consist of 12-16 tracks or so. It would be great to trigger these and have them sent to different audio or aux tracks. It would take this plug-in to a whole new level.

Excellent work and well done Jonas!

Shane

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Last edited by Shan; 02-05-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:45 AM   #98
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

I so haven't had time to reply as I should to DrumReaplacer related questions lately, sorry about that.

Quote:

It's not hard to do, but I really think the current implementation would sound better - what DrumReaplacer does now is that it compares the velocity of the incoming hit with those of the samples in the Sample source file and chooses the best matching one. If Force variation is used and the best matching sample was used recently, DrumReaplacer will choose the next best matching sample and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alxi View Post
I'm new to reaper. How do you instal it ? All i see is code.
I really should make a better installation instruction - maybe the best thing to do is to write a generic JS plug in installation tutorial and put it in the Wiki? Thanks pipe for helping when I didn't have the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
Iam intrigued by this tool. I apologize if I missed it but will this utilize commercially available sample libraries like the Andy Johns or Steven Slate collections?
It can use any samples as long as they are in .wav format. If the libraries you are talking about are in .gog you'll have to convert the to .wav but then they'll work (I know a few DrumReaplacer users are sucessfully doing this, try opening a .gog as raw audio in for example Wavosaur). A Sample source file is just a wav file containg a bunch of samples with a few milliseconds (>50) of digital silence to separate the one sample from the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Ya, and on my wish list for this killer plug-in is to use multi mic'd samples that would get sent to your Overhead and Room channels etc. I have a lot of custom multi mic'd samples that consist of 12-16 tracks or so. It would be great to trigger these and have them sent to different audio or aux tracks. It would take this plug-in to a whole new level.

Excellent work and well done Jonas!

Shane
Yeah that would be cool, but for the moment a JS plug in can only use a few megabytes of memory so I don't think that's possible unless we get Justin and the other devs to up that limit. If that was done it would be fairly easy to output samples to diffrent tracks on one channel.

A workaround would be to make some sort of master plug-in that controls slave plug ins but that would be a lot of work...

Regards,
- Jonas
Old 02-07-2009, 04:10 PM   #99
OrenS

First of all, thank you Jonas for this wonderful plugin!

I'm trying to "rescue" a snare track. The thing is, rim shots sound perfectly fine, and so do the snare rolls (there are quite a few of them). It's the regular snares that sound like a tin can...
Is there a way to tell Reaplacer that when nothing is activated by the threshold to keep the original signal (the rimshots and rolls are significantly softer than other hits, so that should solve it).

Thanks!
OrenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:56 AM   #100
Shan

Interesting...it works.

[img]http://img213.**************/img213/6661/jdrgw1.png[/img]

Shane

Old 02-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #101
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrenS View Post
First of all, thank you Jonas for this wonderful plugin!

I'm trying to "rescue" a snare track. The thing is, rim shots sound perfectly fine, and so do the snare rolls (there are quite a few of them). It's the regular snares that sound like a tin can...
Is there a way to tell Reaplacer that when nothing is activated by the threshold to keep the original signal (the rimshots and rolls are significantly softer than other hits, so that should solve it).

Thanks!
Thanks for your kind words!

What you're looking for is not built into DrumReaplacer yet (although it's on the to do list), but thanks to Reaper's routing you still do it.

Check out this project: https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/396203/...%20routing.zip

How it's done:

Duplicate your snare track and insert DrumReaplacer on the newly created one, adjust it so it only replaces the regular snares and make sure original signal is set to zero percent.

Now send that replaced snare to channel 3/4 on your first (the original) snare track (set its number of track channels to four) and insert ReaComp on that track. Set ReaComp's Detector input to Auxilliary input L+R and adjust threshold, ratio (set it high!) and knee size so that it ducks the original "tin can"-snare every time a replaced snare is played. (To really duck it, use a ReaGate befor the ReaComp and set the ReaGate to send noise when it's open - see the project I posted.)

Sounds harder than it is, but give it a go, take a look at the project (above) and post again if you run in to trouble!

Regards,
- Jonas

Last edited by Jonas_Eriksson_Swe; 02-09-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:45 AM   #102
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Quote:
Interesting...it works.

[img]http://img213.**************/img213/6661/jdrgw1.png[/img]

Shane
Cool! But does the pdc (plug in delay compensation) work? Does the replaced hits sync with the original ones?

Regards,
-Jonas
Old 02-09-2009, 01:46 PM   #103
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

No more installation problems! Here's a zip with installation info, the plug in and a demo project.

http://nejnas.se/audio/jsfx/DrumReaplacer-test-kit.zip

So what are you waitng for? Go replace some drums!

Regards,
- Jonas

[EDIT: I forgot to put one file in the zip when I uploaded, it's now updated ]

Last edited by Jonas_Eriksson_Swe; 04-08-2009 at 02:48 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:25 PM   #104
Shan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas_Eriksson_Swe View Post
Cool! But does the pdc (plug in delay compensation) work? Does the replaced hits sync with the original ones?

Regards,
-Jonas
The delay in samples is a little over 4000. Since PT LE has no delay compensation(on the way though finally) so it doesn't get compensated. I haven't tried PT HD yet though. It does sync up with the original and sounds pretty bang on by ear. I still have more testing to do with it. I'll record the replacement track and see how it relates to the original.

Shane

Old 02-15-2009, 12:54 PM   #105
OrenS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas_Eriksson_Swe View Post
Thanks for your kind words!

What you're looking for is not built into DrumReaplacer yet (although it's on the to do list), but thanks to Reaper's routing you still do it.
Just saw it. Thanks!

Oren
OrenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:46 AM   #106
recordonlocation

First off, Thanks for an incredible plug in. I do live recordings, which is not good for getting quality drum sounds, and this is a life saver!

My only problem is that on my Mac whenever I open the project again, it won't play the correct samples and there is a huge latency issue. I have to go into edit and do a full reset/recompile for each sample and then reload every one and its settings. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, I cant output a master mix with these samples on the tracks. It has the same problem. The samples are late and they aren't the samples I programmed. I have to play it into my mixer and then record the mix back onto a separate track.

Any help???

Andrew
recordonlocation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:08 PM   #107
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Quote:
Originally Posted by recordonlocation View Post
First off, Thanks for an incredible plug in. I do live recordings, which is not good for getting quality drum sounds, and this is a life saver!

My only problem is that on my Mac whenever I open the project again, it won't play the correct samples and there is a huge latency issue. I have to go into edit and do a full reset/recompile for each sample and then reload every one and its settings. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, I cant output a master mix with these samples on the tracks. It has the same problem. The samples are late and they aren't the samples I programmed. I have to play it into my mixer and then record the mix back onto a separate track.

Any help???

Andrew
I've recently switched to Mac myself so I hope I can help. What version of Reaper are you using? I had similar problems when I first installed Reaper Mac, but on more, and I think they might have been solved when I installed the version 3 pre-release. Could you try that? Regards, Jonas.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #108
iscaryoth

Default reaper x64 troubles

Did anyone manage to run it on a x64 version? At first it didn't even load the file. The status was "file not loaded", although I could choose one from the list. Then when I switched to 32-bit edition it worked flawlessly. Back again in x64 it signalled that the file got loaded, even number of samples was right, but there was no output. Of course setting original signal to 100% "worked".

Last edited by iscaryoth; 03-08-2009 at 03:09 PM. Reason: clarification
iscaryoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:53 PM   #109
sstillwell

Quote:
...Since PT LE has no delay compensation(on the way though finally)...

Shane
Say WHAT??? They're putting PDC into LE/M-Powered???

*goes to look for snowballs in hot places*

Scott
Old 03-08-2009, 02:41 AM   #110
Shan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstillwell View Post
Say WHAT??? They're putting PDC into LE/M-Powered???

*goes to look for snowballs in hot places*

Scott
LE will be 10 years old this coming September. Let's see if it makes it in before then.

Shane

Old 03-26-2009, 01:10 AM   #111
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Whats the latest on this most useful of plugins? Im getting ready to make Drum ReaPlacer versions of all my samples
Old 03-26-2009, 03:54 AM   #112
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Darn, I was afraid someone would ask that Actually I haven't done much about it lately. I have one file loading thing to sort out (remember that tom-sample from hell?) but other than that it works as expected.

I have a few ideas I would like to try, one is Solidify - two thresholds inbetween which all hits are made as loud as the upper threshold, to give a solid feel to a drum track.

But once I get the file loading fixed I'll ask Justin to include it in Reaper (maybe be when 3.0 is released?).

Is there anything specific you would like me to add/change in DrumReaplacer?(You are after all the only person I know who do drum replacing for a living )

Regards,
- Jonas
Old 03-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #113
pipelineaudio
Mortal

No, all I need is a solid idea on how exactly to arrange the samples themselves. As long as 50 msec is still ok between them Im ready to put some out
Old 03-26-2009, 09:05 PM   #114
Switch

Friggin' AWESOME plug-in this is. I've used it with great success on badly mic'd kick track. I'm really keen to see how far this thing can go!
Switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:24 PM   #115
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Quote:
No, all I need is a solid idea on how exactly to arrange the samples themselves. As long as 50 msec is still ok between them Im ready to put some out
50 msec will work great - looking forward to your new samples! Regards,
- Jonas
Old 04-03-2009, 06:40 AM   #116
kirk

Default THANK YOU!

I'm a little late to the party here,but that is in part due to Drumagog. I have been following the thread ,but just yesterday decided to use Drum Re placer. Man you hit the drum on the head ,foe show.
Thank you for all your kind hard work. Just one question. Does anyone have instruction on how to convert gog files to WAV?

In answer to OrenS 's question,,,,another more laborious way would be to split out just the crappy snare parts and copy them to another track directly below the original and then drag the Drum REAplacer Fx plug directly on the duplicated split outs ,so that it just triggers off those splits. Hope that makes sense.
kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:57 AM   #117
mr. moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk View Post
Just one question. Does anyone have instruction on how to convert gog files to WAV?
I think that is discussed earlier in the thread using Wavosaur, which is donationware, and works very well. I have converted a bunch of GOGs with it, and it has worked out well.

-mr moon

www.soundclick.com/mrmoon
mr. moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:43 AM   #118
pipelineaudio
Mortal

how would you do it with wavosaur?
Old 04-03-2009, 10:45 AM   #119
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Quote:
how would you do it with wavosaur?
Import the .gog as a binary file, you'll have to do some guesswork on bitdepth, samplerate and no of channels but other than that it works great.

- Jonas

Last edited by Jonas_Eriksson_Swe; 04-03-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:28 PM   #120
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Thats not going to be the correct space between hits though, right?