Old 05-11-2018, 04:24 AM   #41
sai'ke
Human being with feelings

There are a few limitations which make it impossible to fully capture these keymappings, but we can try to get as close as possible. For one, I can't distinguish left control/shift/alt from right. Also, a volume can not exist without a note in MIDI for instance.

There are some ambiguities in the description, maybe you can help me.

FT2
When the manual says delete note, does that just delete it in the current spot, or also pull the notes at that location up by one?
When the manual says insert note, does that insert a row, or just add a note to the current cell? What note is added, the last one that was active?
How does one enter notes in FT2? Is there a virtual keyboard? Or do you enter C for C and D for D?
When the manual reads transpose current instrument in track down, does that then refer to the selected block or the entire column?

Renoise
How does one enter notes in Renoise? Is there a virtual keyboard? Or do you enter C for C and D for D?
Considering that renoise repurposes F9-F12, where do you think it would make sense to put the options screen, harmonizer, midi panic button and stop command?

The more specific the info you give me, the closer I can get to enabling your workflow

Just for reference, these are the actions that need to be remapped now. New actions could be added if you can provide me with a description of what they should do:
Code:
      { 'Arrow Keys', 'Move' },
      { 'Insert/Backspace/-', 'Insert/Remove/Note OFF' },   
      { 'Del/.', 'Delete' }, 
      { 'Space/Return', 'Play/Play From' },
      { 'CTRL + L', 'Loop pattern' },
      { 'CTRL + Q/W', 'Loop start/end' },
      { 'Shift + +/-', 'Transpose selection' },
      { 'CTRL + B/E', 'Selection begin/End' },
      { 'SHIFT + Arrow Keys', 'Block selection' },
      { 'CTRL + C/X/V', 'Copy / Cut / Paste' },
      { 'CTRL + I', 'Interpolate' },
      { 'Shift + Del', 'Delete block' },
      { 'CTRL + (SHIFT) + Z', 'Undo / Redo' }, 
      { 'SHIFT + Alt + Up/Down', '[Res]olution Up/Down' },
      { 'SHIFT + Alt + Enter', '[Res]olution Commit' },  
      { 'CTRL + Up/Down', '[Oct]ave up/down' },
      { 'CTRL + Shift + Up/Down', '[Env]elope change' },
      { 'F4/F5', '[Adv]ance De/Increase' },
      { 'F2/F3', 'MIDI [out] down/up' },
      { 'F8/F11/F12', 'Stop / Options / Panic' },
      { 'CTRL + Left/Right', 'Switch MIDI item' },
      { 'CTRL + D', 'Duplicate pattern' },
      { 'CTRL + N', 'Rename pattern' },
      { 'CTRL + R', 'Play notes' },
      { 'CTRL + +/-', 'Advanced col options' },
      { 'CTRL + Shift + +/-', 'Add CC (adv mode)' },
      { '', '' },
      { 'Harmony helper', '' },      
      { 'F9', 'Toggle harmonizer' },
      { 'CTRL + Click', 'Insert chord' },
      { 'Alt', 'Invert first note' },
      { 'Shift', 'Invert second note' },
      { 'CTRL + Shift + Alt + +/-', 'Shift root note' },
Old 05-11-2018, 04:06 PM   #42
_TIP_

@sai'ke: The key commands other than the "note off" are totally fine and easy, My main issue is that i can't edit the grid resolution (LPB), currently we can only right in up to 1/16 notes... If you could add the LPB (lines per beat) option is all that i personally need, the higher the LPB, the greater the resolution to edit notes (1/32, 1/64, 1/128).
_TIP_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:33 AM   #43
sai'ke

Hey man,

Shift + Alt + Up / Down changes the tickets per beat.
Since it is a potentially destructive operation (when shrinking), you have to confirm the new choice by hitting Shift + Alt + Enter.

Is that what you meant?
Old 05-12-2018, 02:42 PM   #44
filtah

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai'ke View Post
Hello all,

I don't know if anyone has migrated from Buzz, Impulse, ModPlug or some other tracker to REAPER, but I missed the tracker so much that I wrote one in Lua as a plugin.

It's meant for tracking MIDI notes and automating FX. Simply click a MIDI media item and start the script and it will do the rest. Note that the tracker itself is not a sampler and doesn't do anything in terms of sample playback.

Anyways, in case anyone else is interested, it can be found here: https://github.com/JoepVanlier/Hackey-Trackey

I'm still actively developing it, but it should already be pretty usable in its current state (I mean, I use it at least! ). If you run into a problem with it or have a feature request don't hesitate to ask.

Just wanted to say a big thank you for creating this.
I'm not a massive reaper user, but I have basically been dreaming of creating something like this for some time. amazing work!!
filtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:58 AM   #45
sai'ke

Happy to help!
If you want to add features or customize it, please feel free to.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:58 AM   #46
fladd

For Renoise:

Notes are entered like in any other tracker (i.e. with the computer keyboard; z=C3, s=C#3, q=C4, etc.). Tab or a = note off.

Harmonizer could be Alt+h
Options could be Alt+o
MIDI panic in Renoise is clicking stop button twice
Key shortcut for stop in Renoise is same as start (space key; it is a toggle)
Old 05-15-2018, 01:56 AM   #47
sai'ke

Thanks! I will try to get this layout added next weekend!
Old 05-19-2018, 12:49 PM   #48
_TIP_

Hey sai'ke, i hope you are well! Sorry to bother you once more with my requests :s
Could you please add support for the full computer keyboard to play the notes like in renoise? Here is a screenshot from Redux (Renoise)

Also, could you make somehow the script to remember the resolution and all the other settings every time you run it?
Thanks again!!!
Old 05-19-2018, 01:27 PM   #49
fladd

Quote:
Thanks! I will try to get this layout added next weekend!
Awesome!
Old 05-19-2018, 01:37 PM   #50
fladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by _TIP_ View Post
Hey sai'ke, i hope you are well! Sorry to bother you once more with my requests :s
Could you please add support for the full computer keyboard to play the notes like in renoise? Here is a screenshot from Redux (Renoise)
+1 ...
Old 05-19-2018, 05:34 PM   #51
sai'ke

Helloooo

Okay, I have made it so it stores settings globally now too. It stores a default for the resolution, octave, envelope type and advance. If a pattern is seen by the tracker for the first time, this default will be used. And the default will always be set to the last pattern in which you made changes to any of these settings.

Settings are also stored locally in each pattern. These are used preferentially over the defaults if they are available (sometimes you want specific settings for specific patterns). If you do not wish pattern specific settings to be loaded, you can turn it off in the options by unchecking "use settings stored in pattern". You cannot turn it off for resolution, because that would be a destructive operation.

As for the keymappings:
- I got most of the renoise keyboard mapping to work, except for slash. Slash is reserved for the octave changing (as per renoise layout). Since I can't make the distinction between the numpad slash and the main keyboard slash, I can't map this one to a note.
- Capslock for note off wasn't available as keycode so I made it backslash
- For the enter key I cannot make the distinction between numpad and main, so enter sets current pattern as loop.

P.S. If you report bugs, please make sure you're on v1.51
Old 05-20-2018, 06:12 PM   #52
sai'ke

Also added the option for "follow", which will follow the play position around. Toggle with CTRL+F or in the options menu.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:34 PM   #53
_TIP_

Great update, you ROCK sai'ke!!!
A few things I've noticed though are that
1. After changing the settings to Renoise and then closing the script, I'm not able to access the settings tab anymore because "F11" shortcut is taken by the Renoise's new shortcut 'Go to "50%". A nice addition would be to have access to all the settings ("F11 TAB" and Octave,resolution,etc... by mouse as well.
2. When you activate the Record CTRL+R, the notes are hanging up until i press the "ESC" button to stop the Panic
3. The colors in the existing skins are not that clear (or my eyes need to be checked), i would personally love to see something like the standard Redux (Renoise) skin, is so clear and crisp:

Thank you again for everything sai'ke, i really appreciate all of your hard work, your script is one of the few that i personally believe should be native with the Reaper setup!
Old 05-21-2018, 04:45 PM   #54
sai'ke

1. The settings under the renoise skin are under CTRL + O(ptions). F1 is available under all skins and shows you the mapping. I'm not sure where to put additional buttons, I kind of want to keep the tracker window relatively small, so that I can have multiple open.
2. Yeah. Currently, it plays until you either stop the panic or do a note off. This is by design. I will consider making an alternative option to make it stop when you stop holding it.
3. I've added a new skin. I hope you like it. It's not a perfect copy (I don't have the font for instance), but it is much closer to their layout than any of the others are

If you want it different, look in the script. Playing around with the colors isn't as hard as it seems.

In other news: I've added mouse interactivity to the lower bar. You can also click and drag there now to change octave, envelope, out channel, recording status and stuff. Note that for the resolution, you have to confirm your choice by clicking the right mouse button while still holding the left from the dragging. This is to make sure that you don't do it by accident (since it can mess up the column locations of notes in your pattern).

Lots of changes. Might be a little bumpy, so let me know if you run into bugs.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:42 PM   #55
_TIP_

WOW!New skin and mouse options are amazing, thank you so much!
So, every time i check the box "Info Sticks to Bottom" in the options menu, the script is crashing and giving me that message:

Also, is there already an option to start the playback from the position you are in the pattern, instead of always starting the playback from wherever Reaper is set it up to?
Old 05-22-2018, 02:17 AM   #56
sai'ke

Play from and stop are not assigned in the renoise keymap at the moment (the other ones do have it). The reason being that the key in the mapping posted said right control and I can't differentiate between left and right control (and you don't want playback starting whenever you copy paste a block for instance).

Enter, which would have been my second choice, was already taken by "set loop to pattern". Caps-lock would've been my third, but this keypress I cannot detect within REAPER.

What key do you think would make most sense for this? F5? Ctrl+Space? Control + Enter (if this is even possible, I'd have to check)?

And oops! I will try and fix that bug tonight. I think I know where it comes from.

Does it still open? Or did it now save your setting and doesn't let you open the tracker anymore? If that's the case, go into the %appdata%\Roaming\REAPER\Scripts\TrackerTools folder and delete the cfg file there. Or wait till I update the script when I get home tonight
Old 05-22-2018, 07:00 AM   #57
_TIP_

I think a combination of the Space bar with either SHIFT, CTRL or ALT button would be the best, what ever works is fine (CTRL + Space or SHIFT + SPACE or ALT + SPACE). Yes, what i did was deleting the configuration file from the scripts folder so i could use the script once again without getting that message on startup.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:44 PM   #58
Thalamus

Hey! Just found this. I'm a Renoise guy and have been tracking since the c64 so thank you for this one!!!

One of the commands I used a lot in Renoise is to cut the note after x ticks. You can get some really short stuff going that way, get very groovy without resorting to crazy pattern speeds to get the resolution.

I wonder if it's possible with your Reaper tracker?

The Renoise theme is the obvious choice for me, I can't seem to Delete notes with that though. The Del key doesnt work. Works with the other themes though..

Another question, regarding the FX column for controlling a VSTi parameter; I notice that when I place, say, 10 FF 10 as a sequence here what I see and hear on the envelope is a linear ramp from 10 to FF then linear ramp back to 10 .. as expected really. But I wonder if it's possible to make this sharper, more like an instant change (ramping more quickly to the values, producing a squarer result)?

Also, it might make sense to allow this script to be accessible by MIDI Editor toolbar?

Again, thank you for sharing this with us old tracker dogs It has made me very happy!

ooh, found a problem;

If I make a block selection from 28 to 31 and hit CTRL+X it throws this error "...Roaming\REAPER\Scripts\Tracker tools\Tracker\tracker.lua:5095: attempt to compare number with nil"

Last edited by Thalamus; 05-22-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Thalamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:56 PM   #59
sai'ke

Quote:
I think a combination of the Space bar with either SHIFT, CTRL or ALT button would be the best, what ever works is fine (CTRL + Space or SHIFT + SPACE or ALT + SPACE). Yes, what i did was deleting the configuration file from the scripts folder so i could use the script once again without getting that message on startup.
I just committed a fix for the bug. Also added a version of the theme which actually uses a more similar and crispy font. Shift + Space plays from current position now with the renoise keyset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalamus View Post
Hey! Just found this. I'm a Renoise guy and have been tracking since the c64 so thank you for this one!!!

Quote:
One of the commands I used a lot in Renoise is to cut the note after x ticks. You can get some really short stuff going that way, get very groovy without resorting to crazy pattern speeds to get the resolution.

I wonder if it's possible with your Reaper tracker?
Currently not. But I think I could implement it with some caveats. There's some internal rounding going on due to MIDI timing precision, so if I added an optional column like that, it is possible that you'd see some rounding going on (values not being exactly what you entered).

Quote:
Another question, regarding the FX column for controlling a VSTi parameter; I notice that when I place, say, 10 FF 10 as a sequence here what I see and hear on the envelope is a linear ramp from 10 to FF then linear ramp back to 10 .. as expected really. But I wonder if it's possible to make this sharper, more like an instant change (ramping more quickly to the values, producing a squarer result)?
That's what the env field is meant for. Set it to S&H for an instantaneous change and exp for sigmoidal. I will add "fst" for a fast one in the next update (reaper's fast start).

Quote:
Also, it might make sense to allow this script to be accessible by MIDI Editor toolbar?
I haven't figured out how to do this yet, but if you know, please let me know. It's on my to-do list, but not super high priority

Quote:
Again, thank you for sharing this with us old tracker dogs It has made me very happy!
Makes me happy that you like it
Old 05-22-2018, 01:57 PM   #60
sai'ke

Quote:
ooh, found a problem;

If I make a block selection from 28 to 31 and hit CTRL+X it throws this error "...Roaming\REAPER\Scripts\Tracker tools\Tracker\tracker.lua:5095: attempt to compare number with nil"
Do you have file with which I can reproduce this?

Quote:
Actually, now that I think of this again, how is it different from note off's? Do you want subtick note off?

Last edited by sai'ke; 05-22-2018 at 02:19 PM.
sai'ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:24 PM   #61
Thalamus

-- "Do you have file with which I can reproduce this?"

It is not doing it now. Intermittent then. I will stay vigilant.

-- "Actually, now that I think of this again, how is it different from note off's? Do you want subtick note off?"

Yes, a note off that is shorter than a single note length. Aye, sub tick it is!

Could you explain how the Env field works. I set that to S&H and it seems to flip back to Exp when I traverse the pattern.
I set this in the Env [] field that the bottom of the window, right? Or do I set this somewhere it pattern data?

Last edited by Thalamus; 05-22-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:45 PM   #62
sai'ke

Quote:
-- "Do you have file with which I can reproduce this?"
It is not doing it now. Intermittent then. I will stay vigilant.
Interesting. Please let me know if it happens again. Especially for rare bugs, having a file can be really helpful.

Quote:
-- "Actually, now that I think of this again, how is it different from note off's? Do you want subtick note off?"

Yes, a note off that is shorter than a single note length. Aye, sub tick it is!
Cool

Quote:
Could you explain how the Env field works. I set that to S&H and it seems to flip back to Exp when I traverse the pattern.
I set this in the Env [] field that the bottom of the window, right? Or do I set this somewhere it pattern data?
Whoops. Sorry, that was a bug that was introduced with the recent patch which preserved settings over patterns. Should be fixed now if you update to the latest version (1.56)!
Old 05-22-2018, 02:55 PM   #63
Thalamus

The fix works, thanks.

Can't seem to DEL notes with the Renoise theme. Other themes work okay (Del key)..

When I switch the envelope, or press octave up or down Reaper is putting an Automation Item on the timeline. Gonna dig a bit and
see if this is some preference or mode I've engaged in reaper somewhere...

Last edited by Thalamus; 05-22-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:20 PM   #64
sai'ke

Were you playing around with copying notes with sub-tick delays perhaps? There was a bug that I just fixed there.

I added the sub-tick note-off column in v1.58. Hit CTRL + + twice on a column to reveal it. The value indicates the length of the last tick that the note is active with FF being the full length of the last tick.

This might be a little different than what you are used to in a normal tracker; but since the value is associated with a midi note, I have to force it to be location where the note starts. You might have also noticed that velocities can only be entered where notes are. I hope that's still workable for you.

The wrong delete keycode on the renoise keyset I just fixed (v1.59 ).

As for the automation items, make sure the track is glued at all time and don't resize media items while HT is open, or it will make a ton of automation items. Whenever the take length doesn't equal the length of the automation items, Hackey Trackey will attempt to make a new one.

In an older version, Hackey Trackey didn't work with automation items, but then it was annoying that if you dragged a midi item, your automation would not be dragged with it. I could add an option for it to not make automation items if that would help you.

Last edited by sai'ke; 05-22-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:32 PM   #65
Nixon

Huge thanks for the Renoise support and theme.

Some things that might come in handy too

- ctrl+-/= decrease/increase Adv
- Adv gets also directly changed using ctrl+1 (1 line), ctrl+2 (2 lines) etc.
- ctrl+shift+up/down jumps regarding adv setting
- While holding shift you can enter multiple notes (jumps right to next note column after pressing desired note)
- Renoise uses "A" besides "caspslock" for note off.
- When deleting a Note Renoise also skips to the next adv step. (Doesn't delete volume, fx etc. when in note column and vice versa)
- alt+delete is the same but deletes everything in a row (e.g one channel)
- There's also "Return" for playing only the selected line and the selection advances one line (so you can pre-hear determined by the speed you hit return or hold it down).
- Tab switches to the next Note entry position (skipping vol,fx etc.) on the same line (right) and shift+tab goes left. # ah I see you've got that already)
- Space always starts from the beginning of the pattern. Even when shift+space was used.
- Shift+space stops where you stop it using space. Shift+Space after Shift+Space just proceeds.
- ctrl+up/down goes to previuos/next pattern (midi item) # that's in too

- ctrl+f1/f2 pitches whole pattern one half step down/up
- ctrl+shift+f1/f2 pitches column one half step down/up
- alt+f1/f2 pitches block one half step down/up

- ctrl+f3 clears and copies whole pattern (cuts)
- ctrl+shift+f3 clears and copies column
- alt+f3 clears and copies selected block # also ctrl+x

- ctrl+f4 copies whole pattern
- ctrl+shift+f4 copies column
- alt+f4 copies selected block # also ctrl+c

- ctrl+f5 pastes whole pattern
- ctrl+shift+f5 pastes column
- alt+f5 pastes block # also ctrl+v

- ctrl+f11/f12 pitches whole pattern one octave down/up
- ctrl+shift+f11/f12 pitches column one octave down/up
- alt+f11/f12 pitches block one octave down/up

- ctrl+del clears block # that's in
- ctrl+p pastes (repeats) copied block until pattern is full

###
I got an error (script crashes) when going down one octave after C-0

!!!
Again big thank you for this wonderful tool

Last edited by Nixon; 05-22-2018 at 08:17 PM.
Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:01 PM   #66
_TIP_

Thanks for the quick fix Sai'ke, the new skin looks amazing and is so crispy, i like the fonts so much better now!!! Also, the SHIFT + SPACE works as it should :-)
One thing i would like to see is, when you close and then reopen the script, to remember it's position and size on the screen. Also, as Nixon mentioned above, when you delete a note, it shouldn't delete the volume too...
Old 05-23-2018, 02:32 AM   #67
sai'ke

Most of those sound doable. I will post here as I add them

The thing with deleting notes and preserving volume and effects is quite tricky though. This is something I initially wanted as well, but it doesn't make a lot of sense from a MIDI point of view. In MIDI, I can't change the volume or any property of a note once it is going. So you can enter volumes or properties there, but it won't do anything.

Storing this information could be done by adding MIDI text objects (this is currently done for note OFFs without a matching note start). The problem is that if I really start doing this on a large scale, it might slow down the tracker significantly, since all these text objects need to be parsed in lua.

Is it really something you rely on strongly for your workflow? If so, I will attempt to add it as a toggle-able option when I have some time to do a more major update again.

Sadly, I cannot retrieve the location of the window, and therefore also not store it. This was also something I would have wanted if it were possible. Maybe a future version of REAPER will add it to the API.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:46 AM   #68
_TIP_

Quote:
Most of those sound doable. I will post here as I add them

The thing with deleting notes and preserving volume and effects is quite tricky though. This is something I initially wanted as well, but it doesn't make a lot of sense from a MIDI point of view. In MIDI, I can't change the volume or any property of a note once it is going. So you can enter volumes or properties there, but it won't do anything.

Storing this information could be done by adding MIDI text objects (this is currently done for note OFFs without a matching note start). The problem is that if I really start doing this on a large scale, it might slow down the tracker significantly, since all these text objects need to be parsed in lua.

Is it really something you rely on strongly for your workflow? If so, I will attempt to add it as a toggle-able option when I have some time to do a more major update again.

Sadly, I cannot retrieve the location of the window, and therefore also not store it. This was also something I would have wanted if it were possible. Maybe a future version of REAPER will add it to the API.
You did already an amazing job Sai'ke and i can't thank you enough!!! The script is very functional and stable in the current state, so no rush for further improvements in my opinion, new features are always welcome though if you have the time :-)
Old 05-23-2018, 02:53 PM   #69
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
Huge thanks for the Renoise support and theme.
Some things that might come in handy too
Quote:
- ctrl+-/= decrease/increase Adv
Sadly, ctrl + = and ALT + = don't seem to trigger a keystroke in REAPER.

Quote:
- Adv gets also directly changed using ctrl+1 (1 line), ctrl+2 (2 lines) etc.
Sadly these keystrokes are also not detectable in reaper.

Quote:
- ctrl+shift+up/down jumps regarding adv setting
This is taken by the envelope interpolation setting currently. What do you think would be a good place to move the envelope interpolation to?

Quote:
- While holding shift you can enter multiple notes (jumps right to next note column after pressing desired note)
Implemented this. This sounds like a great feature for all keysets, so I'm adding it to all.

Quote:
- Renoise uses "A" besides "caspslock" for note off.
Added.

Quote:
- When deleting a Note Renoise also skips to the next adv step. (Doesn't delete volume, fx etc. when in note column and vice versa)
- alt+delete is the same but deletes everything in a row (e.g one channel)
I may consider this for a longer term thing, when I have some time to do such drastic overhauls (maybe on a development branch). But for now, I'm shelving this to not risk creating a ton of bugs.

Quote:
- There's also "Return" for playing only the selected line and the selection advances one line (so you can pre-hear determined by the speed you hit return or hold it down).
I have to think about this one a bit more.

Quote:
- Space always starts from the beginning of the pattern. Even when shift+space was used.
Okay done. The only difference(?) will be that it will first stop playback of whatever is going on. If you want the old behavior, just hit space very quickly twice.

Quote:
- Shift+space stops where you stop it using space. Shift+Space after Shift+Space just proceeds.
This is difficult to implement fully as the play position can leave the pattern and there is no guarantee it will even be in a MIDI pattern. I could make the cursor jump to where you are, if it is situated in the active pattern.

Quote:
- ctrl+f1/f2 pitches whole pattern one half step down/up
- ctrl+shift+f1/f2 pitches column one half step down/up
- alt+f1/f2 pitches block one half step down/up
Shift block had to be changed to CTRL + ALT + F1/F2 due to ALT + F1 and F2 acting weird (moving way too fast).

Quote:
TO-DO

Quote:
TO-DO

Quote:
TO-DO

Quote:
TO-DO

Quote:
- ctrl+p pastes (repeats) copied block until pattern is full
TO-DO

Quote:
I got an error (script crashes) when going down one octave after C-0
Shouldn't be able to enter invalid notes anymore, and if you do, they will be quietly dropped by the tracker from now on

Quote:
One thing i would like to see is, when you close and then reopen the script, to remember it's position and size on the screen.
Added!

Quote:
Again big thank you for this wonderful tool
Yvw. Thanks for the feedback and ideas too!
Old 05-23-2018, 11:12 PM   #70
Thalamus

Superb updates!

I wonder, could you add the option to make the Delete key also move to the next line?

Thats a really key part of the speed while editing in Renoise I find.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:20 AM   #71
sai'ke

Quote:
I wonder, could you add the option to make the Delete key also move to the next line?
Ah yes, sorry, I must have read over that one by accident.

Deleting leads to the next advance position, right?

How about shift delete? Does that lead to the next column?
Old 05-24-2018, 03:16 AM   #72
Thalamus

Yes, thats right. In Renoise Delete removes the note and puts the cursor on the next line of the same column.

Theres various shift/ctrl plus delete combinations.
For example : Delete Current Row In Column is LShift + LControl + Back

I have quite heavily customized my Renoise keyboard shortcuts, so I have shift+del deleting the whole column, for example

Here are the default Renoise shortcuts for reference:
http://reg.s63.xrea.com/Renoise-help...helpPart6c.htm

Ultimately, it would be great to add user-definable keys to your baby here.

This is such an utterly brilliant tool. I know it's a bit niche and all that, but there must be so many folks out there who started with this as a way of making music with computers. I encourage you to keep developing it and see where it goes, I will be right here to test and offer suggestions for it.
Renoise seems like the ultimate expression of the tracker, but I think this one has the potential to go way beyond that because it's there inside the most progressive DAW framework on the planet.
The more that this tool pulls in the power of Reaper, the better. It's probably more useful to me for quickly writing than the indigenous MIDI editor (piano roll). So fast.
This is cool as f++k.

Last edited by Thalamus; 05-24-2018 at 05:19 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:32 PM   #73
_TIP_

So, after the last update the "play from current position" function is not working as it should. SHIFT + SPACE is only working when i pause the pattern with that command but when the playback is stopped and try to play the pattern from current position, the pattern starts from the beginning...

Also, here is an attachment with a Renoise *.png file for someone that would like to add a shortcut of the script in (his-her) toolbar.
Attached Images
File Type: png Renoise (90x30).png (11.2 KB, 863 views)
Old 05-24-2018, 02:52 PM   #74
sai'ke

Quote:
Added in v1.61.

Quote:
Added in v1.61.

Quote:
Added in v1.61.

Quote:
Added in v1.61.

Quote:
Superb updates!
Thanks
Delete advances now (v1.61).

Quote:
Ultimately, it would be great to add user-definable keys to your baby here
Yeah. I also think that would be something that's nice to have, but this might be a little while before I get round to it. If you want some user defined keys earlier, you can set printKeys to 1 in the script (search for printKeys). That will print the keycodes of the keys you are pressing. Note that control makes keycodes different. Then if you look for keyset == "renoise" then you will find what the keytables look like and all currently available commands. The table is formatted like CTRL (yes=1/no=0), ALT, SHIFT and then the keycode you can find with printKeys. Adding one is relatively easy

Quote:
This is such an utterly brilliant tool. I know it's a bit niche and all that, but there must be so many folks out there who started with this as a way of making music with computers. I encourage you to keep developing it and see where it goes, I will be right here to test and offer suggestions for it.
Renoise seems like the ultimate expression of the tracker, but I think this one has the potential to go way beyond that because it's there inside the most progressive DAW framework on the planet.
The more that this tool pulls in the power of Reaper, the better. It's probably more useful to me for quickly writing than the indigenous MIDI editor (piano roll). So fast.
I'm glad you like it and happy to have you on board.

Quote:
So, after the last update the "play from current position" function is not working as it should. SHIFT + SPACE is only working when i pause the pattern with that command but when the playback is stopped and try to play the pattern from current position, the pattern starts from the beginning...
I think I fixed it now (v1.61).

Quote:
Also, here is an attachment with a Renoise *.png file for someone that would like to add a shortcut of the script in (his-her) toolbar.
Cool

Last edited by sai'ke; 05-24-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:14 PM   #75
_TIP_

Unfortunately:
1. "play from current position" is still broken and
2. The script can't show more than 16 steps at a time, instead is showing a side bar that you can scroll if you want to see more than those 16 steps (lines).
Also, a few nice shortcuts I used to use in Renoise was holding Shift + END, would highlight the area from the position you are, all the way down to the last line. Shift + Home, would highlight the area from the position you are, all the way up to the first line. Shift + Page Down, would highlight the area from the position you are, 16 steps down and Shift + Page Up would highlight the area from the position you are, 16 steps Up.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:49 AM   #76
sai'ke

Could you tell me what's broken about it?
Old 05-25-2018, 03:25 AM   #77
_TIP_

Quote:
Could you tell me what's broken about it?
First of all I'm sorry, I shouldn't call it "broken".
So, when you press "Shift + space" from the current position you are working on and while the playback is stopped, the pattern starts from the beginning instead of starting from the current position, shift+ space only works when playback is active but you first have to pause the pattern with the same command. Also, no more than 16 lines showing in the latest update, you have to scroll down to be able to see the rest...
Old 05-25-2018, 04:10 AM   #78
sai'ke

Quote:
First of all I'm sorry, I shouldn't call it "broken".
So, when you press "Shift + space" from the current position you are working on and while the playback is stopped, the pattern starts from the beginning instead of starting from the current position, shift+ space only works when playback is active but you first have to pause the pattern with the same command. Also, no more than 16 lines showing in the latest update, you have to scroll down to be able to see the rest...
The max line number thing should be very easy to fix and I will do this when I get home tonight

The word broken is fine. But I'm confused about the shift space thing, because it did work for me.

The behavior that I intended was: Shift+Space starts playback from whatever cursor position in the tracker you're located at. Shift + Space stops playback and puts your current cursor position at this place. Is this not how you intended it? Can you tell me which of these steps is not functioning correctly? The placing the cursor at the place where you stop it, or the resuming from the cursor position.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:32 AM   #79
_TIP_

Quote:
The behavior that I intended was: Shift+Space starts playback from whatever cursor position in the tracker you're located at.
Here shift + space it starts from the beginning of the pattern and not from the cursor position... It was working fine before, it broke after the update with the "remember script's window position" after reopening the script.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:47 AM   #80
sai'ke

Quote:
Here shift + space it starts from the beginning of the pattern and not from the cursor position... It was working fine before, it broke after the update with the "remember script's window position" after reopening the script.
Thanks for letting me know. I will look into it