Old 03-18-2016, 08:59 AM   #81
heda
Human being with feelings

I agree. I think I will change it to middle mouse button as it is on Loudness Graph, and also CTRL + left click.

these things are already done for pre2
v1.0pre2 (2016-03-??)
+ options for speed mouse on knobs, sends
+ option for absolute sends drag mode
# if no selected track, maintain last displayed track instead of nothing
# delete marker notes on exit
# delete hidden analysis tracks on exit
# disable prefx if it is a frozen track
# automatically sets general preference undo on track selection
# general dynamics moved to correct folder "dynamics" inside the zip
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:18 AM   #82
musicbynumbers

cool! some good extras there thanks!

Also, as a side note. Been testing the latest version of loudness graph briefly too and it's so insanely good and well thought out. Thanks again for this too!
Old 03-18-2016, 10:55 AM   #83
musicbynumbers

Some thing I'm leaning towards is preferring the meters to be post fader (and pan) as then the fader changes are reflected and it also gives us all 3 positions for metering.

I don't know if I've missed you mentioning that is possible but if there was a quick way change this as a button then that would be great
Old 03-18-2016, 10:58 AM   #84
Sexan

One question,is it possible for meter numbers to update little more frequently when volume is lowered?If the volume of vst is set higher (or something else that alters volume) meters always show the correct values,but if the volume is lowered then meter is not updated but you have to click on it to refresh it to get the right value.
I can't upload to stash so here is the gif from dropbox
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13380653/meter.gif
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:01 AM   #85
syntetic

lt would be good to have possibility to open automation & copy/paste values via right click on volume, width, pan too
syntetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:06 AM   #86
musicbynumbers

I don't know if it was requested and that's why we have it in there like it is but I kind of feel that RMS is semi redundant alongside the EBU meter and also a bit less clear to have both showing. Or is that just me?

In the long term, would it maybe better to have a toggle label to have either RMS shown or EBU or both?

I love the RMS pan at the top and I can see that the plugin you use for the RMS reading has a lot of detail that you might be planning to extract from at some point so it's not a big deal for me. Just feels weird having both at the same time when you're quickly glancing at the screen.

If they had labels at some point, that might help.

Just an idea though, what do others think?
Old 03-18-2016, 11:09 AM   #87
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
One question,is it possible for meter numbers to update little more frequently when volume is lowered?If the volume of vst is set higher (or something else that alters volume) meters always show the correct values,but if the volume is lowered then meter is not updated but you have to click on it to refresh it to get the right value.
I can't upload to stash so here is the gif from dropbox
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13380653/meter.gif
That might be because of the way that EBU R-128 has a gate built into it so that quiet passages are semi ignored.

Just a guess though, it could just be the "hold time" on the meters which might be changeable at some point
Old 03-18-2016, 11:20 AM   #88
gwok

hi Heda,

I am not getting any changes on the meter on the left and it is essentially frozen and nonreative. As well you can see the icon for the fader is missing. It seems it's "mostly" working, though some things don't seem to be fully functioning. I followed all the instructions I believe, though maybe I'm missing something?

thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-03-18 at 11.10.54 AM.jpg (23.1 KB, 594 views)
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:20 AM   #89
heda

No, the gate is other factor taken into consideration to calculate the IL. It doesn't affect the TPMAX. TPMAX is True peak maximum value achieved in the entire analysis time. That's how dpMeter works and how it is needed. So as long that True Peak is below -1.0 you are good. There is no instant peaks metering.

@musicbynumbers, what do you mean by meters being post fader? They are post fader. check the send to the hidden analysis tracks. it should be post-fader

I can make an option to display only RMS, only EBUR128 or both.
RMS option displayes left and right channel RMS independently, while EBUR128 is just overall loudness for all the stereo signal. It can also be calculated for surround, if you modify the loudness preset with surround mode. The RMS meter is only for stereo.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:29 AM   #90
heda

@gwok the frozen issue must be the setting in post #54
the icons issue must be because you are on mac. since I have windows, I cannot test on mac Can someone send me an old unused mac?
But I think I know what the issue can be and try to fix it for next pre. thanks
Old 03-18-2016, 11:34 AM   #91
gwok

Thanks Heda,

I have track selection included in the Undo as per post 54. The track inspector does change when I select a new track. Uploading a video now, having some internet problems, will take moment
Old 03-18-2016, 11:47 AM   #92
heda

@gwok:
could you modify the lua file temporarily adding the red line like this and tell me what is the script_path shown in the console when running it again? Also, tell me on your Mac, where is the path where you extracted the zip file. Thank you

Code:
local OS = reaper.GetOS()
local mode="x64"
if OS == "Win32" or OS == "OSX32" then mode="x32" end
local info = debug.getinfo(1,'S');
script_path = info.source:match[[^@?(.*[\/])[^\/]-$]]
reaper.ShowConsoleMsg(script_path)
Old 03-18-2016, 11:54 AM   #93
gwok

Thanks Heda,

I get this in the console after adding the extra line

/Volumes/Audio HD C/PerForm/Scripts/HeDa_Track Inspector/Scripts/HeDa_Track Inspector/

I have your folder inside the Script folder within my Reaper Resource Folder
(main reaper folder)

I also tried putting it in the top level of my reaper folder, and because I don't run my reaper from the default location, I have a test version of reaper that is all factory settings and file paths. I tried it in there too (within script) with the same behaviour.

btw, i notice the 2 send it's creates to the master are both on track channels 1-2. That seemed odd to me, so I tested and set the 2nd send to channels 3-4, but there was no change.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:02 PM   #94
heda

@gwok oh... I've discovered the bug. Thank you! Sorry for releasing pre1 with many bugs. fixed for pre2.

I don't understand what you mean by being odd sending channels 1+2
Old 03-18-2016, 12:05 PM   #95
gwok

my bad!! I didnt realize you were sneakily adding 2 extra tracks for those sends you are creating, but I found them, and I think you can ignore those comments

Great!! No worries man, happy to help!!
Old 03-18-2016, 12:13 PM   #96
gwok

Btw, I thought I'd mention, I'm having a lot of trouble docking the inspector. I can't right click anywhere to tell the window to dock, and the actions to dock the focused window don't work.

edit: as well when docked and saved in a screenset, it is not recalling it's proper location when the screenset is recalled
Old 03-18-2016, 12:18 PM   #97
heda

there is a button to dock/undock. lower right corner. right to the lock button.
try dock and run the script again to terminate it.. this would have to save the position of the dock for next starts.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:22 PM   #98
G-Sun

Rally cool
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:25 PM   #99
gwok

hmmm, maybe it's getting cutoff and not being displayed? I notice some of the graphics are slightly offset.

edit: yes clicking to the right of the lock button docks it, though the button itself is not visible

edit 2: I tried the terminate instance. Doesn't seem to really help. If I have the inspector saved in different docked locations within screensets, it's is very erratic where it will show up when the screenset is recalled. I haven't found a way based on your suggestion to make the location recall properly within a screenset.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-03-18 at 12.25.05 PM.png (11.2 KB, 565 views)

Last edited by gwok; 03-18-2016 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:35 PM   #100
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwok View Post
hmmm, maybe it's getting cutoff and not being displayed? I notice some of the graphics are slightly offset.

edit: yes clicking to the right of the lock button docks it, though the button itself is not visible
thank you. fixing the font size for mac, I forgot it. I think there is a bug in REAPER where the font sizes are not the same size in pixels as in PC.

ah of course you couldn't see the dock button, that's another icon. I am sending the pre2 in some minutes with all these fixes.

Thank you for your patience to all helping me to deal with bugs in these early pre-releases. you are brave
Old 03-18-2016, 12:36 PM   #101
gwok

Np Heda, thanks you!

btw, I added some info to the docing issues in the post above

"edit 2: I tried the terminate instance. Doesn't seem to really help. If I have the inspector saved in different docked locations within screensets, it's is very erratic where it will show up when the screenset is recalled. I haven't found a way based on your suggestion to make the location recall properly within a screenset. "
Old 03-18-2016, 01:07 PM   #102
gwok

Couple more nitpicks.

1. volume and pan changes to a track made from the inspector do not get registered in the undo list.

2. every time I choose a new track, the Undo list registers "Reset Track Inspector Loudness meter". I don't know if there is a way to bypass that being added to the undo list, or if it is preferred, though to me it seems somewhat unnecessary and makes the undo list grow needlessly fast.

Last edited by gwok; 03-18-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:23 PM   #103
heda

update:
Download v1.0 pre2
Old 03-18-2016, 01:26 PM   #104
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwok View Post
Couple more nitpicks.

1. volume and pan changes to a track made from the inspector do not get registered in the undo list.

2. every time I choose a new track, the Undo list registers "Reset Track Inspector Loudness meter". I don't know if there is a way to bypass that being added to the undo list, or if it is preferred, though to me it seems somewhat unnecessary and makes the undo list grow needlessly fast.
1. I'll add undo point for that.
2. Unfortunately, changing track, means I need to reset the dpMeter, and that creates a undo point. It shouldn't be needed since it just reloads the preset. I don't know how to delete history entries from ReaScript. If it is not possible, then there should be another request for Cockos.

edit: I've tested with screensets and I don't have any issues with it. updating screensets, docking and undocking and moved to another docks and resaving screensets and everything works as expected. I have no idea what could be wrong there. Maybe another mac issue? Other users could test this in mac and pc too?
Old 03-18-2016, 01:34 PM   #105
gwok

Thanks Heda,

the volume meter Icon is there now, as is the docking icon.

The volume meter is still not working and is the same for me as it was in the previous version. still testing....
Old 03-18-2016, 01:40 PM   #106
Lawrence

That thing looks really great Heda. Props.

I don't code scripts but seeing that panel my first thought was (which might conflict with the semi-commercial nature of your very cool thing) if I did I would find the "shell", the basic panel code bits, handy, to maybe expand on that idea doing some other different things like that in inspector type docked panels.

I wonder if you can flip that same concept into a Cubendo like "info bar", a docked horizontal panel.

Nice work.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:47 PM   #107
gwok

I am getting huge RT CPU usage when the inspector is open and a track with a synth on it is selected and is idle. When I play a note the RT CPU goes down to about 18% then when I let go, within about 10 seconds it creeps up to 40%. If i close the inspector, it does back down to 18%

so it seems when idle the RT CPU usage goes up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-03-18 at 1.49.59 PM.jpg (29.8 KB, 521 views)
Old 03-18-2016, 01:57 PM   #108
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
@musicbynumbers, what do you mean by meters being post fader? They are post fader. check the send to the hidden analysis tracks. it should be post-fader
Maybe it's because of my default but mine comes up as "pre-fader (Post-FX)" but an option to have the post side either this option or "Post-Fader (Post-pan)" would be amazing too so we can choose whether the fader effects the level.

It could be my default set up in prefs for new sends is breaking this?

Quote:
I can make an option to display only RMS, only EBUR128 or both.
RMS option displayes left and right channel RMS independently, while EBUR128 is just overall loudness for all the stereo signal. It can also be calculated for surround, if you modify the loudness preset with surround mode. The RMS meter is only for stereo.
I can see why you have it then because the stereo stuff is very handy!

An option to choose would be a good option if it's not too hard to do? The other option is maybe just a label for each meter (maybe sideways and greyed out behind the meter) and also to maybe have one of the meters either darker or lighter than the other. something like that

EDIT: I'm not sure about the hiding option really. You have the compressor meters there as well. I think just saying what they are and also a slight shade difference would be fine
Old 03-18-2016, 02:05 PM   #109
heda

@G-Sun thanks!
@Lawrence, Thank you. The way it is designed is to be docked to the left vertically, not horizontal.
@gwok. high RT CPU usage is caused by dpMeter inserted in the master track. I see it is not deactivating it anymore when they are not needed(when not having the master track displayed) I'll fix that.
@musicbynumbers. yes, I'll make sure it is postfader even if you have different default settings for sends.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:07 PM   #110
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
EDIT: I'm not sure about the hiding option really. You have the compressor meters there as well. I think just saying what they are and also a slight shade difference would be fine
Maybe RMS meters could always be grey or gradient like in REAPER, and Loudness Meter as it is coloured with track colour.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:02 PM   #111
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntetic View Post
lt would be good to have possibility to open automation & copy/paste values via right click on volume, width, pan too
I have plans for a panel for automation.
Copy and paste fader values. nice idea.
I need to add support for other panning modes.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:59 PM   #112
musicbynumbers

Quote:
@G-Sun
@musicbynumbers. yes, I'll make sure it is postfader even if you have different default settings for sends.
Cool. I think you would probably need to put a toggle switch between the 2 somewhere obvious because they both have uses.

For instance, post fader is great for seeing your actual output level but is totally useless for comparing pre and post effects (well, except for the matching the level via clicking the fader option but for seeing the real difference it needs to be post FX but pre fader).

If possible, a fast way to switch between both would be super useful

IDEA ooh.. I wonder if your marker system could have the option to put markers in when the track goes over into clipping (and if the marker can say by how much?)

Just a thought!
Old 03-18-2016, 04:00 PM   #113
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Maybe RMS meters could always be grey or gradient like in REAPER, and Loudness Meter as it is coloured with track colour.
That could work. If that's easier all good but de-saturating the RMS colour enough to be the same over colour but much less colourful would be probably prettier and still obviously different contrast wise.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:16 AM   #114
heda

New update
Download v1.0 pre3
Old 03-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #115
musicbynumbers

Quote:
great! will check it out!
Old 03-19-2016, 11:58 AM   #116
musicbynumbers

Great changes so far!

One small thing is the default RMS is 400. I can't remember off the top of my head but "600" keeps coming to mind as being related to the human ear (or maybe it was for "k-metering") but is there a reason for 400 at the moment?

The other thing was with the RMS panning indicator (which is super cool by the way!) does this have a high pass filter before it to get rid of any DC offset or even just low frequencies getting in the way or it being reflective of how we actually hear low freq sounds regarding localising them in space at above 300 HZ (or thereabouts)?

Perhaps there can be an option for a version that you can have a high pass on it (with a gain post maybe to normalise again after).

I might be thinking too deeply though as it does seem to work on most content so far! Maybe ignore me! lol
Old 03-19-2016, 12:13 PM   #117
heda

The default RMSWindow can be changed in global options file for now. in later versions I'll add preferences settings etc...
I chose 400 because it is similar to EBUR128 Momentary Loudness which uses 400ms.

The RMS panning indicator is not very fancy.. just the difference between the RMS right and RMS left. It is still a bit experimental

This pre3 is what pre1 should have been in the first place. But it is good I decided not to wait a bit more for pre1, because you all brave beta testers gave me very good feedback. Thank you! Now I have more peace of mind to work on the rest, knowing pre3 more or less is a working version.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:42 PM   #118
Sexan

pre 3 , pan can't be centered with mouse movement,only with double click,it goes 1% R or L
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:22 PM   #119
musicbynumbers

All good heda!

One thing though.. If I want to monitor the master track. Do I have to use the "master" script version no matter what or should I be able to select the master and have the track version now change to show the master instead?

I tried it here but it didn't create sends on the master or get rid of them on the previously selected track.

No worries it that's how it is. Fine by me to have a separate script!
Old 03-19-2016, 01:39 PM   #120
heda

@sexan.. I see... well. if it works double clicking it... at least.

@musicbynumbers. it should work selecting the master track with the normal one too. the only difference to the master suffixed lua file is that it always starts selecting the master track even if you have other track selected. and it is locked by default so it will always display master.
it is not possible to send to the analysis tracks from the master track. so I have to insert the dpmeter and rms jsfx as fx inserts in the master fx chain.