Old 01-21-2017, 02:29 AM   #81
tovokas
Human being with feelings

Default Thank you!

I worked extensively in Reaper 3 back in the day, but for the last couple years have been working in other DAWs. I recently purchased a midi controller that is well integrated with Reaper however, and decided it was a good time to catch up on what has changed between then and Reaper 5...

I'm so happy I found your videos! They are professional, comprehensive, and most importantly, filled with amazingly valuable information explained in the most straight forward manner. Thank you for providing such a wonderful resource: your videos should be every new (or returning) user's first stop in getting a good handle on this incredibly powerful daw.
tovokas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:25 AM   #82
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovokas View Post
I worked extensively in Reaper 3 back in the day, but for the last couple years have been working in other DAWs. I recently purchased a midi controller that is well integrated with Reaper however, and decided it was a good time to catch up on what has changed between then and Reaper 5...

I'm so happy I found your videos! They are professional, comprehensive, and most importantly, filled with amazingly valuable information explained in the most straight forward manner. Thank you for providing such a wonderful resource: your videos should be every new (or returning) user's first stop in getting a good handle on this incredibly powerful daw.
Thank you
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:54 AM   #83
Kenny Gioia

Just wanted to let everyone know that I will be sending out a brief email as I release each new video.

Please sign up to get a notification:

Thanks

Kenny
Old 02-07-2017, 11:40 PM   #84
Woods1

Default Has Kenny done a "Songwriting in Reaper" tutorial ?

I have seen many of Kenny's videos - all the Reaper Explained 4 and 5, Signal Flow, Mixing in Reaper and watched all the Youtube links on Reaper Mania website. I have also seen Kenny's vids that he did on the Pro Tools platform. And there are a couple there like "Music Production With Pro Tools Vol 1" that I found interesting from the production / tracking P.O.V. There are a coupe of pretty good Logic songwriting Tutorials out there as well that others have done.

I have not seen Kenny's new 8 hour mixing tutorial. But a Reaper Tutorial from a song writing P.O.V. would be interesting. Maybe kind of like the "Song Craft" guys do but with a little less of their preamble/pre-production stuff and more a Reaper song-building tracking vid from finding the tempo, getting headphone mix (like the new UAD real-time fx monitoring stuff can do), to the scratch tracks, to building up the song, adding virtual instruments, Kontact, Overdubs, etc.

Reaper doesn't seem to have allot of the "song-writing" tools built in like Logic and Studio One has - but perhaps a Song-building / Tracking Tutorial could incorporate EZ Mix, EZ Keys, and EZ Drummer as parallels to the studio One and Logic tools? As well as a Reaper Synth and Reaper Electronic Drum Machine incorporated in a couple of the episodes. Logic and Pro Tools have some interesting tutorials that have highlighted their incorporated synth and EDM drum tools.

Wouldn't you agree that allot of kids could really dig that kind of Reaper Tutorial?

How about it Kenny? You got another one in ya?

Thanks for all the great stuff Kenny,

Woods

PS: "How ya doin ... I'm Kenny Gioia, welcome to another one of my tutorials." (tempo 300)
Woods1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:16 AM   #85
Coachz

Ha ha. I love his tempo. I speed up most youtube videos to 1.5 and often wish for 1.75 but they jump to 2x which is usually too fast. I find Kenny's tempo rockin!
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:41 AM   #86
Woods1

Me too - just making a little fun.

regarding a potential Reaper Song Building tutorial.

Perhaps including such rudimentary elements of "Reaper Related" Song Building as: figuring out how much click track pre-roll you want, as well as planning for the possibility that you want to ad more "intro" media elements after the fact during arranging, etc.
Ciao,
Woods
Old 02-19-2017, 07:09 PM   #87
romick

Default voiceover & audiobook production

Kenny,
Just found this thread and wanted to offer up my 2c.

IMHO, your videos are invaluable!

I am a professional voiceover artist. You are a professional sound engineer and music producer. I cannot fathom how egocentric and narcissistic someone would have to be to knock your delivery and teaching style. You are clean, clear and concise. Your Reaper knowledge is obviously vast and second to none. And you deliver the information without sounding condescending or in any way superior.

I don't do multi-track music production. I am a mere voice actor and audiobook narrator/producer. Sometimes I am required to add a music bed to my voiceover work, and your side-chain compression (ducking) video was just what I needed for that aspect of my work. In fact, I saved a template just for that purpose.

Hopefully this will work. I am including a screenshot of my Reaper tweaks. The theme is based on the Commala_Light theme with a CyanogenMod color scheme. I’ve got it as streamlined as I can get it for my VO recording work.
I would request that, if you are so inclined, to do a video on some specifics on recording and processing voiceover in general, and audiobooks in particular.

Audible Studios in Newark, New Jersey is now using Reaper (along with SoundForge) to record and master audiobooks. Their mastering requirements are rather specific. I am still trying to hone my FX chain. I’ve done 30+ audiobooks for them so far and have not had one rejected by Audible’s QC. But there is always room for refinement.

Thanks again for some excellent work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ReaperScreenshot2.jpg (44.8 KB, 689 views)

Last edited by romick; 02-19-2017 at 07:19 PM. Reason: add jpg
romick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:12 PM   #88
Kenny Gioia

Thank you.

Probably in the next week I will be doing a video on how I treat my voiceover in my tutorials. Hopefully that will cover everything you need.

Thanks again.

Kenny
Old 02-20-2017, 07:35 AM   #89
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by romick View Post
Audible Studios in Newark, New Jersey is now using Reaper
That's fantastic. Nice to see a giant in the industry using Reaper!
http://www.audible.com
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:08 AM   #90
Woods1

Default Hey Kenny, would you consider doing one like this?

Complete newbie here. Looking for a tutorial that will help all newbies in the pre production up to the end of having the initial bed tracks laid down and initial markers in place. With a focus on such things as -- focusing on click track (standard tick tock sounds or minimal drum/shaker/conga/brushes kind of thing), thinking about the finer points of click inluding whether 16th notes or 8th notes, deciding on tempo, and time signature, brain storming about pre roll, brain storming how much intro space to leave in the pre roll in case you want to ad a longer intro (and also thinking about standard intro techniques -how long etc.), Laying down a scratch track / guide track, then over dubbing the initial keeper bed-tracks over the guides .... then initial markers. And including a bit more in depth thought about bars and measures in relation to the markers process.

If you have done anything that concentrated more on this phase of the process or if you could recommend another tutorial similar to this wold you let me know? If a tutorial were to be done that concentrated on this particular phase of the recording process what might it me called?

Or alternatively, would you consider doing one like this?

Thanks,

Woods

Last edited by Woods1; 02-20-2017 at 03:19 PM. Reason: after thought
Old 02-20-2017, 04:22 PM   #91
Woods1

Default Q for Kenny - on intro to som tuts you use vinyl clip - Strat-Fender-Amp and Tremelo

Question for Kenny - vinyl clip / Strat-Fender-Amp and Tremelo you used as intro?

What is it? Authentic vinyl clip?
Or perhaps something created to sound like it came from a record by adding some "vinyl" pops and clicks?

Cioa,
Woods

Last edited by Woods1; 02-20-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:25 PM   #92
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods1 View Post
Question for Kenny - vinyl clip / Strat-Fender-Amp and Tremelo you used as intro?

What is it? Authentic vinyl clip?
Or perhaps something created to sound like it came from a record by adding some "vinyl" pops and clicks?

Cioa,
Woods
Yeah. Nothing special. I just added some pop and clicks from a retro preset from the Video Editing software I'm using.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:39 PM   #93
Paul99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Yeah. Nothing special. I just added some pop and clicks from a retro preset from the Video Editing software I'm using.
Aha, may I ask which Video Editing software you are using?
Paul99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:58 PM   #94
Kenny Gioia

Screenflow for Mac

But now that I think about it, I may have used this:

Plugin

As I don't think my software does the effect to the audio as well.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:37 PM   #95
Woods1

Default Hmmmm .... interesto ...

Lekhaim (Cheers)

Woods

PS: Thanks for being around.

And the guitar and amp and tremelo - yours?

Last edited by Woods1; 02-20-2017 at 07:38 PM. Reason: After thought
Old 02-21-2017, 06:08 AM   #96
Paul99

Quote:
Screenflow for Mac
Looks easy and good. Unfortunately only for Mac....
Paul99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:35 PM   #97
romick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Hey romick, cool to have you here! Maybe you can share in a new thread about the typical workflow in your field? So we can learn from you, plus we might have improvement ideas for those workflows. Win, win. It would be great. Having concrete examples and tasks, from real world is of course always much better than some theoretical tricks here.
I will have to give that some serious thought. I have met and picked the brains of some of the engineers at Audible Studios and know a lot of VO artists who use Reaper to record and produce from their home studios. IMHO, Reaper is ideally suited for VO production.

I'm still making tweaks and refinements to my own work flow and mastering process. But, yeah, I'd be willing to share what I've learned and would very much like to learn from all of you out there.

Problem is finding the time. Right now, I'm working on 3 audiobooks simultaneously in different stages of completion, with a few more coming down the pike.
romick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:28 AM   #98
Gawar

Default Send default gain

Kenny,
Having watched several of your informative tutorials, I see that your send default gain
is set to unity. For me, I set the send default gain preference to -20db so I don't have
to quickly pull the level down from 0db every time I open a send, thus averting the "that's
way too loud" effect (reverb, ddl, etc.). Clients hate that, and sometimes don't understand.

Just an observation, could be part of your personal work flow.

Thanks for all your great information.
Gawar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:22 PM   #99
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawar View Post
Kenny,
Having watched several of your informative tutorials, I see that your send default gain
is set to unity. For me, I set the send default gain preference to -20db so I don't have
to quickly pull the level down from 0db every time I open a send, thus averting the "that's
way too loud" effect (reverb, ddl, etc.). Clients hate that, and sometimes don't understand.

Just an observation, could be part of your personal work flow.

Thanks for all your great information.
Believe me, I'm well aware.

If you'll notice, almost nothing about my REAPER set up differs from the Default.

That's by design. If I changed the setting you're talking about, someone watching my video might wonder why their's is different.

All of my videos start at the place as if you just downloaded REAPER.

Thanks
Old 03-08-2017, 02:36 PM   #100
blommberg

Hi, just wanted to say thank you very much!
Old 03-08-2017, 02:50 PM   #101
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by blommberg View Post
Hi, just wanted to say thank you very much!
You're very welcome.

Kenny
Old 03-08-2017, 04:09 PM   #102
Jeffsounds

Quote:
All of my videos start at the place as if you just downloaded REAPER.
That is just INCREDIBLY thoughtful and one of the reasons that your efforts stand out above all the rest.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:53 PM   #103
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
That is just INCREDIBLY thoughtful and one of the reasons that your efforts stand out above all the rest.
And it's also a PITA.

But I've seen other tutorials where there's toolbars everywhere and the person is using Custom Shortcuts and even I get lost following them.

But I do appreciate the appreciation.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:49 AM   #104
studer58

Kenny..a big thanks to you for the easy to follow and insightful videos...always my first stop when I'm stuck in a rut...and your side-tips and shortcuts are very welcome, and give your videos a big edge over the others.

Maybe you can tell me if this has been covered already in one of your videos...I'm mixing a largish project, 26+ tracks with a Zoom R16 as MIDI surface controller. Folder master faders are assigned to the R16's faders, but so also are the individual tracks within the folder, chewing up valuable physical fader numbers needlessly.

Is there a shortcut where I can get the R16 to ignore the individual tracks, and only recognize the main folder fader(s) ? In other words, can I 'hide' the child tracks within the folders from being seen by the R16 ?

Thanks very much...and keep up the good work !
studer58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:02 AM   #105
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Kenny..a big thanks to you for the easy to follow and insightful videos...always my first stop when I'm stuck in a rut...and your side-tips and shortcuts are very welcome, and give your videos a big edge over the others.

Maybe you can tell me if this has been covered already in one of your videos...I'm mixing a largish project, 26+ tracks with a Zoom R16 as MIDI surface controller. Folder master faders are assigned to the R16's faders, but so also are the individual tracks within the folder, chewing up valuable physical fader numbers needlessly.

Is there a shortcut where I can get the R16 to ignore the individual tracks, and only recognize the main folder fader(s) ? In other words, can I 'hide' the child tracks within the folders from being seen by the R16 ?

What happens when you choose the option to put all the Folders on the Left in the Mixer?

Or if you hide Child tracks?
Old 03-12-2017, 10:16 PM   #106
studer58

Quote:
What happens when you choose the option to put all the Folders on the Left in the Mixer?

Or if you hide Child tracks?
Hi Kenny,

If I put all the folders on the Left in the mixer, it doesn't change the R16 behaviour...it still reacts as if they were folder + individual child tracks. This occurs even if the child tracks are hidden.

It seems as if the R16 behaviour is governed only by the TCP, not the mixer (if I could get the R16 to follow the mixer layout instead, with folders to the Left), it would be perfect !

Do you think it could be something locked into the Mackie Control protocol which governs the R16, that forces it to respond to all tracks and folders together, in a strict left to right order (matching the TCP) ?

Is it possible for a Custom Action to be created which would direct the R16 to ignore (skip over) child tracks, and respond only to Folders ?

I've outlined it in a bit more detail here: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...54&postcount=7

If this is covered in any of your videos...just point me towards the relevant one, and thank you again for your help, I'm sure I'm not the first person to be struggling with this issue !

Last edited by studer58; 03-12-2017 at 10:50 PM.
studer58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:58 AM   #107
robgb

Default All Hail Gioia

As a Studio One user, I had long discounted Reaper as a DAW, thinking it couldn't possibly be as powerful at S1 or Logic or Cubase or any of the other high end DAWs I've used over the years.

But out of curiosity, I started watching Kenny Gioia's YouTube videos on Reaper and discovered that not only does Reaper compete with those DAWs, it surpasses them in many ways. The customizability of workflow alone makes it now my DAW of choice.

Thank you, Mr. Gioia, for helping me see the light.
robgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:14 PM   #108
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgb View Post
As a Studio One user, I had long discounted Reaper as a DAW, thinking it couldn't possibly be as powerful at S1 or Logic or Cubase or any of the other high end DAWs I've used over the years.

But out of curiosity, I started watching Kenny Gioia's YouTube videos on Reaper and discovered that not only does Reaper compete with those DAWs, it surpasses them in many ways. The customizability of workflow alone makes it now my DAW of choice.

Thank you, Mr. Gioia, for helping me see the light.
Thank you.

Kenny
Old 04-09-2017, 12:06 AM   #109
mschnell

I, too, want to add my Thank You to the makers of the many tutorial videos and of the user guide, working for free for the incredible benefit of the Reaper users.

I sincerely hope they constantly do get at least some reward from this.

Reaper Rocks !
-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:19 AM   #110
timboid

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post

This is not a direct answer to your question, but for the same reasons as yours (managing large-ish sessions with HW controller) I use VCAs. I put 8 VCA masters at the top of the project and so they are always on the first bank of my controller.
timboid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:03 PM   #111
flipotto

Quote:
Thank you.

Probably in the next week I will be doing a video on how I treat my voiceover in my tutorials. Hopefully that will cover everything you need.

Thanks again.

Kenny
Did you ever get to this?
flipotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:24 PM   #112
PointReyes

Kenny, I just gotta say that your videos are BY FAR the best instructional videos I've ever seen. They treat the viewer as a pro instead of a child, and the way you move so quickly without any nonsense that has nothing to do with what you're showing is what every single person making instructional videos should copy very directly! I can't tell you how many videos I get impatient with because they go off on some tangent that has nothing to do with what they're actually showing you, or talk super slowly with big pauses, "uuummmm"s, etc. For someone like me who does music for a living day in and day out and has very little free time, videos from someone like you are a god-send and free me from sitting around and waiting for people to get to the point while they dawdle and stumble either through the program or with actually speaking. :-) This may sound rude to others, but it's the truth for me.

I'm a Cubase Artist who is secretly a possible new Reaper refugee to see if it will work for me, and your free startup videos for Reaper 5 have been key - I will absolutely be buying your more advanced videos.

Well done.
PointReyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:28 PM   #113
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointReyes View Post
Kenny, I just gotta say that your videos are BY FAR the best instructional videos I've ever seen. They treat the viewer as a pro instead of a child, and the way you move so quickly without any nonsense that has nothing to do with what you're showing is what every single person making instructional videos should copy very directly! I can't tell you how many videos I get impatient with because they go off on some tangent that has nothing to do with what they're actually showing you, or talk super slowly with big pauses, "uuummmm"s, etc. For someone like me who does music for a living day in and day out and has very little free time, videos from someone like you are a god-send and free me from sitting around and waiting for people to get to the point while they dawdle and stumble either through the program or with actually speaking. :-) This may sound rude to others, but it's the truth for me.

I'm a Cubase Artist who is secretly a possible new Reaper refugee to see if it will work for me, and your free startup videos for Reaper 5 have been key - I will absolutely be buying your more advanced videos.

Well done.
Thank you.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:37 PM   #114
vanhaze

Quote:

Well done.
Totally agree on this.
These vids are so incredibly to the point, the vids are never too slow or too fast for me and Kenny's tone of voice is really uplifting,with great pace and never sounds "dull".
Kenny is a true Reaper Tut Artist, the very best.
Paul and Jon share second place for me
Old 04-25-2017, 12:46 PM   #115
Robert Randolph

Quote:

Well done.
I'm going to second this.

I wrote about it a few times on my blog while I was doing my "30 days with Reaper" series, however I think it's worth repeating: These videos are one of the absolute biggest assets available to the community. No other DAW that I'm aware of has such clear video instruction (or instruction in general). Even for software in general it's rare to find instruction that's so clear, well-paced and organized.

I hate watching video tutorials (and I love reading manuals), but I ended up watching every single one of these. It's the #1 reason that I'm using Reaper today.

Great job Kenny!

p.s. I really wish the kennymania.com Reaper video section wasn't ruined though The old version was 100x better.
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:46 PM   #116
vanhaze

Totally well said.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:54 PM   #117
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post

p.s. I really wish the kennymania.com Reaper video section wasn't ruined though The old version was 100x better.
What does everyone else think?

The New Way

vs.

The Old Way
Old 04-25-2017, 02:02 PM   #118
Robert Randolph

Quote:

The New Way

vs.

The Old Way
New way = dozens of clicks, page loads and ignoring dozens (100+?) of worthless thumbnails to find a video. Can't search page for a topic. Can't open more than 1 video. Can't open in new tab without multiple clicks.

Old way = See every video at once. Can search page for topic. Can read the titles line after line without any distractions. Opens in new tab, so you can cmd-click to open a bunch of videos at once. Loads much faster.

That's my reasoning.
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:26 PM   #119
karbomusic

I've always just went directly to the YT channel > Videos FWIW because all the videos are right there and the channel has a search feature. Of course the search feature isn't truly needed since CTRL+F comes with most browsers anyway - Except the paging is handled by the search feature so there is that.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:02 PM   #120
edwood75

Quote:

The New Way

vs.

The Old Way
Hello Kenny,

I really prefer the old way in this case.

Best
edwood75 is offline   Reply With Quote