Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 06-20-2019, 06:36 AM   #41
Talagan
Human being with feelings

Ok, I'm finally uploading V3.1a. High-Res midi was more difficult to manage than expected, for coherency in the UI, but also because there were small surprises here and there (High Res Velocity does not map exactly on the same 14-bit value space as the CC#0-31 ones, for example ... ).

So here's a screenshot :

The plugin can be downloaded here :

https://stash.reaper.fm/36581/MIDI%20CC%20Mapper%20X

Changelog:

- Added global settings pannel
- Added special control for adjusting the keyboard velocity curve
- Added global param to enable High-Res midi input (for input CC#0-31/32-63 and velocity with CC#88 norm) (default: off).
- Added per-control param to enable High-Res midi output (for output CC#0-31/32-63 and velocity with CC#88 norm) (default: off).
- Reworked UI to indicate High-Res midi behaviors.
- Added keyboard transpose options (enable/disable, 8vi, semi tones)
- Added "Drop unrouted CC messages" option (default: off).

This version might be subject to bugs since it contains big changes!
Talagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:28 AM   #42
Broojacker

Original transpose value is 8vi (2) semi (- 3). Could you set it to 0 0?
Velocity and CC works great. Thanks!
Broojacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:54 AM   #43
Talagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broojacker
Original transpose value is 8vi (2) semi (- 3). Could you set it to 0 0?
They shouldn't, so it's probable that the memory of the plugin has been corrupted. Have you replaced the "MIDI CC Mapper X" script while Reaper was running (doing so will screw up the memory of the plugin)?

It can also be a problem of compatibility for a project which was saved with an older version of the plugin, and open with the new one, though it should not happen (the file format has changed because there is more info inside, but I've tried to make this retro-compatible and the plugin should be able to load settings that were saved by an older version).

Can you try to relaunch Reaper, create a new track and add the plugin to it to see if you still have wrong default values? Could you reload your old project after having relaunched Reaper? Thanks!

Last edited by Talagan; 06-22-2019 at 04:13 AM.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:09 PM   #44
Broojacker

Very strange, I just installed new portable Reaper 5.979, redownloaded JS and problem repeated.
I work on Win 7 64 if it matters.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:01 PM   #45
Talagan

Hi Broojacker, thanks for the report. I work under MacOs, so I've downloaded Reaper & the plugin, and tried under windows 10, without seeing any problem. Are you working on a new project, or on a saved project ?
Old 06-25-2019, 10:08 AM   #46
Broojacker

Hi Talagan, sorry for the late reply.
I always test new scripts or plugin in new project and I did`t transfer my configuration to new portable Reaper.
Despite the problem with transposition, I continue to use your plugin.
Thanks for feedback!
Old 06-25-2019, 02:20 PM   #47
Talagan

Hi Broojacker, thanks a lot for your answer and your careful tests. What you report is problematic and it may highlight an underlying bug, where some variables are overflowing over other ones. I'll read carefully the source code this week to check for problems.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:21 AM   #48
LePixaliz

Hi Talagan,
I don't know why, your script stops midi notes outputs.
A video is worth a thousand words : https://i.imgur.com/WBbSDrC.mp4
Do you think you know what happened ? Did I do something wrong ?
LePixaliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:35 AM   #49
Talagan

Ooops, really sorry for that bug. It was introduced in 3.1a. There's quite a lot of code and it's a little bit harder to maintain. The problem was that I had introduced a control to tweak the velocity and edited some code to handle it. If that control (on the right) was not enabled all note velocities were set to 0 instead of just being kept. I've just fixed this, you can get the 3.1b version here :

https://stash.reaper.fm/36958/MIDI%20CC%20Mapper%20X

Anyway, thanks a lot for your bug report and having taken the time to make that video, which was very clear and helpful!
Old 08-28-2019, 10:20 AM   #50
LePixaliz

Thanks a lot for your fast bugfix !

I'm sorry to bother you but now the plugin is transposing all the notes even if "Transpose" is bypassed : https://i.imgur.com/OBxF9wU.mp4
In fact, it already did that on my other video.

I have to set the transpose to +1 oct and +9 semis to make it play the right notes.

Do you have any idea where the error is ?
Old 08-28-2019, 11:45 AM   #51
Talagan

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your fast bugfix !
Thanks a lot for your interest, this helps a lot to improve the plugin!

Quote:
I'm sorry to bother you but now the plugin is transposing all the notes even if "Transpose" is bypassed : https://i.imgur.com/OBxF9wU.mp4
In fact, it already did that on my other video.
Aw, this looks like the bug @Broojacker had already found a few weeks ago, but I misunderstood how it was obtained. It's much clearer now to me, when I've added keyboard features I messed up with the key number <> midi note conversion. This is now fixed, and you can get the new version here (V3.1C) :

https://stash.reaper.fm/36960/MIDI CC Mapper X

Anyway, thanks again for your help, I hope everything will work fine from now on.

Last edited by Talagan; 08-28-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:16 AM   #52
Broojacker

Thanks for transpose fix.
But my current projects will not like it
Old 08-29-2019, 02:42 AM   #53
Talagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broojacker
Thanks for transpose fix.
But my current projects will not like it
Aw, really sorry it took so long to fix. I had not understood the problem correctly, I thought it was a problem of initial values in the UI. Do you have a lot of tracks affected? I can see at least two ways of solving your problem :

- enable transposition in Mapper X and put values that will correct the input
- or, on a midi track, select all notes (cmd+a) and then transpose (t) to correct the input. It can be fastidious depending on how much work you've produced since then...
Old 08-29-2019, 02:43 AM   #54
LePixaliz

Thanks ! It works perfectly now !
Your script is so useful for me
Old 08-30-2019, 04:20 AM   #55
Talagan

Awesome, LePixaliz, and glad to see it helps Just tell me if you feel like there are missing features.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:38 AM   #56
mschnell

Could you publish it on ReaPack to make it findable /usable testable ?
-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:44 AM   #57
Talagan

Hi @mschnell, I've just published a PR on github through the official reapack uploader (great tool!). Is it ok for you, or should I create a private repo first?
Old 08-30-2019, 02:47 PM   #58
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talagan View Post
Hi @mschnell, I've just published a PR on github through the official reapack uploader (great tool!). Is it ok for you, or should I create a private repo first?
Christian will accept it if it's in appropriate form.

Thanks,
-Michael
Old 08-31-2019, 03:04 AM   #59
Talagan

Ok, thanks! Christian has merged the PR and the plugin is now available through ReaPack, from the ReaTeam JSFX repo.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:22 AM   #60
mschnell

Looks GREAT !
I'll do some tests with it ASAP...
-Michael
Old 09-02-2019, 04:52 AM   #61
Talagan

Thanks, Michael! Hope you'll enjoy using it and find a good use to it.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:33 AM   #62
lowellben

This is amazing. Is there anyway to lighten up the GUI though? I find the dark pitch black and dark grey knobs and text way way too difficult to see.

Can we tweak the background color please?
Old 09-24-2019, 08:01 AM   #63
TonE

Wonderful what you created here, did not test it yet, but this smooth feature is a great concept. Thanks a lot for sharing, I am a bit late to the party.

My main use case would be, for each sound of any synth, which you might like, you could then fine tune the velocity curve for your playing interface, mine would be korg nanopad 2 or k-board, so it would sound bestly, exactly optimized for that particular sound, then saving as a template for future reuse. So if you discover any patch is sounding better or more interesting in certain areas, you could fine tune for that range.

Last edited by TonE; 09-24-2019 at 10:42 AM.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:55 AM   #64
Talagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben
This is amazing. Is there anyway to lighten up the GUI though? I find the dark pitch black and dark grey knobs and text way way too difficult to see.

Can we tweak the background color please?
Hi, @lowellben and sorry for the late reply ; this required a bit of work and had a busy period lately. I wanted to do these improvements in a clean way, so I took the necessary time to refactor my code to allow to theme the plugin. It would have been complicated to give the opportunity to a user to tweak the background alone, for coherency reasons with the rest of the plugin (and I'm not sure there is a way to implement any kind of color picker in a JSFX). So instead, I've reworked the contrasts of the current theme (Dark) and added a new theme (Light). I hope this will satisfy your needs :-) . I personally prefer working with dark themes under slightly low luminosity and slightly high color saturation, it may impact the visibility of a theme on other screens.

So the new release (3.2) is now available through ReaPack !

Screenshots of the two themes are at the end of the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE
Wonderful what you created here, did not test it yet, but this smooth feature is a great concept. Thanks a lot for sharing, I am a bit late to the party.

My main use case would be, for each sound of any synth, which you might like, you could then fine tune the velocity curve for your playing interface, mine would be korg nanopad 2 or k-board, so it would sound bestly, exactly optimized for that particular sound, then saving as a template for future reuse. So if you discover any patch is sounding better or more interesting in certain areas, you could fine tune for that range.
Thanks a lot for your kind words! Your use case is very interesting (thanks for sharing), it's totally in the spirit of the plugin and why I designed it. My main use cases are first, to interface between the controller and VSTs when the range of a CC is not satisfactory, to make the CC feel good and prevent it from going outside a certain playing range, and secondly, to achieve combinations of left hand/right hand split with multi-instruments (like you would do in kontakt for example), by using multiple tracks at once.

Enjoy version 3.2!

Old 11-13-2019, 06:28 AM   #65
lowellben

You are amazing.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:12 PM   #66
Dex

This is awesome!

Would you consider adding channel selection boxes for everything? (So each midi CC source would have a channel selector that lets you select "all" or anything from 1-16, and same for each midi CC destination. Default for each control would be the current behavior, which appears to be "all.")
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 08:53 PM   #67
TonE

Until then you could create 16 tracks, 16 instances of above, to each a midi channel filter before, all as child tracks to a parent, vsti sitting in parent. Design to your dreams your layers. If each vsti should use only a single midi channels, they could sit on the child tracks as well.

A good first step could be allowing midi channel filtering not for each control, but each instance, so they could all sit in same track, but still not having any side effects. Then you could also have multiple vsti's in same track, if wanted so, most times it is more useful if each vsti sits on its own channel, better for later mixing.

Keyboard velocity looks magical, with the even more magical Smooth button below. Thanks a lot for sharing and improvements.

Last edited by TonE; 03-14-2020 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 04:12 AM   #68
DANIELE

Hi Talagan, first I love your plugin, thank you for your effort and your work, second I'd like to have the ability to set precise value in the in/out curve, do you think it could be possible?

Thank you so much.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:29 AM   #69
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANIELE View Post
second I'd like to have the ability to set precise value in the in/out curve, do you think it could be possible?
Why??
Old 03-15-2020, 08:42 AM   #70
DANIELE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Why??

Well, for example because with SM strings I know, because of the script, I will hear something only after value 8 so I would like to set the minimum of the curve at that exact value to avoid having a silent range from 0 to 7 in midi CC lane when I draw or record them.

Something like that or something similar.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:13 AM   #71
TonE

Thanks, now everyone knows why.
Old 03-15-2020, 03:11 PM   #72
DANIELE

Quote:
Thanks, now everyone knows why.

Thank you too for asking.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:27 PM   #73
Talagan

Hi Dex, TonE, DANIELE and thanks a lot for your interest! I'd be happy to add any feature. It might take a few days though, and a bit of discussion too.

Regarding the first feature, channel routing, I think it's doable, the trickiest part being having a clear, self-explanatory UI. As I see it (which is pretty much what Dex has described), I'd go for an additional parameter for the MIDI src, with its mate parameter for the MIDI dst, the second one being "scoped" by the first one :
  • Possible values for the "channel" src param : "ANY" (or "ALL"), 1, 2, 3 .... 16
  • Possible values for the "channel" dst param :
    • If src = ANY, then no choice is offered, the behavior is "same as src"
    • If src = 1,2, ..., 16, then anything from 1,2 .... 16 is offered

I make these remarks because if the [ANY -> 1-16] or [1-16 -> ANY] configurations were offered, it would mean channel merging or inversely message duplication, and I'm not totally sure it is in the spirit of the plugin (or useful in some circumstances). For example, the plugin does not offer CC message duplication (one CC to multiple CCs) ; that's why I'd stick to a "one src to one dst" scheme. But this is open to discussion and I'd like your opinion :-)

Regarding the second feature, manual value edition, this is something I've already considered ; as it is, the difficulty is in the UI, not in the feature itself. The problem comes from the fact that the curves may be applied to MIDI CC in low res, MIDI CC in high res, or MIDI note velocity low and high res. These types of messages have different ranges of possible values and mappings : only MIDI low res CC/velocity go from 0 to 127, MIDI CC high res uses two bytes, and note velocity in high res uses yet another format. To illustrate the problem, for example, the max of the curve is 127 for low res, but MSB=127/LSB=127 for High res and something even more complex for High Res velocity ; the minimum of the curve is at 0 for Low/High Res CC, but iirc at MSB=1/LSB=0 for high res velocity - MSB=0 being reserved to NOTE OFF for low res compliancy. I have hidden all that MIDI headache by only providing a curve from [0..1] to [0..1] whatever the resolution/CC/velocity, and by performing the adequate conversions under the hood ; it gives the user a quick analogical feel and it merges all use cases into one flow so that you don't have to bother about all that stuff. Providing direct edition to the key values would thus be very painful (especially in high res where you would have to enter MSB and LSB and care about how the MIDI values are encoded) and probably hard to uniformize between the different MIDI resolutions/CC/Velocity.

What I'd propose instead (and hope it would cover the vast majority of use cases), is some kind of "clamping" feature. You'd only set a minimum and maximum boundaries for your curve by providing a floating number for the min and the max, between 0 and 1 ; the pen draw would be restricted to that zone, and if you click on one of the curve from the library, it would be deformed to fit in between min and max. Additionaly (maybe, to be discussed), a hint would be given in the UI to indicate the MSB (and LSB, if pertinent) corresponding to these min/max boundaries, if you really need that precise info. Of course, it's a proposition and open to discussion too

Ben

Last edited by Talagan; 03-16-2020 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:11 PM   #74
TonE

What is hi-res velocity, never heard of it? Where does it exist and is used?
Old 03-16-2020, 03:43 PM   #75
Vagelis

Nice work man thnx!!

About the bezier curve that you mention on start , it's pretty easy to implement a 3 point Bezier with adjustable curve, i made it lately in Reaktor for a project that i 'm working on with the following equation:

e.g x0-y0=start point, x1-y1= middle point to adjust the curve, x2-y2=end point.

Here's how it looks
https://imgur.com/a/cTR5OpO?fbclid=I...guw5s6IK8ri_EE
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:06 AM   #76
mschnell

Quote:
Similar to HighRes CC, with a Note-On message a second Midi message is sent for the low 7 bits of the velocity value. This increases the velocity resolution from 127 to more than 16000 steps. (Even I as a mediocre hobby-pianist, using the very nice VPC1 keyboard sometime thing that 127 velocity steps is not as much as I would like.)

There are some expensive Midi Master Keyboards that send this protocol.
-Michael
Old 03-17-2020, 01:21 AM   #77
Talagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE

It's part of the MIDI specification, and was adopted in 2010 by the MIDI Manufacturer Association ; it's known as the "CC #88 High Resolution Velocity Prefix (CA-031)", and it's what I've implemented in the plugin. I followed the spec given here :

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=83782

@Vagelis : I'm familiar with bezier curves, B-splines and all kind of interpolators as I've implemented them a lot in more graphical projects. I had forgotten having mentioned them here and having pondered to use them, but I understand why : I wanted a different approach, very fast to use and analogical, but also I was discovering the scripting langage and would not want to deal with multiple control point drag and drop add remove UI stuff - if it were to be implemented, then it would **have** to have multiple control points. The pen approach is cool imho, I don't want to remove it. So I could potentially add multi-point Bezier editing AND keep the pen mode, but that would lead to another issue, which is how you approximate a random curve by a serie of bezier curves (when you switch from the pen mode to bezier and don't want the user from losing his/her curve). Anyway, I don't think it's a priority, but I may be wrong, it depends on the users of course
Old 03-17-2020, 05:38 AM   #78
Vagelis

Quote:
So I could potentially add multi-point Bezier editing AND keep the pen mode, but that would lead to another issue, which is how you approximate a random curve by a serie of bezier curves (when you switch from the pen mode to bezier and don't want the user from losing his/her curve)
Gotcha, no need to remove pen mode , but the next thing that you mention about random curve and the switch from pen to bezier makes lot of sense. Maybe the bezier could be something unique and separate from the other modes, without the option to randomize the curve.
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:38 AM   #79
TonE

Quote:
It's part of the MIDI specification, and was adopted in 2010 by the MIDI Manufacturer Association ; it's known as the "CC #88 High Resolution Velocity Prefix (CA-031)", and it's what I've implemented in the plugin. I followed the spec given here :

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=83782
I see, cool. Which vsti (free) do support this? But bestly, audio to midi converters could use this at least, also the newly published MK Slicer, for example, just not to lose information which is already in the audio recording or stream. All drum trigger tools could or should use this. Thanks Talagan that you implemented this new technology already.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:54 PM   #80
Talagan

Quote:
I see, cool. Which vsti (free) do support this? But bestly, audio to midi converters could use this at least, also the newly published MK Slicer, for example, just not to lose information which is already in the audio recording or stream. All drum trigger tools could or should use this. Thanks Talagan that you implemented this new technology already.
You're welcome! I'd have completely miss that part without one of the challenging remark of @mschnell. When I discovered the existence of high res velocity I was also surprised that it could make any difference. But it is probably useful if a precise range of samples is transformed and amplified in the MIDI chain, idk